• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

I need to learn self-control.

I received my first two albums today, bought four more albums in the last two hours and Amazon decided to take an entire week to send my turntable so it's not even here yet.

This is like when I started collecting comics.

Atrophis

I need to learn self-control.

I received my first two albums today, bought four more albums in the last two hours and Amazon decided to take an entire week to send my turntable so it's not even here yet.

This is like when I started collecting comics.

Hah ain't that the truth!

Don't have a player yet either. Need to clear out a bunch of junk and rearrange my living room before I'll have the space for a player and the bunch of audio equipment upgrades I plan to buy.

Anyone else starting to or have always disliked all these colored vinyls? I received my white limited edition of Bjork's Vespertine and then I just recently picked up Cocteau Twins' Heaven or Las Vegas repress and I just think that the black vinyls are better and all these colored releases seem, I don't know, just gimmicky? The look of the sleek black and being able to find the songs quicker and easier on the traditional black make me prefer it more. Am I the only one or do others here on vinyl gaf agree?

MC_Hify

I'm really new to vinyl so I'm not quite sure what I'm doing but I just picked up an audio-technica lp60 for my first turntable thinking it would be a good beginner turntable and I want to know what you guys think some good beginner speakers are. Also, I know I can plug head phones and my Jambox into it but do I need to get an amp as well? Thanks.

I'm really new to vinyl so I'm not quite sure what I'm doing but I just picked up an audio-technica lp60 for my first turntable thinking it would be a good beginner turntable and I want to know what you guys think some good beginner speakers are. Also, I know I can plug head phones and my Jambox into it but do I need to get an amp as well? Thanks.

A decent pair of bookshelf speakers should suffice. I use an old pair of Polk R10's through a JVC home theater receiver. Nothing fancy whatsoever, but it sounds more than good enough to me. Both were hand-me-downs from an uncle. I'd see if you can get anything free from friends or relatives. Leaves more money for records. You can upgrade your rig later if you feel the need.

Anyone else starting to or have always disliked all these colored vinyls? I received my white limited edition of Bjork's Vespertine and then I just recently picked up Cocteau Twins' Heaven or Las Vegas repress and I just think that the black vinyls are better and all these colored releases seem, I don't know, just gimmicky? The look of the sleek black and being able to find the songs quicker and easier on the traditional black make me prefer it more. Am I the only one or do others here on vinyl gaf agree?

I am a sucker for colored vinyl. I'll go out of my way to get them if I can.

I have always hated colored vinyl, especially when DJ'ing. Sure some of them look nice (some really don't), but stuff like not being able to spot dust, scratches or other scruff and especially where one track ends and one starts really sucks. I don't go out of my way to avoid them but if a black copy is easily available I just pick up that one.

At least they are not picture discs, nothing worse than picture discs. Well, there is: picture disc inside a regular sleeve so you can't get disappointed until you look on the inside.

Got a friend who despises coloured vinyl as its "proven" to be worse for sound than black vinyl. Ive no idead but he is a meeeeggggaaa sound and format geek, like wrote his uni dissertation on the loss rate of mp3 vs wav and shit

BeeDog

Coloured vinyls are beautiful, but they are annoying in the sense that it's hard to find tracks. Also, from what I've understood, coloured vinyls usually mix in other plastics as well, which tend to build up static electricity more easily which worsens the sound quality (or at least add tons more crackles and stuff).

Got a friend who despises coloured vinyl as its "proven" to be worse for sound than black vinyl. Ive no idead but he is a meeeeggggaaa sound and format geek, like wrote his uni dissertation on the loss rate of mp3 vs wav and shit

I have always wondered if it was just my ears or some placebo that some of my colored vinyls didn't seem to sound as broad and full to me as the black ones. I've heard M83's Hurry up, We're Dreaming on the pink/blue and the black. Both on my setup and I thought it was just me but I could've sworn the black seemed to be a little better. *shugs* or maybe I was just thought mine was better since I was jealous of the limited transparent blue and pink and I didn't have it.

amnesiac

Audiophile engineer Steve Hoffman has posted a few times on his forum stating that colored vinyl sounds no different than standard vinyl. Remember that black vinyl is colored, too.

I like colored records! Yeah, you can't see the tracks, but I play whole sides at a time so it doesn't really matter. You can't see scratches either, but I almost always buy colored vinyl new so they don't happen too often.

Colored vinyl is like candy. I especially enjoy colored translucent vinyl. I love being able to see my Michael Myers slipmat underneath lol.

I love colored vinyl. If there's some sort of colored press I'll always try to pick it up (if the price isn't crazy...). People at parties tend to get a kick out of it as well since most are used to the basic black vinyl. My most recent purchase (Hotline Miami 2 OST) looked like a bag of Skittles: http://imgur.com/a/yuV1W

big ander

I honestly have no preference between colored pressings and black ones. Colored records can be cool when they fit well with the music and packaging. Care a lot more about lyric sheets, liners, nice sleeves, etc. Which sucks because nowadays it feels far more common for current releases to have basic sleeves and no inserts but a Special Deluxe Supreme Cranberry-Mandarin Splatter Swirl Mixaroo Extravafuckinganza record.

I honestly have no preference between colored pressings and black ones. Colored records can be cool when they fit well with the music and packaging. Care a lot more about lyric sheets, liners, nice sleeves, etc. Which sucks because nowadays it feels far more common for current releases to have basic sleeves and no inserts but a Special Deluxe Supreme Cranberry-Mandarin Splatter Swirl Mixaroo Extravafuckinganza record.

I have to agree with you, even though I'm starting to, I guess, dislike having all these colored vinyls, I think the reason many of us get into vinyl is because of the packaging, larger artwork and the sound vinyl has. So in the end, the color of the record is pretty much unimportant but I do place more importance on these extras that can, and used to be included in the albums. Listening to the records while going through the liner notes, staring at the artwork and slowly putting the record back in it's unique sleeve is pat of the ritual to me.

Well, I done fucked up now.

One of the albums I bought off ebay might get sent to my old job if the guy doesn't check his messages on Monday. That would make for some awkward conversations seeing as how I can't stand almost everyone there.

Also, I moved two hours away about a year after I left. I'm an idiot.

jacobs34

Most of my collection since starting last August.

16768158005_847729ddb1_z.jpg

Mr. Doop

Do any of you guys know a good, cheap way to clean records? I've just gotten into vinyl a few months ago and I'd like to know for future reference.

MilkLizard

I'm also a big fan of coloured vinyl and always try to get those editions but I have one that actually sounds worse than the standard edition. The label informed customers already during production and offered the possibility to change the order, but I got it anyway.

It's the glow in the dark edition from Perturbators Dangerous Days. There is a lot more static noise between the tracks. Nothing too bad but it's there.

It looks awesome though ;)

WnZdCsJh.jpg

Went on a massive shop (which initially was just meant to be browsing, but... that never happens) this weekend and got a pretty awesome haul.

Kanye West - The College Dropout
Various - Hohokum OST (rainbow colored)
Vangelis - Blade Runner OST (translucent red)
Iceage - Plowing Through the Fields of Love
Flying Lotus - You're Dead
Arctic Monkeys - Favourite Worst Nightmare
True Widow - Circumambulation
Caribou - Our Love
Chelsea Wolfe - Pain is Beauty
Kyary Pamyu Pamyu - Pika Pika Fantajin (picture disc)

A nice mixup from my last all-metal haul.

NeoFaff

Hey peeps, I was wondering if anyone could help me identify something from my youth.

I remember these small blue plastic discs that would play on a record player. They were Russian, made of soft flexible plastic and were about 15cm in diameter. They were also unreliable because the needle would eventually scratch the tracks. Anyone know what that format is called?

Can't find any information on the damn things. Thanks.

Hey peeps, I was wondering if anyone could help me identify something from my youth.

I remember these small blue plastic discs that would play on a record player. They were Russian, made of soft flexible plastic and were about 15cm in diameter. They were also unreliable because the needle would eventually scratch the tracks. Anyone know what that format is called?

Flexidiscs! Often just called "flexis."

8bit

Knows the Score
Not to be rude, but where the fuck is my Twin Peaks vinyl?

Well, Record Store Day releases are to be announced in about 2 hours so maybe you'll find out then.

Blue and Russian might be these though :

02_st_louis_blues.jpg

overcast

Well, Record Store Day releases are to be announced in about 2 hours so maybe you'll find out then.
Well there is a 7 inch available for a few tracks.

I was more talking the Death Waltz reissued that was previously announced for early 2015.

8bit

Knows the Score
Well there is a 7 inch available for a few tracks.

I was more talking the Death Waltz reissued that was previously announced for early 2015.

Sure, I realise that but I was wondering if it was going to be bundled into a RSD release since it seems to have gone quiet.

That said, I don't think I'll bother as Death Waltz being folded into Mondo means I can't preorder anything and have to buy into the Mondo feeding frenzy not to mention significantly increased shipping.

(BTW, Twin Peaks on the RSD release list is a shitty band with that name.)

overcast

Yeah, I realized that neither of those songs were part of the show when I looked them up. Ew.

Yeah, the feeding frenzy aspect is shit. I thought there are pre-orders on record through the site. I can definitely be wrong though.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
This is the first RSD that there's really nothing I want. Not such a bad thing, I guess.

This is the first RSD that there's really nothing I want. Not such a bad thing, I guess.

Can't wait for some actual records I'd like to buy but can't because the plants are busy pressing 100000 copies of Bruce Springsteen LP's that were previously only available in every single flea market and used record store in the world.

Oh well, if you gonna buy one RSD release, by Eternally Years by The Saints. One of the best australian records ever made.

Top Bottom