• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

O
Hold on, the cables only carry one channel. So if white goes to left monitor and red to right monitor you're only going to hear one channel from each speaker or am I missing something else?

!

Turns out it was the needle on one of the records wasnt adjusted properly, or atleast sorting that fixed it.
Running one cable to one and one to the other has sound out of both speakers. It was someone in here that told me running it differently leads it to coming out mono I think it was?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I haven't done a pickup post in awhile...here it goes

today:
photonqyss.jpg
photo33p3kt8.jpg

photo13oqkqv.jpg
photo584jkp.jpg

photo24q7kee.jpg

Liars - Mess
Sampha - Dual
Blondie - Parallel Lines
Sisyphus (3) ‎– Sisyphus (Clear w/ Gold Splatter thanks to omgkitty)
Perfect Pussy - Say Yes To Love

last week:
photo11adkem.jpg
photo12chkvz.jpg

photo3pok3q.jpg
photo417djs4.jpg
photo4r0kuc.jpg
photo235tj6z.jpg

photo51c2jcs.jpg
photo1aajo5.jpg

photo2wvji6.jpg
photo21hkjye.jpg

photo4f0kip.jpg
photo35gkod.jpg

photo1lkju1.jpg
photo2b0jb1.jpg

Blondie - Eat To The Beat
Frank Ocean - nostalgia, ULTRA. (bootleg, cuts off at the halfway point in the last track :/)
Night Terrors, The - Spiral Vortex
Joan As Police Woman - The Deep Field
Homeboy Sandman - White Sands
Burial - Rival Dealer
Warpaint - Warpaint (limited edition red vinyl)
Earth, Wind & Fire - The Best Of Earth Wind & Fire Vol. I
Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell - You're All I Need
1965 San Remo Festival
St. Vincent - St. Vincent
Knife, The - Silent Shout
Classixx - Hanging Gardens
Ejecta - Dominae

some point in the last 3 months:
photo5207kjl.jpg
photo42ucj7v.jpg

photo439lk7n.jpg
photo538gk74.jpg

photo31o1k9z.jpg
photo322mkdn.jpg

Nancy Wilson - Today - My Way
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II
Billy Cobham's Glass Menagerie - Smokin'
Step Brothers* - Lord Steppington (Instrumentals)

So this idiot returns from the grave to PM me this

kick51 said:
Ken Masters said:
kick51 said:
i put up a list of stuff that had prices $20+ less than an average online selling price, but you're accusing me of profiteering because I didn't pull a price out of my ass for something that's got about 500 copies pressed and apparently never even been flipped (as you put it) online before?

I asked you how much you want for the record, not knowing what it goes for, you know how much you paid for it, I don't. You went online to see how much the market was asking for it, you couldn't' find a price, so you want to wait and see how much you can make on this thing (someone puts a copy on eBay for $100 you'll ask me for $100, someone puts a copy for $20 you'll ask for that).

I'm not desperate for this record, just thought as a vinyl user who loves games it would be cool to own, you want to see what you can get for it, fine, that's your right. But you know what you paid for it originally, so yes, you do know logically what you should sell it for it, I'm not accusing you of anything.

So you think I should sell it at the price I paid, so you can flip it for big profit? Nice try bud LOL

I DON'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT YOUR RAMPAGE VINYL. Yes genius, I want to flip your stupid vinyl for millions of dollars just like all the other Retro City Rampage vinyl have been flipped for (because you're too slow, they haven't been re sold because no one cares)

Where can I buy this?

I don't know where you're based, I've only checked around the major online record stores in the UK (Norman, Bleep, etc), and where it was listed, all are showing out of stock. I think the label (Binyl) didn't anticipate the demand and/or was restricted to a low run...

omgkitty

I don't know where you're based, I've only checked around the major online record stores in the UK (Norman, Bleep, etc), and where it was listed, all are showing out of stock. I think the label (Binyl) didn't anticipate the demand and/or was restricted to a low run...

That's a shame. When you posted it, I checked on eBay to see 2 listed for ridiculous money ($400 and $700) and then discogs only had releases from the 80's and 90's listed. I hope the Akira release isn't low. I'm going to need that!

Man I love record store day. Pretty much every single release I am excited about right now are pushed back a month or two because record plants are clogged up with Aerosmith and Elton John reissues.

Damn, I want this badly

Go to your closest record store/flea market/ good will and buy it for a dollar. There are about a billion of those in circulation, great record anyway!. Everybody knows Hanging On The Telephone, some might not know that it's a Nerves cover (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emy5mA8Ixtc&feature=kp) and fewer know that Jack Lee wrote another killer song for the record, Will Anything Happen.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Man I love record store day. Pretty much every single release I am excited about right now are pushed back a month or two because record plants are clogged up with Aerosmith and Elton John reissues.

Source? I don't not believe you but it's hilarious to think that many people want/need Aerosmith re-issues.

Source? I don't not believe you but it's hilarious to think that many people want/need Aerosmith re-issues.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ae...yl-to-be-made-available-for-record-store-day/

http://www.recordstoreday.co.uk/exclusive-products/secret-7/

etc. etc. People bought a METRIC SHITTON of Fleetwood Mac - Rumours LP which is very very VERY easily available from any used record store around to world, so there's that.

If you meant source for the records being late, there's a fairly notable UG-label EKTRO RECORDS posting about X_X (Electric Eels/John Morton related awesome band, not the XX) being late because of http://www.ektrorecords.com/ektro.php for example. Also many of my friends run small/indie/DIY labels such as Ugly Pop, Blast Of Silence, Airiston Punklevyt and so I hear about these things first hand too very often. If you think about the volumes the major labels are pushing out RSD-vinyls out, it's not very surprising.

If you want old rock/pop music go to bootsales, I went to one this weekend to have a nose about and was drowning in fleetwood mac, Kate bush and other such records.
Saw that Blondie parrael lines but its not my kind of thing as I was after disco and funk stuff. Gf got a sound of music lP for 15p as well haha

Cheddahz

Banned
Go to your closest record store/flea market/ good will and buy it for a dollar. There are about a billion of those in circulation, great record anyway!. Everybody knows Hanging On The Telephone, some might not know that it's a Nerves cover (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emy5mA8Ixtc&feature=kp) and fewer know that Jack Lee wrote another killer song for the record, Will Anything Happen.

Sadly, the closest record store to me is an hour away, but I plan on going there soon anyways, so I'll probably check some out

FnordChan

Edit: Looks like it's available at Forced Exposure but don't have enough money in my account and it won't take Paypal :\

Thanks for the heads up on Forced Exposure carrying those Geinoh Yamashirogumi releases. Unfortunately, I seem to recall that "Low Stock Level" generally means "Probably sold out, but we're still checking around just in case", so my own order may or may not go through. Fingers are crossed!

FnordChan

omgkitty

Thanks for the heads up on Forced Exposure carrying those Geinoh Yamashirogumi releases. Unfortunately, I seem to recall that "Low Stock Level" generally means "Probably sold out, but we're still checking around just in case", so my own order may or may not go through. Fingers are crossed!

FnordChan

Did they charge you when you ordered?

I've been holding back on purchases the last few weeks to save up for record store day, hopefully I won't have to wake up too early this year

I've been stalking around the Spin the Blackest Circles forum, and it appears it's shown up on a few sites in the US (Experimedia and Fusetron) but they're already sold out.

Edit: Looks like it's available at Forced Exposure but don't have enough money in my account and it won't take Paypal :\

Thanks for the heads up, I love the Akira sound track and didn't even think to look for it on vinyl once I started this hobby last year. Fingers crossed my order goes through too!

I had to ship my Debut Carbon to the US Pro-ject distributor for repairs. I got it in January but within two months the left channel output started dropping during playback. Sounds like it is a minor repair, but I miss it already and my shelf looks so empty without it. Hopefully it gets back before RSD.

FnordChan

I thought I'd post some of my recent pickups...

Nice, especially Flood and the Aliens OST!

For folks desperately searching for the Geinoh Yamashirogumi releases (such as myself), here's a bit of news from Spin The Blackest Circles.

Re-animated Cat said:
AKIRA is being repressed, so more copies will be around soon. Probably next month, according to Norm Recs. So no need to hit up Discogs/the ‘Bay

Fingers are crossed this means Forced Exposure will have more copies in May as well.

FnordChan

omgkitty

For folks desperately searching for the Geinoh Yamashirogumi releases (such as myself), here's a bit of news from Spin The Blackest Circles.

Fingers are crossed this means Forced Exposure will have more copies in May as well.

FnordChan

I thought I saw you on there!

omgkitty

Yep! I try not to spend to much time over on Spin The Blackest Circles - it's hard on the wallet - but I do pop up from time to time. Are you omgkitty over there or are you going by another handle?

FnordChan

Yeah I'm omgkitty...I just joined on Monday and have already bought two records from somebody. Guy wanted me to pay gift though, so that was kinda sketchy. I just discovered the site last week, but I've been getting into soundtracks pretty hard. Only thing that sucks about the site is people don't post very often, so it gets boring really quick there.

Awesome. Where did you order?!

Thanks! I ordered from Norman Records in the UK. I wasn't sure if I'd get a copy as the listing stated 'available, but we'll need to order it in first'. With all the chatter about it becoming difficult to get hold of, I didn't fancy my chances - but a dispatch mail yesterday calmed my nerves, and it arrived safely today.

FnordChan

My copy of the AKIRA reissue finally arrived. Was getting nervous!

Very nice! Glad to see at least someone in this thread got their hands on the album.

Meanwhile, I just got email from Forced Exposure explaining that the Geinoh Yamashirogumi releases are out of stock and my order is officially on hold pending restock, whenever that may be. Here's hoping they'll get more copies in at some point.

FnordChan, crossing his fingers and playing a gamelan for good luck

8bit

Knows the Score
You may as well stop collecting vinyl. Where could you possibly go from there that could top this?

FnordChan, who recently picked up the 7" single for "Always" by Erasure

Oooh, that's a good one. I found a bunch of my old singles in my parents loft recently, I'm going to make a mixtape once I find a shop with C90s.

ufYGFao.png

FnordChan

Oooh, that's a good one. I found a bunch of my old singles in my parents loft recently, I'm going to make a mixtape once I find a shop with C90s.

That looks like an amazing treasure trove! Also, you're not the only one with cassette related urges these days; I recently dug up some old blank 100 minute Maxell XLIIs I had buried away and have been itching to make a mix tape of some sort.

Well I was about to say that I had the same one that Rick Astley autographed for me after this interview (my cousin was conducting the interview so I was backstage) but then I remembered that I lost the mythical 7" : (

That's beautiful and heart breaking all at the same time. ;_;

FnordChan

FnordChan

Unfortunately, I didn't learn about the first volume until it had gone thoroughly out of print and off to the land of excessive Discogs prices, but I just pledged for Kosmischer Läufer Volume Two: The Secret Cosmic Music of the East German Olympic Program 1972-83.

a78594dd2f7f4ed225dfc42538d0abb5_large.jpg

I wrote to the organizers asking if there was any hope of a reprint of the first volume, but as expected they indicated that their hands were full with the current Kickstarter and any reprint is far in the future; however, the first volume is available digitally, so at least there's that. Meanwhile, I'm super stoked to be spinning the second volume in the not-too-distant future. For a sample, check out "Morgenröte" and "Zeit Zum Laufen 172".

FnordChan, 20 kilometer walk competitor for the GDR at Munich '72

8bit

Knows the Score
Unfortunately, I didn't learn about the first volume until it had gone thoroughly out of print and off to the land of excessive Discogs prices, but I just pledged for Kosmischer Läufer Volume Two: The Secret Cosmic Music of the East German Olympic Program 1972-83.

I wrote to the organizers asking if there was any hope of a reprint of the first volume, but as expected they indicated that their hands were full with the current Kickstarter and any reprint is far in the future; however, the first volume is available digitally, so at least there's that. Meanwhile, I'm super stoked to be spinning the second volume in the not-too-distant future. For a sample, check out "Morgenröte" and "Zeit Zum Laufen 172".

Wow, the music in the youtube link is awesome. I'm up for one of those,

Anyway, I got an email yesterday mentioning a reissue of Wendy Carlos' Tron Soundtrack on blue vinyl : http://boomkat.com/vinyl/982209-wendy-carlos-tron-original-soundtrack

omgkitty

Holy shit thanks for posting this! Someone posted about it in my Twitter feed and I clicked on it, said whatever and never read the page because all I saw was German. So glad I got to see this again. Definitely pledged.

Danielsan

I have to check this out. Listening to Morgenröte now and it's fucking amazing. Might just pledge for this!

omgkitty

Holy shit this is crazy:

What's this all about? What's "The Caustic Window LP"? How is WATMM releasing Richard's music? Is the world coming to an end?

The Caustic Window LP is a legendary unreleased test pressing (only 4 5 known to exist) that was supposed to be released after the run of Joyrex EPs on Rephlex Records. For various reasons, it was decided to hold off on this 2xLP release and release other artists' music on the label. When a mysterious seller on Discogs appeared offering it for sale at an eye-watering 13,500.00 USD, folks jokingly suggested to crowdfund an effort and buy the LP so everyone could have a rip of the vinyl.

Fast forward to a few days ago, and being the crazy bastard I am, decided to reach out to Rephlex and see if we could do it - and Richard and Grant said yes! We've been granted one-time duplication rights (aka make digital copies of the vinyl tracks) for 600 people all the people who fund the upcoming Kickstarter project to get a digital download of the music. Rephlex will never officially release this album, so this is a once-in-a-lifetime opprotunity to own some rare, classic electronic music!

What's Kickstarter?
Kickstarter is an increasingly popular way for artists and individuals and companies to fund projects and causes by getting individuals to "pledge" an amount towards a goal, and if the goal is met, the project owner then follows through with the promised items in return for the contributors' support. In this case, we're allowing 600 people everyone who wants to purchase one digital copy of the LP, at approximately 15.50 USD (around 10.00 GBP, 11,20 EUR).

Who gets the money?
Since this is not a traditional record release in almost every sense, I came up with the idea that the money for the record would go to the seller (which Rephlex negotiated with to lower their asking price to 5,000.00 GBP (around 8,300.00USD), and the money from the Kickstarter will be paid to the seller. All involved (Richard, the seller, Grant) felt this was better than some collector getting it (and possibly leaking it onto the internet) and give the hardcore fans a chance to own this rare (non) release.

Who gets the record (the actual record)?
Once the Kickstarter is funded and the seller is paid, Rephlex will ship the record to someone I've chosen to rip the audio from the vinyl, and produce lossless digital audio files. Then the record will be shipped to me for the second phase of this project.

Then what happens?
After that, the record will be put on Ebay and auctioned off, with the proceeds of the money being split into thirds - one third goes to Richard James (royalty for his work - aka the music), one third back to the backers of the Kickstarter (split among the backers), and the final third given to a charity that the community will decide upon (we'll vote for that later). Ideally, we'll be getting the mechanisms together to deliver the digital audio files to the backers via secure download.

When's the Kickstarter going to, you know, start?
Kickstarter themselves has to approve the project. No set date is available yet, but we'll do our best to let everyone know in advance.

What happens if the Kickstarter doesn't reach the funding goal?

Kickstarter doesn't charge you, the backer anything until the project reaches it's funding goal (somehow I have a feeling this won't be a problem) - all you provide them is a credit card number to hold until the project meets it's goal. The seller will be then free to sell the record to anyone willing to pay his asking price.

How are the audio files going to be made?
One of our community members who has experience in ripping vinyl is going to do this, and will be producing a direct rip with no alterations to the tracks (aka post-software processing) using high-quality equipment. We are going to ensure this is the best possible quality.

Will WATMM members get first dibs at the Kickstarter?
I am currently evaluating the best way to do this so of course, the WATMM community gets first crack at it - suggestions are welcome. The Kickstarter will not just go live - there will be a date and time established so nobody will be caught unaware (hopefully). I just hope we don't use up all 600 spots ourselves and someone on the outside doesn't get a chance!

What if I don't have a credit card? Does Kickstarter take PayPal?
According to Kickstarter's Pledge FAQ, they only accept credit cards. Sorry!

Why should I support this? Once the digital files are out there, it's going to be pirated anyways.
Well, beyond the obvious legal reasons for doing so, my thinking is if you are a true fan of Richard's music, and a fan of music in general (regardless of genre), this is a no-brainer - plus, you're part of a unique event in music history! I think it goes without saying that the hope is everyone who is part of this "does the right thing" and keeps the digital files to themselves as something special.

9/4/2014 @ 1:30CST: Huge news! We're lifting the number of contributor restrictions so anyone who wants it will be able to purchase it! More money for charity! More money for Richard/Rephlex! More money for the seller!

It's explained better on Pitchfork, but I can't access it at work.

TL;DR - Unreleased Aphex Twin album is going to be sold digitally on Kickstarter.

Top Bottom