• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

amnesiac

Just placed my order for my first turntable system, this is what I ended up picking up.

- Pro-ject Debut III
- TC-750LC preamp
- Topping Tp21 amp
- Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers

Pretty excited to get everything and I'll probably go diving this weekend for some vinyls too :)

Thanks for all the help I received!
Heard the Pro-Ject at a friends. You won't be disappointed; it sounded great.

^ Thanks, that's reassuring to hear :) Hopefully I won't have any trouble setting it up, being my first turntable and all.

I probably should have asked first before ordering all the wiring, but does the debut iii will come with the cables to connect to my preamp?

I also picked up some 16 awg speaker cables and screw type banana plugs. I plan to keep the speakers as close to the turn table as possible. Should I be ok with 16 gauge?

amnesiac

:)

c9wOXY9.jpg

xS8IGof.jpg

I got some vinyl only because it came with a code for downloading MP3s. I entered the code . . . didn't work. Apparently it expired because the album was released 2 years ago. Fuck that shit! Why did it expire? That's bullshit.
Fires up P2P with Fair Use defense.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Yea that happens sometimes. If the label is still up and running you can just email them and let them know.

fyi, Carpark records is amazing with stuff like that. Recently on another issue entirely, I bought a copy of Toro y Moi June 2009 and it came with all the correct sleeves, but the last two discs were duplicates.

all I did was email their support, I got a response, the guy didn't even ask for proof he just said sorry and asked for my mailing address. It came in the mail 3 days later a brand new full copy. Now I have a defective version and a proper version, he didn't even ask for the other back.

CRS

Yea that happens sometimes. If the label is still up and running you can just email them and let them know.

fyi, Carpark records is amazing with stuff like that. Recently on another issue entirely, I bought a copy of Toro y Moi June 2009 and it came with all the correct sleeves, but the last two discs were duplicates.

all I did was email their support, I got a response, the guy didn't even ask for proof he just said sorry and asked for my mailing address. It came in the mail 3 days later a brand new full copy. Now I have a defective version and a proper version, he didn't even ask for the other back.
Italians Do It Better did this for me. I ordered a copy of After Dark 1, received After Dark 2, emailed their support, and they sent me the correct LP and I got to keep AD2.

There should be a 300 Club in the OP. Hopefully, I'll be there soon.

omgkitty

So I think I'm finally going to take the plunge and get a turntable, and I think I'm going with a U-Turn Orbit, but I'm not sure which one to get. They have a Basic and Plus model and I'm not sure if the plus is worth the extra money or not, so I figured someone here could help.

basic1%20shadow.jpg

179.00 - The Orbit Basic Turntable with an MDF platter and an Ortofon Omega cartridge.

black2%20shadow%20copy.jpg

279.00 - The Orbit Plus Turntable with an acrylic platter and an Ortofon OM-5e cartridge.

So is the platter and cartridge worth it? I've looked up the cartridge and the platter, and both would make the price well over the extra $100 that they offer it for. I guess I just don't know enough about turntables to know if the extra money spent would make any discernible difference, at least to my ears. For the time being, I will be running it through a soundbar until I can get my own place with more space. I also need to know if there's anything else I should get with the turntable like a pre-amp.

wenis

Italians Do It Better did this for me. I ordered a copy of After Dark 1, received After Dark 2, emailed their support, and they sent me the correct LP and I got to keep AD2.

There should be a 300 Club in the OP. Hopefully, I'll be there soon.

The 300 LP, Club

The 500 LP, Maniacs

The 1000 LP, Rich Boys

The 1500 LP, Vinyl Gods

wenis

Received my last paycheck from the end of my latest contract...

immediately bought an original pressing of ATDI - Vaya on the limited blue vinyl pressing

and an original pressing of Green Day - Insomniac

only $50 all together, not too bad.

13 more records to go till 300.

omgkitty

So I think I'm finally going to take the plunge and get a turntable, and I think I'm going with a U-Turn Orbit, but I'm not sure which one to get. They have a Basic and Plus model and I'm not sure if the plus is worth the extra money or not, so I figured someone here could help.

basic1%20shadow.jpg

179.00 - The Orbit Basic Turntable with an MDF platter and an Ortofon Omega cartridge.

black2%20shadow%20copy.jpg

279.00 - The Orbit Plus Turntable with an acrylic platter and an Ortofon OM-5e cartridge.

So is the platter and cartridge worth it? I've looked up the cartridge and the platter, and both would make the price well over the extra $100 that they offer it for. I guess I just don't know enough about turntables to know if the extra money spent would make any discernible difference, at least to my ears. For the time being, I will be running it through a soundbar until I can get my own place with more space. I also need to know if there's anything else I should get with the turntable like a pre-amp.

Went a whole day with no answer. Can anyone help?

wenis

The Orbit Plus is the 'better' table, but your soundbar setup isn't going to help either really push them to sound the best to you until that setup gets upgraded.

So think of it this way. How long do you think it will be until you step up from a soundbar and get a receiver with speaker setup?

If it's going to be a long while before you can plunk that money down and new equipment all around you could get the basic and be content with it. Or spend the extra hundred and future proof yourself when you can put together the rest of your setup that'll help bring out the full potential of the Plus model.

Personally, I'd say if I were making the choice. Id future proof myself. That's just how I roll.

CRS

Same. I've been saving up for a RP6 with a brand new setup. Also been looking for a great deal on Audiogon since I can save quite a bit for a used table.

Got everything in today and set up my system. Setting up the Debut III was easier than I thought it would be (with youtube), even though I had a problem with balancing the tone arm at first.

Temp table for now until I can get something else, I'm thinking about something from Ikea.
sR1bIoIl.jpg

Bm4dkBRl.jpg

Purchased my first LP!
rx76sSkl.jpg

I'm hooked already, can't wait to get more music. Ordered the Ghibli LP last week, but it hasn't even shipped out yet. Thanks to everyone who helped me out!

wenis

phototzzgm.jpg

random ass find today with the Twigs release.

FKA Twigs - EP2
Small Black - Limits of Desire

wenis

Woooo this came in super earlier than I thought it would!

photoynokr.jpg

still sounds great, the cover is beat up, but it's my favorite ATDI release and I'm super stoked to own a first pressing of it now.

and I was having such a good day (atdi, awesome lunch date...) that I walked to the record shop after my date was over and found these two at separate shops

imageobraf.jpeg

I'm just getting into R.E.M. and this was the first record that really clicked so I had to buy the MSFL edition.

Off The Wall was a long time coming, I've been looking for a proper copy of it for awhile and this one is absolutely gorgeous. Minimal plays and the cover/sleeve was still intact. Well worth the money.

9 more records till 300.

RDreamer

Found a cheap turntable at Goodwill today, and picked it up since it was in great condition. It's a JVC L-A31. It was only $5 so not much risk. I've been using an Audio Technica LP-60 thus far. Anyone know if this new one is likely better? I think I need a phono preamp to play it (which I didn't need with my AT).

wenis

It's a fine table, what was the needle that it came with? JVC made good tables, but they were mostly middle of the road. It's belt driven just like the AT so there isn't a step up mechanically. It's going to depend entirely on the stylus at this point. Give it a spin and see how it sounds against the AT and go from there.

This came in today. It's already in my collection on Discogs so I'm still 9 away from 300.

photo82jw9.jpg

Green Day - Insomniac

hoverX

Just got my 1200 mk2 back from being refurbished. First time I've hooked it up to my new home theatre (marantz nr1603 and KEF speakers). Sounds fucking incredible. Bought a new ortofon needle too.

This came in the mail today. Colored vinyl is soooooooo cool.

SR6sTdtl.jpg
OTZWVvDl.jpg

Do record sleeves usually just replace the paper ones for the vinyl or is it a sleeve for the cardboard box as well? Any recommendations on whats good?

WasMachinator

Neo Member
So last week I finally completed my entertainment setup with a nice Dual CS 508 turntable, and it was a real steal.

7mh64Vcl.jpg

Completely original and functions perfectly, a switch was stuck and therefor it was shelved by someone for years(luck for me)

So I hooked it up to a sweet old school amp my dad gave me, together with some quite large speakers

riPun40l.jpg

and gave these a spin :)

w7xYf5ul.jpg

that big band boxset is just really good.
sitting down, starting the record and just listening to those tunes, it's great..

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
IMG_1689_zps75cdb4f7.jpg

Salon Music - My Girl Friday
Haruo Chikada - Natural Beauty
Yukihiro Takahashi - Neuromantic (yessss!)
Hum - You'd Prefer An Astronaut white vinyl
Scala - Secret Ceremony 12"
4:00am Eternal comp (Lemon Jelly, Bent, Cinematic Orchestra, Thievery Corp, etc)
DJ Spooky - Songs of a Dead Dreamer
Bruce Springsteen - Piece de Resistance 1978 tour bootleg

This came in the mail today. Colored vinyl is soooooooo cool.

SR6sTdtl.jpg
OTZWVvDl.jpg

Do record sleeves usually just replace the paper ones for the vinyl or is it a sleeve for the cardboard box as well? Any recommendations on whats good?

Nice pic, record sleeves are clear sleeves you place the entire record package in

NMFried

I had no idea this thread existed. I'm in heaven. Will post some of my collection later. Question: would I be able to offer a record for sale in here? I've got a few duplicates I'm looking to get rid of. Thanks!

NMFried

I don't see why not

Okay, awesome. Well I've got the original pressing of Panic! At The Disco's Pretty. Odd. with everything but the COA, and I'm looking to get $55+ shipping for it.

I've also got the repress of Fall Out Boy's From Under the Cork Tree, sealed copy, that I'm looking for $35 on.

Haven't bought a record in almost a year...

But I walked into a store today and saw this limited edition one...couldn't resist. Love me some colored vinyl.

03hcqju.jpg

Unlike the general consensus on this topic, god fucking dammit how I hate colored vinyl. Especially colored 7"'s. Sure they can look nice, but black vinyl is better in every other way. That feel when you are DJ'ing records and have to spend a minute trying to find the right track on greenish translucent 7". Generally, if I can choose I'll buy the normal one even if colored special edition limited whatever, only exceptions being limited Goner Records ones cause I kinda collect them.

Same with gatefolds, what a waste of paper. Not to mention how annoying it is to actually trying to get the record back in when the gatefold needs to be pppeeeerrrfectly straight or the cover starts to hinge halfway through.

And Japanese polybags, goddamn they suck. The resealable ones. Straight to garbage. And those clear PVC innersleaves? Off they go immediately and replaced with paper ones.

/vent

Unlike the general consensus on this topic, god fucking dammit how I hate colored vinyl. Especially colored 7"'s. Sure they can look nice, but black vinyl is better in every other way. That feel when you are DJ'ing records and have to spend a minute trying to find the right track on greenish translucent 7". Generally, if I can choose I'll buy the normal one even if colored special edition limited whatever, only exceptions being limited Goner Records ones cause I kinda collect them.

Same with gatefolds, what a waste of paper. Not to mention how annoying it is to actually trying to get the record back in when the gatefold needs to be pppeeeerrrfectly straight or the cover starts to hinge halfway through.

And Japanese polybags, goddamn they suck. The resealable ones. Straight to garbage. And those clear PVC innersleaves? Off they go immediately and replaced with paper ones.

/vent

Colored vinyl is gods gift to man

And you prefer cheap sleeves to gatefold? I'm in the twilight zone

wenis

Colored Vinyls are great for collectors, but they're not so great if you want the best quality for listening or using them in your act.

Colored Vinyls are great for collectors, but they're not so great if you want the best quality for listening or using them in your act.

I listen to the colored vinyl and they sound fine, it depends on who presses it

No one is going to bash the sound quality of a colored vinyl that a record company like Death Waltz. Also, mobile fidelity even put out a pink vinyl, I don't anyone would question them

8bit

Knows the Score
Unlike the general consensus on this topic, god fucking dammit how I hate colored vinyl. Especially colored 7"'s. Sure they can look nice, but black vinyl is better in every other way. That feel when you are DJ'ing records and have to spend a minute trying to find the right track on greenish translucent 7".

If you're spending a minute to find the groove on a 7" then you're doing it wrong, but consider putting some tape on your records to bump your needle to the start of the track.

--

edit. I can't wait for the Daft Punk boxsets to be released, they're going to look beautiful listed unopened on discogs.

Also, I've spoken with few record store owners who have been in the vinyl business for 30+ years concerning the audio fidelity of color vinyl, and it makes a difference

Some say it does a little, others say it doesn't, meaning it's irrelevant

--

edit. I can't wait for the Daft Punk boxsets to be released, they're going to look beautiful listed unopened on discogs.

You flippers are going to be disappointed with the high number of pressings for the vinyl box sets

If you're spending a minute to find the groove on a 7" then you're doing it wrong, but consider putting some tape on your records to bump your needle to the start of the track.

Well, obviously you have to count in a 10 beer handicap and darkly lit room... yeah, it was a hyperbole :p

But it really is true that sometimes it's a bitch to find the right groove on colored, especially transparent, vinyl. I DJ weekly and I only play 7"'s and sometimes you don't just have that extra second it takes when you are playing a 30 second track and five drunkards are yelling at your ear so you can't use your headphones either.

And RE: sound quality, it doesn't matter as much these days as pressing techniques have changes (mostly visible on how shallow the grooves are nowadays: you can barely squeeze 6 minutes of stuff on 33rpm 7" (yeah, another thing I dislike! 33rpm 7"'s!) while I have some records, like Flamin' Groovies Slow Death 7"EP that not only is a 45, is also like 8 minutes long from each side! Which is why it often serves my toilet break record, Slow Death and Tallahassee Lassie combo is unbeatable!

Which also brings us back to my absolute favorite format, the god of music formats, the unbeatable one: 7" single. It's hard to do a competent full length but the real hard part is doing a single that has like 2 minutes of music per side with people going "whoa that's great!" instead of "I wish there were more tracks..". As pressing of vinyl is kinda expensive these days, many bands/labels easily cram the records full, which doesn't actually improve the quality of the package. Less is more. But obviously if you have 4 killer songs, I have nothing against a killer 4 track EP.

So yeah, I don't have anything much against colored vinyl, it just doesn't offer anything extra for me. But if people start to say how much they love picture discs, I am going to a total internet nerd rage mode.

Danielsan

Moved my record player into the living room. Finally got a new needle for it and also bought some AM vinyl cleaning fluid, a needle cleaner and bag of 50 vinyl sleeves.

uoVEqRA.jpg

Also picked up Darkside - Psychic on vinyl. Surprised to learn it was 45rpm and came on two LPs (given the album length). Fantastic album though.

8ry6BwF.jpg

I really need some new speakers as these old Sony hand me downs from my grandma suck, especially for the type of music I listen. I'm currently looking at a Wharfdale Diamond 10.1 set, but perhaps you guys have other good budget level speaker recommendations.

Top Bottom