• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

C4Lukins

So not sure where else to put this, but I recall discussing seeing Garbage on their most recent tour. So I saw them in Austin a couple of days ago, and it was a bit disappointing. I mean their first two albums are their best, but it was a really strange set.

So they played all off the debut album, but out of order, and played maybe 3 songs off of 2.0. Then they played a few obscure B-sides, and then maybe a total of 3 songs off of their the last 3 albums. I get that it was a 20th anniversary sort of remember the first album show, but I had already seen them a couple of times back in those early days. It was a little sad.

So not sure where else to put this, but I recall discussing seeing Garbage on their most recent tour. So I saw them in Austin a couple of days ago, and it was a bit disappointing. I mean their first two albums are their best, but it was a really strange set.

So they played all off the debut album, but out of order, and played maybe 3 songs off of 2.0. Then they played a few obscure B-sides, and then maybe a total of 3 songs off of their the last 3 albums. I get that it was a 20th anniversary sort of remember the first album show, but I had already seen them a couple of times back in those early days. It was a little sad.

I'm confused, are you disappointed because they weren't great live?

If you're disappointed at the set list, these shows were listed as a 20th anniversary show playing the self-titled album in full. I've been to shows like this, and it's very rare that other songs are played outside of what is advertised. I'd say having a few more songs thrown into the mix was just an extra and I'd be happy about that, but that's just me.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Just bought a Spin Clean. It's getting my records surprisingly clean and lovely looking. Just spun one of my noisier copies of Talking Heads - Speaking in Tongues and it sounds amazing! Way better than it initially ever did. There's still a bit of surface noise, but a little time in an anti-static bag and later down the line another cleaning and that should clear up.

Excellent purchase! Now about 500+ more records to clean ;)

Just bought a Spin Clean. It's getting my records surprisingly clean and lovely looking. Just spun one of my noisier copies of Talking Heads - Speaking in Tongues and it sounds amazing! Way better than it initially ever did. There's still a bit of surface noise, but a little time in an anti-static bag and later down the line another cleaning and that should clear up.

Excellent purchase! Now about 500+ more records to clean ;)

What exactly do you do with an anti-static bag, just let it sit in there?

wenis

What exactly do you do with an anti-static bag, just let it sit in there?
Well it's an inner sleeve. It's supposed to kill any static while it sits on the shelf in the original jacket. It's just a good upgrade to take when you start getting serious about the cleaning process. Much better than paper and doesn't leave those flakes like paper does, nor does it attract dust.

Moozo

Bought an LP-60 to replace my old thing. Impressed and now much easier for me to just put a record on so will undoubtedly be listening to a lot more now.

Next on the list, speakers. Looking at ~£100 price range, anyone got any suggestions?

hipster-vinyl-500x665.png
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8yx3yug5lo

big ander

Semi-recent pickups/arrivals:
Very recent (today) pickups:
Top to bottom: Alex G - Beach Music, all dogs - 7", Spencer Radcliffe - Looking In, Earn - A Following Shadow, Beach House - Thank Your Lucky Stars
Some colors and art:
Beach Music came with a whole bonus 12" of a live show, which is awesome.
Looking In has an entire extra screenprinted cover and an extra inner sleeve for the record—honestly it's all inconvenient more than anything. I thought the main cover would fit inside the screenprinted outer cover but nope! You just kind of have two covers and two record sleeves and...get to pick which you're using at the moment I guess? Seems like an attempt at a cool extra gone superfluous.
I'm trying to make it a habit of checking out Amoeba's tiny experimental section when I'm in there, seems like that's where there'll be actual deals and interesting finds. Past couple trips I've seen cool records for $8-$15, and that's what Earn is. Never heard of Earn, but I saw on the back Sean McCann mastered it and I liked the cover. Was only able to listen to the first track but it sounds nice!

IronRinn

Just keep in mind, that is the artwork for the box set. The artwork for the albums sold individually are by a different artist (and are still pretty great).

Make sure that you have about 4 hours to spare next time you visit Amoeba.

I could only imagine! Sorry, I didn't make it clear, I ordered online off Amoeba.com, which I didn't realize is a thing one could do. This puts me one step closer to my life long dream of going to the actual Amoeba. I'm in Canada but I've been hearing about it and wanting to go since I was 14. One day...... one day......

Finally got all the Boards of Canada LPs and EPs.

CR7k8akUwAACwep.jpg:large

Missing the Aquarius 7" (which goes for $200-300), and the Peel Session singles (Not feeling up to paying $25 for 3 tracks)

Amazon is doing some house clearing, here's a BOGO deal on vinyl. Some decent stuff. Snatched up Caracal and Light and Sound for $38 and same day shipping.

Awesome. Christmas for my wife done in October. Got her the John Mayer Paradise Valley and Adele 21. I think that will complete her Mayer collection. Kind of want Don Henley's new album, but $30 is too fucking much.

IrishNinja

Amazon is doing some house clearing, here's a BOGO deal on vinyl. Some decent stuff. Snatched up Caracal and Light and Sound for $38 and same day shipping.

oh shit, good looks wenis! was looking to cop Downward Spiral already, now to just sort out the other - wonder how that Bad 25th anniversary thing was...

wait, doesn't matter - it's either RATM or stankonia

oh shit, good looks wenis! was looking to cop Downward Spiral already, now to just sort out the other - wonder how that Bad 25th anniversary thing was...

I've only heard the 25th Thriller and it sounds pretty bad compared to my original print Thriller. Super tinny sound. I got my original print Bad used from Amazon for cheaper and it is one of my absolute favorite sounding albums. If the 25th anniversary is like Thriller, stat away. Hunt down an older copy.

IrishNinja

^yeah, you know i haven't had great experiences with remasters like that - it's worse in hip hop because sometimes its tracks removed/altered because of samples not really clearing

thanks hero, ive scooped up Thriller & Off the Wall from thrifts/garage sales, confident i can find Bad & Dangerous without too much trouble if i keep looking! the tricky one seems to be HIStory, one of my absolute favorites (Stranger in Moscow is up there with Human Nature for me), i'm assuming they didn't print too many? it looks damn near $100 online sadly

C4Lukins

So 5 new albums

Tilly and the Wall- Bottoms of Barrels
Pink Floyd- The Wall
Ben Folds Five- Whatever and Ever Amen
RHCP- Californication
A Perfect Circle- Mere de Nomi

I will take a photo soon of my last two months haul.

wenis

Stankonia isn't getting great reviews for quality on this reissue. that RATM did decent.

IrishNinja

Stankonia isn't getting great reviews for quality on this reissue. that RATM did decent.

done, RATM was higher up in my mind anyway - wish it was battle of LA but this one's a great album

also wenis where do you go for reviews on reissues? ive picked up a bunch of classic hip hop ones lately and it'd be good to know some specifics

wenis

done, RATM was higher up in my mind anyway - wish it was battle of LA but this one's a great album

also wenis where do you go for reviews on reissues? ive picked up a bunch of classic hip hop ones lately and it'd be good to know some specifics

sometimes discogs comments are good for that, otherwise it's usually the Steve Hoffman forums or other vinyl forums online. Just lots and lots of reading.

Bought a new audio setup today since the system I've been using for the last 10 years finally died on me and I was due for an update.

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB Turntable:
debutcarbonespritsbdc.jpg

Onkyo TX-8160 Receiver:
front_large.jpg

Paradigm Monitor 7 Speakers:
6347896694_1ac5e5a7ba_b.jpg

^
Niiiice.

I got the DC Esprit a few months back and absolutely love it. Got some nice vintage speakers over the summer, too. Need the receiver I want and then my setup will be complete.

zerotol

Banned
This showed up at my house today so I figured I'd find this thread again. It's a remaster of the Steel Pole Bath Tub LP 'Tulip'. I used to watch these guys when I was a teenager and always thought they were great. Singer/guitarist Mike Morasky would go on to work on the Lord of the Ring movies and eventually went to work for Valve. If you remember the song played in one of the Left 4 Dead 2 commercials called 'Train to Miami', that was this band. Green and yellow vinyl limited to 500 I think.

UT8Nzy8.jpg

So, Metallica is putting out a limited (500 copies) 16LP live collection that fans selected. Looks pretty cool:

Apparently there aren't pictures of the inside, but there is a video that shows it. It looks cool. They aren't cheap, but if there are any other crazy Metallica people around, might be an awesome collectors item. I got my order in last night. It actually showed it as sold out this morning, so kind of weird that it's back.

Link to store.

wenis

oh man, if that was classic live metallica, I'd be down. I wonder if they recorded any shows from the 80's.

oh man, if that was classic live metallica, I'd be down. I wonder if they recorded any shows from the 80's.

I wish they'd put out their Live Shit stuff on vinyl since they never have before. These are simply four shows fans voted on from their Met On Tour site, so they're simply soundboard grabs. So, definitely probably more of a collectors item for insane fans than something for normal people who just want to listen to some Metallica. Especially considering that there's no denying they are certainly far from the top of their game performance-wise.

IrishNinja

what are ya'lls most-wanted albums not yet on vinyl?

for me it's hands down Nujabes - Metaphorical Music, with Modal Soul and then Uyama Hiroto - A Son of the Sun at the top of the list. they're some of my favorite music & would absolutely sound brilliant on wax, but alas, Hydeout only wants CD releases for albums so far, and while singles exist, they're $100+ and don't even include some of my favorite tracks...i guess the Samurai Champloo set has a bunch but there's still so many missing. stranger still, Fat Jon has a few LP's out there that i wanna get (fair prices too, for imports) but not my favorite stuff of his either.

I'm going to cheat and say something that has technically been released on vinyl. I want Iron Maiden's Brave New World. There was a limited release picture disc version in the UK, but it goes for about $200, and it's a picture disc. One of my favorite albums of all time. I want a normal black release. Reprint Fear of the Dark while they're at it 'cause it's decently pricey as well.

Two that have actually never had a release at all that I'd like are Zakk Wylde's Book of Shadows and Joe Satriani's Strange Beautiful Music. Both classic albums I was really into back in highschool and neither has been released on vinyl. Lame.

Top Bottom