• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

BenN

The price on vespertine and subsequent albums went up recently from 14.99 GBP to 19.99 GBP...wonder if they set the wrong price initially. Annoying as I was ready to buy vespertine at the initial price and kept backing out.

Tedesco!

Looks like I got an early birthday present:

EVWN2kb.jpg

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
The price on vespertine and subsequent albums went up recently from 14.99 GBP to 19.99 GBP...wonder if they set the wrong price initially. Annoying as I was ready to buy vespertine at the initial price and kept backing out.

oh weird. guess I lucked out jumping on it as soon as I did.

Can't justify that, honestly. Oh well. It'll come back in standard sooner or later.

they did say as soon as these initial 5000 run out they'll repress on black.

overcast

they did say as soon as these initial 5000 run out they'll repress on black.
Ah okay. I'll be pretty heated if it's the same price. I adore that album, but 45 is definitely too rich for my blood. If I can get a regular press for 20-25 or so I'll be a happy man.

I've been thinking about getting a new turntable for my living room. Since it will be out in the open with a much higher chance of other people using it compared to the one currently in my room I'm going for an automatic turntable. I don't have a lot of experience with automatic tables so I was seeing if you guys had any suggestions. I've done a light bit of research and right now I'm looking at the Denon 300F.

Anyone have any experience with this one or hear any good/bad things about it?

andylsun

I love my Debut Carbon to bits, but something funky (not the good kind) is definitely going on.

The left channel seems to lose its punch intermittently and it's driving me nuts.

I'm 99% sure it's not my speakers since they are fine with everything else.

Start with the cartridge headshell connections, gently reseat them. Perhaps you are loosing ground intermittently. Then the interconnects.

Sweet thread, glad I found one on GAF. So I'm just getting into the hobby and Ill get a TT soon. What really want more than anything is Stadium Arcadium by the RHCP but its so expensive and I don't understand why? One of my all time favorite albums ever but $500 thats just crazy...Any Ideas?

big ander

Sweet thread, glad I found one on GAF. So I'm just getting into the hobby and Ill get a TT soon. What really want more than anything is Stadium Arcadium by the RHCP but its so expensive and I don't understand why? One of my all time favorite albums ever but $500 thats just crazy...Any Ideas?

From a quick search on discogs it looks like the reasons are that its only vinyl release is a limited 4xLP box set and that RHCP fans are willing to overpay that much for a limited release. Cheapest I see is $222 which is ludicrous. Honestly you're shit out of luck, just hope for a standard pressing sometime down the line (which would probably still be overpriced but to like, $60 or $80).

Flynn

From a quick search on discogs it looks like the reasons are that its only vinyl release is a limited 4xLP box set and that RHCP fans are willing to overpay that much for a limited release. Cheapest I see is $222 which is ludicrous. Honestly you're shit out of luck, just hope for a standard pressing sometime down the line (which would probably still be overpriced but to like, $60 or $80).

Seems like that record is right in the sweet spot of being just prior to the vinyl boom (2006) and being the EXACT kind of record that people who were buying vinyl back then wouldn't buy.

andylsun

Seems like that record is right in the sweet spot of being just prior to the vinyl boom (2006) and being the EXACT kind of record that people who were buying vinyl back then wouldn't buy.

I've heard a vinyl rip and it's amazing and so much better mastered than the CD. Less compression and sounds wonderful.

Unlike Temples - sun structures where the CD was a compressed mess and somehow so was the vinyl.

Maybe I'll get lucky one day but I will definatly wait...$222 is way to much.

I've heard a vinyl rip and it's amazing and so much better mastered than the CD. Less compression and sounds wonderful.

Unlike Temples - sun structures where the CD was a compressed mess and somehow so was the vinyl.

Thanks for the input. I cant wait to eventually get a hold of the LP.

One thing I've noticed but cant figure out is, do most collectors buy for the music or rarity/value and not the content? I only want to buy LP's that I want to listen to. Music is king at least to me.

One thing I've noticed but cant figure out is, do most collectors buy for the music or rarity/value and not the content? I only want to buy LP's that I want to listen to. Music is king at least to me.

Yes and no. I buy records almost daily. Most of which because I want to listen to them. Sometimes I buy some just for the sake of collecting, either because I want to gather all the records by the said band/person/label, or just simply because the said record is either rare (and decently priced) or just because I know someone I could pass the record to (at the price I paid for it, of course). Sometimes I buy doubles because I know I can trade them for something else. Sometimes I buy doubles just because I want to give the record to someone who might like it. Etc. etc.

Yes and no. I buy records almost daily. Most of which because I want to listen to them. Sometimes I buy some just for the sake of collecting, either because I want to gather all the records by the said band/person/label, or just simply because the said record is either rare (and decently priced) or just because I know someone I could pass the record to (at the price I paid for it, of course). Sometimes I buy doubles because I know I can trade them for something else. Sometimes I buy doubles just because I want to give the record to someone who might like it. Etc. etc.

Thats cool, that was just something that I picked up on in the last few days where I would see albums of really obscure bands and think "who the hell is this? cool cover tho"

I buy music I like. If it's prohibitively expensive I pray for reissues. The instant something I want gets reissued I try to jump on it, because even those re-releases seem to get expensive.

I don't like that.

Flynn

At $2 and under I will buy out of curiosity or even if I think the cover looks cool. The spendy stuff is only stuff I love, not really into flipping records. Don't have the time for that mess.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
At $2 and under I will buy out of curiosity or even if I think the cover looks cool. The spendy stuff is only stuff I love, not really into flipping records. Don't have the time for that mess.

I used to buy CDs based on the covers, still do it with records from time to time and to certainly much, much cheaper doing so with vinyl, hah.

Not much of a flipper either, although I did intentionally do it once when I knew it was going to net me a couple hundo...

andylsun

Sounds about the same for me. I don't spend more than $5 on used records, and a good cover or bizarre title may make the sale.

I do buy new, but not that many (Syro, Random Access Memories and Tron Legacy were the last 3). I avoid reissues and would rather pick up a older copy that's a little beat up than a $30 reissue of dubious quality.

I buy to listen, not to sell on or make a profit.

So I went to a couple shops to browse the bargain bin. It is hard work. I'm looking for some Greaftful Dead or anything cool and then I see Rick Astley...what a way to get rick rolled ha.

Flynn

I used to be less selective about re-issues. Now I try to go original, unless the price is prohibitive. There's lots of stuff coming out lately (Death (FL), Melvins, Nick Cave) where the only available pressings are insanely expensive. I try to stick to those reissues and avoid the stuff that you can get for under ten with a little work.

qCewBAk.jpg

Got these via Discogs today.

So I went to a couple shops to browse the bargain bin. It is hard work. I'm looking for some Greaftful Dead or anything cool and then I see Rick Astley...what a way to get rick rolled ha.

Digging is the best way to spend an afternoon.

Destroys your back though. Spent enough time on my hand and knees trawling through piles of records in charity shops haha.

Paid off once in a proper place when I found a record Ive been after for ages for £1 with a discogs value of £60. Never thought id have a copy cos of the absurd price.

andylsun

That's the problem with the bargin bins. All the good stuff has already been picked through. There are stores here who put new selection of used records out on Saturday and people queue at the door to get first dibs. They use their phones to check ebay and discogs prices. By the time I get there on Monday all the valuable stuff had gone. Still find some stuff that is important to me to have on vinyl, but anything über rare is long gone.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
That's the problem with the bargin bins. All the good stuff has already been picked through. There are stores here who put new selection of used records out on Saturday and people queue at the door to get first dibs. They use their phones to check ebay and discogs prices. By the time I get there on Monday all the valuable stuff had gone. Still find some stuff that is important to me to have on vinyl, but anything über rare is long gone.

I'd imagine this just varies from city to city. Seattle has a big vinyl scene, but there are always great things to be found in the bins whenever you stop in - sometimes it's just arrived, other times it's been sitting there for months. Even when there are albums I'm not interested in, I'm repeatedly struck by thoughts of "wow, someone traded this in?!" or "I've never seen this anywhere before." Helps that my main focus is '70s and '80s Japanese artists, which no one else around here seems interested in (and my favorite shops are close to the international district, heh) so I've always got plenty to choose from.

You're less likely to find amazing deals nowadays because sellers all source their prices from Discogs, but the numerous Goodwills and flea markets are a different story; no one there knows the value of things, and are generally just hoping to unload some perceived junk.

Did anyone receive their Bjork vinyl orders today? I just came home and i had Vespertine waiting for me! What a nice surprise, I thought they were sending them out in March. Not complaints though!

wenis

I'll need to keep my eyes peeled for those Bjork records. Had no idea they'd be shipping so soon.

wenis

Just got back from the post office picking up my copy of Post. Pics soon, not a fan of the packaging material but the record itself seems unscathed. Will report back.

Can't wait to see how the other colors look. My Vespertine is white with a bit of a marbled finish but I'm sure Post's pink looks really sweet!

andylsun

Im liking Selected Ambient Works on vinyl. Very nice indeed.

There's very minimal packaging. Not much information on the back, no copyright date or any publisher address. I'm assuming it's a reissue (bought from Amazon.com new) but expected at least some info.

Edit: according to the deadwax it's the 2006 reissue/remaster. Sounds great

Double Edit: Nope. 2013 UK release. Not 2006.

VRTSfM9l.jpg

andylsun

Used pick ups this week.

All 3 Jarre releases are French imports. I had Concerts in China many years ago but gave it to a friend. First copy I've seen since.

The 12" of Don't let me be misunderstood is going to get some playing. Loved that track in the Kill Bill soundtrack. This version is 16 minutes.

Dave Brubeck is always welcome.

1nK7bIkl.jpg

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Is this record player terrible? : http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00COSGOLU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Things to keep in mind before you answer:

- I do not own a separate pair of speakers, so built-in is a huge plus for me.

- I am mainly looking for a turntable with USB recording function because I recently bought something on vinyl that is not available digitally, and I would love to put those songs on my computer.

- I am so not an audio snob in the slightest. I only recently bought decent in-ear headphones after using the standard Apple issue earbuds for years and years, so unless this is truly tragic quality, I'm sure I'll be fine on that front.

That would be my first turntable.

andylsun

Is this record player terrible? : http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00COSGOLU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Things to keep in mind before you answer:

- I do not own a separate pair of speakers, so built-in is a huge plus for me.

- I am mainly looking for a turntable with USB recording function because I recently bought something on vinyl that is not available digitally, and I would love to put those songs on my computer.

- I am so not an audio snob in the slightest. I only recently bought decent in-ear headphones after using the standard Apple issue earbuds for years and years, so unless this is truly tragic quality, I'm sure I'll be fine on that front.

That would be my first turntable.

If it's just the one record then perhaps see if you know someone who could rip it for you rather than buy a record player just for that one record.

If you are going to get more records, an audio technica lp120usb or a used Stanton USB turntable would be much better than the crosley if you are mainly going to import from vinyl to PC

If you are in the USA and want to ship it, I can rip it and ship it back to you with WAV or MP3 files.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
If it's just the one record then perhaps see if you know someone who could rip it for you rather than buy a record player just for that one record.

If you are going to get more records, an audio technica lp120usb or a used Stanton USB turntable would be much better than the crosley if you are mainly going to import from vinyl to PC

If you are in the USA and want to ship it, I can rip it and ship it back to you with WAV or MP3 files.
I have two records (it's just the one I want to rip though), and I think I may go buy four more (the Hannibal soundtracks on vinyl).

Been listening to some old Alice Cooper on my Technics SLD2 lately.

So far I own Love it to Death, Welcome to my Nightmare, Alice Cooper Goes to Hell, the Alice Cooper Show, From the Inside, and Flush the Fashion all on vinyl

Man, do I love me some Coop.

Flynn

Ordered Alice Cooper's Trash and Constrictor off of Discogs today. Should round out the collection quite nicely.

I have:
Welcome to My Nightmare
From the Inside
Billion Dollar Babies
Greatest Hits
Killer
The Alice Cooper Show

Favorite songs: "Under My Wheels" and "Ballad of Dwight Frye"

I have:
Welcome to My Nightmare
From the Inside
Billion Dollar Babies
Greatest Hits
Killer
The Alice Cooper Show

Favorite songs: "Under My Wheels" and "Ballad of Dwight Frye"

WTMN, Billion Dollar Babies and Killer are all excellent.

I found The Cars' self-titled today @ The Salvation Army. Fifty cents VERY WELL SPENT.

Wreav

Banned
After getting my first player last month, been working on picking up my favorite albums. Today got some Ben Folds Five and Radiohead for trading in Driveclub, not a shabby deal at all!

11055572_895779050464360_32584592_n.jpg

Last week picked up the limited print of Third Eye Blind's debut, jacket arrived a bit damaged so after a partial refund, actually ended up paying less than $30 for a limited edition which I was pretty stoked about. The vinyl is GORGEOUS.

11005049_972115169468151_1859130464_n.jpg

Top Bottom