• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Servbot24

Banned
Call me crazy:

1 The Dark Knight RISES
2 Spider-Man 2
3 The Dark Knight
4. The Incredibles
5. Iron Man 1

For a second I thought the list was fine because it didn't even register with me that Rises could exist on a best of list. And even thought Rises was pretty good!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I'm sorry guys.

OTfifEL.gif

bravo!

HariKari

Just seen this is now sitting at the same RT score as BvS. Well, at least this DC universe thing is consistent.

It's supposed to make money. I wonder if it makes enough if DC will just say "fuck it, pull back the budget a bit, but keep slingin' em out there."

What happens if Wonder Woman is terrible?

Gorillaz

Tbh yeah

This guy is one of the most talented of up-and-coming directors, Marvel knows every studio wants to snatch him up, so they gotta keep him happy. They also know how important it is to nail Black Panther being THE minority superhero for their universe. My guess/hope is, Feige is telling every executive to fuck off from Coogler's path, hence the 90% AA cast. They're going all out with this one.

This is also one of the first MCU films to not get caught in the overlap of Perlmutter's control, so it is 100% overseen by Feige.

I definitely think the 90 percent AA cast was requested by him. Could be wrong tho but I can see him giving Feige a laundry list of stuff he wants. Some leeway here and there but not completely.

Didn't know BP was the first movie where Feige has outright control away from Perlmutter. I can see this being a "test" internally with Marvel to see if he can lead the ship and still give wiggle room for Movies and Directors. In that case Coogler might really have so pull on things here.

It's supposed to make money. I wonder if it makes enough if DC will just say "fuck it, pull back the budget a bit, but keep slingin' em out there."

That's exactly what they're going to do if this does as well as I think it will

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?

Continue making films as long as they make money.

In the same time frame from Man of Steel to now, Marvel had put out Iron Man and four other films. What happens after Justice League will be interesting.

HariKari

Continue making films as long as they make money.

In the same time frame from Man of Steel to now, Marvel had put out Iron Man and four other films. What happens after Justice League will be interesting.

Dignity is supposed to kick in at some point when you're fumbling prized IPs, especially relative to the competition.

Garlador

List time!

The Dark Knight
Civil War
Spider-Man
Days of Future Past
Watchmen: Director's Cut

Honorable mentions:

BvS UC
Winter Soldier
Guardians of the Galaxy
Iron Man
Avengers
Man of Steel
Constantine
Hellboy

I just read through three pages of lists...

And not one... NOT ONE... person mentioned The Crow. C'mon, guys...

When DC tries to "go dark and gritty", I just tend to laugh, because even at their darkest and grittiest, they haven't come close to being as dark or as well done as this film.

Lol at the Angry Joe review of Suicide Squad. His fellows cant even say something negative about the movie... Joe just unleash the fanboy inside him. He even said the Plot is amazing. According to him, his review >>>>> 100+ RT critics..... Oh and, Go and support the movie. I loved some characters in the movie, a lot more than i expected... but this is not a 8/10 movie Joe.

Didn't know BP was the first movie where Feige has outright control away from Perlmutter. I can see this being a "test" internally with Marvel to see if he can lead the ship and still give wiggle room for Movies and Directors. In that case Coogler might really have so pull on things here.

It's not. Doctor Strange is the first. (For reference, the Feige/Perlmutter split was nearly a year ago in late August, just after principal photography on Civil War wrapped; production on Doctor Strange didn't begin until November.)

Blade 2 is superior.

I have a soft spot for Blade 2 but all I remember nowadays is how me and my friends used to make fun of this awful 'cool wall jump' he makes near the beginning when fighting some vamps. It's just so lame

I'm sure there's a gif out there. It's almost Arrow Flip tier

Garlador

the crow doesnt age very well though

i loved it when i was growing up ; __ ;
Having rewatched it quite recently with the wife, I think that - barring a few effects - it holds up shockingly well. It's atmospheric as hell, relentlessly bleak and legitimately mature, and where other films of the same tone or genre were so try-hard, Brandon Lee is just effortless in a role that requires him to be both charming and caring and also vengeful and terrifying as hell.

It's got great supporting cast (underrated Ernie Hudson), a god-tier soundtrack, still remains a visual masterpiece, and has some of the most memorable and legitimately loathsome and well-done villains in the medium.

... Feel like I'm hijacking the thread, but comparing it to something like Suicide Squad, I actually think Suicide Squad is going to date itself pretty quickly (particularly Leto's Joker), while there's something about the way The Crow is filmed and shot that gives it this otherworldly "timelessness" that Tim Burton's Gotham had as well that makes it seem almost like a modern fable or ghost story that can still resonate across the years. I think it holds up better than almost any other "hero" film of that era.

If we're counting The Crow in our super hero movie lists, then it's somewhere in my top 10 then.
I think it does. It passes my litmus test of costumed or masked vigilante with superpowers punishing evil-doers and saving the innocent.

Sephzilla

I can't really slam The Crow for not aging well after putting two of the Raimi Spider Man movies in my top 10 list. The Raimi Spidey flicks have aged terribly.

cr0w

Old Member
What's funny is that The Crow is one of my favorite movies of all time (obviously), but I don't really think of it as a comic movie. I don't know why that is, to be honest. I'd actually rank it above almost all of them, but personally I guess it's transcended the label of "comic movie" for me.

inky

So, what a shitshow. Can DC get it together or will it be too late by the time Batfleck's movie comes ground to try and salvage this universe?

For people that have seen it, is it really bad? Or just bad but entertaining. Put it this way is better than BvS? I am probably going to see it alone tonight but I dont want to go to the movies alone for the first time in my life if it is really horrible.

Tabby

For people that have seen it, is it really bad? Or just bad but entertaining. Put it this way is better than BvS? I am probably going to see it alone tonight but I dont want to go to the movies alone for the first time in my life if it is really horrible.

About the same level as BvS UC. It's a fun popcorn flick but nothing more.

It's not awful but I didn't find it very entertaining either. The second half really drags and the action is pretty lame for an action movie

People need to stop making up narratives about Marvel being control freaks because Edgar Wright spent 10 years writing a script then left. Thor 2 and Ant-Man are the exceptions, not the rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom