• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

Simpsonology

Neo Member
I've got a pretty rare LP in my collection today, Menomena Friends and Foe, brand new which is, IMO, the best cover design of all times. Here is what makes this packaging so awesome (pics are not made by me):
http://imgur.com/a/fabXZ

and here is mine(sorry for crappy quality):

2Q9RCWL.jpg

Wonder if they are analog pressings. Pointless if not.

I'm guessing they will be the same as before, was the original 808 pressing analog?

But not having to pay stupidly high prices for 808s and Slim Shady LP is worth it for me, the slick rick repress is great also.

DMX best two albums on gold and blood splattered vinyl will be very hard for me to resist

amnesiac

I'm guessing they will be the same as before, was the original 808 pressing analog?

But not having to pay stupidly high prices for 808s and Slim Shady LP is worth it for me, the slick rick repress is great also.

DMX best two albums on gold and blood splattered vinyl will be very hard for me to resist

Jeez, never knew 808 was so much money. $190 on Discogs? Wow.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Took waaay too long to get this (there was an issue with the UK distrib, I was told) but it's still my favorite thing from this year and I'm thrilled to have it finally.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
JhwbQoV.jpg

Picked up some classics and the new Man Or Astro-Man, which is actually totally kick ass and way better than anything they put out after Project Infinity. Also Recipe for Hate probably isn't a classic, but it's my favorite Bad Religion album. Also just in case since it's so cool to not put titles on anything anymore (even the MOAM title is just a little piece of paper folder over the top): In The Aeroplane Over The Sea, Siamese Dream reissue, and Endtroducing.

I've got a pretty rare LP in my collection today, Menomena Friends and Foe, brand new which is, IMO, the best cover design of all times. Here is what makes this packaging so awesome (pics are not made by me):
http://imgur.com/a/fabXZ

and here is mine(sorry for crappy quality):

2Q9RCWL.jpg

Oh man! I have been trying to pick this up. Glad to see another Menomena fan on GAF. Can't wait to see them with Helio Sequence in October.

JhwbQoV.jpg

Picked up some classics and the new Man Or Astro-Man, which is actually totally kick ass and way better than anything they put out after Project Infinity. Also Recipe for Hate probably isn't a classic, but it's my favorite Bad Religion album. Also just in case since it's so cool to not put titles on anything anymore (even the MOAM title is just a little piece of paper folder over the top): In The Aeroplane Over The Sea, Siamese Dream reissue, and Endtroducing.

Heh, I bought Recipe for Hate on vinyl just a couple of months ago. High five for good taste!

-Mikey-

The new Chvrches album arrived. Wasn't even aware of the group last week and now it's one of my favorites of the year. Pleasantly surprised to see it's a heavy pressing.

It's cool to see the horror film scores/soundtracks get more popular and grow to various labels.

There are like 4-5 labels (mondo, death waltz, waxwork...) now dedicated to horror films, it's getting a little over saturated now. Would like more non horror soundtracks being released on vinyl

-Mikey-

Oh yeah, ditto. Would love for Beyond the Black Rainbow to be pressed. Hell, even a digital version!

I'm looking forward to Solaris and Valhalla Rising. Gonna nab the 7'' Wanna Fight since it was the only track I liked from Only God Forgives.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Oh yeah, ditto. Would love for Beyond the Black Rainbow to be pressed. Hell, even a digital version!

I'm looking forward to Solaris and Valhalla Rising. Gonna nab the 7'' Wanna Fight since it was the only track I liked from Only God Forgives.

whaaaa, where is that getting released from?

I've got an old Technics 1200, but no way to play it. I don't think my onkyo receiver accepts its input.

What's the simplest/cheapest equipment I need to get it going? I typically just listen to music by hooking up my iphone to a headphone jack speaker.

andylsun

I've got an old Technics 1200, but no way to play it. I don't think my onkyo receiver accepts its input.

What's the simplest/cheapest equipment I need to get it going? I typically just listen to music by hooking up my iphone to a headphone jack speaker.

Art DJ Pre II preamp - will take the phono level output from the SL-1200 and convert it to line-level for input to your receiver. $40 from amazon if you are in the USA. There are more expensive ones, but in terms of bang for the buck, they rock.

Hang onto the 1200, they are awesome and getting more expensive all the time.

You may want to start with a brand new cart and stylus. Either go cheap (Red Ed) or Shure M97XE for middle ground.

Go to an flea market and find an old amp with phono input. Good rule of thumb (once again): if it's heavy, it works and it doesn't seem like it's made out of plastic it might be a fine amp.

Looking to get my first record player, does anybody have some recommendations? I wasn't sure how up to date the original post is so I figure I'd ask. I'd like to spend around $200 and the u-turn orbit seems around my price range, but it won't deliver until December 2013. Can anybody recommend me anything else? Thanks in advance.

Do you have any other equipment? i.e. Amp, pre-amp, etc.

Nothing at all, completely new to this. Would the most I would need to get everything set up be a record player, pre-amp, amp and speakers? Any recommendations for all of those would be great too. :)

Will I be able to use headphone amps for record players such as the Schiit Magni?

Edit: Been reading reviews on pro-ject debut iii, seems pretty nice for $300. Thoughts?

CRS

Nothing at all, completely new to this. Would the most I would need to get everything set up be a record player, pre-amp, amp and speakers? Any recommendations for all of those would be great too. :)

Will I be able to use headphone amps for record players such as the Schiit Magni?

Edit: Been reading reviews on pro-ject debut iii, seems pretty nice for $300. Thoughts?
Basically. And one thing to clarify, make sure the pre-amp is a phono stage (phono pre-amp). As long as the name of the product has phono in it, you should be good to go on that end. Check out Audiokarma and maybe even Head-Fi might be able to help you with the equipment. Or someone else with more hardware experience here can help you out.

Yup. You can use it as part of the setup but you will still need a phono stage to connect between your headphone amp and turntable. This is basically the line of connections: Turntable -> phono stage -> headphone amp -> headphones OR turntable -> phono stage -> amp -> speakers

Just from what I've read on the sites previously mentioned, they're great starter tables for a good price. Look up what equipment best fits your table and I assume, Ortofon cartridge.

Up to 291 records on Discogs, 72 new records since I last updated it about 2 months ago, now I need to go buy 9 new records to even this out.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.

amnesiac

A new record store opened up a mile away from me, so happy. Purchases from the last month or so:

(I quoted the image because it is awful quality)
Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 1
Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
Dire Straits - Dire Straits
Bruce Springsteen - Born In The USA
The Doors - Absolutely Live
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Allelujah
The Velvet Underground - TVU & Nico
Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

Basically. And one thing to clarify, make sure the pre-amp is a phono stage (phono pre-amp). As long as the name of the product has phono in it, you should be good to go on that end. Check out Audiokarma and maybe even Head-Fi might be able to help you with the equipment. Or someone else with more hardware experience here can help you out.

Yup. You can use it as part of the setup but you will still need a phono stage to connect between your headphone amp and turntable. This is basically the line of connections: Turntable -> phono stage -> headphone amp -> headphones OR turntable -> phono stage -> amp -> speakers

Just from what I've read on the sites previously mentioned, they're great starter tables for a good price. Look up what equipment best fits your table and I assume, Ortofon cartridge.

Thanks for the help! I have a rough idea on what I want to get now.

One question for amp -> speaker though. If the back of my amp looks like this:
asgard2_03.jpg

And the back of the speakers I want (Pioneer BS22) look like so:
130827144206-3-SP-BS22-LR.png

Do I just need a cable thats a single rca that splits into a dual one to connect both the speakers to it?

STG!

Thanks for the help! I have a rough idea on what I want to get now.

One question for amp -> speaker though. If the back of my amp looks like this:
http://schiit.com/public/upload/general/imagecache_thumbnail_product_gallery_large/asgard2_03.jpg
And the back of the speakers I want (Pioneer BS22) look like so:
http://neoentertainmentgallery.com/neoshop/images/products/130827144206-3-SP-BS22-LR.png
Do I just need a cable thats a single rca that splits into a dual one to connect both the speakers to it?

No that won't work, and looking at what that "amp" is, that's only for headphones. You would set that device up between a pre-amp and a proper amplifier that would output to your speakers, or you could plug it into a receiver's output. Something like that!

At most I think if you did hack that set up together, you'd get line level sound, which isn't what you want here. :)

No that won't work, and looking at what that "amp" is, that's only for headphones. You would set that device up between a pre-amp and a proper amplifier that would output to your speakers, or you could plug it into a receiver's output. Something like that!

At most I think if you did hack that set up together, you'd get line level sound, which isn't what you want here. :)

Ah, thanks. I was hoping I could just use my headphone amp though it didn't look like the connections would work.

Any budget friendly amp and pre amp you can suggest?

Edit: Just ordered the Pioneer SP-BS22 speakers. They happened to be on sale at best buy for $90 instead of the normal $130 if anyone wanted to get a set.

I'm also hearing that the Lapai amps are cheap and a good pairing with the bs22's. Has anyone here used one?

Just placed my order for my first turntable system, this is what I ended up picking up.

- Pro-ject Debut III
- TC-750LC preamp
- Topping Tp21 amp
- Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers

Pretty excited to get everything and I'll probably go diving this weekend for some vinyls too :)

Thanks for all the help I received!

Top Bottom