• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

We totally derailed this thread with all the Murakami talk. I think I'll be starting A Wild Sheep Chase soon.

Now to get back on topic. Would you guys recommend getting paper sleeves for my vinyl? I'm beginning to suspect that the cardboard sleeves most of my vinyl came in isn't exactly good for the condition of my vinyl and might result in scratches over time.

I'm also slowely starting to believe the whole black vinyl sounds better than coloured vinyl debate. Though it might just be that my red copy of Bon Iver - Bon Iver is a really shitty pressing.
A lot of people seem to get the mobile fidelity (mofi) inner plastic sleeves. I plan to eventually do that as well. I notice the paper sleeves leave quite a bit of debris on my records.

I do have a couple of brand new colored vinyl that sound like shit, especially my Kurt Vile Wakin On A Pretty Daze, even after I cleaned it.

A lot of people seem to get the mobile fidelity (mofi) inner plastic sleeves. I plan to eventually do that as well. I notice the paper sleeves leave quite a bit of debris on my records.

Or get a record brush, save money AND save time by not having to use shitty plastic inner sleeves.

I'm narrowing down my first turntable purchase:

Rega RP-1 with performance pack
Pro-ject Carbon Debut
Music Hall 2.2

Which one would you guys recommend?

Also what would be a decent preamp and speaker setup for one of the above turntables?

I'm narrowing down my first turntable purchase:

Rega RP-1 with performance pack
Pro-ject Carbon Debut
Music Hall 2.2

Which one would you guys recommend?

For what it's worth, when I made some research the RP-1 seemed like an online favorite and I think it's more easily tweaked/upgraded than the competition.

DiscoJon

Banned
Hey all, new to the thread. Just got in the mail a copy of Jimmy Eat World's "Bleed American" from Hot Topic of all places. It's the 3 color (gold, silver and blue) version, cost me $49.99 plus shipping. I was hoping there would still be some copies for sale by the time I posted this, but their webstore isn't showing anything as of today.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
tour only single from Toro y Moi "Campo" the B-side is pretty dope as well.

photoobc0v.jpg

hoverX

Ah man, I just bought the Bob Dylan Original Mono recordings and they gave me 2 copies of one album and one is missing.

What are the odds i'll get that fixed. Ordered off Amazon and don't really feel like shipping it back.

CRS

Ah man, I just bought the Bob Dylan Original Mono recordings and they gave me 2 copies of one album and one is missing.

What are the odds i'll get that fixed. Ordered off Amazon and don't really feel like shipping it back.

100% it'll get fixed. They'll e-mail you new shipping labels and you send the extra back.

Amazon won't even wait for you to send the extra back to send you the correct LP.

Dwayne

Hasn't he already started selling them?

reading the page would inform you that he's making a new mould that supports the smaller european 12" record size. He's also shipping overseas, which up until now he refused to do.

edit: it's more expensive because it's a pledge not a sale site. With the money he has to buy the new mould as well as fufill the pledge rewards, so the price is more than what the older frames are alone.

CRS

To the edit:

Typically the product is a little cheaper on a Kickstarter to provide a bigger incentive to pledge. I thought they were cheaper on the website but this was before I realized that the Kickstarter has the remodel so it makes sense now.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
IMG_1722_zps8448eaa5.jpg
IMG_1725_zps6fdd9c9e.jpg

Chas Jankel - s/t '80
Pizzicato Five - Fifth Release
Saint Etienne - Sound of Water
Ariel Pink - Before Today (wasn't real big on this when it came out, but the vinyl was $1)
Donna Summer - Love To Love You Baby 12"
Tracey Thorn - A Distant Shore
Yoko Ono - Rising 12" (remixes from Cibo Matto, Ween, Tricky, Thurston Moore?!)
Ryuichi Sakamoto - Beauty + Prayer/Salvation 12" + Heartbeat 12"
Kiyoshi - s/t '82 (Sakamoto helped produce and plays a few instruments on this one)

CRS

Here you go Cosmic.

Boards of Canada re-issues:

Trans Canada Highway -> In a Beautiful Place Out in the Country -> Twoism

Tycho - Past Is Prologue 2xLP -> Chromatics - Kill for Love

Desire - II -> Symmetry - The Messenger -> Chromatics - Night Drive

JMSN - †Priscilla† -> The Black Keys - Thickfreakness -> The Black Keys - Chulahoma: The Songs of Junior Kimbrough

Way Yes - Tog Pebbles -> The Beatles – 100 White Albums

and saving the Goddess for last,

Jessie Ware - Strangest Feelings 10"

I bought a record yesterday
"God damn it. No more till after xmas"

Today:
"Oh look they have a 50% of sale.. I could get that album and ep for £15 posted.. I mean If I want that album on its own later its like £18. Better buy it now"

Fuck.

omgkitty

I bought a record yesterday
"God damn it. No more till after xmas"

Today:
"Oh look they have a 50% of sale.. I could get that album and ep for £15 posted.. I mean If I want that album on its own later its like £18. Better buy it now"

Fuck.

I do shit like this all the time, and I don't even have my record player yet. I bought the the James Murphy remix of "Love is Lost" (probably my favorite track this year), and I won't even get it for like two more weeks and it cost $20!!!

oracrest

I always see great personal setups for people posted on here, but have never been to actually see one myself until this weekend.

My girlfriend's dad was in town visiting, and he makes high end amplifiers for audiophiles. He was going over to one of his customer's houses to take a look at his setup, and we got to tag along.

gGMGuLR.jpg

He wasn't a vinyl collector, but his setup was still really nice, and a blast to listen to. I had to take a picture to share.

omgkitty

I always see great personal setups for people posted on here, but have never been to actually see one myself until this weekend.

My girlfriend's dad was in town visiting, and he makes high end amplifiers for audiophiles. He was going over to one of his customer's houses to take a look at his setup, and we got to tag along.

gGMGuLR.jpg

He wasn't a vinyl collector, but his setup was still really nice, and a blast to listen to. I had to take a picture to share.

It always makes me wonder what kind of music these people who buy stuff like this listen to.

Are any of you subscribers to third man records vault subscription? Some pretty nice live stuff has come out on them. I also really like the Document reissue series they're doing. Charlie Patton and blind Willie are nice to hear on vinyl.

I wanted to get the paramount reissue...but damn at that price

Thraktor

It always makes me wonder what kind of music these people who buy stuff like this listen to.

From my experience selling mid to high-end hifi, it's a bit of a mix. With the really high end systems, due to the age bracket (as young people can't afford to drop tens of thousands on hifi) classic rock is fairly common, but people who are that passionate about listening to music are rarely close-minded about what they listen to.

32 channel .flac versions of themselves reading posts they have written on audiophile forums, backed with sounds of their own farts recorded with best microphones made of rock solid gold.

oracrest

The two of them were both big fans of classical. They were saying things like "Do you want your violins on the left?" corelating to where that section is traditionally positioned in an orchestra, so that the sound comes from the left side speaker over the right.

Here is a tidbit of what it was like listening to them talk audio back and forth :D

8bit

Knows the Score

The Happy Hardcore hits of Charly Lownoise and Mental Theo.

Anyway, got my first Death Waltz pack with Assault on Precinct 13 among others, a lovely looking sleeve and slightly bloody vinyl. Will try to take a pic later.

omgkitty

Finally got some money, and with me getting a record player soon, I thought about buying some records and of course all the ones I want are backordered on both Insound and Amazon.

Danielsan

I'm holding out for my secret santa gift before I purchase some new vinyl. I don't want to risk getting the same album twice (if my secret santa has decided to go the vinyl route that is). The next album I purchase will probably be Grimes - Visions. I've been relistening it this week and it needs to be a part of my collection. And I also need to pre-order the latest Burial EP and pick-up Kindred while it's still somewhat available.

Finally got some money, and with me getting a record player soon, I thought about buying some records and of course all the ones I want are backordered on both Insound and Amazon.
What kind of record player are you getting? Some good choices there. Especially James Blake´s self titled album (best sounding vinyl I own).

omgkitty

What kind of record player are you getting? Some good choices there. Especially James Blake´s self titled album (best sounding vinyl I own).

Decided to go with the U-Turn Audio Orbit Plus. Supposedly they still haven't even mailed out all the Kickstarter backer tables yet, so it might be a little bit before I get it.

I actually remember you talking about the James Blake vinyl a while back. It helps it's one of my favorite records period.

Danielsan

Decided to go with the U-Turn Audio Orbit Plus. Supposedly they still haven't even mailed out all the Kickstarter backer tables yet, so it might be a little bit before I get it.

I actually remember you talking about the James Blake vinyl a while back. It helps it's one of my favorite records period.
That's a great looking turntable and from the sound of it should a great no-nonsense turntable to boot. Shame that it may still take a little bit though.

Gald you remember. It's definitely my most recommend vinyl release (surprise). In an interview James Blake mentioned that he wrote the music on that album to be heard on vinyl. And I believe it.

wheeee hello Vinyl-GAF!

whats everyones deadformat/discogs? i love looking at other peoples collections.

my deadformat
Here is my discogs list. It's not much, but I intend to grow it slowely but steadily.

http://www.discogs.com/user/DanDeKlein/collection?layout=big

Top Bottom