• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

omgkitty

Gald you remember. It's definitely my most recommend vinyl release (surprise). In an interview James Blake mentioned that he wrote the music on that album to be heard on vinyl. And I believe it.

I was listening to Overgrown today, and while listening to "DLM" I was thinking how amazing it would be if James Blake did his own album that was similar to Nick Drake's Pink Moon, except with just him singing and the piano. Doubt it would happen though.

Excuse the poor photos. My phone camera is not the best.
Ny5JZlo.jpg

Om unit- AEOLIAN
Machine Drum- Vapour City (Special Ed)
Dubkasm- Victory
Gemmy- Warrior
Distance- A result of Sound
Commodo- Querky
Kahn- Teran
Spooky- Ghost House Dubz
Karma- How ya feel
Vivek- Mantra
The Planets- Sanfran symphony orchestra (was 50p!)

FYLOgNK.jpg

DJ Yolo Bear
DMZ- 2 Much chat
Mary Anne Hobs- Warrior Dubz Compilation
Commodo Vs Lurka- Capisce!
James Blake- Limit to your love 10"
Kromestar/Dark Tantrums- Noiz
Pinch- Punisher Remixes
Gantz- Stayer

yLMXEtY.jpg

All Deep Medi records in this one

Mala- Miracles
Commodo-Buckwild
Commodo-Commodo EP
Tunnige- Geddeon
Clouds- Protecting Hands Remixes
Goth Trad- Born to know
VIVEK- Pulse
Quest- Visitors

These are ones Ive bought over the last few months, got a bunch in a bulk buy and others just trickling in.

kris.

Banned
welp, got bored and decided to start a discogs account. my collection is still pretty small, only been collecting for about 2 years and mostly only pick up vinyl at shows, but i'm pretty proud of it so far!

dat wax

Did someone mention 808's and heartbreaks is getting a repress? I cant remember where though.
Edit:
Respect the Classics Release Dates:
10/22 – DMX’s It’s Dark and Hell Is Hot (2xLP, gold vinyl)
10/22 - DMX’s Flesh Of My Flesh Blood Of My Blood (2xLP, clear with blood-splattered)
11/12 - 50 Cent’s Get Rich Or Die Tryin’ (2xLP, platinum vinyl)
11/12 - Slick Rick’s The Great Adventures of Slick Rick
11/12 - Public Enemy’s It Takes A Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back
TBD - Eminem’s The Slim Shady LP
TBD - Lil Wayne’s Tha Carter
TBD - Kanye West’s 808s & Heartbreak
TBD - Common’s Like Water For Chocolate
TBD - N.E.R.D.’s In Search Of… (2xLP)
TBD - 2Pac’s Greatest Hits
TBD - D12’s Devils Night
TBD - D12’s D12 World

Has anyone got Dark Twisted fantasie on vinyl as well? I saw on discogs it might be a bad pressing?

amnesiac

Today's purchases (yes, that's my avatar!):
8xHc5bp.png

Sealed copy of So!

I haven't really been buying much vinyl lately. Gotta save my money... And if we're doing Discogs, here's mine. There's a ton of stuff I haven't added though.

omgkitty

11490695496_c7bc6fff81_c.jpg

Explosions in the Sky - The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place
The Knife - Shaking the Habitual
Oneohtrix Point Never - R Plus Seven
William Tyler - Impossible Truth
Kanye West - Graduation
Cliff Martinez - Solaris Soundtrack

Quite a diverse selection if I do say so myself :D

I picked up most of these last week, but got Solaris tonight for a whopping $40 at my local store. Really hurts when I come home and it's just a shitty sleeve with an insert of some images from the film and the record with no download code. Still, it's the first time it's been on vinyl, and it's white vinyl at that and the score is so fucking good. TBH, I've never actually seen that version of Solaris, as I've only seen Tarkovsky's, but the soundtrack is so damn good, it's worth the price.

Danielsan

11490695496_c7bc6fff81_c.jpg

Explosions in the Sky - The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place
The Knife - Shaking the Habitual
Oneohtrix Point Never - R Plus Seven
William Tyler - Impossible Truth
Kanye West - Graduation
Cliff Martinez - Solaris Soundtrack

Quite a diverse selection if I do say so myself :D

I picked up most of these last week, but got Solaris tonight for a whopping $40 at my local store. Really hurts when I come home and it's just a shitty sleeve with an insert of some images from the film and the record with no download code. Still, it's the first time it's been on vinyl, and it's white vinyl at that and the score is so fucking good. TBH, I've never actually seen that version of Solaris, as I've only seen Tarkovsky's, but the soundtrack is so damn good, it's worth the price.
At this rate your vinyl collection will be bigger than mine, despite that fact that you don't even have a record player yet!

I also expanded my collection a bit this week. :)
On Friday I happened to be in Amsterdam so I paid a visit to my favourite record store and treated myself to The Knife - Silent Shout (best The Knife album), Chromatics - Kill For Love (one of my favourites of last year) and Burial - Rival Dealer. And on Saturday I received a Neogaf Secret Santa package from Dawg containing Arcade Fire - Reflektor and Kavinsky - Outrun, as well as numerous other gifts.

fbFSJKb.jpg

I think Reflektor may very well be one of the nicest gatefolds I own. So shiny. The packaging on the Crhomatics album isn't all that special, but does come on some sweet looking pink vinyl.

hgF8PkH.jpg

Charcoal

Would someone here be able to help me? I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to audio equipment and I'm trying to piece together a setup for $600-1000.

The U Turn Orbit looks fantastic, so that leaves me with a receiver/amp and speakers. Any recommendations? =)

Xmas is ruined, my other table decided to loosen it's belt on middle of the holidays and other (even better TT) has a broken pitch belt (hadn't used it in a while as I had even another high-end one). Now I gotta listen to records on plastic portable player.

Erekiddo

Ended up receiving an acrylic platter for my Project Carbon Debut from my girlfriend for Christmas. Really changes the look of it:

photo_zpsc8ae5d27.jpg

photo1_zps0a9446bc.jpg

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
UGGGGGGHHHHH FUCK I really want that acrylic platter. after the first couple paychecks roll in I'm totally buying one. That's not the stock needle is it?

Anyone that remotely likes the white stripes or the blues should really be getting a vault subscription.

Here is a picture containing some of the goodies from the last two packages:
Bcx6OwVCEAER57B.jpg

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
IMG_1782_zpsa596d0d4.jpg
IMG_1781_zpsb3ddb2bd.jpg

IMG_1780_zpsbd9e9071.jpg
IMG_1779_zps3d7e6e13.jpg

Peter Gabriel - Melt / Security / So
Ryan Adams - Cardinology LE

Aragon - s/t (a mid-80s off-shoot from Geinoh Yamashirogumi, and an amazing find in perfect condition with the original photo prints, no less)

Dip In the Pool - Silence
Ryuichi Sakamoto - Neo Geo
Yukihiro Takahashi - School of Thought 12" / Stranger Things 12" (with YMO, Mick Karn, and Bill Nelson)

jj - jj n°3

amnesiac

What's a good way to deep clean records? Can't keep using a brush, which is only good for dust.

I've tried soap and water, but that didn't work out well at all. Thinking of building a homemade VPI type thing or buying a SpinClean machine.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Finally came in the mail today:

IMG_1787a_zps9b1947ab.jpg

Took almost three weeks, but I can overlook the delay since Sky apparently had to arrange and pay for the pressing herself because her label wouldn't. Between this and the Ejecta album, I guess my naked tits an' ass quota is filled for the year.

Hopefully someone will be able to help me out here as im abit of an audio tech noob.

So Ive picked up a mixer (Gemini PS-626 Pro) and some KRK Rokit G3 monitors.
I have two decks I plan to run through the mixer but I need to free up some space first, so currently its just one.

Anyway, The monitors have two balanced and one unbalanced output. They gave my 2 free balanced cables but my mixer only has Un-balanced inputs and outputs :(
So as I only arrived home an hour or so ago I cant run out to the shops to buy a correct cables but Ive got one of these

And stuck one of these on the end of it to plug into one of the monitors output

Is that ok? I mean it works and everything but do I need to buy some kind of Unbalanced to balanced cable for "better" sound?
or can I just grab another adapter and use another cable like above for my other speaker?

Got some nice vinyl for xmas :) next thing onthe list is a much better cartridge..

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/5855151/justin-timberlakes-2020-2013s-best-selling-album-blurred-lines-top-song
For the sixth straight year, more vinyl albums were sold than in any other year since SoundScan launched in 1991. In 2013, 6.1 million vinyl LPs were sold -- up 33% compared to 2012's haul of 4.55 million. 64% of all vinyl albums sold in 2012 were purchased at an independent music store (3% less than compared to indie stores' share in 2012). Notably -- and not surprisingly -- 75% of all vinyl albums sold in 2013 were rock albums.

The top selling vinyl album of 2013 was Daft Punk's "Random Access Memories," having sold 49,000 last year. Vampire Weekend's "Modern Vampires of the City" was in second place with 34,000. (A year ago, the top selling vinyl album was Jack White's "Blunderbuss" with 34,000 LPs sold.

PersonaX

Terrible picture quality, but here goes, todays purchase:

oh, and it also included the CD, which isn't in this photo.
op4bEQW.jpg

XyiZkTv.jpg

and waiting for these beauties to arrive in mail:

3DYZs5N.jpg

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Hopefully someone will be able to help me out here as im abit of an audio tech noob.

Is that ok?

No that is not ok, you're only getting mono sound from one monitor. If this is just for your home, don't worry about balanced audio. Just use RCA cables (the red and white ones) from your turntable to the PH1 input on the mixer (don't forget the ground wire). Then take another RCA cable and rip it apart so you have two separate cables. Plug the white one in to the master output of your mixer and then in to the left speaker. Then do the same for the red one on the right. It should sounds great.

No that is not ok, you're only getting mono sound from one monitor. If this is just for your home, don't worry about balanced audio. Just use RCA cables (the red and white ones) from your turntable to the PH1 input on the mixer (don't forget the ground wire). Then take another RCA cable and rip it apart so you have two separate cables. Plug the white one in to the master output of your mixer and then in to the left speaker. Then do the same for the red one on the right. It should sounds great.

God bless you sir. I for some reason didnt think my RCA cables fit in the unbalanced, god only knows why. But I did as you said and it works great, so thanks!!

Anyone know where I can pick up Woodkids album? I really really reaaallly shouldnt be buying more albums but the OT reminded me of him and how I only have a itunes version.
If any music should be on vinly that stuff should be.

FINALLY! I have entered the world of vinyl this weekend. I absolutely love the Carbon Debut (2M Red) so far. It was easy to setup despite some online reviews saying otherwise. I went and grabbed a few new records at the local store yesterday too. I'm in love with the sound.
C04KHLel.jpg

excuse the hipster photo. I haven't had a chance to take a pic in day time so I used filters to make it stand out on my phone.

So on to my next big step. I need to upgrade my speakers. The Carbon Debut is putting the best quality of anything that has gone through my old Logitech but they aren't built for this use. I am looking for book shelf speakers in the $500 or less range. I love clear and balanced ( Westone UM2 were my favorite 'headphones' I have had). I was considering the Audioengine P4's. I also heard some PSB Image B5's at a local hi fi store and really liked them. Thoughts?

For those of you with Carbons, how do you change the speed?

You have to lift off the platter, and then use a little plastic stick tool thing to move the belt from one size pulley to another. They include the tool because getting your finger grease and shit on the belt can be bad in the long run it says. I haven't had to do it, but I just set it up and noticed the two sized spindle and the mention in the instructions. Not that hard to do, but not exactly flipping a switch.

You have to lift off the platter, and then use a little plastic stick tool thing to move the belt from one size pulley to another. They include the tool because getting your finger grease and shit on the belt can be bad in the long run it says. I haven't had to do it, but I just set it up and noticed the two sized spindle and the mention in the instructions. Not that hard to do, but not exactly flipping a switch.

You could get a speed box and then it would be exactly like flipping a switch.

You could get a speed box and then it would be exactly like flipping a switch.

Yeah, the price for the Pro-ject one is a little steep. If it is nothing but a voltage change I wonder if you can get a cheaper alternative? I guess it depends on your collection and how often you need to change it up.

Yeah, the price for the Pro-ject one is a little steep. If it is nothing but a voltage change I wonder if you can get a cheaper alternative? I guess it depends on your collection and how often you need to change it up.

Yeah there are cheaper options. I couldn't live without a record player where I could switch speeds without any hassle. 7"'s are by far my favorite format and lifting the plate for that occasional 33RPM 7" or 45RPM 12" would drive me crazy. Heh

Yeah there are cheaper options. I couldn't live without a record player where I could switch speeds without any hassle. 7"'s are by far my favorite format and lifting the plate for that occasional 33RPM 7" or 45RPM 12" would drive me crazy. Heh

I can imagine it getting old very quick. My collection is just starting, so I have only 33s for now. Even $120 becomes doable once you are switching it up all the time. My priority is on new speakers right now.

Noob question here; what is the consensus on which direction you put your albums into a poly outer sleeve? I figure less dust will get on the record with the album opening going into the sleeve first, so the spine is exposed in the opening. Does it even matter? I knew this hobby was going to bring out some of my compulsions!

number11

Noob question here; what is the consensus on which direction you put your albums into a poly outer sleeve? I figure less dust will get on the record with the album opening going into the sleeve first, so the spine is exposed in the opening. Does it even matter? I knew this hobby was going to bring out some of my compulsions!

With the outer sleeve opening at the top.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management

Once you have a whole row of records you'll discover why this won't work. The hole goes on the top to make sliding it from the shelf easier. They're to protect the cardboard sleeve, not to keep dust out.

Pull record out from top of the poly-sleeve, pull dust sleeve out from the right, pull vinyl out from the top. All part of the ritual man.

With the outer sleeve opening at the top.

Once you have a whole row of records you'll discover why this won't work. The hole goes on the top to make sliding it from the shelf easier. They're to protect the cardboard sleeve, not to keep dust out.

Pull record out from top of the poly-sleeve, pull dust sleeve out from the right, pull vinyl out from the top. All part of the ritual man.

This is what I was staring to suspect was the best solution. Thanks.

I've been reading a bunch of stuff and I'm worried going down this path could bring out a bunch of my OCD. I worried myself just going over which equipment I'll need and after a short break I drove myself crazy again thinking of the weight and counter weight mechanisms, switching from 33 to 45 on the project turbtable ect.

I'm hesitant to even jump in.

Top Bottom