• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

Is that your collection or your recent pick up? Wow at all those blue note albums if they were recent pick ups! Some of those must've cost a nice penny. But awesome none the less! And your setup looks amazing.

nitewulf

Yes, the Blue Notes (and Impulse! as well as some other labels) are indeed recent pickups. I've recently begun collecting original or 2nd/3rd pressings of my favorite titles. Some are very expensive, some I've gotten lucky finding at local stores for $20 - $50 range. It's a nice adventure! Thanks!

Vitanimus

soooo I think I'm gonna finally take the plunge and get:

• Rega RP1
  • Denon PMA520AE amplifier
  • and pair of Wharfedale Diamond 10.2 Speakers

sound good? anyone else got any recommendations?

I scored two limited Kylesa albums this week - the clear From the Vaults double LP (limited to 250 apparently) and the split purple and pink Ultraviolet, which is limited to 500. Pretty stoked about those.

Also picked up The Body & Thou's joint album You, Whom I Have Always Hated, which I don't think is rare at this point but is still totally awesome to have on vinyl, especially with the alternate cover.

Flynn

I scored two limited Kylesa albums this week - the clear From the Vaults double LP (limited to 250 apparently) and the split purple and pink Ultraviolet, which is limited to 500. Pretty stoked about those.

Also picked up The Body & Thou's joint album You, Whom I Have Always Hated, which I don't think is rare at this point but is still totally awesome to have on vinyl, especially with the alternate cover.

I need to get some of Kylesa's older records. Lemme know how you like those. Were they from Relapse?

I need to get some of Kylesa's older records. Lemme know how you like those. Were they from Relapse?

I picked up all three of mine (From the Vaults, Ultraviolet, Spiral Shadow) from a local shop. They have To Walk a Middle Course and Time Will Fuse Its Worth there as well, which I should pick up sometime.

Of course, what I really want is Static Tensions, but that goes for a lot of money these days.

Flynn

I picked up all three of mine (From the Vaults, Ultraviolet, Spiral Shadow) from a local shop. They have To Walk a Middle Course and Time Will Fuse Its Worth there as well, which I should pick up sometime.

Of course, what I really want is Static Tensions, but that goes for a lot of money these days.

Ah, same. Have been hoping that would get a re-issue for a long time.

Sacked off buying a new TV, spent most of it on records lol
9euK2YI.jpgI

Flynn

So the copy of Post I got on discogs wound up being the regular black press, not 180g -- I'm perfectly happy with it and it wasn't crazy expensive so yay.

Dwayne

The quality of the music will be much lower if you fit the entire
album on one 12".

I'd agree if we were talking about a longer album, but 49 minutes isn't going to equate to a "much lower" quality of sound. "The Bends" is the same length and sounds great, but fits on a single LP.

Went to a shop on a whim to browse (oops) and left with Death Grips - The Powers that B, Sturgill Simpson - Metamodern Sounds in Country Music, John Carpenter's Lost Themes, and a cool box set of I Am the Center.

amnesiac

Anyone else have any Music Matters Blue Note reissues? Heard they are amazing, and I need to have some more jazz in my collection, but they're pricey. I could always buy the $20 Blue Note 75 reissues but I've heard questionable things about them.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
searching for Robyn vinyl is harder than trying to buy an amiibo

I'm not even sure her 2007 album exists at this point

It was only released in Germany (not even convinced it was an official edition) so you're gonna pay a few hundred for it.

Kind of baffling that - at a minimum - Body Talk and Robyn haven't been reissued by someone by now. I still have a CD of a Body Talk simply because she signed it, heh.

I've been binging on vinyl this month (so many new releases and resissues!) but the limited edition of The Soft Moon's new album, Deeper, is really sick looking. I am fairly indifferent to colored vinyl, but I love this.

I've been binging on vinyl this month (so many new releases and resissues!) but the limited edition of The Soft Moon's new album, Deeper, is really sick looking. I am fairly indifferent to colored vinyl, but I love this.

Argh, jealous! I missed the preorder window on this one. It turned out really nice.

nitewulf

Anyone else have any Music Matters Blue Note reissues? Heard they are amazing, and I need to have some more jazz in my collection, but they're pricey. I could always buy the $20 Blue Note 75 reissues but I've heard questionable things about them.
yes. they are fantastic. i'm not a big fan of the older 45rpm 2LP releases, but a huge fan of their new 33rpm single lps. they are, next to mint originals, the best blue notes you could buy. for $35 an album, its a no brainer. don't do the 75 reissues, those are most likely digital sourced, might as well buy the cds. you can blind pick up every single one of the 33rpm releases, one at a time. these things will possibly only go up in price once they run out.

with the music matters reissues you really get what you pay for, not only do they sound amazing, the gatefold covers are of very high quality, you get great cover art, and they also provide session pictures that the originals do not have. very neat packaging.

a few notes.

if you find Classic Records reissues for cheap (they aren't!), then you can go for those as well, I find them to be very close to originals. they tried to master their releases similar to what Rudy Van Gelder (RVG) did for the original blue notes, where he was pretty much Blue Note's main recording engineer. these releases are very open, hard hitting, and they swing, just like hard bop is supposed to!

the music matters are differently mastered, lovingly, but differently, impeccable audio quality.

original blue notes....boy do these sound good. nothing quite like a mint original or early blue note pressing. but the MMs and Classic Records issues do get very close. don't bother with the 75yr reissues by Blue Note themselves, or the mid 2000 $12 issues, they are all pretty bad.

Vitanimus

It was only released in Germany (not even convinced it was an official edition) so you're gonna pay a few hundred for it.

Kind of baffling that - at a minimum - Body Talk and Robyn haven't been reissued by someone by now. I still have a CD of a Body Talk simply because she signed it, heh.

what really? that's a bummer :( I've seen one instagram photo of the 2xLP body talk and I want it so baaaaaad.

also think I'm gonna take the plunge in the next week or two on my system for my 21st birthday present. think I'm gonna get

• Rega RP1
  • Marantz PM6005
  • Whafedale Diamonds 10.2
I think anyway. I feel like I'm skimping out a bit on speakers but I'm on a relative budget and considering the infancy of my record collection, I'm trying not to get too hung up on not having the best of the best etc.

Flynn

I have never seen Robyn on vinyl, but I have seen her eating french dip sandwiches with her bandmates at Phillipe's so that's a pretty good consolation prize.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
There are just those day where the right records just land at your finger tips at the right time

Magic.

Tommy DJ

what really? that's a bummer :( I've seen one instagram photo of the 2xLP body talk and I want it so baaaaaad.

also think I'm gonna take the plunge in the next week or two on my system for my 21st birthday present. think I'm gonna get

• Rega RP1
  • Marantz PM6005
  • Whafedale Diamonds 10.2
I think anyway. I feel like I'm skimping out a bit on speakers but I'm on a relative budget and considering the infancy of my record collection, I'm trying not to get too hung up on not having the best of the best etc.

I'm not sure if you're aware but unless warranty is a serious desire, the seconds market (eg. Audiogon) is a great place to get a bargain. In my experience, a good number of "higher end" consumer audio equipment sold in the seconds market are babied and rarely used. Audiophiles generally take care of their stuff and often aren't the best at making informed purchases. A good number of sales seem to be related to lack of use or money issues (aka "downsizing").

Like if you're in the US, you can get an absolutely mint pair of KEF Q300s for the same price as the Wharfedale Diamond 10.2 right now. Even comes with every single bit of the box and packaging.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.

Mr. Doop

I found a beautiful original pressing of London Calling and 3 Bowie records (Diamond Dogs, Young Americans & Scary Monsters).

Nice! I picked up Ziggy Stardust for a few dollars a couple days ago. The cover has suffered water damage or something, but the record is in excellent condition.

What do you guys use to replace inner sleeves? I've gotten a couple new records that come with these really crappy thin plastic sleeves that look like a crumpled mess after about a week. I prefer regular paper sleeves but I'm not sure if there's a benefit to getting higher quality plastic sleeves instead. These Mobile Fidelity Sleeves seem to have the highest reviews on Amazon.

I use the MoFi inner sleeves. Great stuff.

Nice. Looking at your previous posts, it looks like you take good care of your records so I'll take your word on it. To compare, the sleeves that I'm complaining about are this style. I can never seem to get them inside the cover smoothly and it becomes really annoying switching records.

I find all the plastic sleeves to be absolute garbage. Same goes for japanese polybags (and other similar style), sleeves that are too thin and sleeves that are too wide or too thin.

Nice. Looking at your previous posts, it looks like you take good care of your records so I'll take your word on it. To compare, the sleeves that I'm complaining about are this style. I can never seem to get them inside the cover smoothly and it becomes really annoying switching records.

I've encountered a couple of those with records that I had purchased and I agree they are a hassle for some reason. Definitely prefer square sleeves. I really wish MoFi had them for 7" and 10", but that's just my OCD talking.

while we're on this subject, I just gotta say that I hate printed inner sleeves so, so much.

amnesiac

I prefer the SleeveCity Diskeeper Audiophile sleeves to the MoFis. They are nearly identical, but the SleeveCity ones have thicker material in the back so they are a bit more sturdy.

Yeah, printed inner sleeves suck so much. Especially those extremely thick ones. You may as well just throw the records straight into the jacket as there's really no difference in how rough they are to the records. I hate buying a new album, only to find the records already in VG+ condition because of the sleeve.

Where do you put the printed inners that have been replaced? Sometimes both won't fit in the record sleeve, so I'll have to store them outside the jacket in the outer sleeve which is kind of annoying.

Yeah, printed inner sleeves suck so much. Especially those extremely thick ones. You may as well just throw the records straight into the jacket as there's really no difference in how rough they are to the records. I hate buying a new album, only to find the records already in VG+ condition because of the sleeve.

Where do you put the printed inners that have been replaced? Sometimes both won't fit in the record sleeve, so I'll have to store them outside the jacket in the outer sleeve which is kind of annoying.

Why are you storing the records inside the jackets anyway if you are so worried that something like a simple printed sleeve is enough to turn a minty record to VG+? Store the inner sleeves inside the sleeves and the records outside of the sleeves inside the polybag. While that is the only sensible way, even that is overkill for most records (if you take proper care and store your records well). Eeeh...

I prefer the SleeveCity Diskeeper Audiophile sleeves to the MoFis. They are nearly identical, but the SleeveCity ones have thicker material in the back so they are a bit more sturdy.

I'll probably give the Sleeve City stuff a whirl one of these days. I have enjoyed the quality of a couple other products they offer.

for the most part, I keep all the printed stuff inside the jacket. So releases with printed inners, posters, A4 cards, etc. have all that stuff in one place. If the record can fit without issue, I'll keep it in the pocket as well but really it's almost never the case. So yeah, records behind the jacket in the outer sleeve. I sometimes wonder if I'm doing that at my own peril but I guess as long as I don't keep those LPs stuffed too tightly with others it shouldn't be a problem.

as a long term project, I want to scan and reprint some of my inner sleeves as thick cardboard inserts. Seems simple enough.

Top Bottom