• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

Once you have a whole row of records you'll discover why this won't work. The hole goes on the top to make sliding it from the shelf easier. They're to protect the cardboard sleeve, not to keep dust out.

Pull record out from top of the poly-sleeve, pull dust sleeve out from the right, pull vinyl out from the top. All part of the ritual man.

well said!

Make sure you get good sized sleeves. Some of those standard ones sold in record stores aren't big enough to hold gatefold albums comfortably.

The poly sleeves I got from my local record shop (Angry Mom Records) seem to comfortably hold Daft Punk: Random Access Memories and The National: Trouble Will Find Me which seem to be pretty beefy gatefolds. For anyone that owns either of these albums, where do they stand in terms of thickness?

Edit: These are the ones. 12-3/4 x 12-3/4" 3 mil POLYETHYLENE

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
The poly sleeves I got from my local record shop (Angry Mom Records) seem to comfortably hold Daft Punk: Random Access Memories and The National: Trouble Will Find Me which seem to be pretty beefy gatefolds. For anyone that owns either of these albums, where do they stand in terms of thickness?

Edit: These are the ones. 12-3/4 x 12-3/4" 3 mil POLYETHYLENE

Real test would be if they can hold the deluxe edition of QOTSA "...Like Clockwork". Shit is heavy as fuck with dual ply cardboard sleeves and heavy stock paper for the liner notes.

Hmmm, according to the Amazon reviews it seems that box set of Beatles vinyl reissue a few years ago has huge quality control issues. Are there good easily obtainable reissues of Beatles vinyl out there?

Hmmm, according to the Amazon reviews it seems that box set of Beatles vinyl reissue a few years ago has huge quality control issues. Are there good easily obtainable reissues of Beatles vinyl out there?

No but there are great easily obtainable older pressings of Beatles vinyl out there that will set you back less than a reissue would. Check your local good will / used record store or discogs.com if you want to get lazy.

Finally got a new belt for my other TT and got a response from another eBay seller on another pitch belt so I should be back on track in no time. WOot

amnesiac

The Beatles vinyl reissues that were pressed in the US have quality control issues. Buy from a UK store to get a nice import copy.

Also,I would recommend staying away from the Capitol (US) Beatles albums. They sound like garbage compared to their Parlophone (UK) counterparts.

The Beatles vinyl reissues that were pressed in the US have quality control issues. Buy from a UK store to get a nice import copy.

Also,I would recommend staying away from the Capitol (US) Beatles albums. They sound like garbage compared to their Parlophone (UK) counterparts.

Thanks for the heads up. Ok, another noob question. The felt mat on my Carbon Debut is always crazy staticky and clings to the record when I take it off and I can hear the static crackling though the speakers as it hits the tone arm. Any simple way to de-static your turntable or at the very least the felt mat? I was thinking of switching to a cork mat.

Thanks for the heads up. Ok, another noob question. The felt mat on my Carbon Debut is always crazy staticky and clings to the record when I take it off and I can hear the static crackling though the speakers as it hits the tone arm. Any simple way to de-static your turntable or at the very least the felt mat? I was thinking of switching to a cork mat.

Is your turntable properly grounded? You should have grounding wire going from your TT to your amp or other surface that lead electricity.

Some mats are staticky but it should be a problem if your ground wires are handled properly

Is your turntable properly grounded? You should have grounding wire going from your TT to your amp or other surface that lead electricity.

Some mats are staticky but it should be a problem if your ground wires are handled properly

I have the ground going to the phono preamp ground. Both devices are in a ground surge protector on a grounded outlet. All of this is on wooden shelves. It might be because it is just dry as fuck right now in winter and that felt mat is going to be a static magnet. I don't get any crackling during play, just when I change records I feel like I am in a science experiment with how staticky shit gets.

11490695496_c7bc6fff81_c.jpg

Explosions in the Sky - The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place
The Knife - Shaking the Habitual
Oneohtrix Point Never - R Plus Seven
William Tyler - Impossible Truth
Kanye West - Graduation
Cliff Martinez - Solaris Soundtrack

Quite a diverse selection if I do say so myself :D

I picked up most of these last week, but got Solaris tonight for a whopping $40 at my local store. Really hurts when I come home and it's just a shitty sleeve with an insert of some images from the film and the record with no download code. Still, it's the first time it's been on vinyl, and it's white vinyl at that and the score is so fucking good. TBH, I've never actually seen that version of Solaris, as I've only seen Tarkovsky's, but the soundtrack is so damn good, it's worth the price.

where did you get Graduation? how?

omgkitty

where did you get Graduation? how?

Local record store. It's a bootleg and not official. Last I checked you can get it off of discogs for like $25.

So I have a question. I ordered a U-Turn Orbit Plus back in December and it looks like it won't get here until at the earliest, the end of February. I looked online and realized I can get a Pro-ject Debut III for pretty much the same price and of course much sooner. I don't really know the difference in the tables or the sound quality, so would switching be a good idea or if for what I'm getting should I just wait?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.

From last weekend. My girl took me to 1234 Go records and those along with a Zola Jesus and Conan O Brien single were my pickups.

Next day I picked up two records from Aquarius but no photos currently, later after work maybe.

I also just ordered a copy of Reflektor from Amazon. Excited for that one to come in this weekend.

From last weekend. My girl took me to 1234 Go records and those along with a Zola Jesus and Conan O Brien single were my pickups.

Next day I picked up two records from Aquarius but no photos currently, later after work maybe.

I also just ordered a copy of Reflektor from Amazon. Excited for that one to come in this weekend.

1234GO is a great label and a great store (obviously haven't been in the actual store as I am from the wrong side of the world)!

amnesiac

My local bookstore had a Capitol first press mono copy of Sgt. Pepper for $10 with all the inserts. Good deal I guess, record is kind of beat up though. Just glad I finally have it in mono.

Gotta get the UK ones though...

Today I tackled into fixing my old Dual CS505-3. Last time I checked it, the pitchbelt had corroded away and there were other issues too, such as the turntable not starting to spin (>_>). So I open up the carrying screws, remove the platter and put in a new pitchbelt.

Funny thing is that I have had that TT for YEARS and I never really understood that that knob was the pitch control, actually the belt might have been broken into pieces for years too! Anyway, onwards to tackling the autostart issue, I was kinda worried that the motor was busted, but putting on the electricity (don't try this at home :p) and fiddling around revealed that it was actually that turning the tonearm in the wrong position didn't press the autostart button hard enough. I still don't have the proper solution for that one, just a way to get around it (carefully adjusting the tonearm to the right position) but at least I now know what's up with that. Maybe there are some loose screws or a some spring isn't springy enough, I'll look into that later.

At the same time I was trying to figure out what's up with the speed changer not working. Well the reason was easy to figure out, switching speeds work when you go from 45 to 33, but for some reason the thingamajig doesn't lift the belt properly when going to the opposite direction. This is most likely because of the old belt: it's too loose be tough enough for the thingamajig to raise. At least I hope so, because spare parts are pretty rather hard to get and expensive. Still the belt does work with 33RPM and there was no audible wobbling so I guess not all hope is lost.

Next time when I have more time it's time to get those two working properly so I can bump it back to as my TT#1 (I had a Pioneer PL-518, awesome TT by the way, replace it for some years but had to get rid of it :().

Hey guys, I'm looking for a new record player set-up for my room. I've got this super-old record player console for the living room, but i'm looking for a new set up for around $150. Any recommendations?

pablito

hopefully i'll be getting my uturn orbit and demilich box set this week. projected delivery for orbit is week of jan 31 since i ordered in september, and the box set's release day is today (preordered in december). also got a pair of rokit 6 g2's last week. waiting to get them all so i can get a shot of it together. so excite!

Dwayne

Hey guys, I'm looking for a new record player set-up for my room. I've got this super-old record player console for the living room, but i'm looking for a new set up for around $150. Any recommendations?

Recommendation: save a bit more and buy one of the ones posted in the op

Nothing will compare to the original UK releases but the US albums are an interesting listen in terms of the different mixes that were used such as the extra verse on the mono version of "I'll Cry Instead" plus all the added reverb.

pablito

another delay on the orbit :\

i know it's not like they want the delays to happen, but man it's hard getting excited then it gets close to your time of delivery then it gets delayed for the third time. at this rate i might end up moving to another address before i get mine. i really hope this is the final delay.

amnesiac

Latest pickups...

HoPkcrD.jpg

Beatles - Sgt Pepper
Elliott Smith - S/T
J Dilla - Donuts
Bob Dylan - The Times They Are-A Changin'
Flaming Lips - 2nd Cassette Demo
Flaming Lips - S/T EP

I was actually looking for those Flaming Lips albums a while back. Luckily I found them recently in a smaller shop in the area. They're signed by Wayne, too.

nGUJj4W.jpg

Finally finished my new turntable/stereo setup! (for now) So excited. It is such a massive upgrade from playing MP3's or Spotify through my old Logitech Z5550's. So glad I finally made the jump into vinyl. Random Access Memories on vinyl alone has been worth it. I know the layout isn't ideal. Eventually I am redoing the shelves in each nook and will be able to isolate the turntable more and position the speakers better in addition to some nice shelves for my records. No interference between the speakers and the TT yet, but I haven't blasted it.

Setup:
-Pro-ject Carbon Debut
-Monitor Audio BX2
-NAD 318BEE

I dont know how much of an issue this really is but it may be worth picking up some Isolation pads for the speakers, as the bass can make the turntable vibrate as they are sat on the same surface.
That framed photo is also really nice.

I dont know how much of an issue this really is but it may be worth picking up some Isolation pads for the speakers, as the bass can make the turntable vibrate as they are sat on the same surface.
That framed photo is also really nice.

Depending on how soon I can build some new shelves/cabinets I think I will just get a low cost solution of some absorption pads. Any recomendations?

Re: the pics. Thanks. They are just framed wrapping paper sheets from a paper shop, hehe. You can probably find them at a paper shop near you. Here found them online, Phrenology print and Palmisty print Can't beat the price $4 a piece!

Hahah, that is incredible. I got a little digital jewelers scale to check the force of my stylus (I was paranoid I set up my Debut wrong) and I had it fucking exactly right, to a hundredth of a gram. Guess I can sleep easy now. It will come in handy if/when I change cartridges.

cross post from electronic music gaf but yeah, just moved into my new place today and can finally have everything setup!
Not managed to test it sound wise due to it being gone midnight but that can wait till morning!

Top Bottom