• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

ngower

All the The World's Lousy... comps are excellent. Almost Ready Records is a great label and it's sister labels Mighty Mouth and especially Last Laugh are pretty much best things ever.

Send your moneys Harry. Do it: http://www.almostreadyrecords.com/

DOOO IIIIT

I sold almost all of my Vivian Girls records in a purge these past few years (out of necessity) so when I noticed the cover art and it was only $5, I just said fuck it. After an initial spin, I regret nothing.

Steamlord

Press Color is awesome, but my favorite Lizzy Mercier Descloux release is the Rosa Yemen EP. It's great that it's included in the reissue.

So it's getting to the point where my record brush and little cleaner isn't cutting it anymore. Works nice to get the dust off but a lot of my old albums need a deep cleaning.

What do you guys do to clean records? I've been considering the Spin Clean, but going by a lot of reviews, it's just a glorified dust remover. Even though they're really expensive, I've been thinking about investing in a record cleaning machine. A lot of those manual methods with dish soap and whatnot seem questionable and take up a ton of time: a real record cleaning machine would take care of those problems.

for casual listening I'll just use a lightly dampened microfiber cloth and air dry for a few minutes. If I wanna archive some stuff or for focused listening I use this thing called the Groovmaster. Here's a great demo. I got mine direct from the dude on eBay. I haven't actually been using any cleaning fluid. A simple sink wash will address the static and the dust that goes with pretty effectively, way better than a dry brushing will. Dry with a microfiber cloth, let sit for a little while and you're done. I consider this a pretty regular part of my pre-listening ritual and it takes like 15 minutes. If I ever wanna go for a deep clean I'll just do the same thing but with MoFi cleaner. I would love a VPI but I can't justify it at the price based on my needs and I'm pretty content with the system I have working. I would like to incorporate a vacuum somehow, will look into some DIY setups.

andylsun

Not rare or expensive but thrilled to pick this up. Lovely condition and plays great

pNjewDkl.jpg

And always good finding some bomb the bass

KkDGmkol.jpg

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I see that Panasonic is set to relaunch the Technics line again next year.

I can see them charging boutique prices for them, well at least according to the dolled-up one in the photo I saw. But how much you guys think they'll range for? Panasonic has good equipment these days, but I wonder if this still stays the same level it was known for...

amnesiac

Some pickups from the past few weeks.

Stars of the Lid - The Tired Sounds of Stars of the Lid
Stars of the Lid - And Their Refinement of the Decline
Dennis Wilson - Pacific Ocean Blue
Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden
Talk Talk - Laughing Stock
Joy Division - Substance

Been listening to the Stars of the Lid albums all night. They sound wonderful and I'm glad they are in print again.

Last edited:

Kaevum (NOR) - Natur LP (Darker than Black; Sabbath's Fire 2011)
Kaevum (NOR) - Kosmos Erwache 2LP (Purity Through Fire 2013)

Dark Fury (POL) - Saligia LP (Frenteuropa 2011)
Dark Fury (POL) - Carnivore EP (Lower Silesian Stronghold 2015)
Dark Fury (POL) - After the Battle EP (Frenteuropa 2009)
Nordvrede (NOR) - Confrontation LP (Darker than Black 2015)

Bought tons of records while I was banned but haven't took much pictures but here's some random choice cuts:

Reatards - Grown Up Fucked Enough is probably my favorite record ever. Goner reissued the LP (with Your So Lewd 7" included, which I should have included in this photo!) so of course I had to buy those:
eT7h08k.png

Clear reissue, regular reissue, original LP on black + original CD and reissue CD

This was an good saturday haul:
A0A2gjU.png

etc. etc.

8bit

Knows the Score
Mondo's pressing has both discs as white with silver centre, MoV are blue & yellow marbled. Other than the colours I don't think they've from the same batches, but would need to check the runout grooves to be sure (I have both as Mondo took their time in getting them ready and I thought that order was cancelled).

Ah, you could be right. They have the same barcode readout, though, I think, which is why I thought they were the same discs.

Mondo's pressing has both discs as white with silver centre, MoV are blue & yellow marbled. Other than the colours I don't think they've from the same batches, but would need to check the runout grooves to be sure (I have both as Mondo took their time in getting them ready and I thought that order was cancelled).

I'm shocked.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Selling on Discogs (or anywhere, I guess) can be such a rollercoaster. Mailed a $200 album off to Germany back in July, buyer filed a Paypal claim last week saying that he'd never received it. I had initially asked if he was going to be pay for insurance or tracking and he declined -- probably should've gotten it regardless and taken a minor profit loss, but anyway...

Was about to bite the bullet and refund the money since Paypal never sides with a seller, when DHL (who USPS apparently hands it off to for overseas delivery) miraculously drops the package off at my place today after two months, unopened and undamaged. Now I don't know if the guy's still going to want the thing or if I'll just refund it and hope to sell to someone in the US this time. Just happy it's not lost in the ether after all!

ngower

How Could You Babe is such an excellent track. I'll need to give that Tobias Esso Jr. album a proper play-through some day.

Was banned and picked up a few good finds during the Newbury Comics 25% off sale/since my last post:

Arthur Russell's "Corn," and the Dinosaur L comp.
Slowdive's "Soulvaki"
Smashing Pumpkin's "Gish"
a Chad Van Gaalen 7"

Also invested in some of the MoFi inner sleeves, which are well worth it! Trying to hold onto every penny for a trip to Montreal net weekend, but after that it's open season on my wallet. HELP!

C4Lukins

So does anyone have some really valuable shit?

It is strange because a Beatles original White album is worth nothing because millions of people own it, and it has been rereleased a lot of times.

Looking at the Internet, the stuff I bought in the late 90's early 2000's seems to be valuable stuff.

So I bought original Radiohead, and some rare things like REM New Adventures in HI Fi, and Monster. I buy all Pearl Jam albums, so No Code, Yield, Binaural, Self Titled, Rearviewmirror Greatest Hits, and especially Benaroya Hall which was limited all seem to sell high.

More recently I got the Sleater Kinney discography with the colored limited edition vinyl. I have a lot of stuff like that. Some early Regina Spector that seems to sell at crazy prices. Just curious what gems some of you have.

CRS

Most valuable LP is probably a Captain Murphy's Dualities LP.

Followed by something like Demon Days since it's never been reprinted.

C4Lukins

Most valuable LP is probably a Captain Murphy's Dualities LP.

Followed by something like Demon Days since it's never been reprinted.

It seems like you can get Demon Days on Ebay for 400. I have a few records going for more. I know the Beatles have one that is super rare. I need to look it up, but it involved the band members with doll parts and raw meat hanging from them. I need to look it up.

Ok it is the Yesterday and Today Butcher Cover. Worth 15,000 according to a website I visited.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?...819&thid=JN.C+M386AERqvppOC6BhEeYw&ajaxhist=0

It is strange because a Beatles original White album is worth nothing because millions of people own it, and it has been rereleased a lot of times.

Looking at the Internet, the stuff I bought in the late 90's early 2000's seems to be valuable stuff.

So I bought original Radiohead, and some rare things like REM New Adventures in HI Fi, and Monster. I buy all Pearl Jam albums, so No Code, Yield, Binaural, Self Titled, Rearviewmirror Greatest Hits, and especially Benaroya Hall which was limited all seem to sell high.

More recently I got the Sleater Kinney discography with the colored limited edition vinyl. I have a lot of stuff like that. Some early Regina Spector that seems to sell at crazy prices. Just curious what gems some of you have.

The most valuable things I have outside of some Mondo soundtracks (which are inflated, imo) are some Nine Inch Nails records.

I have an original pressing of Broken with the 7" of bonus tracks, as well as some post cards and promo material for the vinyl. Also have The Fragile on vinyl with a promo photo that's numbered of Trent recording the record.

I also have some original pressings of the first 4 Tori Amos records, but those seemed to have lost value recently. I still treasure them though!

Copped the Evangelion soundtrack. :)

tumblr_nul1zc85Ht1qdzoq5o1_400.jpg

Awesome! Where can I actually order this? CDJapan?

I have Gorillaz - Demon Days which is in the $300 range these days, and White Stripes - Get Behind Me Satan, which is in the 70-100 range too. Some of my random metal stuff is probably worth a bit too, but those are the heavy hitters I think.

I have some random stuff here and there that have kept their value over the years, but the only one that I've notice really go up in price was Frances the Mute by Mars Volta. I bought it for $50 when it first came out and it goes for around $200 today.

Some Adult Swim stuff has gained some value too. The original Dethklok album goes for over $100 now and I've seen the Venture Bros soundtrack go for around the same. I bought each of those for $20 on release.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow

I usually sell my valuable LPs when I realize they're worth some money, hah. Mostly odd/obscure Japanese groups or assorted stuff in the $200-300 range.

Super envious of your New Adventures in Hi-Fi, though. I'd love for that to be reprinted.

Top Bottom