• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

amnesiac

Question...

How many of you get new releases that have scuffs on them? I've purchased about 15 new records in the past 6 months and I would say 6/15 have had (what seem to be) paper scuff marks on them. They aren't audible. It annoys me so much and makes me wish I didn't spend $20+ on the album.

BenN

Question...

How many of you get new releases that have scuffs on them? I've purchased about 15 new records in the past 6 months and I would say 6/15 have had (what seem to be) paper scuff marks on them. They aren't audible. It annoys me so much and makes me wish I didn't spend $20+ on the album.

A LOT of newer vinyl comes like this, some way worse than others - scuffed, dirty, pressing defects, warped etc. Quality control just doesn't seem to be as good any more at pressing plants.

It is frustrating to spend full price on new vinyl and have it already scratched/scuffed. For me if it plays through fine, then I have come to accept it, but if it doesn't then i try get it replaced.
In saying that sometimes a good clean will fix (some) issues too...new vinyl can definitely benefit from a good clean.

I also heard that apparently some metal mothers/master stampers don't even go through the full washing process any more as it costs extra, so you can end up with nosier records etc.. That also depends on vinyl compound quality too though.

Picked up another Mondo one...Actually never saw the movie haha.
FIEaFpM.jpg

Moved my record player into the living room. Finally got a new needle for it and also bought some AM vinyl cleaning fluid, a needle cleaner and bag of 50 vinyl sleeves.

Also picked up Darkside - Psychic on vinyl. Surprised to learn it was 45rpm and came on two LPs (given the album length). Fantastic album though.

I really need some new speakers as these old Sony hand me downs from my grandma suck, especially for the type of music I listen. I'm currently looking at a Wharfdale Diamond 10.1 set, but perhaps you guys have other good budget level speaker recommendations.

I really like your table, what is it?

STG!

Agreed on the color/picture disc vinyl discussion, I've searched out promo copy's or test pressings of tunes that I liked that because of it. Do they look neat? Absolutely! But I prefer the pure black pressings both from a sound and mixing perspective. I'll still buy them though!

I really need some new speakers as these old Sony hand me downs from my grandma suck, especially for the type of music I listen. I'm currently looking at a Wharfdale Diamond 10.1 set, but perhaps you guys have other good budget level speaker recommendations.

Nice setup buddy, but I wouldn't put your speaker(s) on the same table as your deck. That's a lot of unnecessary vibration for the turntable to handle and could cause you some problems especially if you like to listen to your music loud. ;-)

I miss my decks, got a nice backlog of vinyl to listen to when I get home!

Danielsan

Nice setup buddy, but I wouldn't put your speaker(s) on the same table as your deck. That's a lot of unnecessary vibration for the turntable to handle and could cause you some problems especially if you like to listen to your music loud. ;-)
Thanks man! I never even considered the speaker vibrations influencing the turntable. I might need to rethink this, sadly I'm kind of out of space for speaker placement.

STG!

Thanks man! I never even considered the speaker vibrations influencing the turntable. I might need to rethink this, sadly I'm kind of out of space for speaker placement.

No worries! You might even want to think vertically, with the amount of space you have there you could get a rack that would store everything in a taller cabinet designed for music equipment: like turnable on top, a couple shelves below for your receiver/amp and pre-amp/etc., and a slot on the bottom for vinyl storage. You'd probably have enough room left over for a nice pair of floor standing tower speakers for each side!

There are definitely some great options for you to explore! :)

Danielsan

Danielsan has great taste in music.
Thanks man. We both do. ;)

No worries! You might even want to think vertically, with the amount of space you have there you could get a rack that would store everything in a taller cabinet designed for music equipment: like turnable on top, a couple shelves below for your receiver/amp and pre-amp/etc., and a slot on the bottom for vinyl storage. You'd probably have enough room left over for a nice pair of floor standing tower speakers for each side!

There are definitely some great options for you to explore! :)
Thanks for the suggestions. Though this is probably as high as I'm willing to build the set-up. Primary reason is that I like to keep a relatively spacious looking living room. The last thing I want is for it to feel too cluttered and the room is already getting pretty full. Still, definitely going to think about placing my speakers elsewhere. As soon as I have a pair of new, decent sounding, speakers that is. :)

omgkitty

Thanks man. We both do. ;)

Thanks for the suggestions. Though this is probably as high as I'm willing to build the set-up. Primary reason is that I like to keep a relatively spacious looking living room. The last thing I want is for it to feel too cluttered and the room is already getting pretty full. Still, definitely going to think about placing my speakers elsewhere. As soon as I have a pair of new, decent sounding, speakers that is. :)

Would it be weird if I just showed up in the Netherlands and wanted to hang out with you?

Danielsan

Would it be weird if I just showed up in the Netherlands and wanted to hang out with you?
Haha, if you ever do visit The Netherlands, give me shout. I'm not too familiair in Amsterdam, but I can at least take you on a record store tour as well as a visit to Paradiso (easily my favourite music venue in The Netherlands).

STG!

Sounds great man! And you do have a fantastic looking pad, saw it originally in the gaming setup thread here as well.

Although I'm quite the opposite, I tend to go completely overboard with my setup, I like seeing tons of gear and stuff stacked high, heh. I need more space as well!

CRS

My latest pickups over the past week or so. And with these pickups, I'm finally in the 300 Club!

photo39bpm0.jpg

Mayer Hawthorne:
A Strange Arrangement (Instrumentals)
Green Eyed Love (Remixes)
How Do You Do
A promo poster for Black Milk came with the purchase of the LP and I love the artwork so I took a picture.

photo423p6p.jpg

A$AP Ferg - Trap Lord
Black Milk - No Poison No Paradise
Domo Genesis & Alchemist - No Idols
Fat Jon The Ample Soul Physician - Repaint Tomorrow
Exile - Zip Disks & Floppies
Thundercat - Apocalypse

photo69yrqw.jpg

L'Orange & Stik Figa ‎– The City Under The City
The Doppelgangaz - Lone Sharks (Deluxe Edition w/ Lone Shark Era Beats LP)
The Doppelgangaz - Beats for Brothels Vol. 1
Oddisee - The Beauty In All
Oddisee - People Hear What They See

Also, I've been in the process of moving so I finally finished cataloging my collection, organizing my LPs alphabetically, and putting most of the records in plastic sleeves. Here's every piece of audio I own physically.

shuri

Banned
I picked up my first actual vinyl turntable! I gotta admit I went really budget for the turntable but I didnt want to go crazy.

I bought this:

sony_PSLX300USB_1.jpg

Hey ok! No judging! No laughing!

I picked up a few LP at this local store:

• NWA - Straight outta Compton
  • The White Stripes - The White Stripes
  • Bob Marley - Legend (it's a compilation of his best tracks, its missing Concret Jungle!)
  • Dj Shadow - Endtroducing (what a classic)

it was fun to set up; the sony player looks hilarious out of place next to my actual dj setup but it works just FINE! I listened to Marley's album and damn the audio was INCREDIBLE! I just bought on amazon a bunch of lp.. The Beastie Boys "Solid gold HIts", Justice's first album, Kavinsky's OutRun, Portishead's PNYC and a few others.

It feels like I'm rediscovering music all over again. I cannot get over the sound quality. The sony player feels alright, its obviously not some high end thing but it works fine for what it does.

Danielsan

I picked up my first actual vinyl turntable! I gotta admit I went really budget for the turntable but I didnt want to go crazy.

I bought this:

sony_PSLX300USB_1.jpg

Hey ok! No judging! No laughing!

I picked up a few LP at this local store:

• NWA - Straight outta Compton
  • The White Stripes - The White Stripes
  • Bob Marley - Legend (it's a compilation of his best tracks, its missing Concret Jungle!)
  • Dj Shadow - Endtroducing (what a classic)

it was fun to set up; the sony player looks hilarious out of place next to my actual dj setup but it works just FINE! I listened to Marley's album and damn the audio was INCREDIBLE! I just bought on amazon a bunch of lp.. The Beastie Boys "Solid gold HIts", Justice's first album, Kavinsky's OutRun, Portishead's PNYC and a few others.

It feels like I'm rediscovering music all over again. I cannot get over the sound quality. The sony player feels alright, its obviously not some high end thing but it works fine for what it does.
Welcome to the vinyl club! Some great music pick-ups there. Did you buy the turntable new or secondhand? If it was second hand I'd at least advice to get a new needle/cartridge.

My still amateur setup...I wanted to wait until I filled two blocks before I start buying better hardware.

20131102_102550_zpsf09f4e92.jpg

20131102_102527_zps85cf86c0.jpg
Hngggh! That set up looks fantastic man. Consider me jealous.

Thank you. I have done one hack on the expedit that I highly recommend. I went and bought trim to create a backstop for the records so I don't have to worry about them lining up. I spray painted them black and just screwed them in. I would recommend getting a bigger piece of trim than what I got if anyone wants to do this, though. The smaller ones are less sturdy and probably create a little more wear on the corner of the jacket. I also got these 9'' bookends on amazon that work great if you don't want your records leaning, again it probably creates some cover wear but I'm not running a museum over here.

20131102_102345_zpsdfddd8ed.jpg

STG!

I like the setup pics, let's keep 'em coming! Not as neat as the guys above, but the vinyl is perfectly organized by label then catalog #, heh.

The main wall (got another 600 or so in another unit).
setup1_zps293f982f.png

The gear, minus a couple synths and other toys I have in storage.
setup2_zps36a4a7d7.png

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Anyone looking for a nice record shelf and has an IKEA close by should look into the Expedit shelves. They fit the record horizontally and vertically perfectly, so you can turn the shelf anyway you need. I swear they made this thing with records in mind.

expedit-shelving-unit__72881_PE189132_S4.jpg

Shadow780

How are the USB Turntables or it's something that you guys think are abominations and should be burned in flame?

Been itching to get one since this one has pre-amp built-in I assume I can just hook it up to my receiver?

How are the USB Turntables or it's something that you guys think are abominations and should be burned in flame?

Been itching to get one since this one has pre-amp built-in I assume I can just hook it up to my receiver?

Not worth it, you can as easily just plug the amp to a PC and rip the records with Audacity, usually gaining

1) Better rip
2) Better quality hardware for cheaper or similar price (assuming the turntable isn't a $99 plastic one, if it is, see 1))

Shadow780

Not worth it, you can as easily just plug the amp to a PC and rip the records with Audacity, usually gaining

1) Better rip
2) Better quality hardware for cheaper or similar price (assuming the turntable isn't a $99 plastic one, if it is, see 1))

Thanks, the Debut does look super sexy. Which Pre-amp do you recommend?

I like the setup pics, let's keep 'em coming! Not as neat as the guys above, but the vinyl is perfectly organized by label then catalog #, heh.

What music do you mix out of curiousity?

Need to pick up some decent monitors when I move out rather than running mine through a 5.1 system and a new mixer.

shuri

Banned
Ive been listening to my first batch of vinyls all weekend, and REALLY, I cannot get over how incredibly CLEAN and PURE it sounds! Last night I dove deep into Dj Shadow's Endtroducing and after a decade and a half of listening to that album on CD and later on my Iphone; listening to it again on vinyl is like rediscovering it all over again.

Well, as a basic rule you don't want the speakers on the same surface or structure that house the turntable because of the vibrations. If you want to go deeper, and with audio the levels go deeper than any sane man should go, there are all kinds of pages dedicated to proper speaker placement.

Has anyone ordered from http://www.soundstagedirect.com/ just want to know if it is reputable. Free shipping at 30 bucks is better than insound (although it is media mail.) and prices are similar. I noticed the price on almost all of Amazon's vinyl went up the last month.

-Mikey-

Moments Lost

Attention to all Blade Runner fans..

There's a thread for this already, but I thought it might get a little more response here.

Possibility for a bonus 7'' and an upgrade to double vinyl. All added for free if you buy in for any vinyl package. It's definitely worth checking out.

Danielsan

Finally bit the bullet and bought a pair of new speakers to replace my grandma's hand me down Sony speakers. Initially I wanted to get the Wharfdale 10.1s but new those would cost me around € 240 for a set. So I ended up getting a pair of Boston acoustics a26s instead (€ 70 cheaper).

BdyQnLv.jpg

This was my first time messing around with speaker wires and I didn't have a wire stripper. Fun times... I think I got the hang of it at the end though.

cdsPAHe.jpg

IgC9fCX.jpg

Left speaker placement is less than ideal, but it will make do for now.

Danielsan

Dem Murakami novels.
Good eye! I have six Murakami novels on that shelf and a bunch more on my e-reader. Still need to get around to IQ84, but I'm kind of wary after all the negative responses towards those books.
So far I've loved all of the Murakami books that I've read. Exception being the short story collection The Elephant vanishes. Which was a mixed bag for me.

omgkitty

Good eye! I have six Murakami novels on that shelf and a bunch more on my e-reader. Still need to get around to IQ84, but I'm kind of wary after all the negative responses towards those books.
So far I've loved all of the Murakami books that I've read. Exception being the short story collection The Elephant vanishes. Which was a mixed bag for me.

I started off reading what some say is Murakami's worst (After Dark) and haven't stopped reading his novels since in the past 2.5 years or so. I've been slowly working my way through them, and now only have Kafka on the Shore and 1Q84 left. I also still have his short story collections after that. Needless to say, he's my favorite author.

Danielsan

I started off reading what some say is Murakami's worst (After Dark) and haven't stopped reading his novels since in the past 2.5 years or so. I've been slowly working my way through them, and now only have Kafka on the Shore and 1Q84 left. I also still have his short story collections after that. Needless to say, he's my favorite author.
Nice! I think you've read more of his work than I have at this point. I started of with Kafka on the Shore. Which I then followed up with The Wind-up Bird Chronicle (my favourite) and Norwegian Wood. So I kind of spoiled my myself by reading his best work first. You can definitely look forward to Kafka, which is outstanding and has one of my favourite Murakami characters.

I'm currently finishing up on The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman and I think it might just be time to start a new Murakami book after that. Any recommendations? By the way. If you haven't already I'd highly recommend reading Neil Gaiman's American Gods and The Ocean at the End of the Lane. The surrealism in his novels often reminds me of Murakami.

omgkitty

Nice! I think you've read more of his work than I have at this point. I started of with Kafka on the Shore. Which I then followed up with The Wind-up Bird Chronicle (my favourite) and Norwegian Wood. So I kind of spoiled my myself by reading his best work first. You can definitely look forward to Kafka, which is outstanding and has one of my favourite Murakami characters.

I'm currently finishing up on The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman and I think it might just be time to start a new Murakami book after that. Any recommendations? By the way. If you haven't already I'd highly recommend reading Neil Gaiman's American Gods and The Ocean at the End of the Lane. The surrealism in his novels often reminds me of Murakami.

I got through about 25% of American Gods a few years ago and stopped. I enjoyed it, but I've never been a big reader so I just waited too long to get back to it. I'll get back to it once I finish my Murakami quest.

Don't feel too bad. I went After Dark - Norwegian Wood - The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, so I knocked out two of his most well known books in a row. The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle is also probably my favorite.

I always have a hard time recommending what to read by him because they're all so good in their own way. After reading Norwegian Wood, I decided to just go in order. You could probably go through Hear the Wind Sing and Pinball, 1973 in a few days. Of course you can't buy them as they were only released in English in Japan, but I could probably help you find them if you'd like ;).

Then just go A Wild Sheep Chase, and I skipped to Dance Dance Dance after that because it's a sequel to A Wild Sheep Chase. To be fair though, you really can't go wrong. South of the Border, West of the Sun and Sputnik Sweetheart are both more grounded than his other stuff. Still some weirdness, but not much. Just go with what you feel like as I don't think there's a right or wrong answer.

Nice speakers...I'm sure it is a noticeable upgrade. I started on Kafka on the Shore, which is incredible. I have been reading mostly his short story compilations, completely by accident, because I just pick a book of his at random with no prior knowledge to any of it's substance. I've hit like two or three short story comps in a row.

Jake.

i clicked this thread accidentally. its kind of weird, because i used to be a huge vinyl collector - primarily hardcore punk (youth crew), black metal and 90's emo - but quit about 4 or so years ago. i'm also a huge murakami fan - 1q84 is the only one i haven't read and i've almost finished hard-boiled wonderland. i'd say kafka on the shore is my favourite by a very slim margin, but the wind up bird chronicle isn't far behind. listening to records and reading murakami go hand in hand, clicking a thread accidentally and then being able to relate to it is also a very murakami-esque thing as well.

Danielsan

I got through about 25% of American Gods a few years ago and stopped. I enjoyed it, but I've never been a big reader so I just waited too long to get back to it. I'll get back to it once I finish my Murakami quest.

Don't feel too bad. I went After Dark - Norwegian Wood - The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, so I knocked out two of his most well known books in a row. The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle is also probably my favorite.

I always have a hard time recommending what to read by him because they're all so good in their own way. After reading Norwegian Wood, I decided to just go in order. You could probably go through Hear the Wind Sing and Pinball, 1973 in a few days. Of course you can't buy them as they were only released in English in Japan, but I could probably help you find them if you'd like ;).

Then just go A Wild Sheep Chase, and I skipped to Dance Dance Dance after that because it's a sequel to A Wild Sheep Chase. To be fair though, you really can't go wrong. South of the Border, West of the Sun and Sputnik Sweetheart are both more grounded than his other stuff. Still some weirdness, but not much. Just go with what you feel like as I don't think there's a right or wrong answer.
We totally derailed this thread with all the Murakami talk. I think I'll be starting A Wild Sheep Chase soon.

Now to get back on topic. Would you guys recommend getting paper sleeves for my vinyl? I'm beginning to suspect that the cardboard sleeves most of my vinyl came in isn't exactly good for the condition of my vinyl and might result in scratches over time.

I'm also slowely starting to believe the whole black vinyl sounds better than coloured vinyl debate. Though it might just be that my red copy of Bon Iver - Bon Iver is a really shitty pressing.

Top Bottom