• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

amnesiac

If anyone likes video game music then this is available on RSD. 1000 copies worldwide.

power_glove130314.jpg.jpg

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Bought one of those anti-static brushes since a lot of my records make the hair on my arm stand up they're so staticky...but I don't really think it's doing anything. Not sure what else it would take to get rid of this stuff.

amnesiac

Bought one of those anti-static brushes since a lot of my records make the hair on my arm stand up they're so staticky...but I don't really think it's doing anything. Not sure what else it would take to get rid of this stuff.

What brand did you get? Audioquest?

I know that the quality between brands varies greatly.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I might be moving in a couple months and I'm scared about transporting 300+ records, are milk crates really the best option? won't they ding up the sleeves?

pablito

I might be moving in a couple months and I'm scared about transporting 300+ records, are milk crates really the best option? won't they ding up the sleeves?

im actually moving in a week and a half, but i have a pretty small amount still. i can manage 30 records. im just hoping to find a box JUST big enough to put them in, that way there's not much movement. then i'll just but them in the back seat of my car.

Just rent some moving crates that fit the LP's and can be stacked. Or do it like my friend and purchase couple of paper bags

944187_10151524959328323_1063669021_n.jpg

Sleeves aren't even that delicate so don't worry too much about them as long as they are properly packed (tight fit with nothing stacked directly on top of them)

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
man if I ever move again (not in the foreseeable future...) i would never do boxes again for my records.

those bags tho look ingenious. boxes were way to fucking heavy and I dinged em up more than i thgouth i would.

man if I ever move again (not in the foreseeable future...) i would never do boxes again for my records.

those bags tho look ingenious. boxes were way to fucking heavy and I dinged em up more than i thgouth i would.

What I did was order way more boxes than I should have (they only cost like 7 cents per day per one box) and filled them about halfway through. General advice when moving is never fill that box completely, it's much more shitty carrying one super heavy box than 3 easier ones if you ask me.

The bags are a great idea, but remember to give them some leeway too so you don't end up with two straps on your hand a pile of records on the street :p

8bit

Knows the Score
Found an 80s Sanyo tpx3 tuentable in the local thrift shop equivalent for a few bucks today (along with a lovely pioneer cassette deck), and after a bit of a clean and replacing the headshell with a spare hooked it up and the difference in sound versus the numark tt200 is astonishing.

overcast

My room at my house is small, so I'm thinking I'll just collect vinyls for fun until I move out. Then I'll grab a record player.

Anything I should keep in mind to maintain the records I will be buying?

My room at my house is small, so I'm thinking I'll just collect vinyls for fun until I move out. Then I'll grab a record player.

Anything I should keep in mind to maintain the records I will be buying?

Make sure it's out of direct sunlight and in room temp, other then that you should be ok

Easy enough. I definitely need to by something for storage as the collection grows. What do you use?

A shelf.

Specifically a Lundia shelf:

49712d1238421731-m-lundia-hyllysto-_lundiahyllysto.jpg_.jpg

Some people swear by Expedit and I always wanted one until I actually got my one of my own. Good for storage, shitty for active listening unless you screw some record stoppers in the back.

overcast

http://www.johnvantine.com/i-built-a-vinyl-record-shelf/
These are nice if you prefer front facing. I'm currently using an Expedit but will be shifting to these, easier to browse and I like have the covers exposed.
These look great, but I'm lazy.

I'll probably end up getting the Expedit since you guys are reccomending them. Thanks a lot everyone. It's fun to buy records. Which probably isn't good for my wallet.

Oh, it's only 35 for a 2x2, that's good.

STG!

http://www.johnvantine.com/i-built-a-vinyl-record-shelf/
These are nice if you prefer front facing. I'm currently using an Expedit but will be shifting to these, easier to browse and I like have the covers exposed.

One guy I chatted with decided to lay an Expedit down (and raise it waist height) so he could get the same effect. Nice if you have the room as it gives it that record store feel, but personally I just got too much vinyl to do something like this and I don't like having the vinyl lay at an angle.

Oh, and for the guy moving vinyl, I totally agree about using smaller boxes/bags. I made the mistake of moving my collection one time in bins that held about 200+... ouch. I'd rather do the extra back and forth with much smaller amounts rather than break my back again.

Dwayne

One guy I chatted with decided to lay an Expedit down (and raise it waist height) so he could get the same effect. Nice if you have the room as it gives it that record store feel, but personally I just got too much vinyl to do something like this and I don't like having the vinyl lay at an angle.
I've seen a picture of that on stevehoffman forums, it's really awesome. I prefer the lower front though to see the records easier. I plan to run a mix, A-Z Rock/Pop flipping, everything else spine out Expedit.

omgkitty

Anyone have any recommendations for a good pre-amp? My record table should FINALLY be here in the next few weeks, and I figured I'll probably need a pre-amp. I thought about going with the Hagerman Bugle2 in the OP, but he only has kits available and not pre-built ones, and I don't feel like messing with that.

omgkitty

Just got the Sisyphus LP in and I've decided I don't want it. It's the limited edition gold version. If anyone wants it, let me know.

0002458677_10.jpg

hoverX

Was at my parents house this weekend. Picked up a few old classics from my collection.

Dead Kennedys - Frankenchrist
Sonic Youth - Washing Machine
Butthole Surfers Locust Abortion Technician
Nirvana - Wipeout

45 King - 900 number
BDP - Criminal Minded
Tribe Called Question - People's Instinctive Travels
Public Enemy - Welcome to the Terrordome 12"

mattiewheels

Not sure if anyone cares here, but I heard Neil Young's releasing his second vinyl box for record store day, and it has Time Fades Away in it (first release since the original in '73). I'm not sure yet if I'm getting it, even though those are four tremendous albums...but at least it makes it seem like Archives Vol 2 is coming.

Dwayne

Not sure if anyone cares here, but I heard Neil Young's releasing his second vinyl box for record store day, and it has Time Fades Away in it (first release since the original in '73). I'm not sure yet if I'm getting it, even though those are four tremendous albums...but at least it makes it seem like Archives Vol 2 is coming.

Limited to 3500 copies, and apparently $160 ;o

some more news on it: http://www.analogplanet.com/content...re-day-4-lp-box-set-produced-master-tapes-aaa

mattiewheels

Yeah, and $160 actually sounds reasonable since all his vinyl costs $40 new, and the quality of the first new vinyl series is pretty much setting the standard. What I do wonder is if they'll sell the four separately like they did with the first box, and also finally put Time Fades Away on CD. And I'm truly obsessed with what's gonna wind up on Archives 2, really want to hear stuff like Homegrown.

And speaking of RSD, there'll be t-shirts on sale then as well, I need this one:

Top Bottom