• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

amnesiac

What I'm going to try to get:

Polaris - Music From The Adventures Of Pete And Pete
Mark Kozelek - What's Next To The Moon

Might pick up the Foo Fighters and Grizzly Bear releases but I don't know.

Also, it sucks that the US isn't getting the Slowdive EP compilation that the UK is getting.

zSWGbvW.png
The new Iron and Wine compilation finally showed up, took like 4 weeks. I somehow was one of the first 200 to order so I got an autographed track listing from Sam Beam, pretty cool.
Some of these songs are familiar, they must have been bootlegged back in the day, but they're all pretty good, though I can understand why Sub Pop didn't pick them for The Creek Drank the Cradle as they don't really fit in that theme. I haven't been a fan of an Iron and Wine record since In The Reins, so it's nice to hear something good from him again, even if it's old stuff.

amnesiac

Hang on a second. A bunch of the tiers say "including everything from the lower tiers," but the tiers below it are both colored and regular editions of the record. Did they just write this very poorly, or do you get like 3 copies for contributing 40 bucks?
it says
NOTE:

The $45 pledge tier does NOT include a black copy of the record...we just wanted to make that clear, buddys!

yeah it is poorly worded

Can't wait for some actual records I'd like to buy but can't because the plants are busy pressing 100000 copies of Bruce Springsteen LP's that were previously only available in every single flea market and used record store in the world.

Oh well, if you gonna buy one RSD release, by Eternally Years by The Saints. One of the best australian records ever made.

They are the remastered LPs that were in the boxset from last year. They sound fantastic especially The River which is the one Bruce album that needed remastering.

Mr. Doop

Just picked up one of my favorite albums today:

TSBNP0y

Wait, the image isn't showing up for me. It's The Velvet Underground and Nico if you can't see it.

150314_01_zpszieqae4b.png

Negative Plane (NY) - Et in Saecula Saeculorum (The Ajna Offensive 2014)

150314_02_zpszoikdgxy.png

Negative Plane (NY) - Stained Glass Revelations (The Ajna Offensive 2014)

150314_03_zpstnwbz1wd.png

Ominous Resurrection (NY) - Omniscient (Funeral Industries 2014)
Funereal Presence (NY) - Funereal Presence (The Ajna Offensive 2011)
Funereal Presence (NY) - The Archer Takes Aim (The Ajna Offensive; Sepulchral Voice 2014)

150314_01_zpszieqae4b.png

Negative Plane (NY) - Et in Saecula Saeculorum (The Ajna Offensive 2014)

150314_02_zpszoikdgxy.png

Negative Plane (NY) - Stained Glass Revelations (The Ajna Offensive 2014)

150314_03_zpstnwbz1wd.png

Ominous Resurrection (NY) - Omniscient (Funeral Industries 2014)
Funereal Presence (NY) - Funereal Presence (The Ajna Offensive 2011)
Funereal Presence (NY) - The Archer Takes Aim (The Ajna Offensive; Sepulchral Voice 2014)

Oh dang.

my vespertine reprint finally arrived
52b0f867.gif

I really wanted the Vespertine and Homogenic repressings but realized it would just be throwing money out the window as I have the original pressings. I bet they look lovely though.

I do have the original Post pink vinyl and it's a beauty.

Hey guys.

I'm thinking about replacing my old record player (Ferguson Studio 1000) with something new. The Pro-Ject Carbon seems like the best option, but I've read that you have to buy way too many upgrades before it really shines. (On reddit)

Is it my own fault for venturing into reddit?

My budget is around €500...

I don't really want to buy used.

Durask

I tried Pro-Ject RM1.3 w/Sumiko Pearl Cartridge and I thought it was quite good, IMHO.

Myself I ended up spending more money and got a turntable that I can finally say I am actually 95% satisfied with. Not cheap though.

rNDUJBy.jpg

2SzZQwe.jpg

UnmqEJS.jpg

sca2511

I'm pretty new to listening to vinyl, though I've been buying a few records here and there. I finally setup my Pro-Ject Debut Carbon that's been sitting around for a couple of years. Also bought the Swan M10s to go along with it. I'm not sure if I set it up wrong, but I've been trying to play the CHVRCHES record and the volume coming out of the M10 is really light. At maximum volume, the audio comfortably/lightly fills the room, which I'd think is a mistake. Playing audio through my phone, the speakers work correctly. I'm thinking that I'd need a preamp/amp (not really sure of the difference) for it to work properly with the Carbon? Something like this or something better (recommendations welcome)?

I thought the Swan M10s had a built-in amplifier?

8bit

Knows the Score
I'm pretty new to listening to vinyl, though I've been buying a few records here and there. I finally setup my Pro-Ject Debut Carbon that's been sitting around for a couple of years. Also bought the Swan M10s to go along with it. I'm not sure if I set it up wrong, but I've been trying to play the CHVRCHES record and the volume coming out of the M10 is really light. At maximum volume, the audio comfortably/lightly fills the room, which I'd think is a mistake. Playing audio through my phone, the speakers work correctly. I'm thinking that I'd need a preamp/amp (not really sure of the difference) for it to work properly with the Carbon? Something like this or something better (recommendations welcome)?

I thought the Swan M10s had a built-in amplifier?

What makes you think the Swans have a built in amp? They look like fairly standard computer speakers.

I'm not familiar with either of those components but I think you're missing a pre-amp between the Carbon & the Swans, should be able to find one that's good enough to begin with for a few bucks.

e.g. : http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00025742A/?tag=neogaf0e-20 (Not a recommendation as I have no experience with that item, but it won't break the bank)

Here is someone mentioning running a DJ Pre amp into Swan M10s.

http://forum.vinylmeplease.com/index.php?threads/looking-to-upgrade-my-turntable.744/#post-2296

sca2511

What makes you think the Swans have a built in amp? They look like fairly standard computer speakers.

I see on various forum posts that it has its own built-in amp, unless I'm misunderstanding something. Thanks for the links.

edit: I bought the pre-amp. Exciting.

This album is really good and im annoyed I slept on it cos its cost me £5 to buy it online over a rekid shop.

clap-clap-tayi-bebba-the-rainstick-fable.jpg

https://soundcloud.com/black-acre-records/clap-clap-kuj-yato
Also bought this as well
grinning_cat.jpg

and a random remix EP
Susumu Yokota - Mix
that I can only find one clip of audio for, but fuck it it was £2.

Both pretty big departures from the usual dubstep and grime that i pick up.

Also got these on the way.
John Lennon / Plastic Ono Band* - John Lennon / Plastic Ono Band
John Lennon - Imagine
The Doors- LA Woman
Townes Van Zandt- Live At The Old Quarter

attention.

CB you are allways buying mad looking stuff , do you have a discogs i could browse or some playlists or something?

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Someone sell me the Lp of this pls
bay13cd0.jpg

Also FML for ignoring Lewis for so long. Going to have to hunt L'Amor down now.

These Yokota albums are great, and it's never occurred to me to look for his stuff around here before! As for Lewis, the repress of L'amour is officially oop now, but Light In the Attic is based here in Seattle so copies are still a bit more available than perhaps in other areas (not sure if it was ever actually released on your side of the world). If I come across a copy sometime soon, I'll give you a PM.

CB you are allways buying mad looking stuff , do you have a discogs i could browse or some playlists or something?

Here's my discogs; I don't think it's as wild as you're hoping for, but who knows! ;)

Few top wants I have filled in the past weeks:

S7USJ7q.png

Venom P Stringer - Walking About 7" on Aberrant Records

Nq2V4DJ.png

Les Calamites - Toutes Les Nuits 7" on New Rose Records

1OGULj1.png

Jonathan Richman & The Modern Lovers - Cleopatra (dutch press) and The Innocents - One Way Love (OG without the impossibly rare cover, power pop classic!)

Among others, I have bought tons of records this month

MilkLizard

Hi Vinyl GAF,

I mostly listen to music with my headphones. At the moment I have a cheap preamp between my player and my a/v receiver but I want to step up my game.

I was thinking about getting this Shiit and use it with this Shiit. Will that work good enough? Does anyone have a similar setup or any better recommendations?

Any help is much appreciated.

Durask

It's gorgeous, at least!

Made in Germany, yes, build quality is great.

My only complaint is that when you start it, the belt skids a little over the electric motor roller for a second or so, most likely because the platter is so heavy, making a squeaky sound.

Does not affect playback quality at all, of course, it's just that for this kind of money you expect perfection :)

nitewulf

Made in Germany, yes, build quality is great.

My only complaint is that when you start it, the belt skids a little over the electric motor roller for a second or so, most likely because the platter is so heavy, making a squeaky sound.

Does not affect playback quality at all, of course, it's just that for this kind of money you expect perfection :)

Essentially it's a Clearaudio Emotion, Marantz commisioned Clearaudio to design that turntable. If the belt skids a little, that means its a bit loose, you cant re-position the motor on that? You can try a different belt, something a bit tighter.

I love pics of gear, here's mine:

This week I received the double vinyl of Frank Zappa's "Finer Moments" along with the reissues of "Over-Nite" Sensation and "Roxy and Elsewhere". Damn, the ZFT is really doing a good job these days. These records are very well mastered, well pressed (by Pallas in Germany) on 180g black vinyl with lined sleeves, and with lovely gatefold covers. I'm hearing that there may be some mastering issues with "Apostrophe(')" so I'm holding off on that one, but the reissues I've bought serve as fine substitutes for the original pressings from the early 70s.

I got my Björk vinyl today (Post, Homogenic, Vespertine) from One Little Indian today. I'm really excited to go home and listen to it all, but I forgot to order Debut and now it looks like it's sold out! I'm so mad at myself. T_T

IronRinn

Essentially it's a Clearaudio Emotion, Marantz commisioned Clearaudio to design that turntable. If the belt skids a little, that means its a bit loose, you cant re-position the motor on that? You can try a different belt, something a bit tighter.

I love pics of gear, here's mine:

I said god damn.

Flynn

I got my Björk vinyl today (Post, Homogenic, Vespertine) from One Little Indian today. I'm really excited to go home and listen to it all, but I forgot to order Debut and now it looks like it's sold out! I'm so mad at myself. T_T

I slept on the pre-orders. Found one on Discogs at a reasonable price but others people are already asking 50 bucks for.

Durask

Great gear.

Can't reposition the motor any more than I have already.

It comes with 2 belts, let me try the other one...

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
The only limited releases were the colored vinyl. I can't imagine the standard black versions would be a one-and-done printing for something as long-awaited as these Bjork albums.

I'm assuming the "temporarily out of stock" message means they'll never get it again.

EDIT: Meh, ordered it anyway. Will probably get a cancellation email in eight months.

Yeah, I'm saw this too. I'm going to place an order and see. I don't care that much about the colored vinyl (although I'm happy I copped the hot pink Homogenic vinyl, it looks great).

Vitanimus

my vulnicura print arrived yesterday. the double cover is super nice! also have a free code for a digital copy of the album if anyone wants to claim it. I already bought it the second it released lol

Top Bottom