• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

jbaSSZ7McMpIr0.JPG

This came in the mail the other day. Her voice is so smooth.

Sean P.

So glad I just stumbled onto this thread! Been looking for a place to keep up with limited vinyl releases I actually would care about.

Going back through it though made me really sad I missed the second set of tron records that were for sale. I'm definitely just starting a collection, but I'll post some pictures after work.

Shiv47

I passed on Death Waltz's Godzilla release, but I saw that King Records in Japan is re-issuing Godzilla soundtracks on LP in what is supposed to be a series for Godzilla's 60th and Akira Ifukube's 100th birthdays. King apparently went back to the original tapes for both releases. With the yen being weak at the moment (as well my resolve), I sprang for the first two:

Sobriquet

Christmas haul:

5KLQfOv.jpg

Daft Punk Alive 1997 + Alive 2007 (box set)

And three of my favorite albums of all time:

Modest Mouse - The Moon and Antarctica
Built to Spill - Keep it Like a Secret
Jawbreaker - 24 Hour Revenge Therapy

omgkitty

What I don't get about the LCD box is that I remember them specifically saying it would be for sale on RSD and then would be released wide after the fact. This turned out to not be true at all, and DFA put a bunch of left overs on their site after RSD and that was it. I'm really glad I bought one then, because I decided not to do RSD and LCD is definitely a band I would probably spend several hundreds of dollars on a set of live records. Still, they're not really expensive yet and you can still find one around original price on eBay.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Maybe the demand for a $120 boxset wasn't as great as they thought and could scoot on by with the original RSD batch.

omgkitty

Maybe the demand for a $120 boxset wasn't as great as they thought and could scoot on by with the original RSD batch.

Possibly, but honestly I wouldn't be surprised to see DFA re-release it again at some point if enough people want it or maybe "find some" and put it on their site.

wenis

why not double check the serial codes with discogs and see which are RSD releases and which were released after. i nominate blame space for the task!

Steamlord

I'm glad I'm not a huge LCD fan. I did, however, nab that Spiderland box set pretty quickly. Not quickly enough to get a signed copy, but that doesn't really matter to me. I wouldn't usually spend that much, but...I mean, it's Spiderland. I didn't have a choice.

omgkitty

I'm glad I'm not a huge LCD fan. I did, however, nab that Spiderland box set pretty quickly. Not quickly enough to get a signed copy, but that doesn't really matter to me. I wouldn't usually spend that much, but...I mean, it's Spiderland. I didn't have a choice.

You are wrong sir!

Steamlord

Not because I actively dislike Murphy or his music or his fans, I'm just glad I don't feel obligated to shell out a ton of money on a box set that I would want if I were a fan.

Wreav

Banned
The in-laws demanded I give them an item to buy me for my birthday. After wracking my head for a week and coming up with very little, I settled on the AT-LP60. Did I do a stupid thing?

wenis

The in-laws demanded I give them an item to buy me for my birthday. After wracking my head for a week and coming up with very little, I settled on the AT-LP60. Did I do a stupid thing?

nah, its a great starter table. you did good. you did good.

I know that LCD Soundsystem is a popular band, but still 6000 copies of a 5 LP live box set does sound like there's plenty to go around.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I just want DFA to re-issue that first Hercules and Love Affair record.

YES. I was so disappointed after their show a few months back to find that the merch table was devoid of the s/t. Even Andy said they wanted it repressed but DFA hasn't done shit.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
IMG_2402_zps5273d2fd.jpg

Lindsey Buckingham - Law & Order
Hercules & Love Affair - Feast of the Broken Heart
Ann Lewis collection
Taeko Ohnuki - Romantique
Tatsuro Yamashita - Ride On Time

Love that the obi on the Yamashita album is actually a full sleeve instead of just a paper strip.

IMG_2407_zps7b5ac6d8.jpg

Vitanimus

so I just skimmed over the last few pages and caught the posts above about getting the pro-ject carbon over the pro-ject essential ii. however the price is a bit of a turn off. i'm getting a sizeable bursary of £1000 next month and my 21st is in a couple of months so i guess i wanna treat myself to whole setup.

does anyone have any good/recommended/warranted "packages"? pro-ject seems like a brand that's highly recommended.

amnesiac

Some of my better pickups from the past few months...

The Beach Boys - Friends: Original Capitol stereo pressing. One of my favorite Beach Boys albums. Their records post-Pet Sounds and pre-Surf's Up are kind of hard to find probably because they didn't sell too well. I think they were reissued recently though.

The Beach Boys - Wild Honey: Original Capitol mono pressing. Here's a little hint regarding Beach Boys stereo/mono: Every one of their albums until Friends is better in mono (Pet Sounds is debatable). Most of the time (if not all) the stereo versions are fake. Wild Honey is a good album, it's The Beach Boys with lots of R&B influence.

Echo and the Bunnymen - Ocean Rain: Great stuff... This original pressing came with a press kit inside, so that's cool.

Brian Eno - Ambient 4: On Land: Completed my Ambient 1-4 collection with this one. It's darker compared to the other ones...

Brian Eno - Music For Films: Another great ambient album from Eno... This time imaginary songs for films.

Harold Budd/Brian Eno - The Pearl: I think this may be my favorite ambient album that is Eno-related (tied with Apollo). Such a great, moody album.

Kraftwerk - Computer World: Original US pressing. Computer themed electronic music from Kraftwerk! I think this is my favorite one from them. Wish it was in better shape, though it was only $3.

Kraftwerk - The Man Machine: Original US pressing. I think this is their most popular release. Love the artwork.

Galaxie 500 - On Fire: Recent reissue. Love this album. At first, Dean's voice turned me off, but it's grown on me greatly.

Peter Gabriel - Us: Original UK pressing. Being a 90s album, this one is pretty hard to find on vinyl. You can find it for $30-$40. This is a really underrated album. It's darker and more experimental compared to his previous album, So. If you haven't heard them already, check out the songs Come Talk To Me and Digging In The Dirt. This sounds fantastic on vinyl.

Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures: 2nd UK pressing with textured cover. There's nothing to be said about this album that hasn't already been said.

Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart: Original UK 12" single. Great song.

Miracle Legion - Glad: This is Mark Mulcahy's band from the 80s/90s. You may have heard them from The Adventures of Pete and Pete. Polaris (who did the theme song with numerous other tracks) consisted of members from Miracle Legion.

Oasis - Whatever: Original UK 12". This is a fantastic single. The b-sides are two of my favorite Oasis songs, It's Good To Be Free and Slide Away.

Ride - Nowhere: Recent reissue. One of the more popular shoegaze albums out there. When I heard they were reuniting I picked this up; love it.

Talking Heads - Remain In Light: Original pressing. It took me forever to find this album in a record store. It's not a rare or expensive album at all but the minute it gets put on the shelves it gets sold, so I was excited when I finally saw it.

[/QUOTE]
Amazon had this William Onyeabor vol. 2 box set for $16 as a price error, so I decided to buy it. I just received it so I haven't listened to it yet, but from the stuff I have heard from him, looks like I'll enjoy it.

Last edited:

Flynn

Amazon had this William Onyeabor vol. 2 box set for $16 as a price error, so I decided to buy it. I just received it so I haven't listened to it yet, but from the stuff I have heard from him, looks like I'll enjoy it.

I wish somebody smart wrote a program that found vinyl pricing errors. I have gotten some sweet deals.

Myriadis

imag0361ndea4.jpg

Jethro Tull - Thick as a brick

I don't know how rare it is but they are freaking expensive at amazon. Not really a collector with only about 100 vinyls but it's wonderful to have my favorite album on vinyl.

Top Bottom