• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

Vitanimus

I'll just repost cos top of page

so I just skimmed over the last few pages and caught the posts above about getting the pro-ject carbon over the pro-ject essential ii. however the price is a bit of a turn off. i'm getting a sizeable bursary of £1000 next month and my 21st is in a couple of months so i guess i wanna treat myself to whole setup.

does anyone have any good/recommended/warranted "packages"? pro-ject seems like a brand that's highly recommended.

Does anyone know of where I can get a decent copy of "Visions of the Emerald Beyond" by the Mahavishnu Orchestra?

I don't think it was repressed anywhere. I'd love a 180g copy.

Another TOP WANT bites the dust

aAFuaHO.jpg

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
To be fair I'm new to this thread and recently came across that and had the same reaction.

;_;

What site or tools do you guys use to stay on top of re-releases/reissues/represses? I have lots of old bands I really like that their shit is all outta print and sometimes they reprint it and by the time I hear about it it's out of print again...

;_;

What site or tools do you guys use to stay on top of re-releases/reissues/represses? I have lots of old bands I really like that their shit is all outta print and sometimes they reprint it and by the time I hear about it it's out of print again...

I post on forums relevant to my music interests, subscribe to the newsletters of my goto labels and shops and read zines.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Arrived from a dealer in Japan yesterday. Separate records for each of the members compositions, and a fourth for the more collaborated efforts. Everything is in fantastic condition considering the box has been sitting around for more than 30 years now:

tumblr_niyggzRgNk1qjbrwqo3_1280.jpg
tumblr_niyggzRgNk1qjbrwqo5_1280.jpg

tumblr_niyggzRgNk1qjbrwqo4_1280.jpg
tumblr_niyggzRgNk1qjbrwqo8_1280.jpg

Durask

yowch! that price tag, but maybe I'll get lucky with tax refunds this year. thanks for the suggestion!

If you want cheaper, check out the Yamaha stereo receivers at Crutchfield.
I've never listened to their phono stage, but Crutchfield has a good return policy.

andylsun

Time for a treat for my turntables

Something Japanese, handmade and mighty fine for my Thorens (and the most I've ever spent on a stylus)

Something NOS (New Old Stock) old school banging/house/trance track-anything to go with my Groovemaster-II in my SL-1200MK2.

And something to clean them with! Will be letting rip tonight.

yKXHEQQl.jpg

LyL6O9Nl.jpg

Edit: JICO SAS stylus on a thorens was so worth it. Can't believe how good it's sounding

Yum, champagne supernova in my HEAD.

For anyone that's a fan, Bjork is reissuing here back catalog in colored vinyl. Each vinyl will be the color of the main theme of the album for 5000 copies each and then it'll revert back to black after those are sold. They are to be released in March and they are up for presale on One Little Indian. Get on that Vespertine guys! It's difficult to find and pretty pricey.

For anyone that's a fan, Bjork is reissuing here back catalog in colored vinyl. Each vinyl will be the color of the main theme of the album for 5000 copies each and then it'll revert back to black after those are sold. They are to be released in March and they are up for presale on One Little Indian. Get on that Vespertine guys! It's difficult to find and pretty pricey.

Thanks for the heads up! I think I'm only missing Debut on vinyl. Will get the reissue for sure.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Good call man. I'm just really getting into Bjork and vespertine is one I enjoyed the most after the initial listens. Maybe I'll jump on that one then. Although post may have been cool to get as well.

Just pulled the trigger on it. Probably shouldn't have spent the money, but it'll be worth it in the end.

Jason

$285 CAD shipped for all 6 plus Vulnicura...decisions, decisions lol.

wenis

Oh god I want post. Gunna keep an eye out on discord now... I mean out of 5000, resale won't be CRAZY. It'll be reasonable enough that the market will be flush.

That and a good amount Will be on US soil and shipping will be less. Kick me ok that 8 pounds shipping. Might take a bit longer but oh well.

Steamlord

I ordered Post, Homogenic, and Vespertine. I'm not a big enough fan of the rest of her discography to justify buying everything, at least not at the moment. Especially considering I'm much more interested in the Broadcast reissues.

Edit: Ugghh, I binged and ordered those three Björk albums, the entire Broadcast reissue bundle, Mount Eerie's Sauna, and Noveller's Fantastic Planet. Why do I do this to myself?

Atrophis

I really didnt need to see those Bjork reissues, got my eye on enough stuff for the next month already. Who am I kidding, I'm so going to order Debut and Post.

I ordered Post, Homogenic, and Vespertine. I'm not a big enough fan of the rest of her discography to justify buying everything, at least not at the moment. Especially considering I'm much more interested in the Broadcast reissues.

Edit: Ugghh, I binged and ordered those three Björk albums, the entire Broadcast reissue bundle, Mount Eerie's Sauna, and Noveller's Fantastic Planet. Why do I do this to myself?

That's the holy trinity right there, in my opinion. But that is a great set of albums you purchased, look at it as a nice treat for yourself for something good you may have done. At least try and justify the hefty purchases like that to soften the blow!

Vitanimus

I'm so mad with bjork

I ordered post, homogenic and medulla literally the day before she announced these cute reissues and I've opened them and everything... but not played

at least Vespertine got reissued ;_;

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I'm so mad with bjork

I ordered post, homogenic and medulla literally the day before she announced these cute reissues and I've opened them and everything... but not played

at least Vespertine got reissued ;_;

OG copies > reissues, though (if you ever feel like selling them, at least). I wouldnt mind having an original Post, but feel pretty meh about ordering the repress.

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
So I bought Californication on vinyl new from Amazon and it skips like a motherfucker with the Pro-ject Elemental I've been using. Anything that can be done save for returning it? The record looks slightly warped. I hear this can be the case with newer presses?

I was going to order some of those Bjork colored vinyls but then I realized, I have original copies of Vespertine and Homogenic, plus a pink copy of Post. Wasn't worth the extra coin.

wenis

So I bought Californication on vinyl new from Amazon and it skips like a motherfucker with the Pro-ject Elemental I've been using. Anything that can be done save for returning it? The record looks slightly warped. I hear this can be the case with newer presses?
You could try to treat the problem yourself or just contact Amazon and they'll replace it. You might not even have to return the one you have.

tanuki

Blagh, I've given Bjork so much money over the years, but coloured vinyl of Post, Homogenic and Vespertine? Can't resist.

BenN

Think I'll just go the return route but, out of interest, what would the method be for treating it myself?

Get one of these:

http://www.vinylflat.com/

Quite the intitial investment but I can confirm they work very very well. I used to get annoyed with warped vinyls before getting one of these. Now they are not a problem anymore.
Though definitely get the groovy pouch too...far better (safer!) than the oven method.

He keeps updating the design to be safer/better too...I got mine a few years back and its works great...new 2014 version will be even better?

andylsun

Two record pickups this week (as well as new stylus

Computer Controlled Accoustic Instruments pt2 - aphex twin

And

The first LCD soundsystem album.

okZQ0Ddl.jpg

Haven't listened to Aphex Twin but enjoyed my first listen of LCD soundsystem.

Welp, I ordered Post, Homogenic and Vespertine. Considering I've been on an intense Björk kick, I couldn't resist. A huge thank you for the heads up, I would have been so upset to miss out on these.

Now I gotta figure out which of the Broadcast reissues I want...

I'm stoked to be getting reissues of so many beloved albums on vinyl, but my credit card bill is gonna be depressing.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Today is great! My BEHRINGER MICROPHONO PP400 delivered today and I was able to hook it up to my speakers and wow...my Stanton T62 finally plays without a hum!!! On top of no hum, I can crank the speakers really loud now and get crystal clear sound from my turntable!!!

This turntable was a Christmas table for my Wife and she is in awe with how amazing the sound is now.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H2BC4E/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Today is great! My BEHRINGER MICROPHONO PP400 delivered today and I was able to hook it up to my speakers and wow...my Stanton T62 finally plays without a hum!!! On top of no hum, I can crank the speakers really loud now and get crystal clear sound from my turntable!!!

Glad you got the issue fixed! So you must have just hooked the turntable up to a line source. I can imagine how underwhelming that must have sounded if you didn't know it wasn't supposed to sound like that.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Glad you got the issue fixed! So you must have just hooked the turntable up to a line source. I can imagine how underwhelming that must have sounded if you didn't know it wasn't supposed to sound like that.

Yeah, I had RCA from the turntable to the sound bar directly...there was always a loud humming noise and the volume wasn't very loud at max volume.

Even the guitar center locally was telling me it's probably the sound bar causing the issue....

Took me weeks to find out on the web that the Stanton t62 does not have a built-in phono preamp...so I got one on amazon for $25...and now ZERO hum and I can crank the hell out of the turntable...very loud.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
last purchases for a while thanks to paying taxes and some pet-related expenses :(

IMG_2454_zps405fd74d.jpg

left is Geinoh Yamashirogumi - Shonentachi Eno Chikyu Sanka (something like 'Earth Hymn' or 'In Praise of Earth')
right is a new wave/funk comp of Japanese bands doing Tom Waits, Stones, Zombies, and Deep Purple covers among other things

Top Bottom