• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

Thanks for the suggestions! I was going to hit up my local shop and see if they had any opinions as well, maybe get a feel for either the MoFi or SleeveCity if they have any on hand. Neither are too expensive so if I might just get both and decide. Too many extra sleeves is never a bad thing.

As for record storage, it sounds like people are going through much greater lengths than me. If anyone saw how I kept my records they might freak out, haha. Unless there's some sort of problem with the condition I usually keep my records in the paper sleeve it came with and inside the jacket. I'll add a plastic outer sleeve if they're in my storage case, but otherwise they are just on my shelf. I haven't really given much thought to how I'm storing my records.

amnesiac

Why are you storing the records inside the jackets anyway if you are so worried that something like a simple printed sleeve is enough to turn a minty record to VG+? Store the inner sleeves inside the sleeves and the records outside of the sleeves inside the polybag. While that is the only sensible way, even that is overkill for most records (if you take proper care and store your records well). Eeeh...
If you have a good innersleeve inside a jacket, the jacket offers more protection as opposed to just having the record outside the sleeve. Also, I'm not too concerned about printed inners, it's the high quality cardboard ones the damage your records.

Thanks for the suggestions! I was going to hit up my local shop and see if they had any opinions as well, maybe get a feel for either the MoFi or SleeveCity if they have any on hand. Neither are too expensive so if I might just get both and decide. Too many extra sleeves is never a bad thing.

As for record storage, it sounds like people are going through much greater lengths than me. If anyone saw how I kept my records they might freak out, haha. Unless there's some sort of problem with the condition I usually keep my records in the paper sleeve it came with and inside the jacket. I'll add a plastic outer sleeve if they're in my storage case, but otherwise they are just on my shelf. I haven't really given much thought to how I'm storing my records.
I think you can get a free sample on SleeveCity's website.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Anyone have a good solution for fixing record sleeves that have fallen apart?

my Arca record sleeve came unglued and now its just a flat piece of cardboard. Kinda annoying, but I didn't want to use just any regular old glue on it and mess it up because I used the wrong stuff.

nitewulf

What do you guys use to replace inner sleeves? I've gotten a couple new records that come with these really crappy thin plastic sleeves that look like a crumpled mess after about a week. I prefer regular paper sleeves but I'm not sure if there's a benefit to getting higher quality plastic sleeves instead. These Mobile Fidelity Sleeves seem to have the highest reviews on Amazon.

I use the MoFi sleeves, they are very good.

Yeees, finally snagged a copy of the "Run The Jewels 2" double-pack. <3

Nice! Managed to pick that and RTJ1 up back in January for $50. Soon after that I noticed the prices for both go way up.

Nice! I'm looking for that too.

I'm really hoping Action Bronson's new album Mr. Wonderful is released on vinyl soon.

I'm wanting that and To Pimp a Butterfly. I'm surprised nothing's been announced yet, especially the Kendrick album since GKMS had a pretty big vinyl release.

wenis

Nice! Managed to pick that and RTJ1 up back in January for $50. Soon after that I noticed the prices for both go way up.

I'm wanting that and To Pimp a Butterfly. I'm surprised nothing's been announced yet, especially the Kendrick album since GKMS had a pretty big vinyl release.

a couple months later. TDE is horrible with vinyl.

andylsun

pnCcVGpl.jpg

Just picked it up. Looking at the track timings on bleep, side a is 45rpm and side b is 33rpm

Edit: my thorens has a buzz at 45rpm that won't go away. Time to break out the technics and my new Stanton stylus

LoCNCKwl.jpg

Vitanimus

finally took the plunge and bought all my gear &#128513;&#128513;&#128513;

rega rp1
marantz pm6004
wharfedale diamonds 220

should all arrive tomorrow! haven't found a solution for no speaker stands yet so I'll. just make do for now. will post pics when it's all set up!

Todays stuff:

Htk4NIF.png

first repressing of Pagans self-titled LP, first time as "The Pink Album", on pinky swirly vinyl limited to 40 with Pagans - (Us) & All Of Our Friends Are SO Messed up 7" and second pressing of The Dils - I Hate The Rich 7"

Mr. Doop

Is the vinyl pressing of The College Dropout really that bad? It's one of my favorite albums, but I've heard a couple complaints about the vinyl edition.

wenis

Is the vinyl pressing of The College Dropout really that bad? It's one of my favorite albums, but I've heard a couple complaints about the vinyl edition.

it's not great. its ok. im glad i received it as a gift and didn't purchase it myself.

Vitanimus

my set up is so beautiful even without an amp yet even though my speaker placement is definitely gonna cause problems

i can't believe I waited so long
52b0f867.gif

Anyone into Fela Kuti around here? all his stuff costs mad money as each track is like 10mins long haha, 2 tracks for £20.

Def interested in more afro-beat reconsiderations as well.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Anyone into Fela Kuti around here? all his stuff costs mad money as each track is like 10mins long haha, 2 tracks for £20.

Def interested in more afro-beat reconsiderations as well.

Yeah, his stuff and pretty much anything in that vein is cost prohibitive for me. I assume it's both licensing costs for the labels, along with a low return on their investment that keeps those records so pricey.

I'd have to look up specifics once I'm home, but there are some good comps of afro beat, vintage African house and disco, etc that have enough content to make it a better value, at least.

nitewulf

Yeah I like Fela's music, but I'm not too sure about his reissues as the sourcing seems dubious, and the covers etc seem to have blurry print, so they all look bootleg. I haven't researched original releases much though, but I remember them being very expensive.

Flynn

I have the second Fela box set which is pretty good. Reasonable when you consider how much music you get. Yeah, the art is pretty janky looking, but that also has a lot to do with the low budget nature of the original pressings.

The comp called Africa 70 put out by Strut is a good intro to Afrobeat -- especially if you get the documentary disc. Strut is just a great label for that kind of music in general. You usually can't go wrong with their world music releases.

As far as Fela goes my favorite records of his are Expensive Shit and To Roforofo Fight.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Just found out that Tori Amos' Little Earthquakes and Under the Pink are fiiiinally being reissued tomorrow! Conveniently, someone bought my og Pink a couple days ago for a nice sum.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Just found out that Tori Amos' Little Earthquakes and Under the Pink are fiiiinally being reissued tomorrow! Conveniently, someone bought my og Pink a couple days ago for a nice sum.

I still have my OG, the pink vinyl right? I'm really excited about finally not getting gouged on a reissue. Why would you sell it????

Also Mezzo, I could never listen to that kind of music anymore but metal vinyl is sexy as shit. Also looks good in front of your metal-as-fuck baby blue wall.

Also Mezzo, I could never listen to that kind of music anymore but metal vinyl is sexy as shit. Also looks good in front of your metal-as-fuck baby blue wall.

for sure, it's kind of a goldmine of really cool album covers. Also thank you! I guess the blue is pretty distinctive lol.

metal is my main thing for vinyl collecting at the moment but I have an indie LP itch that I've been meaning to scratch for a while.

Yeah, his stuff and pretty much anything in that vein is cost prohibitive for me. I assume it's both licensing costs for the labels, along with a low return on their investment that keeps those records so pricey.

I'd have to look up specifics once I'm home, but there are some good comps of afro beat, vintage African house and disco, etc that have enough content to make it a better value, at least.

Yeah I like Fela's music, but I'm not too sure about his reissues as the sourcing seems dubious, and the covers etc seem to have blurry print, so they all look bootleg. I haven't researched original releases much though, but I remember them being very expensive.

I have the second Fela box set which is pretty good. Reasonable when you consider how much music you get. Yeah, the art is pretty janky looking, but that also has a lot to do with the low budget nature of the original pressings.

The comp called Africa 70 put out by Strut is a good intro to Afrobeat -- especially if you get the documentary disc. Strut is just a great label for that kind of music in general. You usually can't go wrong with their world music releases.

As far as Fela goes my favorite records of his are Expensive Shit and To Roforofo Fight.

Ah ill have a dig around then. I do have "the best of the black president" LP comp on my disco dogs want list. I thought they were all proper releases as I want to say Brian Eno currated the most recent? someone high profile anyways but they are like £130 or something.

wenis

Always enjoy when I buy a record off the shelf and when I open it at home it turns out to be the limited edition copy!

Bought that Baths EP for $15 and ended getting the $50 Teal w/Black Splatter edition!

imagefplrm.jpg

And I found an original pressing of Slayer - Reign in Blood. Pretty stoked about that one.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
how long have you been collecting cosmo *.* you seem very knowledgeable

Hm, not a super long time.. Just since I moved to Seattle, so about five years.

I still have my OG, the pink vinyl right? I'm really excited about finally not getting gouged on a reissue. Why would you sell it???.

Yeah, it was the pink wax one. I got bills to pay, unfortunately. ;_; I'll pick up the two reissues down the road sometime, with a priority on Earthquakes, since that's an all-time favorite.

Totally agree about metal vinyl looking completely gnarly but is generally not something I can handle listening to anymore.

I might be one of the only active consumers of metal here (lurkers roll call?) but this thread is still one of my favorites to be a part of. It's that vinyl respect, yo. Everything here is eye candy to me.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
I might be one of the only active consumers of metal here (lurkers roll call?) but this thread is still one of my favorites to be a part of. It's that vinyl respect, yo. Everything here is eye candy to me.

I remember Witchfinder General used to post a lot of metal vinyl, he's not around much anymore though.

*raises hand*

I've been inactive due to moving, but I did recently pick up the Pan-Thy-Monium re-issue on black vinyl that you've reminded me about. Unrelated, I did find my old box of Cassettes and VHS of a lot of first pressing Earache stuff.

I remember Witchfinder General used to post a lot of metal vinyl, he's not around much anymore though.

maybe I can summon him if I stick around long enough.

*raises hand*

I've been inactive due to moving, but I did recently pick up the Pan-Thy-Monium re-issue on black vinyl that you've reminded me about. Unrelated, I did find my old box of Cassettes and VHS of a lot of first pressing Earache stuff.

what's up dawg. Nice re-find, def gotta share that one.

pablito

Not really super recent purchases but I haven't posted anything in a while.

Lil Ugly Mane - Mista Thug Isolation reissue (have the second issuing of it too)
Godflesh - A World Only Lit By Fire
J Dilla - Donuts. from VMP. The pressing was messed up so they're making more of them.
Wu-Tang - 36 Chambers

Me too! But I haven't been able to buy much recently. Just started working again so hopefully there'll be some shit. Already got my eye on some stuff.

Atrophis

I decided to start collecting vinyl in December because I wanted to build a metal collection but I've only bought one metal record so far. I've got Caladan Brood and Saor at the top of my to buy list though, just need to find the spare cash. The new Enslaved is tempting me too.

I remember when I started collecting vinyl in like '09. I had basically just gotten my first full-time job and I didn't even have a turntable. One of my friends on another metal board was trying to get me into it because The Crypt (label) was putting out their first release. I pulled the trigger and next thing I knew was I had like 20 LPs and still no turntable haha. At the moment I have about 5 crates of LPs and a shoebox of 7"s. 2 or 3 box sets.

this hobby is definitely a fire in the wallet. It's dope.

pablito

I was always mildly interested in vinyl. I'd bring it up every once in a while in conversation but never bought anything. Then for my birthday my gf got me a starter player and Hades Archer - For The Diabolical Ages. She just might be one of, if not the only gfs on the planet to buy that record for their bf.

Sobriquet

So Built to Spill has a free poster available at RSD, but not at any Vegas locations. :(

Hopefully one of my friends in LA will be able to pick one up for me.

pablito

Holy shit, I guess Coachwhips records went up in prices after Thee Oh Sees blew big? They used to available everywhere.

Yeah they're a decent amount now. Don't want to pay 40-50 if I can get it at RSD cheaper. Especially if it has new packaging/inserts etc.

I haven' had the chance to do an RSD since I started listening to vinyl, what is it like? I know people queue up before hand, but is it a mad rush looking through the shelves or is it some single file ordeal where you get to the counter, say the records you want to buy, and they either have them or don't?

I am in a smaller town so I don't expect it to be too insane.

Shiv47

I haven' had the chance to do an RSD since I started listening to vinyl, what is it like? I know people queue up before hand, but is it a mad rush looking through the shelves or is it some single file ordeal where you get to the counter, say the records you want to buy, and they either have them or don't?

I am in a smaller town so I don't expect it to be too insane.

My store does the "line up and ask for what you want" method, which works pretty well, if really tedious. I'm not bothering with RSD this year, as the items I wanted last year I easily found after the fact, and I'm imagining it'll be the same this time. I'd rather sleep in, to be honest.

Top Bottom