• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kurahador

Or I dunno, not make a shitty version of The Joker

Yeah...did no one ever saw Mark Hamill's The Joker from the cartoon and Rocksteady games? Do that!! Fuck man.

Also, top 5 for me:
1. Spiderman 2
2. Batman Mask Of Phantasm / Batman Begins - Similar and same level for me.
3. Iron Man
4. Blade 2
5. The Incredibles

I dunno

I have a close friend who is a DC nut whose opinion i respect (he liked BvS and I didnt but we had some great conversations about it) only hit the movie for its first act

Outside of that he called the movie good. I can roll with that

Is this hate train just overreactions based on the precedent set by BvS? I also am hearing a lot of reports of how nasty this movie was cut up (much like BvS)

But thats how you make movies. Maybe there are less talented EDITORS in their employ?

IconGrist

I dunno

I have a close friend who is a DC nut whose opinion i respect (he liked BvS and I didnt but we had some great conversations about it) only hit the movie for its first act

Outside of that he called the movie good. I can roll with that

Is this hate train just overreactions based on the precedent set by BvS? I also am hearing a lot of reports of how nasty this movie was cut up (much like BvS)

But thats how you make movies. Maybe there are less talented EDITORS in their employ?

Cuts are super obvious. While you're watching you can point out, "yep, there's a scene missing there. There's a scene missing here." You can do that almost the entire way through.

Guzim

I hated this movie. Will Smith and Viola Davis gave it their all, and they were easily the best thing about this movie. I'll post more later, but ugh. I hated this more than Batman v. Superman.

IconGrist

Let's see, top 5 comic book movies:

1. V for Vendetta
2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
3. Batman Begins
4. Man of Steel
5. Watchmen Director's Cut

This movie turning out to be garbage is so disappointing. I'm still going to see it with a sliver of hope I like it nonetheless.

Top 5 superhero movies of all time:

1. The Dark Knight
2. Spider-Man 2
3. Batman Begins
4. Spider-Man
5. Watchmen
------------------------
6. Captain America: Winter Soldier
7. Captain America: Civil War
8. Guardians of the Galaxy

Sorry, but I really liked Watchmen's UC, which was the first version I saw.

No apology needed. Watchmen Ultimate Cut is so good. Yes, it's 3.5 hours long - but it's needed to do the graphic novel justice. It's too bad the theatrical version (rightfully) turned people off to that movie.

Apathy

Oh yeah Leto was exactly what most pegged him as when that try-hard damaged fascade was first revealed in photos.

Garbage.

You could tell that from the on set stories about him. He's too far up his own ass. Ooo I'm going to send my costars creepy things ooo.

Spinluck

TBF Thor 2 is irredemable shit. The only good part is his mother kicking ass and even she dies

Hilarious that Thor 2 keeps getting brought up. It's not special in anyway.

Watched it fairly recently and thought it was a more competent movie than the DCEU's output so far.

Haven't seen Suicide Squad yet though, but man is this picking at low hanging fruit if I've ever seen it.

GOAT DC films well be Nolan's for a long ass time. Same might go for the genre as well.

Arkanius

Guardians of the Galaxy garbage?
Iron Man 1 bad?

This god damn thread is an echo chamber. Those movies were loved by the general audience. You take your comic book movies too much at heart.

BroBot

At the IMAX theater waiting for them to open and all of a sudden my hype level is slowly increasing from 0 to about 3/10... I dont want to do this to myself.

Then again, I enjoyed Iron Man 2 and Man of Steel. So I'm ready.

cr0w

Old Member
Guardians of the Galaxy garbage?
Iron Man 1 bad?

This god damn thread is an echo chamber. Those movies were loved by the general audience. You take your comic book movies too much at heart.

Guardians is charming as hell, and that makes up for a lot of the shortcomings people will pick apart. The combination of Gunn's writing and the cast do wonders for that movie.

Iron Man was great for its time, but going back to watch it after seeing a dozen or so films with the same structure and plot points will make it feel tired and overrated. When it came out, though, it was a revelation.

This movie turning out to be garbage is so disappointing. I'm still going to see it with a sliver of hope I like it nonetheless.

No apology needed. Watchmen Ultimate Cut is so good. Yes, it's 3.5 hours long - but it's needed to do the graphic novel justice. It's too bad the theatrical version (rightfully) turned people off to that movie.

I'll have to check out the ultimate cut, I actually liked the theatrical release.

pompidu

To be fair, watchmen is almost impossible to make as a standard movie. What we got I think was great.

The thing I dislike about Joe's movie reviews is that his friends hardly ever have a different opinion to his, they are basically just there to back up his opinion. Makes for a very boring video.
Well that's the thing with most people who go to watch movies with friends. You all tend to enjoy the same things.

Redlettermedia goes to watch films with the mentality they'll be viewing it critically and don't discuss it until they get to record the episode. Joe and these guys likely start discussing it as they're walking out of the theater and on the way home.

zsynqx

Wow, BvS broke this poor man. He's become a #SupportDCFilms nutter.

Can't really blame him.

In his Justice League reaction, where Joe found the reveal underwhelming, look at the amount of dislikes and hate comments. He had to make a response video to try and calm down these nutty fanboys.

If Coogler gets to make the movie he wants I could see this being true. If he has to eat that Marvel pie than I'd peg it right under the last two Cap movies.

He's co-writing and directing the film, I don't think a first-timer has ever been given this much freedom by Marvel. Considering how much power Feige now has, I don't doubt Ryan has all the creative control he needs. The 90% African-American cast might have even been a request from Coogler.

zoukka

G

Iron Man was great for its time, but going back to watch it after seeing a dozen or so films with the same structure and plot points will make it feel tired and overrated. When it came out, though, it was a revelation.

Maybe to some hardcore comic fans.

Comments like this tell me that people didn't read silver age comics. Letos joker was based on the old school gangster version of joker before the "dark knight" modern take on batman. I just saw the movie and I thought that this issue with Leto was the fact that he wasn't meanceing enough. In the dark knight one of the first scenes where you see the joker is when he kills all of his minions just for fun after he robs a bank. Leto never had moments where you felt uneasy when he was around. Overall I thought the movie had its ups and downs. I thought Harley had many strong points (her personality was on point, her craziness) and her lows (wtf with the dream of a normal life win the joker) I feel like I need to see it again to tell how good it was
No. People read the Silver Age comics man. This isn't a case of people not understanding the character, this is a poor interpretation.

Heath Ledger provided a new, interesting, unsettling take whilst staying true to the core fundamentals of the character. Leto's Joker is a creepy lovesick puppy. He's unsettling in the wrong ways.

IconGrist

He's co-writing and directing the film, I don't think a first-timer has ever been given this much freedom by Marvel. Considering how much power Feige now has, I don't doubt Ryan has all the creative control he needs. The 90% African-American cast might have even been a request from Coogler.

Well, good. I hope he brings something great. I wasn't overly sold on the character in Civil War but definitely saw the potential.

EGM1966

1. The Dark Knight
2. Spider-Man 2
3. Batman Begins
4. Spider-Man
5. Watchmen
------------------------

Lists!

Gold standard for medium:
The Dark Knight
The Incredibles
Superman The Movie (screw the old effects as a film it's still way ahead)

Very good:
Iron Man
Unbreakable
Spider-Man 2
Guardians of the Galaxy
Blade 1 & 2
Iron Man 3 (I don't care if you hated what he did Black turned in a very witty take)
Batman Begins
Winter Soldier (sry forgot it originally)

Good with flaws
Dark Knight Returns
Spider-Man
Ant Man
Avengers
Chronicle
Civil War

Rest merge for me into mostly good with flaws to average.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth

Then he would just need a master class cinematographer to really topple TDK. And Wakanda has to be on point! *fingers crossed*

Yager

Banned

1. The Dark Knight
2. Spider-Man 2
3. Batman Begins
4. Spider-Man
5. Watchmen
------------------------

You don't have to be, it's fucking great.

Sephzilla

1. The Dark Knight
2. Spider-Man 2
3. Batman Begins
4. Spider-Man
5. Watchmen
------------------------

With the exception of Watchmen and maybe GOTG, I mostly agree with this list. I'd maybe just change up the order a little for my personal preference

1. Batman Begins
2. Winter Soldier
3. Dark Knight
4. Spider-Man
5. Civil War
6. Spider-Man 2
7. Iron Man 1
8. Blade

Yes, I'm one of those weirdos who prefers both Batman Begins and Spider-Man 1 to their sequels

I watched it last night and I didn't mind it.

What were the general issues with the movie? Acting? Pacing? Editing? Story? Can someone detail what they were because the movie masked the issues really well. Did it all hinge on the Joker being well done? It did go from piece to piece quickly. I'm just not sure what the general fault with the movie is.

EGM1966

By the way why so few mentions for The Incredibles? Are people biased to live action and known characters because as a film it's one of the best ever: arguably tied with Dark Knight as best ever.

cr0w

Old Member
Maybe to some hardcore comic fans.

Compared to what we'd gotten prior to it from Marvel's catalog, I'd argue that it was the greatest thing since sliced bread at the time. Growing up with the Matt Salinger Captain America from 1990, Dolph's Punisher, David Hasselhoff's Nick Fury, the various attempts at Daredevil and Thor (especially in the Hulk TV movies), Ang Lee's Hulk, Raimi's Spider-Man trilogy (all of which I consider to be god-awful), and so on and so forth, Iron Man was incredible.

1. The Dark Knight
2. Spider-Man 2
3. Batman Begins
4. Spider-Man
5. Watchmen
------------------------

Don't apologize for Watchmen UC. It's awesome.

1. The Dark Knight
2. Civil War
3. Winter Soldier
4. Watchmen UC
5. Guardians of the Galaxy

1. Captain America: Civil War
2. The Incredibles
3. Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
4. Guardians of the Galaxy
5. The Avengers

Dark Knight's definitely in the Top 10

Status