• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

Unfortunately, I didn't learn about the first volume until it had gone thoroughly out of print and off to the land of excessive Discogs prices, but I just pledged for Kosmischer Läufer Volume Two: The Secret Cosmic Music of the East German Olympic Program 1972-83.

a78594dd2f7f4ed225dfc42538d0abb5_large.jpg

I wrote to the organizers asking if there was any hope of a reprint of the first volume, but as expected they indicated that their hands were full with the current Kickstarter and any reprint is far in the future; however, the first volume is available digitally, so at least there's that. Meanwhile, I'm super stoked to be spinning the second volume in the not-too-distant future. For a sample, check out "Morgenröte" and "Zeit Zum Laufen 172".

FnordChan, 20 kilometer walk competitor for the GDR at Munich '72

Wow. This sounds (and looks) nice ! I might pledge too

Holy shit this is crazy:

It's explained better on Pitchfork, but I can't access it at work.

TL;DR - Unreleased Aphex Twin album is going to be sold digitally on Kickstarter.

Definitely need to keep tabs on this as well.

Danielsan

Well I pledged for the Kosmischer Läufer vinyl and digital download only tier. € 3,60 extra, just for some A6 cards that I will probably look at once, is not worth it to me.

Just a heads up that shop radio cast has an official repress(?) of de-loused in the comatorium by the Mars Volta up for preorder as well as a repress of frengers by mew
. Sorry for sketchy formatting, posting from phone; copy/pasted from email

The Mars Volta - De-loused In The Comatorium 2XLP LTD 1,500 Copies

We are so excited to announce that we have an exclusive variant of the official Mars Volta " De-loused In The Comatorium" vinyl pressing! This is being pressed in Europe by Music on Vinyl and our variant, 180 Gram Silver limited to 1,500, copies is the only US variant. This album is highly requested and we anticipate it will sell out very quickly! It is due out May 20th and can be pre ordered now here:

http://www.shopradiocast.com/products/The-Mars-Volta-%2d-De%2dloused-In-The-Comatorium-2XLP.html

Mew Frengers SELLING OUT FAST!

Yesterday we launched the pre orders for Mew "Frengers" due out June 3rd! The album has been selling really strong with the white variant sold out and less than 300 pink copies left! If you have not yet grabbed a copy you can do so here:

http://www.shopradiocast.com/products/Mew-%2d-Frengers-2XLP.html

joedick

Would you kind souls mind helping a noob?

What is the best strategy for Record Store Day albums? I can't imagine local shops getting all those vinyls, so how do you guarantee the few you want?

Cool thread, I suspect hanging out here will get very expensive...

amnesiac

Would you kind souls mind helping a noob?

What is the best strategy for Record Store Day albums? I can't imagine local shops getting all those vinyls, so how do you guarantee the few you want?

Cool thread, I suspect hanging out here will get very expensive...

If your local store is relatively popular, they will probably have Record Store Day. Just ask them and see what they are getting in. A month ago, you probably could've requested them to get in the ones you want.

Record Store Day is getting bigger each year, which means you probably want to show up really (5 hours or so) early before the store opens. Depends on what you're interested in and how much demand there is for it.

If you happen to miss out, you're pretty much stuck with crappy eBay/Discogs flippers who sell the record at 3x the price they paid for it. Some bands put leftovers on their websites, but I wouldn't count on that.

Unfortunately, I didn't learn about the first volume until it had gone thoroughly out of print and off to the land of excessive Discogs prices, but I just pledged for Kosmischer Läufer Volume Two: The Secret Cosmic Music of the East German Olympic Program 1972-83.

a78594dd2f7f4ed225dfc42538d0abb5_large.jpg

I wrote to the organizers asking if there was any hope of a reprint of the first volume, but as expected they indicated that their hands were full with the current Kickstarter and any reprint is far in the future; however, the first volume is available digitally, so at least there's that. Meanwhile, I'm super stoked to be spinning the second volume in the not-too-distant future. For a sample, check out "Morgenröte" and "Zeit Zum Laufen 172".

FnordChan, 20 kilometer walk competitor for the GDR at Munich '72

Can we please stop quoting huge posts in this thread lol

Makes viewing this thread on mobile very tough

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Just a heads up that shop radio cast has an official repress(?) of de-loused in the comatorium by the Mars Volta up for preorder as well as a repress of frengers by mew

We are so excited to announce that we have an exclusive variant of the official Mars Volta " De-loused In The Comatorium" vinyl pressing! This is being pressed in Europe by Music on Vinyl and our variant, 180 Gram Silver limited to 1,500, copies is the only US variant. This album is highly requested and we anticipate it will sell out very quickly! It is due out May 20th and can be pre ordered now here:

http://www.shopradiocast.com/products/The-Mars-Volta-%2d-De%2dloused-In-The-Comatorium-2XLP.html

Maaaaaan, it's tempting, but since it's a repress it's going to be just as noisy and dull as the initial pressing. If MSFL ever got their hands on Deloused and Frances if pay good money for proper remasters on 180g vinyl.

I don't need no silly color schemes.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Kinda glad there's almost never anything I want for RSD, heh.

IMG_1894_zps1f87d23e.jpg

Have probably exhausted the cool '80s Japanese vinyl supply in the immediate area for now. Boo.

Boris - Smile
Ryuichi Sakamoto - Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence
Wang Chung - To Live and Die In L.A.
Etta James - Tell Mama
David Bowie - Young Americans
Sonny Stitt/Zoot Sims - Inter-actions
YMO - Nice Age/Behind the Mask 12"

DiscoJon

Banned

Just ordered the silver, it was cheaper than the black.

Holy shit this is crazy:

TL;DR - Unreleased Aphex Twin album is going to be sold digitally on Kickstarter.

As a long-termer over at WATMM, I find it hilarious to see all this unfold beyond our little corner of the Internet. We went from a poll asking if people would pay x amount for a copy of the record a few days ago, to it being picked up by various international music press, a swarm of visitors to the site... crazy times.

The best news is that the Kickstarter will not now be limited to a set number of spots - everyone can participate.

Kinda glad there's almost never anything I want for RSD, heh.

Have probably exhausted the cool '80s Japanese vinyl supply in the immediate area for now. Boo.

Boris - Smile
Ryuichi Sakamoto - Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence
Etta James - Tell Mama
David Bowie - Young Americans
Sonny Stitt/Zoot Sims - Inter-actions
YMO - Nice Age/Behind the Mask 12"

Do you just buy up stuff with strange covers or do you actually know half the people your buying? I mean as im presuming you just go digging in charity shops and such and cant even listen to what you pick up till you get home!

Saying that it seems im the first person on discogs to buy this record hahahaaa
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO5wryDdEI0

Started buying some really random shit since getting into funk/disco/synthpop. Cosmic you need to help me out with recommendations! I bet your discogs collection is serrrious.

FnordChan

Man, I wish my immediate area had a supply of cool '80s Japanese vinyl.

Everyone else might not be Wang Chunging tonight, but you certainly will be! Great pick up, though what I'm really jealous of is the YMO 12". I love "Behind The Mask". Also, I can't remember how I felt about the soundtrack to Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence, but I'm in favor of owning more Ryuichi Sakamoto in general.

Started buying some really random shit since getting into funk/disco/synthpop. Cosmic you need to help me out with recommendations!

I'm not Cosmic, but I do love more some funk/disco/synthpop. If you're looking for new records to buy instead of just riffling through the used bins, check out Medical Records and their fine selection of obscure electronic synthpop reissues. Alternately, if you like your funk to be a bit more on the 80s side, then People's Potential Unlimited is going to be right up your alley.

FnordChan

Cheers! Ill check them out after work! New or old I'm game as i get all my stuff by searching for one, say pointer sisters-automatic on discogs, then going through the sellers inventory listening to cheap old bits!
Bought so many £1 records haha

FnordChan

Cheers! Ill check them out after work! New or old I'm game as i get all my stuff by searching for one, say pointer sisters-automatic on discogs, then going through the sellers inventory listening to cheap old bits!
Bought so many £1 records haha

Oh, man, "Automatic" is such a great song. I've got Break Out for the album version, but I still need to snag the 12" version at some point.

Meanwhile, if that's the sort of music you've been into lately, I'm thinking you need some more Hi-NRG and Italo disco in your life. I'm thinking songs like "Living on Video" by Trans-X, "Go Go Yellow Screen" by Digital Emotion, "I Wanna Take You Home" by Patrick Cowley, "Do Ya Wanna Funk" by Sylvester, "Last Summer" by Wish Key, and "Only Music Survives" by Alba.

Also, check into labels like Megatone Records, Rams Horn Records, and ZYX Records.

Hopefully some of that is helpful in your scouring of the virtual £1 bins!

FnordChan

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Do you just buy up stuff with strange covers or do you actually know half the people your buying? I mean as im presuming you just go digging in charity shops and such and cant even listen to what you pick up till you get home!

Started buying some really random shit since getting into funk/disco/synthpop. Cosmic you need to help me out with recommendations! I bet your discogs collection is serrrious.

Generally, I know what I'm buying; this time, the Sonny Stitt album is the only thing I wasn't familiar with and was able to look up some info on my phone -- my taste in jazz is pretty specific, so it was a nice coincidence that the artwork just happened to catch my eye! As an aside, it's surprising (and annoying) that Allmusic doesn't have a mobile version or an app by now, heh.

Besides some Donna Summer, I actually don't have any disco or funk on vinyl. 12"s are obviously pretty easy to find, but they're not very practical unless you're a DJ... Have quite a lot of compilations and whatnot in mp3, though!

My collection's just things that are important or significant to me, not sure if it'd be all that interesting to anyone else: http://www.discogs.com/user/cosmicbus/collection?page=1&folder=0&limit=250

Danielsan

Had some Amazon credit left over from my birthday. Perfect excuse for some extra vinyl.

KNBKdu4.jpg

The Cure - Disintegration (one of the best albums ever)
Burial - Kindred EP (might be the best thing Burial has ever done)

JD45qYD.jpg

The Tallest Man On Earth - The Wild Hunt
Nicolaas Jaar - Space Is Only Noise
The Antlers - Hospice

Still waiting for Sufjan Stevens - Illinoise to arrive (ordered it from an Amazon seller based in Italy).

The Aphex Twin kickstarter for Caustic Window went live a few hours ago, and has already exceeded it's goal of $9,300. It's now at $10,000 with 29 days to go.

Mind = blown
I think it's kind of bull shit that they didn't offer a vinyl tier for backers. The whole, we´ll sell the vinyl on Ebay thing doesn't sit well with me.

omgkitty

I think it's kind of bull shit that they didn't offer a vinyl tier for backers. The whole, we´ll sell the vinyl on Ebay thing doesn't sit well with me.

Yeah, not sure why the won't just print it up. I'm hoping that this Kickstarter makes a ton of money (which it already has) and maybe they can try and go ahead and make that happen. I will say I'm slightly confused as to what the deal is. Does the record company have the record that's being sold or what?

wenis

I believe they do. I'm still confused who gets the majority of this money and why there was a section saying some of the money will also be going back to the backers? How does that make any sense?

amnesiac

It's kind of silly how Rephlex/Richard James are just going "yeah, you can go sell a vinyl rip while we rake in the money" when they could've just sold a high quality version themselves. I don't expect the unreleased album (if that's really what it turns out to be) to be something extraordinary, but I guess the more Aphex Twin, the better. If only he could release those 6 albums he's completed.

This whole situation is a bit odd.

8bit

Knows the Score
I'm kind of baffled by the Caustic Window thing and as he's released some shitty music (SAW II is particularly yawnsome IMO) there's probably a good reason why it didn't see release.

Oh man, I really need to listen to Disintegration again. I went to see them on that tour and it was amazing.

wenis

Back on the Streets again is my jam. one of those songs that took me months to learn on drums.

Girabaldi is a god and those ghost notes are a bitch.

overcast

Oh shit, the Scott Pilgrim Game soundtrack is a record store day release? Goddamnit, I don't know if I'll be able to get it. Doubt the tiny local store gets it (even though the participate).

Oh shit, the Scott Pilgrim Game soundtrack is a record store day release? Goddamnit, I don't know if I'll be able to get it. Doubt the tiny local store gets it (even though the participate).

Well you can of course buy it from the main record store day retailer, The Ebay Records

Danielsan

omgkitty

Congrats man! Looking forward to you showing it off.

Also friendly reminder. Please check out, and maybe back, the Kosmischer Läufer Volume Two vinyl.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1666381126/kosmischer-laufer-volume-two-vinyl-album

Still 12 days to go and if they hit their stretch goal of £ 2.750 they will press every copy on 180G. They also have a second stretch goal in mind.

Yeah can't wait to play a few of my 50+ records that I've amassed these last 6 months....

cat-jack-in-a-box.gif

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Well you can of course buy it from the main record store day retailer, The Ebay Records

That just depressed me cause it's 100% true.

I have no shot at getting the 4 records I want.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Weird to find a second Boris LP in less than a week.

IMG_1904_zpsa3400ff6.jpg

Rock Dream on marbled orange for $10 b/c the box is kinda dinged up. The spine on this thing is as thick as a book.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
What ones do you want?

Banks - Banks: The Remixes 12"
Childish Gambino - Because The Internet
Paramore 12" Aint it Fun
Ghostbusters 10"

People are already selling the 3 besides Banks for way too much on ebay, that crap shouldn't even be allowed. Some already have the records in hand :\ Banks Remixes I have no clue how the hell I'm gonna find that. It's a really low number release like everything Harvest Records puts out.

Ive even started posting on vinylcollective.com to try to get help and not get ripped off on ebay since I'm in poor health and can't make trips to record stores.

8bit

Knows the Score
I think RSD is turning into a load of shite these days anyway, the labels that thrive on vinyl for the rest of the year are having their orders delayed in favour of grateful dead albums that will probably never be played anyway. And that's even before the ebay profiteering bullshit.

--

Anyway, I was at a flea market in Germany last week wondering if I could find anything interesting among the stalls. Great if you want hair rock, The Scorpions and James Last vinyl but nothing else.

FnordChan

Anyway, I was at a flea market in Germany last week wondering if I could find anything interesting among the stalls. Great if you want hair rock, The Scorpions and James Last vinyl but nothing else.

Hell yeah I want some James Last vinyl! Okay, that's exaggerating a bit. If I were record shopping in Germany I'd be buying Heino instead.

Okay, okay, I'd probably have to lug home a bunch of ZYX 12" singles, but no James Last and no Heino. Well...maybe a little Heino.

FnordChan, would-be secret schlager enthusiast. Alas, you can't hide the Heino.

Top Bottom