• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

BenN

Just hooked up my Shure Mx97e! Sounds great.

That's the cart I use on my set up. I went through 2 faulty units, and am on my third replacement now. It seems to be working fine so far! The last 2 had channel drop out issues...lost the right or left channel completely.

I really like it despite those initial issues. Also I recently upgraded the stylus on it to a Jico SAS:

http://stylus.export-japan.com/product_info.php?products_id=1526

I have not done a A/B for sound comparison yet as I find cartridge alignment to be a painful process on my head shell, but its definitely an improvement. Much more clarity and separation of sounds, even on my very non audiophile set up.

The only issue (and the fact sheet that comes with it says as much) is that the SAS is a lot more sensitive to dirt (and scratches/damage).
I've noticed more skips/noise/etc on LP's that previously had none or little, but the trade off in sound quality is definitely worth it.

You have to wait a bit once you buy one as they are all made to order....they do SAS for many different carts too.

couple more pics of my first hauls

IgacX7t.jpg
Bqs5ney.jpg
LCD9tZO.jpg

godflesh - streetcleaner (splatter), jesu - jesu (brown marble) and swans - filth

Great haul. I've got that same Kreation Records of Streetcleaner. I have the original press of Godflesh S/T as well :D

I want that Swans - Filth vinyl.

hhv.de is doing free worldwide shipping on orders over 200 euros and since I just flipped the Daft Punk Tron soundtrack for $300 I used my profit to place a huge order.

Deceptikon - Greater Cascadia EP
Tendts - Slow Years EP
Andre Bratten - Be A Man You Ant 2LP
Supreme Cuts - Trouble EP
en2ak - Celestial Toyroom LP
Philipp Gorbachev - In The Delta EP
Glass Animals - Leaflings EP
Alias - Eyes Closed EP
Starkey - Open The Pod Bay Doors EP
William Arcane - Permanence EP
Microburst - Hadal Lagoon EP
Karl-Marx-Stadt - III: 1999-2009 2LP
Polinski - Labyrinths LP
Frederik Schikowski - In Geordneten Verhältnissen LP
Hepp - Platterton EP
1000 Names - Machine City EP
ELOQ - Galactic Neckbreaks EP
Busy - Moths EP
Luke Abbott - Honeycomb EP
Daisuke Tanabe - Flowers On A Wall EP
Machine Drum - Urban Biology 2LP
Luke Wyatt - Teen Hawk LP
Chapelier Fou - 613 2LP
Young Montana? - Limerence 2LP

Awww yeeaaahhh managed to get a copy of The Weeknds House of Balloons.
I like his other albums alot but that is my favorite so proper happy to have a physical copy of it.

Should arrive tomorrow :)

CRS

Awww yeeaaahhh managed to get a copy of The Weeknds House of Balloons.
I like his other albums alot but that is my favorite so proper happy to have a physical copy of it.

Should arrive tomorrow :)

That's the bootleg though right? The picture of the girl on the giant ball?

CRS

Haha really? well ill take it for what it is. Only cost £15 including shipping. Sod paying $300+ for the boxset version.

Discogs link http://www.discogs.com/Weeknd-House-Of-Balloons/release/4851821

Haha, yeah. It's probably the same company that does all the bootlegs. Usually it's on a clear vinyl (there are exceptions) and it says "Limited Edition", it's from them. My Frank Ocean LPs are bootlegs (they have Limited Edition on the sleeve) and they're not bad at all and they have the official album covers.

The different album cover is the reason why I didn't buy the House of Balloons LP in a heartbeat. Still pissed about the "signed" Trilogy boxset fiasco. They're all really good releases and it's a shame that they abused their power over the fans there. Fucking assholes.

Haha, yeah. It's probably the same company that does all the bootlegs. Usually it's on a clear vinyl (there are exceptions) and it says "Limited Edition", it's from them. My Frank Ocean LPs are bootlegs (they have Limited Edition on the sleeve) and they're not bad at all and they have the official album covers.

The different album cover is the reason why I didn't buy the House of Balloons LP in a heartbeat. Still pissed about the "signed" Trilogy boxset fiasco. They're all really good releases and it's a shame that they abused their power over the fans there. Fucking assholes.

Ahh I just went through a 40 page thread about it all on some google result forum.
Seems they didnt use the cover because the company wouldn't use the boob one and wouldn't accept the safe version after.
They also mentioned the Frank Ocean one as well actually.

pablito

John Dwyer and Ty Segall for life.

definitely. i haven't quite gone through all of ty's stuff yet, though, but he's pretty cool.

Great haul. I've got that same Kreation Records of Streetcleaner. I have the original press of Godflesh S/T as well :D

I want that Swans - Filth vinyl.

thanks man. saw the swans album posted up on the wall at my local shop and grabbed that bad boy immediately. sadly they don't have any other swans albums. i want white light so bad.

last pics of my first hauls

k52X7BA.jpg

we all know these. the beatles - abbey road, white album. pink floyd - animals. al di meola - elegant gypsy. all 4 of these probably cost no more than 15 bucks total.

UQmc4OS.jpg

GbxJGjY.jpg

integrity - suicide black snake

kMH1UhP.jpg

captain beyond - s/t, incubus - science

CRS

Ahh I just went through a 40 page thread about it all on some google result forum.
Seems they didnt use the cover because the company wouldn't use the boob one and wouldn't accept the safe version after.
They also mentioned the Frank Ocean one as well actually.
Gotcha. Yeah, it's a shame and I wish they put a little more effort into the sleeve. They should have kept the tracks in the front and overall clean it up.

There's images large enough of the album cover to edit a different picture in place of the naked woman in the tub. I guess I'm just picky since I love the tape so much.

RDreamer

Picked up some decent copies of The Who "Tommy," Elton John "Tumbleweed Connection," Rick Wakeman "Journey to the Center of the Earth," and Jethro Tull "Songs from the Wood" for 80 cents a piece. They were at Half Price Books in the clearance section, and they had a 20% off sale. They're a bit scuffed, but seem to play well enough for me.

Gotcha. Yeah, it's a shame and I wish they put a little more effort into the sleeve. They should have kept the tracks in the front and overall clean it up.

There's images large enough of the album cover to edit a different picture in place of the naked woman in the tub. I guess I'm just picky since I love the tape so much.
Got it today, thought Id put some pics up.

mMV7ciW.jpg

kUaQ8d5.jpg

4YWDPYk.jpg

Appleman

How does it sound? Also, I like how it has Abel's "signature" on it.

I'm curious too, I'm kind of still regretting not jumping on the official Trilogy set, but 500 copies at $199 with a bogus signature? Fuck off.

EDIT: Also, what ever happened to the official Channel Orange vinyl? I remember keeping my eye on the Amazon page and then it just.... never came out?

CRS

I'm curious too, I'm kind of still regretting not jumping on the official Trilogy set, but 500 copies at $199 with a bogus signature? Fuck off.

EDIT: Also, what ever happened to the official Channel Orange vinyl? I remember keeping my eye on the Amazon page and then it just.... never came out?
An official channel ORANGE vinyl never came out. A bootleg company released a print though. A couple actually with one being on gray vinyl and the other on black. Not sure if they ever put it on orange vinyl but I don't think they did.

Sounds good. I mean I have a rather shitty setup and Im no audiophile but it plays and looks nice so Im happy.
One on black the other is like marble white.
They added a song on the end and I think they have used a few of the remastered versions (pressing company not willing to use certain ones I believe) but nothing that really takes away from it.

Well worth £15 to me anyway.

CRS

Sounds good. I mean I have a rather shitty setup and Im no audiophile but it plays and looks nice so Im happy.
One on black the other is like marble white.
They added a song on the end and I think they have used a few of the remastered versions (pressing company not willing to use certain ones I believe) but nothing that really takes away from it.

Well worth £15 to me anyway.
That's good to hear. I might change my mind on picking one up now, heh.

The manufacturers probably used a CD rip from the Trilogy release and used that for the vinyl pressings. That's probably why the remastered tracks are on there and the extra track Twenty-Eight.

They probably will release the other two eventually so I guess I should get the bootlegs.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
I don't see the point of buying something like Beatles LP's as reissues as early pressings are easily available for cheaper price.

It's not a 1:1 comparison, though. If you want to buy Beatles records in the closest form to their original vision, then you are looking at spending quite a bit more money than these reissues cost. There's a reason why those Parlophone pressings command such premiums compared to what Capitol put out in the U.S.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.

I'm more worried about that basic ass label pressing they did. for $200 bucks they should have put more effort into the quality of the build (Daft Punk and Queens of the Stone Age put out amazing releases, especially QOTSA with their deluxe edition being the best LP packaging all year).

were they 180g? or 120?

I'm pretty glad I didnt end up biting on it as a pre-order. I'll wait for some German bootleg pressings. Even if they're not studio quality audio I think they'd give it a bit more love than that.

CRS

I'm more worried about that basic ass label pressing they did. for $200 bucks they should have put more effort into the quality of the build (Daft Punk and Queens of the Stone Age put out amazing releases, especially QOTSA with their deluxe edition being the best LP packaging all year).

were they 180g? or 120?

I'm pretty glad I didnt end up biting on it as a pre-order. I'll wait for some German bootleg pressings. Even if they're not studio quality audio I think they'd give it a bit more love than that.
Jonlenham got the bootleg release which is the record I was asking about.

I'm pretty sure the description that the Weeknd's store had for the Trilogy box set mentioned 180g vinyl. Having the tape on 180g vinyl was nowhere near enough incentive for me to consider buying the box set. Seriously, fuck Abel and his crew for charging almost $70 dollars for one release. And I'm kinda glad that the people did get screwed over by having a stamp of Abel's "signature" when the bootlegs have the same thing.

Jonlenham got the bootleg release which is the record I was asking about.

I'm pretty sure the description that the Weeknd's store had for the Trilogy box set mentioned 180g vinyl. Having the tape on 180g vinyl was nowhere near enough incentive for me to consider buying the box set. Seriously, fuck Abel and his crew for charging almost $70 dollars for one release. And I'm kinda glad that the people did get screwed over by having a stamp of Abel's "signature" when the bootlegs have the same thing.

Not that it means much, but he did have to then go back and sign 500 lithograph covers to send to everyone that had bought one.
I think if I had the money at the time I probably would have bit.
The guy that sorted the bootleg was on about doing the next two and then a cover housing for all three. That for about £65-£75 total is more what i was expecting to pay for the real release.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow

Japan - Gentlemen Take Polaroids, Quiet Life, The Tin Drum

Led Zep - Houses of the Holy, IV
R.E.M. - Lifes Rich Pageant, Document
Talking Heads - 77
(all 1st editions)

Natural Snow Buildings, Isengrind, Twin Sister Moon - The Snowbringer Cult 4 LP set

J-Walk - Jaywalk
Hikashu - The Human Being
Madonna - True Blue/Super Club Mixes Japanese EP (thanks to Moblin, Sai-Kun and Acrid for this!)
Mark Hollis - selt-titled LP
Le Crunch - white label New Order/Peter Gabriel remixes

-Mikey-

Surprised no one has posted one of these yet:

So happy I was able to get one of those. My local record shop wasn't on the list, but they got a few in.

I also received After Dark 2. They were super nice and threw in 4 CD's and 2 stickers. Stuff like that will keep me coming back.

omgkitty

Also got this in. I like it, but I'm kind of disappointed that it only comes in a clear sleeve. I like the original artwork on the standard LP, and this is a limited edition pink hand stamped vinyl, but still wanted the gatefold to go with it, so it's a win-lose for me. Oh yeah, it's Holy Ghost! "Dynamics" in case you didn't know what it is.

amnesiac

Does anyone have a store called 2nd And Charles near them? One is opening up near me and it says on their website they sell used vinyl.

BenN

Does anyone use Mofi sleeves?

I do...or at least I have brought a single pack and am re sleeving as I play records.

They seem pretty good...though i have come across some that would go against the claim on the package that they are non scratching...some have bits of hard...something between the layers, spikes in the poly/plastic etc. Which could potentially scratch records I guess.

Top Bottom