• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sephzilla

That's why it's called the Cornetto Trilogy.
You're not supposed to like all three flavours, just two of them.

c8Ene56.gif

For people that have seen it, is it really bad? Or just bad but entertaining. Put it this way is better than BvS? I am probably going to see it alone tonight but I dont want to go to the movies alone for the first time in my life if it is really horrible.

I enjoyed it, but as you can see in this thread most did not.

Having rewatched it quite recently with the wife, I think that - barring a few effects - it holds up shockingly well. It's atmospheric as hell, relentlessly bleak and legitimately mature, and where other films of the same tone or genre were so try-hard, Brandon Lee is just effortless in a role that requires him to be both charming and caring and also vengeful and terrifying as hell.

It's got great supporting cast (underrated Ernie Hudson), a god-tier soundtrack, still remains a visual masterpiece, and has some of the most memorable and legitimately loathsome and well-done villains in the medium.

... Feel like I'm hijacking the thread, but comparing it to something like Suicide Squad, I actually think Suicide Squad is going to date itself pretty quickly (particularly Leto's Joker), while there's something about the way The Crow is filmed and shot that gives it this otherworldly "timelessness" that Tim Burton's Gotham had as well that makes it seem almost like a modern fable or ghost story that can still resonate across the years. I think it holds up better than almost any other "hero" film of that era.

I think it does. It passes my litmus test of costumed or masked vigilante with superpowers punishing evil-doers and saving the innocent.

oh i loved that movie like crazy when i was a teen girl but i just saw it again last month after not seeing it for years and it was a bit rough and didn't quite match what i thought i remembered .___.

i will still hold on to the memories of what i thought it was though. such a unique piece of cinema <3

Sephzilla

Oh god this is now a wrasslin thread.

Please come back to WrassleGAF, BronsonLee. You'd get a huge nostalgia pop. I'll even put you over!

jelly

Couple of my friends saw it this morning and interesting comment that may worry Warner Bros if a lot of people share it. They feel like they are being duped by fun and I exciting trailers and probably won't watch another one from WB and DC because the films are so shit and boring, three in a row for two of them and one can't remember Man of Steel much.

Bishop89

Co-worker saw it last night. He said it was very entertaining, looked gorgeous, characters were great but the plot falls flat on its face.

That basically says to me it's going to be a really fun movie, which is all that is important to me

Fitting, given the carny nature of WB currently.

Tsujihara is basically Vince trying to push Roman Reigns.

Henry Cavill is basically Roman Reigns (both have the same smudge "I didn't ask for these powers, bruh", while Ben Affleck is Brock Lesnar (always there to kick ass and win the crowd when needed).

Henry Cavill: "I'm not a bad man. I'm not a good man. I'm Superman".
Ben Affleck: "GOTHAM CITY, BITCH!"

Sephzilla

Henry Cavill is basically Roman Reigns (both have the same smudge "I didn't ask for these powers, bruh", while Ben Affleck is Brock Lesnar (always there to kick ass and win the crowd when needed).

Henry Cavill: "I'm not a bad man. I'm not a good man. I'm Superman".
Ben Affleck: "GOTHAM CITY, BITCH!"

So Gal Gadot is one of the Bella Twins?

And the CW Universe is Daniel Bryan?

#BluesonLee

Lped6Ia.gif

Bleepey

I just read through three pages of lists...

And not one... NOT ONE... person mentioned The Crow. C'mon, guys...

When DC tries to "go dark and gritty", I just tend to laugh, because even at their darkest and grittiest, they haven't come close to being as dark or as well done as this film.

The only film i can think of that would be as dark as the Crow would be the Twilight Zone movie where like 3 children died.

kswiston

Does SS tanking enough for Kevin Tsujihara to get sacked? The guy is kinda new on the job.

No. Again the $800M break even is BS. Maybe not counting any other sources of revenue, including merch which is doing well.

With the previews number, high 200s domestic is going to be the worst case scenario. It looks like initial overseas numbers are big as well. Even BvS legs wont matter much with these openings.

kmfdmpig

oh i loved that movie like crazy when i was a teen girl but i just saw it again last month after not seeing it for years and it was a bit rough and didn't quite match what i thought i remembered .___.

i will still hold on to the memories of what i thought it was though. such a unique piece of cinema <3

I watched it for the first time about a year ago and had no nostalgia for it and the Brandon Lee tragedy was a distant memory, so it didn't influence my take on the movie. I thought it was corny and silly and was surprised that it had such a cult following.

EGM1966

No. Again the $800M break even is BS. Maybe not counting any other sources of revenue, including merch which is doing well.

With the previews number, high 200s domestic is going to be the worst case scenario. It looks like initial overseas numbers are big as well. Even BvS legs wont matter much with these openings.
Why is $750 to $800 being quoted as break even point then?

Budget is $175 according to BOM and for CBM movies advertising does seem to be more than same again so I agree the $800 million seems high but that's the figure I've seen quoted.

I gather China's looking unlikely too so I'm not yet convinced a big US opening means alls peach numbers wise: but $800 million to break even seems pretty high.

Matrix 2 and 3 were nowhere near as bad as BvS.

I think the sequels get a little more hate than they deserve

After re-watching Blade 2 on a whim on Netflix and being utterly appalled that I ever liked that movie, I went back to the Matrix sequels to re-evaluate my "they weren't THAT bad" stance.

They are, indeed, THAT bad.

Anyone who watched the movie here liked it?

I keep hearing from casuals, not critics, that the movie is actually good and fun

"Regular" people like watching movies where things blow up, shot, slashed, and smashes. "Regular" people like witty quips and one-liner jokes. "Regular" people don't really follow the plot of a movie that closely.

Those people will probably enjoy this movie. It's the epitome of a dumb, mindless, popcorn action movie. But it has absolutely nothing deeper than that for people who look at film as an art form.

Sephzilla

After re-watching Blade 2 on a whim on Netflix and being utterly appalled that I ever liked that movie, I went back to the Matrix sequels to re-evaluate my "they weren't THAT bad" stance.

They are, indeed, THAT bad.

The Agent Smith fight in #2 is pretty awful once it goes full CG. That Chateau fight and highway chase, though...

I think both movies would have benefited from being trimmed down and turned into one movie though. The entire first half of Revolutions feels like filler.

I think i know what movies i need to revisit this weekend

I watched it for the first time about a year ago and had no nostalgia for it and the Brandon Lee tragedy was a distant memory, so it didn't influence my take on the movie. I thought it was corny and silly and was surprised that it had such a cult following.

ooh haha i am not surprised

when i saw it, i was like 13 or something and it was omg dark and edgy and tragic *____*

i didn't even know it was a comic book movie tbh

i guess it's one of those things that had to hit at the right time and age or something?

I know that comic book fans are gonna do their thing and all the more power to them but as someone who is completely sick of superhero movies and their current over saturation in today's market - welp, it sucks to suck I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom