• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

number11

Don't think this has been mentioned yet, but both Inception and The Dark Knight have been repressed.

So glad to finally own both these records without paying $100+

My store does the "line up and ask for what you want" method, which works pretty well, if really tedious. I'm not bothering with RSD this year, as the items I wanted last year I easily found after the fact, and I'm imagining it'll be the same this time. I'd rather sleep in, to be honest.

Thanks for the feedback. That makes it feel like I should go at least once (not a fan of the pure chaos mad dashes). I really only want two records, and I've never done and RSD before, so might as well support the local shop.

Shiv47

Thanks for the feedback. That makes it feel like I should go at least once (not a fan of the pure chaos mad dashes). I really only want two records, and I've never done and RSD before, so might as well support the local shop.

Depending what you're looking for, and how big of an area you live in, prepare to line up early. See if they know how many they got so you have an idea of what your chances of getting a title are. My local shop has people start lining up the night before, which I imagine happens at a lot of places. You never know what people are going out for though, and hopefully you don't get too many flippers ahead of you. If you miss out on a title, past experience has shown that many shops will get further stock of some RSD titles in the week or two after tomorrow, and prices on Discogs and other sites will gradually come down as well, aside from maybe a few super rare/hot items. It's worth checking out though, as you said, especially if you have a shop that really gets into it.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
No one in SF was carrying those two Todd Terje/KC and the Sunshine band remixes... guess I'm paying the kicked up price on discogs :(

Sobriquet

I just went through the RSD list again and there is a ton that I want. I'm going to have to pare this down. :|

Especially with the $70 J5 box and the $170 Ministry box. Fuck.

wenis

Heading out now to pick through the scraps. Wonder if I'll get lucky and find something cool.

Lined up 10 min before store opening and 54th in line. I think I should be able to at least get one album on my list (nothing super limited). Fingers crossed.

Edit: 1 for 4. At leas two of my misses will be available later in the year.

BeeDog

Bankrupt after today's RSD shopping, and I didn't even find the two records I was after (Amon Tobin - Dark Jovian, nowhere to be found in Sweden apparently and the Run The Jewels edition).

Anyway, shopping list:

- Brambles - Half-Gramme Holiday
- BANKS - The Remixes Part 2
- The Prodigy feat. Sleaford Mods - Ibiza
- A$AP Rocky - LPFJ2 / Multiply
- Jon Hopkins - I Remember (incl. Nils Frahm Remix)
- The Bee Gees - Extended (for my dad)

Bankrupt after today's RSD shopping, and I didn't even find the two records I was after (Amon Tobin - Dark Jovian, nowhere to be found in Sweden apparently and the Run The Jewels edition).

Ah shit, I didnt realise that was part of it. Didnt bother going as I didnt see much on the list.

Macadinho

Banned
I got the Sex Pistols limited edition "Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols" with the yellow front and pink back which is I wanted this year. I went looking for some of the 1975 special edition EP's as well but heard they're super rare and were sold out of the three places I tried. Otherwise the store I was in was so crowded. Most of the Record Store Day special stuff was gone when I got in. I was lucky as well as it was the last Sex Pistols LP they had left

59efe3486a4d081fa434440276b58757.png

Goddamn flippers drive me nuts. Sometimes I get the feeling that RSD just helps those people out and screws over anyone living in rural areas. $120 for Get Behind Me Satan is insane, it doesn't even appear to be that limited.

wenis

Goddamn flippers drive me nuts. Sometimes I get the feeling that RSD just helps those people out and screws over anyone living in rural areas. $120 for Get Behind Me Satan is insane, it doesn't even appear to be that limited.

its getting a normal pressing after this batch. just wait, it'll be easier to find and the flippers will get fucked with their special "RSD release" LP's.

Had a great haul. Waited in line for an hour or so, luckily my store had pretty much everything I wanted:

Clutch - From Beale Street to Oblivion
Drake - If You're Reading This It's Too Late (fairly sure it's a bootleg but it was too novel to pass up)
Electric Wizard - Time to Die
Lego Movie OST
Oneotrix Point Never - Commissions II
Shogun Assassin OST
Run the Jewels - whatever they're calling this release
Vampire Weekend - Step 12" Single
The White Stripes - Get Behind Me Satan
Wu Tang - Protect Ya Neck

Couldn't find Brand New - Deja Entendu or Shugo Tokumaru - LST, sadly, but I found pretty much everything else I was after!

Erekiddo

I camped out for 13 hours last year for the only Cake boxset at my store.

Was tempted to camp out again this year, but it was grueling. Shopped online this year. Kills the spirit of RSD, but -

Polaris - Music From The Adventures Of Pete and Pete
White Stripes - Get Behind Me Satan
Goldfrapp - Felt Mountain
Surfer Blood - Astro Mountain

I'm content.

Flynn

I got:

Dead Milkmen - Beezelbubba
Shogun Assassin OST
and No Life Til Leather cassette

I went to the store specifically for Carcass -- "Prime Cuts" which they had ordered specifically for me, but they put it on the shelf by mistake and even though I showed up at 10:05 somebody else already grabbed it. I was kinda pissed.

WEGGLES

Had a great haul. Waited in line for an hour or so, luckily my store had pretty much everything I wanted:

Clutch - From Beale Street to Oblivion
Drake - If You're Reading This It's Too Late (fairly sure it's a bootleg but it was too novel to pass up)
Lego Movie OST
Oneotrix Point Never - Commissions II
Shogun Assassin OST
Run the Jewels - whatever they're calling this release
Vampire Weekend - Step 12" Single
The White Stripes - Get Behind Me Satan
Wu Tang - Protect Ya Neck

Couldn't find Brand New - Deja Entendu or Shugo Tokumaru - LST, sadly, but I found pretty much everything else I was after!
How much was Protect ya neck?

It was OUTRAGEOUSLY over priced at my store. Most stuff was reasonably priced for rsd but protect ya neck was $35. Just curious if it was that expensive elsewhere.

Macadinho

Banned
Went looking online for some of the 1975 EP's I missed out on, most have 6 days of bidding left and are already past $30. A collection of all four of them has a bid of over $200! So stupid that Ebay basically facilitates these assholes.

I just sacked it all off, went to a bootsale today and picked up a near mint copy of 808's and heartbrakes and a couple of other albums for £20

Shiv47

I wanted the Oneohtrix Point Never release from yeaterday, and added it to my Discogs want list. My next want list email had several copies, all for like $40-50 before shipping. Last year's OPN RSD release is still easily available for $20ish, so why bother scalping the new one? Are there that many clueless types who will still overpay at this point?

wenis

I wanted the Oneohtrix Point Never release from yeaterday, and added it to my Discogs want list. My next want list email had several copies, all for like $40-50 before shipping. Last year's OPN RSD release is still easily available for $20ish, so why bother scalping the new one? Are there that many clueless types who will still overpay at this point?
That and the scampers are about as dumb as the people buying it. It's just a cycle of dumb.

WEGGLES

Wow that sucks. It was 17 bucks for me.

And that was an outlier. Horn of Plenty was $18. The various singles were $7-12 or so. Was blown away when I saw it at $35.... for a 12" single. (Not surprising that it was still available when I got to my record shop around 3pm)

Greyvvolf

I stopped at 2 of my local stores and they didn't have anything I wanted. I ended up buying everything online at cost. Hopefully I don't get a refund or anything due to stock issues.

Run The Jewels - RSD15
Shogun Assassin - OST
J Dilla - Die Cut Police Badge
Metallica - No Life 'Til Leather Tape

BeeDog

Does anyone know any UK-based online shop which sells RSD stuff? I feel I need to go on a hunt for the Run The Jewels vinyl, but not having any luck.

number11

Does anyone know any UK-based online shop which sells RSD stuff? I feel I need to go on a hunt for the Run The Jewels vinyl, but not having any luck.

All the leftovers get put back on sale on Saturday (Friday night). Some UK stores with online sites..

Rough Trade
Banquet
Pucadilly Records
Norman

Not sure if there's any left, but apparently Rough Trade still had copies of the RTJ record on Monday.

Well at least my one RSD pickup is pretty looking. Love the sound track, but I knew that before I bought it.

al3g4jjl.jpg

Vyu4xYWm.jpg

Damn that looks nice. Love this soundtrack.

I ended up skipping RSD this year but I'm going to look around online for the 3 records I wanted: Darjeerling Limited OST, RTJ single, Deja Entendu. Deja is the only one I'm really worried about since that was apparently a bitch to find on Saturday.

Damn that looks nice. Love this soundtrack.

I ended up skipping RSD this year but I'm going to look around online for the 3 records I wanted: Darjeerling Limited OST, RTJ single, Deja Entendu. Deja is the only one I'm really worried about since that was apparently a bitch to find on Saturday.

Isn't Deja a RSD first, not exclusive? As in it will be released later in the year? What was special about the RSD release other than early access, was it colored vinyl?

Isn't Deja a RSD first, not exclusive? As in it will be released later in the year? What was special about the RSD release other than early access, was it colored vinyl?

Oh nice, I was under the impression it was exclusive. They'd be stupid not to repress it given the demand. I can wait in that case.

Shiv47

I would have loved a copy of The Moomins theme 7" that Finders Keepers released on RSD, but it's looking like that's gonna be one to forget, as copies on eBay are already up over the $120 mark. Did score the Oneohtrix release for under $20 though.

amnesiac

RSD pickups:

8e3ULyr.jpg

Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowell: Limited clear vinyl edition. Check this out if you haven't, it's my AOTY so far...

Polaris - Music from the Adventures of Pete and Pete: Main reason I went to Record Store Day. Wanted this album on vinyl since I started collecting.

Foo Fighters - Songs from the Laundry Room: These are Dave Grohl's early demos for the first album. I like his take on Kids In America.

Grizzly Bear - Horn of Plenty: Clear black splatter vinyl. It's probably my least favorite Grizzly Bear album since Daniel Rossen didn't join the band yet, but it's pretty good nonetheless.

Brian Eno - My Squelchy Life: An overlooked RSD release. Didn't see anyone else pick this up. It's an unreleased album that was pulled and replaced with Nerve Net.

Also got this in from Bull Moose today:

brVmeCC.jpg

It's the Red House Painters box set. These were limited to 1500, and they were only available for a very short time on the 4AD and Bull Moose websites. Most went to indie shops, though most only got one or two. This set includes the first four Red House Painters albums and the Shock Me EP, which is added on side D of Ocean Beach. All of the records are on bronze-colored vinyl (as pictured). If you missed out, you can preorder the individual releases that are coming out in August at 4AD's website.

Todays stuff:

vd7Csy4.png

Still sealed Persuaders LP, second AUS pressing of first Saints LP, last Jay Reatard 7" and a Reigning Sound split plus Mommy and Slender tapes, Hank Wood pin (!) and a Total Control shirt.

Top Bottom