• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

The new Third Man Records vault package finally showed up! It's The Dead Weather's new album Dodge & Burn, with a 7"of I Feel Love.
QAGz5UY.png
The cover has some sparkles and stuff, and when you open it up, it screams (think of something like those greeting cards with sound in them). The album itself is pretty good, though admittedly, I'm not the biggest Dead Weather fan.

Atrophis

How do you actually order, I don't see any links at the site, the Shinobi 3 soundtrack seems to be available...

I'm assuming these are all unauthorized bootlegs though...they seem to be recording directly from Genesis units.

If you are interested sign up to their mailing list. They send out codes when a pre-order goes up. Codes get sent out in batches to stop their site crashing and to give everyone equal chance to order what they want. It worked well when their first two releases went up for sale.

I believe the first two releases will be reissued soon. Shinobi goes up for order tomorrow and will ship within a week. Hang On is up for pre-order in November time I think.

They have SoR 2 and 3 and Out Run coming next year.

Help, I've bought over a hundred records this year. I want to buy a house

So I can buy MORE vinyl!

Be aware! Owning a home, with a nice big living room so I can display and listen to my records has resulted in my record collection ballooning. Probably from 30ish records in March 2013 to 250 or so now.

C4Lukins

I got some recent stuff. I would like to post pictures, but it would be a pain to do with the device I am currently using.

1. Chvrches new album
2. Metrics new album
3. It Follows Soundtrack
4. Aliens Soundtrack
5. The Guest Soundtrack
6. Garbage self titled

BeeDog

Does anyone else feel like they've become addicted to buying vinyls? I've had that feeling for a very long time but am completely unable to break the pattern. The main reason is that I follow quite specific (mostly techno) labels who all have limited runs. After the initial pressing, most releases usually become quite expensive, and I always have the urge to fill up the discography.

Ugh!

I got some recent stuff. I would like to post pictures, but it would be a pain to do with the device I am currently using.

6. Garbage self titled

I assume the original release? Or did you get the new pink pressing?

I kinda want the pink one. I bought the 1998 Version 2.0 vinyl a while back, love it.

RP912

Banned
Any particular reason it needs to be from Amazon? Still available from other places for the same price.

I had some Amazon gift cards that I wanted to use towards the copy, but I'll just settle for the mp3 version :/.

Still in stock

edit: Whoops I only just noticed the "Usually ships within 1 to 2 months."

Yeah I got the letter saying that they ran out of stock, even though I preordered the copy. I ended up getting three other records though...so I feel better about the bad news :/.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Any of you fellas live in Seattle? What's your favorite vinyl shop? I've been to 6 or 7, and WallOfSound is by far my favorite.

Most of them have fallen off in recent days; everybody just marks their stock according to Discogs so deals are pretty nonexistent.

Silver Platters in SoDo has one of the bigger selections, but terrible layout after a reorganization last year and it's quite unpleasant to browse there now. Never a big fan of Easy Street. I like the just-in bins at Everyday Music but not much else. The ones in Ballard and Fremont don't offer me anything significant in pricing or selection to warrant the bus ride (the dude running Jive Time is super knowledgeable, at least). I do like checking Wall of Sound occasionally for the weird assortment of stuff he gets, even if I rarely want to buy any of it.

Most of them have fallen off in recent days; everybody just marks their stock according to Discogs so deals are pretty nonexistent.

Silver Platters in SoDo has one of the bigger selections, but terrible layout after a reorganization last year and it's quite unpleasant to browse there now. Never a big fan of Easy Street. I like the just-in bins at Everyday Music but not much else. The ones in Ballard and Fremont don't offer me anything significant in pricing or selection to warrant the bus ride (the dude running Jive Time is super knowledgeable, at least). I do like checking Wall of Sound occasionally for the weird assortment of stuff he gets, even if I rarely want to buy any of it.

Sounds similar to my experiences. At least I'm not alone :)

Wolfe

I would even still check half price books while I was still up in Seattle, picked up quite a few albums that way.

nitewulf

Amazon ran out of vinyl copies of The Epic :(

It feels so bad....

let me interject, this is one album you might want to go lossless digital. they cramped 3 hours of music on 3 disks...the vinyls are most likely severely dynamically limited.

RP912

Banned
let me interject, this is one album you might want to go lossless digital. they cramped 3 hours of music on 3 disks...the vinyls are most likely severely dynamically limited.

Touche'...one of the biggest turnoffs of the vinyl release is the fact that they changed the tracklisting so it can fit on all three records. I have a weird OCD about tracklistings being all over the place :/

Guess it's no issue having the album digitally.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
From all reports it seems that they did their due diligence in the mastering process for this album. Guess you'll need to hear to believe. Just need to find someone who bought a copy.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Does anyone else feel like they've become addicted to buying vinyls? I've had that feeling for a very long time but am completely unable to break the pattern. The main reason is that I follow quite specific (mostly techno) labels who all have limited runs. After the initial pressing, most releases usually become quite expensive, and I always have the urge to fill up the discography.

Ugh!
I'm not into small labels like that, so I don't fall into their trap, but with stuff like the Earthbound vinyl releases, I feel obligated to buy because I know it'll just cost more money to buy it later on.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Recent enough pickups.
wy3chEnl.jpg

New Order - Power, Corruption & Lies
U.S. Girls - Gems
Rick James - Come Get It
U.S. Girls - Go Grey
CSS - Cansei De Ser Sexy
U.S. Girls - Introducing...

Took a trip to Zion's Gate and oh my god, I was in heaven. I need to go back there some time. I'll take proper pictures when I'm unpacked but I had a crazy haul. Amazing store for metal and electronic.

I've been wanting to check out the actual storefront for hella days. Pretty much a go-to distro on Discogs since I've been listening to vinyl.

Potato quality picture but now I am only missing one Jay Reatard record (split with Thee Oh Sees, which incidentally might be the worst of them)

12071429_993665864041738_597963586_n.jpg

Not the biggest fan of the Black Swan soundtrack, but seeing the Mondo vinyl pop up on eBay has made me thirsty for vinyl pressings of Requiem for a Dream and The Fountain.

I need them.

RP912

Banned
Waiting on my haul and my Vinyl Me Please package.

So far I got these records on the way:

Melody Gardot's first three albums
Christion'- Ghetto Cyrano (good album)
J Dilla- Donuts
Blessed Feathers (VMP record for October)
Skylar Spence- Prom King

Hello everyone !

My name is A Lover So Funky, I've been lurking in this thread for quite some time as music collecting is certainly something I do appreciate. Right now my collection consist mainly of CDs but I have a few vinyls, mostly what people would consider ''junk'' (not the biggest fan of the term).
I would love to invest more on vinyls in the near future. Right now the only device I can play records on is a cheap 80's turntable with a pretty questionable amp that my family doesn't really care to maintain. It sucks basically.

So I'm pretty interested in buying my own turntable, price range up to 550$CAND, I already have an amplifier and a really good pair of headphones (Hifiman HE-500) so I'm ready to spend a little bit more on the thing.
The one turn table that caught my eyes was the Audio Technica ATL-120 as I've heard great things about that particular turntables. Before you ask, I don't really care for the USB capabilities but I do care that it's a whole package thing. Plus if I had to buy a turntable that needs a pre-amp, my amplifier doesn't have a phono input and I don't want to change my amplifier which cost me quite a bit when I bought it.

So, what are your thoughts ?

Another thing, I can't seem to register on Discogs. I was able to create an account but whenever they said they've sent a confirmation e-mail, there's nothing in my inbox. And before you ask, I've tried everything: checking my spam, resending three times the confirmation code, tried another e-mail, checked the FAQ for answers, nothing !

Anyway guys have a nice day !

I just got the AT 120 recently, as a moving company I stored my college stuff with over the summer busted my other table, an Akai LP-40 (or something, it was used). It is a drastic step up from my previous table, noticeable sound quality increase. I don't use the Pre-Amp that's built in (I have a reciever I line-in directly to), but I've read that the pre-amp in the AP 120 isn't great. It adds a slight hum to the sound, and plenty of people recommend you rip it out, and there are a dozen video tutorials to show you how. Supposedly it sneaks in if you are going to a reciever, but I haven't noticed it.

Worth noting, The AT 120 is an entirely manual turntable. You must carefully balance the tone arm weight, anti-skate and needle height. It will not return the tone arm at the end of a record. The pro side of this is you can play weird size and shaped records, and run things at 33, 45, 78, forwards, backwards, or at a speed you set manually.

I used the USB out twice, once to record a strange ARG bit on a soundtrack record (Super Time Force) and to make sound effects for a small project, and the USB out sounds great, if you want to digitize things.

Can't help you with the Discogs thing. I signed up 4 days ago, and had no problems.

Chinner

Banned
Hello everyone !

My name is A Lover So Funky, I've been lurking in this thread for quite some time as music collecting is certainly something I do appreciate. Right now my collection consist mainly of CDs but I have a few vinyls, mostly what people would consider ''junk'' (not the biggest fan of the term).
I would love to invest more on vinyls in the near future. Right now the only device I can play records on is a cheap 80's turntable with a pretty questionable amp that my family doesn't really care to maintain. It sucks basically.

So I'm pretty interested in buying my own turntable, price range up to 550$CAND, I already have an amplifier and a really good pair of headphones (Hifiman HE-500) so I'm ready to spend a little bit more on the thing.
The one turn table that caught my eyes was the Audio Technica ATL-120 as I've heard great things about that particular turntables. Before you ask, I don't really care for the USB capabilities but I do care that it's a whole package thing. Plus if I had to buy a turntable that needs a pre-amp, my amplifier doesn't have a phono input and I don't want to change my amplifier which cost me quite a bit when I bought it.

So, what are your thoughts ?

Another thing, I can't seem to register on Discogs. I was able to create an account but whenever they said they've sent a confirmation e-mail, there's nothing in my inbox. And before you ask, I've tried everything: checking my spam, resending three times the confirmation code, tried another e-mail, checked the FAQ for answers, nothing !

Anyway guys have a nice day !

I heard good things about the AT 120, its a good entry level player. I have a Rega RP1, same kid of price, and I have no complains.

I contacted discoggs directly to remedy my situation and now it's all fine. For some reason my account got blocked instantly for no reason. Strange.

Anyway here's my humble collection.

I mostly have stuff in the rock/metal spectrum but I have a few other things like Cuban music. Love me some traditional Cuban music. Obviously there's some stuff I don't listen to anymore as there's some CDs I bought when I was a teenagers (I bet you can guess which ones I bought at the time).
Probably the rarest thing I have is Amaseffer - Slave For Life CD which is a underground prog/symphonic/world metal band which is awesome. I don't check often but when I did, it never showed up on Ebay, neither Amazon and I think the record label don't even list the project anymore. It's not expensive but hey !

Snippity snip

Thanks for the informations, I'll try to keep the built-in pre-amp in mind and the fact that the turntable is entirely manual, I wasn't expecting it to be so at that price. Oh well, I'll figure it out somehow :p

EDIT: Oh I should've mentioned, anyone interested in Kendrick Lamar's To Pimp A Butterfly vinyl, the date got delayed, the website says it's reported to the 23rd but the record store I went to said it will be released the 30th. I will assume the 30th is for my area and 23rd is for the USA.

amnesiac

I think I'm going to have to severely cut down on purchasing used vinyl online. 10 out of the 20 transactions on Discogs in the past year have been massively overgraded. I realize that mistakes happen but sometimes it's like the seller doesn't even take a look at the record before grading it. Near mint ends up being very good plus most of the time, and very good plus ends up being very good. Ugh.

robotrock

Banned
My brother gifted me a three month VMP sub and got the first record today! I guess I have to make this cocktail first but then I'll spin it.

I think I'm going to have to severely cut down on purchasing used vinyl online. 10 out of the 20 transactions on Discogs in the past year have been massively overgraded. I realize that mistakes happen but sometimes it's like the seller doesn't even take a look at the record before grading it. Near mint ends up being very good plus most of the time, and very good plus ends up being very good. Ugh.

Yep. It sucks as a user without many transactions, too. I'm afraid to leave the seller bad feedback 'cause then they'll do the same to me, but I have so little feedback it hurts me more. I've just started being super selective. If a seller has even one or two feedbacks saying they suck at grading, I stay away.

Greyvvolf

Exact same situation for me with Discogs. The first transaction was great; paid at cost, great shipping costs to Canada, and even shipped it within 2 hours. After that though, it's been horrible. Now I ask for pictures before I buy from someone. That's how bad it's become.

Top Bottom