• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

I just picked up my new(ish) Pro Ject Debut III turntable from a friend who sold me his 5 month old model for $200. I'm fuckin stoked right now and it sounds beautiful as an upgrade from my Sony PS-T3.

Now I just need to upgrade my speakers. Then my receiver.

Beauty Shot

and 3 pick ups
Bill Evans Trio - Moon Beam
LCD Soundsystem - 45:33
Dirty Projectors - Bitte Orca

and one copy of Run The Jewels signed by both Killer Mike and El-P

Untitlednoqu4.jpg

Wow, awesome pickup with then signed Run the Jewels LP

BeeDog

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees, my Soulection: Time In Between arrived today. To put it into perspective, I pre-ordered the fucker in February.

So worth it though, just look at the tracklist:

1. Supachip - Supacomputer Love 02:38
2. Lakim - Lvrs 02:03
3. Ta-ku - Handful 02:45
4. Sango - On My Mind All The Time 02:37
5. Bosstone - Static 03:00
6. Holygrailers - Black 02:58
7. Vincent-Paolo - Idle Hands 03:32
8. Sweater Beats - Magic 02:59
9. Sivey - Cause and Effect 03:03
10. Koen - 1018 02:25
11. JuSoul - Beginner's Pottery 02:28
12. Teebs - Duck Melody (Co.Fee Remix) 02:07
13. Glenn Astro & IMYRMIND - Time In Between 02:24
14. Sam A La Bamalot - So Long Sunshine 04:24
15. Evil Needle - Summertime 02:47

Listen to it!
Bandcamp
Spotify

Any suggestions for a decent preamp? I have a mixer but really its aload of shite as I cant mix with just a cross fade.. so its not worth having my whole setup out right now.

Few on amazon for £20 sounded ok?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Nice, I got an acrylic platter to avoid using mats and I like the look of it a lot, especially with translucent vinyl

I'm definitely going to go acrylic, but later when I start working again next month. The size of the metal platter is just too small! and apparently they corrected that with the acrylic. So I guess I kinda need to.

So I've started cataloging my collection with Discogs and now I hate myself because it made me realize that I need to properly reorganize my records.

wenis

Get ready to start noticing holes in your collection too. You'll want to start finishing full band discographies and hunting down rare singles and shit.

Get ready to start noticing holes in your collection too. You'll want to start finishing full band discographies and hunting down rare singles and shit.

Oh well I have 2 3 and 4.. better get 1..
£30!!! for one vinyl!?
ah but man then id have the set..

Rinse and repeat.

217 records later, not counting the 2 that Discogs didn't have, I now have all my records on Discogs. Now begins the fun task of reorganizing it all in alphabetical order.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
217 records later, not counting the 2 that Discogs didn't have, I now have all my records on Discogs. Now begins the fun task of reorganizing it all in alphabetical order.

It's totally worth it when you're all done, though. The best/worst part is when you keep stopping to listen to an album you haven't heard in awhile.

Dwayne

I'll do it eventually, although I'm not exactly in a hurry to add a filipino pressing of "Elvis Greatest Hits".

Oh, adding an alternative print of an existing record is even easier, it's 2-3 minutes work. When you have time, go to the master release, click "Your version not on Discogs? Add a release" and it'll create a draft based off the master release. Then you just have to alter what makes yours different (manufacturer, country of origin, maybe the label id) and save.

As you can tell, i'm a little bit enthusiastic about this sort of thing >:D

Oh, adding an alternative print of an existing record is even easier, it's 2-3 minutes work. When you have time, go to the master release, click "Your version not on Discogs? Add a release" and it'll create a draft based off the master release. Then you just have to alter what makes yours different (manufacturer, country of origin, maybe the label id) and save.

I looked through all the other similar releases and none of them seem like the right one but I'll look again at some point. Otherwise I'll just add it myself and do the right thing like you said.

That's really helpful, wish I knew that earlier today

Yesterday I organized my 7"'s because I was certain I had lost some records while DJ'ing. Took me about 4 hours. What a chore! And it seemed that all the records were there.

Alebrije

Why in some places I read that Direct-drive, high-torque motor turntables are the best , but here all the 3 models sugested in the OP are belt-driven?

Does Audio Technica its a good brand comparedo the ones in the OP? that´s because I plant to get soon a turn table and this model seems fine :

Audio-Technica AT-LP120-USB Direct-Drive Professional Turntable (USB & Analog)

Amazon link : http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002S1CJ2Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I appreciate your help....thx.

Posted these on the pics thread , my favorite band :

image.png

dm2.png

Dwayne

Why in some places I read that Direct-drive, high-torque motor turntables are the best , but here all the 3 models sugested in the OP are belt-driven?
Because there's more to a great turn table than just belt-driven vs. direct drive. These 3 models are the best you can get for under $500, and happen to be belt-driven. I'm sure if we had a over $500 section, we'd have some direct drive's in there.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Why in some places I read that Direct-drive, high-torque motor turntables are the best

I don't know why you would have read that, most serious listeners prefer belt driven because it allows you to move the motor (and its noise) further away from the stylus. When you get in to really dumbass high end stuff the motor is a complete separate unit not even attached to the table, other than by the belt.

Also thanks guys for showing me I can catalog my collection in Discogs, like I've really got time for that shit. So now I either do it or live with the uneasiness of going against my archiving nature.

wenis

Also thanks guys for showing me I can catalog my collection in Discogs, like I've really got time for that shit. So now I either do it or live with the uneasiness of going against my archiving nature.

ONE OF US. ONE OF US. ONE OF US. ONE OF US. ONE OF US. ONE OF US. ONE OF US. ONE OF US. ONE OF US. ONE OF US. ONE OF US. ONE OF US.

STG!

I don't know why you would have read that, most serious listeners prefer belt driven because it allows you to move the motor (and its noise) further away from the stylus. When you get in to really dumbass high end stuff the motor is a complete separate unit not even attached to the table, other than by the belt.

Exactly, on top of that, direct drive is best for DJ's into mixing. That's it. If all you're doing is playing a record the sound quality on a high end belt drive is amazing.

I'd post up my discogs page, but I don't have my collection listed. :)

Alebrije

Exactly, on top of that, direct drive is best for DJ's into mixing. That's it. If all you're doing is playing a record the sound quality on a high end belt drive is amazing.

I'd post up my discogs page, but I don't have my collection listed. :)

I guess I get it know , the sources I read were more from Technics DJ users , so that is why they use direct drive instead of belt drive.

wenis

Having used a direct drive to going to a belt I can say the sound improvement was ten fold and immediately noticeable. The room of the record breathed more, especially older records when they'd master directly from the original tape. It's like a whole other world.

You guys noticed discogs updated their website today? Made the front page a bit more streamlined and easier to jump between dashboard, collection, wantlist...

STG!

I guess I get it know , the sources I read were more from Technics DJ users , so that is why they use direct drive instead of belt drive.

Yeah, makes sense. I have 3 Techs myself (mix as well as produce) so I do have a bit of an addiction to them! :)

But for just listening, you'll absolutely love a quality belt drive. My father recently got a Marantz reference series turntable and the deck looks and sounds amazing.

Top Bottom