• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

amnesiac

Update from the last month or so.

9l1ECqI.jpg

Beck - Morning Phase: Album of the year so far. It's beautiful. Sounds great, too.
Blur - Parklife: Classic britpop album. These 2012 reissues sound great, gonna have to pick them all up.

7m3mi6f.jpg

(Got these all for $30 thanks to the Best Buy sale)

Andrew Bird - Useless Creatures: Great instrumental album from violinist/whistler Andrew Bird. If you haven't heard of him, I'd suggest you check his music out. Good stuff.
The Flaming Lips - The Terror: Their weirdest album yet? It's very dark and electronic. Have to listen to it more.
Deafheaven - Sunbather: The first metal album I have ever bought. I don't really like metal, but the awesome shoegaze influence this album has is great. Check it out.

GpikKHo.jpg

Radiohead - OK Computer: So a couple years ago when I first discovered Radiohead, I bought some of their albums on vinyl, OK Computer included. Unfortunately, not knowing anything about vinyl, they are all pretty scratched up now. So I've been on a trek to buy them all again. This particular copy is from the UK under the Parlophone label. I am 99% sure it is analog unlike the US Capitol releases. There's not much information on when these were repressed/reissued in the UK so it's hard to tell what source this is. I got it from Amazon UK sealed. (Sounds incredible, by the way).

QN26c9w.jpg

Third Eye Blind - Third Eye Blind: Excellent album from the 90s. A little background information: This has been out of print since the original release, and it costs $100+ to get an original. Last year, some label was going to reissue it, but then 3EB stopped them and decided it to reissue it (along with the rest of their catalog) on their own. It was kind of a rip off at $40 but this probably won't ever get reissued again and it's better than buying an original pressing. Sounds very good. I think it was made from 24 bit WAV files, if I recall correctly.

Weezer - Blue Album: Another excellent album from the 90s. I traded in a bunch of stuff to my local store and spent the store credit I got on the new MoFi issue of it that sounds incredible. Next up: Pinkerton. Their first two albums are the only ones I really like.

5497Hld.jpg

A bunch of 45s!

Foo Fighters - For All The Cows: Can't go wrong with the Foos. Blue marbled vinyl.
Foo Fighters - Walking After You: One of my favorite songs from them. The single version is way better than the album version. The b-side to this is Ween's Beacon Light. Hey, X Files on vinyl? Nice.
Foo Fighters - My Hero: There goes my hero on red vinyl.
Foo Fighters - Big Me: Might be the best song on the first album. Has a sick picture of Richard Nixon bowling on the back. On white marbled vinyl.
Radiohead - Paranoid Android: Good stuff right here guys. This has Radiohead's best b-side, Polyethylene Pt. 1+2. On blue marbled vinyl.

I'm going to have to stop buying things before RSD...

Dwayne

Neil Young and Warner Bros. Records have announced that they must delay the release of Young's upcoming Neil Young Official Series 2 Vinyl Box Set, which was intended to come out on Record Store Day, due to several other projects that Young has in the works that he wishes to focus on. A November release date for the set, which includes the classic albums Time Fades Away, On The Beach, Tonight's The Night and Zuma, will be announced soon. Rest assured, it will be worth the wait!

There goes that, for now.

Neil Young and Warner Bros. Records have announced that they must delay the release of Young's upcoming Neil Young Official Series 2 Vinyl Box Set, which was intended to come out on Record Store Day, due to several other projects that Young has in the works that he wishes to focus on. A November release date for the set, which includes the classic albums Time Fades Away, On The Beach, Tonight's The Night and Zuma, will be announced soon. Rest assured, it will be worth the wait!

There goes that, for now.

Nothing Neil Young is doing with his music releases these days sound reasonable or make any sense whatsoever and don't get me wrong, I really like many of his records and of Crazy Horses

omgkitty

Does RSD in the UK have different stuff than in the US? Saw that the soundtrack for Amarcord was going to be on sale and got excited until I couldn't find it on any lists.

Edit: Never mind. Found it.

overcast

Where do I find the UPC code on my record? Can't seem to locate a bar code anywhere.

It's not a big deal, but I kind of want the download of my album for whatever reason

omgkitty

Like 5 or 6 things I want, but I really want to get my hands on that LCD Soundsystem release. Looks like I'll be doing RSD big this year.

Same here
obviously :p
So this will be my first RSD. What's the line situation normally like? Do I need to get there a few hours before? Do I need to get there the night before???

clip

Is there any logic in how records are distributed? There's a small record store near my house that participates in RSD and I want that LCD boxset bad.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Same here
So this will be my first RSD. What's the line situation normally like? Do I need to get there a few hours before? Do I need to get there the night before???
I usually get there a few hours before opening. Some will say camping out the night before is the right idea but I don't feel like shacking up with gutter punks on haight. If it's a usually big and busy shop get ready for lines.

Is there any logic in how records are distributed? There's a small record store near my house that participates in RSD and I want that LCD boxset bad.

If I remember correctly it's all about traffic to the stores so a big shop like Amoeba in SF will get healthy orders. Smaller shops will get smaller allocations.

omgkitty

I usually get there a few hours before opening. Some will say camping out the night before is the right idea but I don't feel like shacking up with gutter punks on haight. If it's a usually big and busy shop get ready for lines.

Shit, Grimeys is a very popular store here in Nashville. I'm sure the line will be brutal. I guess I'll stop by there some time before and ask what it's normally like.

Shiv47

The LCD set is going to be available after RSD, it's not an exclusive release, so if you want to wait, it'll be about a month until it's available normally. As for when to line up, it depends how badly you want something and how limited it is. The store I go to had people lining up probably 10-12 hours in advance.

FnordChan

Same here

This depends entirely on your local store, your local scene, the number of hipsters descending like vultures upon any given store, and so forth. I've had the best luck at my local shop showing up at least an hour early; last year I showed up more like a full hour and a half before opening with a friend to hang out with and I was able to grab everything I wanted from the selection they had available. On the flip side, there's another local store where I showed up a half hour late last year, by which time they'd been picked clean of anything I cared about.

If I understand correctly the stores order what they want to (or are allocated) from the RSD lists, so seeing what your local store currently stocks will give you an idea of what they're going to have on hand. Hell, you could just chat with the shop owner to see if they're planning on stocking specific items. That said, if I'm reading the US RSD list correctly, it looks like the LCD Soundsystem box will get a regular release later in the year, so you may not need to sweat RSD overly.

Looking over the US RSD list, I'm gunning for the Death Waltz soundtrack releases (particularly The Perfume of a Lady in Black, though I probably also need the 1990: The Bronx Warriors LP in my life) and the Medical Records releases (especially that Italo disco comp), and perhaps Rhino's reissue of Meltdown with the Ramones, depending on how pricy it is. Alas, while the ZZT 7" singles box looks pretty sweet, it's also $80 and I don't need it that badly, especially considering how much of a toll Death Waltz is likely to take on my wallet.

FnordChan

New Ai Aso album, 'Lone' on Editions MEGO.

iSunetnPw7wQt.jpg

I don't think it's supposed to be out until the end of the month, but my copy arrived today for some reason. I love her earlier work, especially her debut album (which is now stupidly rare/expensive, prohibiting more people from enjoying it, sadly).

clip

Amp advice

I need an amp.
I've got a record player thanks to pablito.
I've got 2 150 watt speakers.
I've got a few records.
Budget is $250, but flexible.

What do I buy?

Is that track messed up or does it just loop for like 9 mins? I usually really like Jaars stuff but that seemed pretty lazy!

Anyway cross post for electronic gaf but more relevant here

Just won these on ebay. £500 for the pair. Thats a nice chunk of change!!
$_58.JPG

8bit

Knows the Score
Is that track messed up or does it just loop for like 9 mins? I usually really like Jaars stuff but that seemed pretty lazy!

$_58.JPG

Nice! What's the Cowboy disc in your crate? Londres Strutt?

Danielsan

$_58.JPG
It runs for around 5 minutes. The track just automatically replays on the site.

Also congrats on the Technics! I wish I had cash to blow on a nice 1200 MK2.

$_58.JPG

Pretty awesome price if the tables haven't been dj'd to shit.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Good time to ask, I guess: if I have that entry-level Audio Technica with an upgraded stylus and a nice little preamp, am I still losing out on a lot if I don't have something like that nice Technics table there? I don't really get what causes differences in sound quality from table to table other than "more expensive = better sound".

Good time to ask, I guess: if I have that entry-level Audio Technica with an upgraded stylus and a nice little preamp, am I still losing out on a lot if I don't have something like that nice Technics table there? I don't really get what causes differences in sound quality from table to table other than "more expensive = better sound".

Mine are for mixing so I cant help you, especially as I was told that the more high end stuff for listening is belt driven, to stop "noise" and vibration on the record!

Quick photo, too late to play with them now :(
e5rmmDq.jpg

nitewulf

for entry level stuff, really the biggest difference would be the speakers. better table + tonearm combo would definitely sound better by reducing vibration, and a nice moving coil cartridge would also sound better.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
for entry level stuff, really the biggest difference would be the speakers. better table + tonearm combo would definitely sound better by reducing vibration, and a nice moving coil cartridge would also sound better.
I've got some sturdy Pioneer bookshelf speakers that sound really nice to me. I think I've hit my plateau of cost vs performance vs my own ability to hear, unless I want to go really crazy with more expensive equipment.

andylsun

Pretty awesome price if the tables haven't been dj'd to shit.

Might be worth inspecting the main bearing - replacements are only $30 in the USA, and it's pretty easy to switch them out. Will last a lifetime of non-dj use. Also make sure they've been oiled - only need a couple of drops of the technics oil.

Flynn

New Ai Aso album, 'Lone' on Editions MEGO.

iSunetnPw7wQt.jpg

I don't think it's supposed to be out until the end of the month, but my copy arrived today for some reason. I love her earlier work, especially her debut album (which is now stupidly rare/expensive, prohibiting more people from enjoying it, sadly).

Dig your slip mat. Once fucked around deejaying a house party with Swamp.

Ok this is confusing the hell out of me.
This is setup right, right?

White goes to Left monitor, Red goes to Right.
b06h4M0.jpg

When im playing a record on Left Deck (Channel 2) It only plays out of only the left speaker.
When I play on the Right Deck it only play out of the right speaker (channel 3)

Shouldnt it be outputting to both speaker at the same time?
That only happens if I put the volume up on both channels, which then makes no sense because you dont go to a club and hear one track on one speaker then run to the otherside of the room to hear the next on the other.
Like if I play right, mix into left the sound "travels" from one speaker to the next unless Im playing two tracks at the same volume, simultaneously.

Maybe im over looking something obvious.

Danielsan

Ooh shit, I need this guys!

3KCK15g.jpg

The Ghostbusters are joining Record Store Day. A limited edition vinyl pressing of the theme song is being release at the annual event. It’s the latest piece of awesome in the ongoing 30th anniversary of the classic comedy. Soon, there will be an official traveling art show, official Lego set and maybe even a new movie. Few will be as collectible, however, as this 10-inch, glow in the dark pressing of the Ray Parker Jr. theme song. It’s limited to 1,000 pieces and will be on sale April 19.

Arrived today... a re-issue of Geinoh Yamashirogumi's 'Ecophony Rinne' (1986). GY are best known for producing the soundtrack to Katsuhiro Otomo's 'AKIRA', which is also seeing a re-issue soon.

ecophony9tk0z.jpg

8bit

Knows the Score
Ooh shit, I need this guys!

Oh man, that's nice.

Ok this is confusing the hell out of me.

Did you get a manual or have you looked online for one? Why aren't you using CH 1?

edit

Hold on, the cables only carry one channel. So if white goes to left monitor and red to right monitor you're only going to hear one channel from each speaker or am I missing something else?

editagain :

slipmat!

Top Bottom