• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

FnordChan

I love that Biafra breaks out Heino about six and a half minutes in. I'd heard that they'd blast Heino before DK shows back in the day, with the punks all moshing to the schlager sound, so I'm pleased to see that he still has the man in his record collection. If anyone is curious, the Hawaiian-styled Heino tune he sings briefly is "Und sie hieß Lulalei".

FnordChan, who knows more about Heino than is strictly necessary

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
any suggestions on how I should take care of the excess vinyl from the pressing? or should I leave it be? it's not hurting anything, but jeez talk about a bum pressing job.

photokhj0x.jpg

8bit

Knows the Score
Here's an interesting article about RSD in the UK including some comments from Spencer Hickman who organises the UK version as well as running Death Waltz:

http://thequietus.com/articles/15031-record-store-day-2014-problems-distribution-vinyl

And, besides, regarding the majors' involvement in Record Store Day, Hickman takes a far more optimistic approach. "Among the first people to support Record Store Day were Warner Brothers and they have consistently produced some of the best and most interesting releases on the schedule – split coloured 7"s of Green Day and The Lemonheads covering The Misfits; things like that. Yes, some majors release rubbish, but others absolutely understand what it's about because they've got people working for them that still buy records. Their releases will get bought. Releases by majors who haven't thought it through will get left on the shelf, especially unnecessary reissues. That's where things can get watered down."

Also!

The return of Wax Trax!

http://cherryberry321.wordpress.com/2014/04/17/new-12-from-wax-trax-what/

8bit

Knows the Score
Wow that has to be the least interesting release that sums up Record Store Day perfectly I have ever heard of (and don't get me wrong, I do love Misfits and like the first Lemonheads record...)

At least some thought has gone into that though, even if it's not your thing. There's 8000 copies of the Grateful Dead Live & 5000 of a Katy Perry picture disc this year. They are going to haunt the shelves for years to come.

At least some thought has gone into that though, even if it's not your thing. There's 8000 copies of the Grateful Dead Live & 5000 of a Katy Perry picture disc this year. They are going to haunt the shelves for years to come.

More Katy Perry pic disc is the only kind of pic disc I would buy so I am okay with this <3_<3

omgkitty

You forgot that One Direction record.

FnordChan

It warms my heart to know that Wax Trax! is making a comeback and I'm in for the new 12" whenever it drops. Also, I didn't know about the Front Line Assembly/Skinny Puppy collaboration Cyberaktif until I saw that Wax Trax! was pimping a t-shirt with their logo, but I'm all for a) FLA, b) Skinny Puppy, and c) albums that name drop Dario Argento flicks, so that basically made my day.

Fnord Line Assembly

amnesiac

What are you guys getting on RSD?

My list:

Broken Bells - Holding On For Life 12"
Devo - Live At Kansas City LP
Devo/Flaming Lips - Gates Of Steel split 7"
July - S/T LP
Mark Mulcahy - Fathering LP
Oasis - Supersonic 12" (this is the main reason I'm going)
The Space Project - S/T LP (7" box if they don't have the 12")
Tame Impala - Live Versions LP

Going at 4 am, hope I get these.

omgkitty

LCD Soundsystem - The Long Goodbye
Chvrches - Recover EP
Joy Division - An Ideal for Living
The Velvet Underground - Loaded
BadBadNotGood - Can't Leave the Night \ Sustain
Nina Rota - Amarcord
Walter Rizzati - The Bronx Warriors
Clint Mansell - Hole in the Wall
Nico Fidenco - The Violation of Emanuelle
Nicola Piovani - The Perfume of the Lady in Black

Might have to hold back though after finding out the LCD box is $130. Might just get that and the Death Waltz releases.

number11

I narrowed it down to

All 4 Death Waltz releases
Chvrches 7"
Outkast - Southernplayalisticadilacmusik

And I'll probably impulse buy the following if I see them instore

Haim - Forever
Paramore - Ain't it Fun
Terminator 2 7"

And I'll try to find the following on ebay for a decent price

Paranorman
Banks - The Remixes

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Might have to hold back though after finding out the LCD box is $130. Might just get that and the Death Waltz releases.

wuhhhhhhhh.... ok, as much as I wanted it, I can't justify the price, not now at least.

Danielsan

Went to see Kalle Mattson live yesterday. I had won free tickets as well as his CD. Great performance, good stage presence and humor. Really sad to see the turnout be so crappy. Dude was super excited to kick off his European tour in Amsterdam, only to start off with about an audience of 6 or 8. Luckily more people turned up mid-performance. Felt I should at least support them so I got their vinyl.

EoovCJE.jpg

3cFdGoq.jpg

Check out their music here

P.s. I can't stand that the best album of the year, Sun Kil Moon - Benji, is not on vinyl. :(

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
P.s. I can't stand that the best album of the year, Sun Kil Moon - Benji, is not on vinyl. :(

It will be, just down the road sometime. Caldo Verde puts out all of Kozelek's stuff on vinyl, but almost always running 6-12 months after the digital and CD versions.

omgkitty

Went to see Kalle Mattson live yesterday. I had won free tickets as well as his CD. Great performance, good stage presence and humor. Really sad to see the turnout be so crappy. Dude was super excited to kick off his European tour in Amsterdam, only to start off with about an audience of 6 or 8. Luckily more people turned up mid-performance. Felt I should at least support them so I got their vinyl.

EoovCJE.jpg

Never heard of him, but sweet art work. Had an experience like that when I went to see Dom back before they broke up and he went solo. There were like 10 of us there for the entire set. After the show he asked us for our emails and sent us free download codes for his new EP and gave us a free Busch beer that wasn't cold haha. Too bad he went solo. They were making some decent music and even had some hype from Pitchfork. He ended up putting out some weird electronic solo album with no singing from him and it wasn't very good.

omgkitty

Just putting this out there, but would someone here who's going tomorrow to a smaller, lesser known store (or are just crazy and show up early) be able to help me out with the Death Waltz releases? I'm kind of worried about my chances as the store I'm going to is very popular and there's already a dude waiting outside :\ I'm at the point now where I'm not even sure if I'm going to risk it as I hear there's usually at least a few hundred people by the time the doors open at 10am. I'm only looking for the 4 Death Waltz soundtracks that are coming out, and considering it's kind of a niche market, hoping someone could help me out.

Shiv47

Just putting this out there, but would someone here who's going tomorrow to a smaller, lesser known store (or are just crazy and show up early) be able to help me out with the Death Waltz releases? I'm kind of worried about my chances as the store I'm going to is very popular and there's already a dude waiting outside : I'm at the point now where I'm not even sure if I'm going to risk it as I hear there's usually at least a few hundred people by the time the doors open at 10am. I'm only looking for the 4 Death Waltz soundtracks that are coming out, and considering it's kind of a niche market, hoping someone could help me out.

Not sure what specific hour or how many they'll have, but Light in the Attic will be selling copies on their online store starting tomorrow.

toxk_02

Black Republican
I'll be at Light in the Attic tomorrow (open 9am PT), I'll keep an eye out for the Death Waltz releases for those interested.

On my side if anyone happens to spot the School of Seven Bells release I will gladly pay you to pick it up. I already know my local shop won't have any copies (RSD website says there are only 300 so pushing my luck anyway).

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
I'm never gonna find Banks - The Remixes RSD without being completely ripped the f-ck off.

Only 350 copies, it's listed on some sites that their shops will sell it instore tomorrow anywhere from $10-15 ... then which I'm sure will go for insane prices on Ebay for those lucky enough to find a copy and don't care about the music itself.

Harvest records blows. Bad enough they hardly made any copies of her London EP vinyl.

Dwayne

Well i'm back from a long day record shopping, picked up the Nirvana 7", Gil-Scott Heron, and in the late afternoon I saw a REM Unplugged sitting lonely by itself in a bin.. who could resist?

Besides that, picked up some Alan Vega, T-Rex, and then Connan Mockasin and Metronomy for my wife. Didn't see the Zombies releases anywhere :(

toxk_02

Black Republican
The haul. Light in the Attic was great; orderly line and 25% off everything else in the store. omgkitty and DiscoJon, expect some pms on Death Waltz and Death Cab.

uVFoGXLl.jpg

O81jXiWl.jpg

CdUu4G4l.jpg

Scalibur

Struck out on the Cake Box set, but got the Death Waltz offerings. I would be willing to trade the DW discs straight up for a Cake box set.

nitewulf

oh god...the REM on ebay is upto $400...these people make me sick. i've never bought a record that i did not wanna listen to. i will never get this collectible sensibility of buying something and not using it.

Sippin

RECORD STORE DAY 2014

COLLEGE - NORTHERN COUNCIL

SUPERUNKNOWN: THE SINGLES – FIVE 10-INCH VINYL SET

ARCADE FIRE

THE PIXIES INDIE CINDY

ILLUM SPHERE

amnesiac

Not that I know of. Discogs search is the worst, you're better off searching google with "site:discogs.com" on the end.

It's surprisingly difficult to find popular releases through the Discogs search. The first 5 or so results are always promos/unofficial releases that no one has. They need to put the popular ones first or something.

Discogs is quite easy to use once you get the hang of it, just make sure it's spelled EXACTLY the same. Once you search that there are so many categories it's near impossible to miss it

All my RSD purchases were up on discogs by that afternoon

FnordChan

COLLEGE - NORTHERN COUNCIL

Very nice! Apparently this one was limited to 300 copies, so well done on securing a copy.

Meanwhile, I posted my own list of shame over in the Record Store Day thread, but the short version: both of the Medical Records Italo disco releases, Strut's early 80s Romanian science fiction soundtrack release, and three of the four Death Waltz OST releases, basically everything Italian, though I may break down and complete the set this week with their Clint Mansell reissue. Whee!

FnordChan

Quasar

Heres a question I have as a non vinyl buyer (I own some but no longer have a turntable). Its about new albums being put out on vinyl.

Are they remixed for vinyl? or do they just dump the mixed for digital version onto them?

omgkitty

Finally got my turn table in and set up yesterday!

13934199072_3ec846a5ac_c.jpg

Already I have a noob question. Is considered okay to just turn the record player off while it's playing and leaving the needle down to save your place? Sometimes I have to leave the room or take a call or something, and I've just turned it off and left the needle down. Is this okay?

Can anyone recommend a decently priced set of speakers, something around 50 - 100, that's probably too low for really good ones but it's all I can throw at it right now

Just got into the world of vinyl listening

Danielsan

Already I have a noob question. Is considered okay to just turn the record player off while it's playing and leaving the needle down to save your place? Sometimes I have to leave the room or take a call or something, and I've just turned it off and left the needle down. Is this okay?
Looking good! In my experience it's best to let the record play out. Simply turn off the volume and let the arm auto-reset itself after the records is played through. Similarly I've heard that it's best to not start the record by placing the Needle on one of the further tracks. Always start at the outside rim, just before the first song.

I'm sure someone will correct me though.

Dwayne

I'd never do that personally, but I don't have a particular reason why. Blows me away they don't have a cue arm on those.

Top Bottom