• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

^nice
i think Blackstar is my only picture disc, those just indicate reprints with an image on the vinyl itself yeah?

I don't know my Blackstar, but it general not all picture disks are reprints if that's what you're asking. Like I said above, that's the only version of Brave New World that exists.

Seemed like they were the hot thing for companies looking to cash in on the vinyl resurgence for a while. Seems like they've kinda dropped off, though. Maybe the companies realized actual vinyl listeners aren't into it.

amnesiac

Some recent purchases.

EcOhVeC.jpg

The Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs 6x10"

HhYI7Le.jpg

The Who - Phases box set. This includes all of their studio albums (plus Live At Leeds) up until Who Are You, which is really all you need. Won this on eBay for only $60.

u3Hzzol.jpg

Biosphere - Substrata
Kate Bush - The Dreaming
Kate Bush - Hounds of Love
New Order - Technique
New Order - Low Life
Mort Garson - Mother Earth's Plantasia

So Mondo lost one of the Mad Max soundtracks I ordered from their MondoCon left overs. Apparently the shipping label was printed but they can't find the actual vinyl and it was never dropped off at USPS.

To compensate, they shipped me a copy of Black Swan! Pretty happy about that, since I don't have to stalk the site to get a copy when they finally go on sale. Ended up buying the Mad Max variant for a $10 markup on eBay.

This one's kinda personal so I thought I'd share :)
My grandma died two weeks ago (loved her so much! Still can't imagine a world without her, really). Apart from helping me out anytime I was in trouble, one of her last great gifts to me was my little record player.
Me and my family weren't financially stable at that time but she convinced my mom to buy one for my birthday two years ago. Awesome! So...I had the record player or a while but no speakers or amp.

I finally bought speakers a few months ago and proudly told her that my days of vinyl-bliss aren't far away. After she died I didn't stop until I had the complete set-up standing in my room,
including a wooden attachment / stand I built for it. Even though positioning may not be perfect yet, blasting my favourite albums feels special now and it sounds GREAT. :)

uVN8v6B.jpg

IrishNinja

Google skills

dammit wenis

like i was bummed that my copy of Liquid Swords lacks B.I.B.L.E., can't sort out why - on discogs i found an EU one with it, and another track i don't know, but it's missing some others...gonna assume sample clearances came up later or some shit?

So I've committed to organizing my record collection next weekend. Thankfully Discogs lets you export an excel file so that I have everything already in alphabetical order but this is still going to be an awful experience. If I can give one piece of advice to anyone it's never let your collection get disorganized.

IrishNinja

see...
i gotta take pics, but i basically have whatever the expedit became. the top row & 1st shelf of row 2 are all hip hop, so im debating getting some manilla dividers just to separate them by letters.

next slot is funk, soul & R&B, after that is rock & classic rock, and the last one is jazz, techno, industrial etc. they're mostly alphabetical but if its a small section (like jazz is right now) it starts with whatever the fuck i want, which is Kind of Blue.

remaining shelves are disorganized messes of DJ donated hip hop/reggae/etc stuff i have to sort through and see what id like to keep or sell/trade. this system works for me so far!

If I can give one piece of advice to anyone it's never let your collection get disorganized.

Or even better: stop organizing them!

Pros:

- Finding neat stuff all the time while looking for a certain record
- Not having to organize records
- Flipping through records is fun
- Keeping records in order sucks especially when you are low on shelve space / need new baskets for 7"'s etc.
- If still want to micromanage your collections, sort them by artists or loose periods of time or whatever, alphabetical order suuucksss asss if you buy a lot of records

and most of all

Most of the times you also have a slight idea where a certain record is. I used to have records in some order, but I play records as a DJ quite often and putting the records back was just awful in practice.

:)

IrishNinja

haha i dig that madness but i also like organizing stuff

the real mission is now that i got some kit from amazon (its basically a brush and some bottle of whatever liquid) trying to clean up the records themselves, a number of them still smell like the clubs they were spun in, haha - not to mention im sure a few skips/etc are from dirt more than scratches

also god id love to replace a few jackets - this 4 disc greatest hits of 2Pac is amazing, but the holder's in tatters - but i so rarely see specific loose jackets for sale

Or even better: stop organizing them!

Pros:

- Finding neat stuff all the time while looking for a certain record
- Flipping through records is fun
- Keeping records in order sucks especially when you are low on shelve space / need new baskets for 7"'s etc.
- If still want to micromanage your collections, sort them by artists or loose periods of time or whatever, alphabetical order suuucksss asss if you buy a lot of records

and most of all

Most of the times you also have a slight idea where a certain record is. I used to have records in some order, but I play records as a DJ quite often and putting the records back was just awful in practice.

:)

I like to have it at least generally ordered alphabetically by artist. It's never going to be perfect but I want it close enough so that it doesn't take me forever to look for something specific. It'll also be a good to find my duplicates and records I forgot to catalog.

My new Bob Dylan - The Basement Tapes Volume 12: The Cutting Edge just showed up!
I was just home for lunch, so I listened to side 1 of the first LP (3 total) and flipped through the book that came with it, but it was all top notch. If you've never seen these before, the packaging and attention to detail is second to none, and the music is always great. Especially for some of the entries from Dylan's less legendary eras, it's amazing how many gems Dylan would just drop for no apparent reason. This one is all from 65-66, at his creative peak (well, one of his creative peaks), and shows the making of three of his most well respected albums. I'll take some more pics when I get home.

Kuksune

Hi guys, I'm listening to my Tool - Lateralus vinyl while checking Gaf if there was a vinyl thread. Got pretty happy when i found this thread :D

Here is my teeny tiny collection

Sigur ros - Valtari,
Tool - Lateralus,
The cure - Kiss me, kiss me, kiss me
Haram- drescher
Queens of the stone age - Live gig in Bern, Switzerland
Taciturn/Anemone split
Lay down your guns - Mara
Sons of kyuss - Selftitled EP (I'm guessing)
Queen - Bohemian rhapsody single
Pink floyd - Another brick in the wall p.2 single
Pink floyd - Bring the boys back home single.

Gonna post a pic of them soon :)

big ander

Light In The Attic are reissuing some This Heat next year, the s/t and Deceit LPs along with the Health and Efficiency EP (the title track of which is one of the great songs). Early pressings of these records aren't actually that hard to find, but these are remastered and have some awesome-looking booklets. I'm also kinda glad they're just ignoring their technical 3rd album Repeat which was just (bad) drone manipulated loops of material recorded when the band was still together.

From Pink Floyd to the Eels, you people are fantastic! I thoroughly recommend the two I just picked up, not mi images:

The Bronson soundtrack - a fucking sublime mix of pop and classical tracks.

Fabio Frizzi's score for The Beyond - was lucky enough to snag a 1 of 1000 variant from Death Waltz/Mondo and the sound is just as fantastic as their other releases.

Steamlord

Light In The Attic are reissuing some This Heat next year, the s/t and Deceit LPs along with the Health and Efficiency EP (the title track of which is one of the great songs). Early pressings of these records aren't actually that hard to find, but these are remastered and have some awesome-looking booklets. I'm also kinda glad they're just ignoring their technical 3rd album Repeat which was just (bad) drone manipulated loops of material recorded when the band was still together.

Awesome news.

Sobriquet

In the last couple of weeks I've picked up:

Deerhunter - Fading Frontier
Kurt Vile - b’lieve i’m going down
Slowdive - Souvlaki
Titus Andronicus - The Most Lamentable Tragedy (3xLP + poster + sticker holy shit)
Yo La Tengo - Stuff Like That There (no download code wtf)

IrishNinja

so i don't fancy there's a lotta fans outside of GAF-hop, but a rep from Duck Down Records emailed back to say all 3 of Sean Price's solo albums (which are hard to find expensive these days...R.I.P.) are being reissued soon by Fat Beats, should be an announcement soon - can't wait, i'm gonna cop all 3!

what are ya'lls most-wanted albums not yet on vinyl?

for me it's hands down Nujabes - Metaphorical Music, with Modal Soul and then Uyama Hiroto - A Son of the Sun at the top of the list. they're some of my favorite music & would absolutely sound brilliant on wax, but alas, Hydeout only wants CD releases for albums so far, and while singles exist, they're $100+ and don't even include some of my favorite tracks...i guess the Samurai Champloo set has a bunch but there's still so many missing. stranger still, Fat Jon has a few LP's out there that i wanna get (fair prices too, for imports) but not my favorite stuff of his either.

Nujabes is a good choice, although I at least have Shing02 on vinyl so I have some good Japanese hip-hop on wax at least.

My two biggest desires are probably Mass of the Fermenting Dregs (unlikely to ever happen - defunct Japanese band that only put out CDs) and the Howard Shore Lord of the Rings scores. I have my fingers crossed for those actually happening. I'd pay basically what ever was asked.

IrishNinja

Nujabes is a good choice, although I at least have Shing02 on vinyl so I have some good Japanese hip-hop on wax at least.

yeah, ive missed some late luv(sic) shing ones, but i mainly want the instrumental stuff - though admittedly, at this point having anything from their camp would be cool. again there's a few Fat Jon releases on ebay for a fair price but shipping is rough, and god knows that Samurai Champloo LP set is crazy expensive.

never heard of your Mass of the Fermenting Dregs, gonna look em up later!

Sufjan Stevens' Illinois is being rereleased on blue and white vinyl with a new cover:
As you know Illinois is the best album of 2005 and one of the best albums of the past decade.
I already own the standard black and white reissue from a few years ago. DAMMIT SUFJAN, WHY MUST YOU TEMPT ME SO?!?!

Mr. Hyde

I noticed that turntable lab is doing 15% off. Does have experience with their TTL packages? Every year I tell myself to buy a vinyl player and I never do. I buy vinyl albums but still never a player.

Live Metallica set arrived a couple of days ago. It is beautiful:

I kind of wish they were enclosed in a box like their 45RPM releases that are more than two albums long. The book-style certainly looks cool, but they are going to be really exposed to dust.

Ludovico

Hey guys.
So I set up my LP-120 (first player) earlier today and managed not to horrendously break anything. I'm using the line-out through the RCA to 3.5 male adapter, and plugging them straight into a pair of Vmoda m-80's. Sounds pretty clear though the volume is on the weak side. This is bad because I'm also expecting some HD598's very soon.

I think instead of buying a full fledged receiver, I'd rather have a portable DAC/amp I could also couple with my phone (galaxy S5) and sansa clip.

Would the following amp allow me to simply plug and play so I could increase the volume of the record player as well as any of my other aux-out devices?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A9LHLQ6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

thanks!

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Live Metallica set arrived a couple of days ago. It is beautiful:

I kind of wish they were enclosed in a box like their 45RPM releases that are more than two albums long. The book-style certainly looks cool, but they are going to be really exposed to dust.

Is there anyway you could sleeve the disks and put them back in the book sleeve?

I use these now and they're pretty thin.

Xun

I got In Rainbows for my birthday.

Fantastic record, although for whatever reason there were a few brown marks on one side (they've since come off though).

Anyone else had this? It was a new record so I was quite surprised.

Is there anyway you could sleeve the disks and put them back in the book sleeve?

I use these now and they're pretty thin.

I'd think they'd fit. I've kind of been leaning towards replacing all my album sleeves with those anti-static ones any way. Static is a constant bitch around here.

Also, wonder what is up with the new Crow release:

qJiGsga.png

Gonna have to do some googling to see what's up, 'cause I want it.

I got In Rainbows for my birthday.

Fantastic record, although for whatever reason there were a few brown marks on one side (they've since come off though).

Anyone else had this? It was a new record so I was quite surprised.
I think there were some specks in my purchase this year as well? I more noticed the double printing of "Videotape"s lyrics on the liner notes... Man it's funny what escapes proofing all the way to the end.

for me it's hands down Nujabes - Metaphorical Music, with Modal Soul and then Uyama Hiroto - A Son of the Sun at the top of the list. they're some of my favorite music & would absolutely sound brilliant on wax, but alas, Hydeout only wants CD releases for albums so far, and while singles exist, they're $100+ and don't even include some of my favorite tracks...i guess the Samurai Champloo set has a bunch but there's still so many missing. stranger still, Fat Jon has a few LP's out there that i wanna get (fair prices too, for imports) but not my favorite stuff of his either.
Not really an album, but Radiohead's from the basement session for TKOL .

I'd also love to have the zuton's first two releases on vinyl--though they might have made them

kess

Finally getting around to rebuilding my old vinyl collection, for what it's worth, although I doubt I'll find the one of a kind vinyl ephemera that I stupidly got rid of years ago. I'm quite happy I found a Band of Susans LP, since that band has been on my radar for a while.

Cheddahz

Banned
Whenever I try to play a vinyl now, the sound seems off to me (it sounds like it's going in and out). I checked my audio cables and everything seems to hooked up fine, so could it be something with the player itself (have a Audio Technica AT-LP60)?

Whenever I try to play a vinyl now, the sound seems off to me (it sounds like it's going in and out). I checked my audio cables and everything seems to hooked up fine, so could it be something with the player itself (have a Audio Technica AT-LP60)?

What do you mean "in and out"? Like the volume is changing?

My first random guess would be the needle. How long have you had it, and how much do you use it? Has it been moved lately or had a brutal moment where you scratched or banged it against a record or anything?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.

Did the weight on your tone arm slip? could cause the needle to bounce ever so slightly to give that volume change effect.

pablito

Been a while since I could contribute. Got a couple of goodies this month. I'll get some pics when Swans boxset and Lil Ugly Mane boxsets are delivered. Don't have faith that the LUM set won't make it to me soon considering the label, though.

Nujabes like you mentioned would be great.
Swans - Soundtracks For The Blind. This might happen someday.
Gae Bolg and the Church of Fand - Ballade de l'Ankou. Well a reissue, cuz I think this does exist on vinyl. From a boxset that's ridiculously expensive now.

Top Bottom