• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

amnesiac

Has anyone ever bought a reissue from this company?

http://store.acousticsounds.com/s/101/Blue_Note_45_RPM_-_Analogue_Productions_Reissues

The reissues seem to be very high quality but pricey. I'm debating if I should look into buying these or try to go after the original or early pressings of albums.

You need to check out the Steve Hoffman audiophile forum. Search for the specific Blue Note and they will have opinions on it. Most knowledgable vinyl forum on the internet IMO.

Dwayne

I have my records alphabetically, but I break all the rules too, specifically I use first name rather than last. It just makes sense to me, it's Leonard Cohen not Cohen, Leonard!

I have my records alphabetically, but I break all the rules too, specifically I use first name rather than last. It just makes sense to me, it's Leonard Cohen not Cohen, Leonard!

I also go by first name, the first name of artists are just as known as their last names

I also went by first name, it just made more sense for most of the artists. Also that's how Discogs had it organized in my collection so it was easy to just copy that.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
This is as cool in person as I was hoping.

tumblr_mrnel2ZA391qjbrwqo1_1280.jpg

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I was listening to the second disc of the Fog last night, and man, Carpenter was so ahead of his time. All the sound cues function as an a pretty incredible drone album, easily as effective as anything the current guys on the synth scene are putting out.

opoth

Banned
Not sure if this has been posted yet anywhere on Neogaf (search results did not reveal much), but this might interest some people here.

Boards of Canada reissues:

https://bleep.com/boards-of-canada-reissues

edit: great first post, this has already been posted on the last page! :/

That's okay, these guys are worth the bump. And that 12x12 print gives me those feels, can't wait for my records to show up. Wish I'd bought the originals years ago before I was into vinyl!

Shit I'm on the verge of discoging my collection because of you guys. Movie GAF already made me my life a compulsive ticking hell, this has got to stop.

Edit: these listings are interesting though. I thought my pink LP of Björk's Post would be rare and that Daft Punk 5xLPs combo (Homework/Discovery/Alive 1997) was pretty common. Hell, Alive 1997 on vinyl alone seems pretty sought after. I'm glad I held up to them.

STG!

Be careful with GEMM and Musicstack, you might want to make sure the seller has been active on the site lately. I remember finding a few things I wanted but I noticed the seller did a disappearing act...

Also, if you're after music from a specific genre, you might want to find a forum that caters to it and has a buy/sell/trade section. You'll typically deal with people who aren't big time sellers, and I find the quality of used vinyl from these guys tends to be a bit higher/more accurate. Been doing that myself for years!

amnesiac

Be careful with GEMM and Musicstack, you might want to make sure the seller has been active on the site lately. I remember finding a few things I wanted but I noticed the seller did a disappearing act...

Also, if you're after music from a specific genre, you might want to find a forum that caters to it and has a buy/sell/trade section. You'll typically deal with people who aren't big time sellers, and I find the quality of used vinyl from these guys tends to be a bit higher/more accurate. Been doing that myself for years!

The seller's last transaction was last month, so I'm feeling hopeful.

STG!

The seller's last transaction was last month, so I'm feeling hopeful.

Nice, you're good. ;-)

I should check GEMM more often, just for curiosity. They kind of gave away the one-stop record selling marketplace to a more thought-out site design like discogs, searching for tunes on GEMM was always a hassle.

Found a sealled copy of Daft Punk's Tron soundtrack yesterday. Bought it to flip because it sells for insane money and I think it sucks as both a soundtrack and a Daft Punk album.

nitewulf

Because there's more to a great turn table than just belt-driven vs. direct drive. These 3 models are the best you can get for under $500, and happen to be belt-driven. I'm sure if we had a over $500 section, we'd have some direct drive's in there.

most audiophile grade turntables are belt driven.

In my mind a good rule of thumb for belt drive / direct drive is high maintenance/easy to fix (BD), low maintenance/hard to fix (DD). Belt drive is taxing to the belt itself, which is super easy to change (on most TT's). But when your DD's motor goes kaputt, that's often it for the TT itself.

pablito

finally managed to take some pics of the collection i started. been 2 months so far. right now i'm just running through an audio technica at-lp60 with some computer speakers. going to upgrading to something better in the coming months though.

i'll post more pics as soon as find out how the image resizing stuff works. but here's a couple.

DTPDuqv.jpg
IsX4WNn.jpg

lil ugly mane mista thug isolation. my favorite one. mainly because i barely missed out buying it from the label and it was already super hard to get.

xzKWZeI.jpg
W1wDEsJ.jpg

gorguts - colored sands. i coulda got the red and yellow one but i preferred the clear. one of my favorites this year.

Ngfl0OW.jpg
ZFUdB8M.jpg

from top to bottom. thee oh sees - carrion crawler/the dream; coachwhips - bangers vs fuckers; thee oh sees - the master's bedroom is worth spending a night in and thee oh sees - floating coffin. floating coffin is just regular black. the red is coachwhips. love me some john dwyer.

CRS

Grabbed after dark 2, their prices are amazing by the way, partly a reason I buy as much as I do from them, others labels take note

They've thrown in free CDs for me in the past as well. Great label.
Yep. This and Death Waltz are some of my favorite places. If only Death Waltz was a little cheaper with shipping but other than that, great attention to detail and respect to the product.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Oh god I really want a copy of After Dark 2 in the 1st run, but I need to wait till pay day on friday.... -_-

shit is gunna sell out. i can feel it.

Yep. This and Death Waltz are some of my favorite places. If only Death Waltz was a little cheaper with shipping but other than that, great attention to detail and respect to the product.

Death waltz is $5 shipping from UK, that's cheaper then shipping from many American places lol

Someone tell me what after dark 2 is, I wanna fit in

It's a compilation of different artists from the label "Italians do it better". I believe the tracks are from yet unreleased albums.

It's quite good although I enjoyed After Dark 1 much more (alro both latest LP's from Chromatics and that one record from Beatbox are great).

You should be able to listen to pretty much all of this on soundcloud or something.

from top to bottom. thee oh sees - carrion crawler/the dream; coachwhips - bangers vs fuckers; thee oh sees - the master's bedroom is worth spending a night in and thee oh sees - floating coffin. floating coffin is just regular black. the red is coachwhips. love me some john dwyer.
John Dwyer and Ty Segall for life.

CRS

Death waltz is $5 shipping from UK, that's cheaper then shipping from many American places lol
Just looked at my receipt and it's not as much as I thought it was, huh. i guess I confused it for a different company. Also, I guess I've been spoiled by Amazon, haha.

Flynn

Went on a huge binge while working in LA. Bummed about the state of Amoeba's vinyl, but Vacation more than made up for it (tho they are expensive). This represents a fifth of what I grabbed.

SN6mEetl.jpg

Top left is Watain's "The Wild Hunt" bootleg edition.
Top right is Graveyard's "Hisengen Blues."

http://waxworkrecords.com/product/day-of-the-dead/

Waxwork Records’ pressing of John Harrison’s Day Of The Dead soundtrack is now on sale through the label’s webstore. The score has been remastered for vinyl from the original tapes and has been pressed in a 2xLP, 180-gram, colored vinyl package. The first 300 orders are on “zombie flesh and blood” vinyl, while the remainder are on yellow and green vinyl.In regards to the physical presentation, the records are housed in gatefold artwork by Jay Shaw that also includes notes from director George A. Romero and composer Harrison.

An 11″x22″ poster is included with your purchase.

I'm thinking the 300 zombie flesh/blood vinyl are likely gone by now or close to at least

pablito

couple more pics of my first hauls

IgacX7t.jpg
Bqs5ney.jpg
LCD9tZO.jpg

godflesh - streetcleaner (splatter), jesu - jesu (brown marble) and swans - filth

MFRzgZp.jpg

hades archer - for the diabolical ages. gf bought this for my birthday. she could possibly be one of the only gfs on the planet to do so lol. <3

not 100% sure on the policy for nudity in art. i have the same picture without the bars if it is ok to post.

Top Bottom