• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched it last night and I didn't mind it.

What were the general issues with the movie? Acting? Pacing? Editing? Story? Can someone detail what they were because the movie masked the issues really well. Did it all hinge on the Joker being well done? It did go from piece to piece quickly. I'm just not sure what the general fault with the movie is.

Haven't watched it myself but if I had to summarize from all the impressions, apparently it's really unfunny at some points, bad pacing with the character introductions, really poor action, and the tired save-the-world 3rd act.

Guardians of the Galaxy garbage?
Iron Man 1 bad?

This god damn thread is an echo chamber. Those movies were loved by the general audience. You take your comic book movies too much at heart.

Guardians is alright and Iron Man is great right until Terrance Howard says "Next time baby", after that it nose dives.

guek

Banned
Iron Man 1 totally holds up. The only thing I really didn't like about it at the time was Stark being crippled with the mark 1 arc reactor in the finale. I felt cheated out of a better display of the armor's abilities. But we've seen plenty of the armor do badass shit in the last 8yrs so it doesn't bother me nearly as much any more.

That's also why I'm not as fond of Batman Begins as other people. He gets tooled so many times in that movie, and we don't get a good ninja-Batman like I expected or even unstoppable force Batman like we did in BvS. In fact, he never comes across as particularly scary or formidable in any of the Nolan films so I never felt like I got exactly what I wanted from the character in that franchise. He's always getting clowned in some way in all of Nolan's movies. I don't want an invincible protagonist, nor am I a huge fan of the Bat-god trope, but a little more in that vein would have gone a long way.

J_Viper

List time!

The Dark Knight
Civil War
Spider-Man
Days of Future Past
Watchmen: Director's Cut

Honorable mentions:

BvS UC
Winter Soldier
Guardians of the Galaxy
Iron Man
Avengers
Man of Steel
Constantine
Hellboy

I'm trying to keep it one per series, or else TDK trilogy and Spider-Man 1 & 2 would take up my top 5

zsynqx

1. Captain America: Civil War
2. The Incredibles
3. Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
4. Guardians of the Galaxy
5. The Avengers

Dark Knight's definitely in the Top 10

If Scott Pilgrim counts, here is my updated list.

1) The Dark Knight
2) The Incredibles
3. Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
4) Batman Begins
5) Spiderman 2

Shitting on reviewers because they hated a movie is equally silly as shitting on a reviewer that really liked a movie.

If he and his crew liked it, who cares.

Sephzilla

Dark Knight and Spidey 2 are both movies I kind of look at nowadays and slightly wonder why people prefer them over the first movie. Dark Knight's entire second half is kind of a mess story wise and it's mostly masked by Ledger's amazing performance (and Bale's acting progressively declines throughout the trilogy). Spider-Man 2 feels more like a Sam Raimi movie featuring Spider-Man while the first movie was more of a Spider-Man movie directed by Sam Raimi. Spidey 2 (and 3) go too far camp for me, not to mention MJ is an awful person in the sequels. Spidey 2 also lacks Dafoe as the main villain.

Scott Pilgrim was the only movie I've ever walked out of. Oof.

Walk back into the fucking theater right now

Yep, do this

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
OléGunner;212523471 said:
How did they find it?
I'm sure Greg loved it because he's as biased a DC fanboy as I've ever seen.

I see this with all the love in the world for Greg, have enjoyed him since Podcast Beyond's early days.

Actually Greg Miller hated it.

cr0w

Old Member
Walk back into the fucking theater right now

I lasted until the Bollywood number.

It had everything I'd expect to love out of a movie that was written by someone who adores the same stuff I did growing up, but I was about ten years too old for it. I would have loved it if I was 20 at the time, but being in my 30s I was just left feeling like it wasn't for me. It was for people who got into the same shit I love ten years after the fact.

You didn't walk out of Suicide Squad? Only movie where I've genuinely considered it.

We're talking comic book movies anyway and it's an excellent comic book movie.

Haven't seen SS yet. Going Saturday.

Like I said with Scott Pilgrim, it just wasn't for me. My kind of nostalgia and homage is what we saw with Stranger Things recently. Scott Pilgrim, tonally, is just really not something I enjoyed. I'm not saying it was bad, it's just not my type of film.

Sephzilla

The first fight in the movie is probably the worst fight in the movie. That means you also missed Michael Cera beating Captain America, Human Torch, Superman, and The Atom!

cr0w

Old Member
You left after the first fight?!

Ok pick a weapon because we're gonna throw down now

To me it was similar to seeing a 15 year old walking around with a Zelda backpack or a Nirvana shirt on in Hot Topic. It had a lot of things I really, really loved in it, but they were all aimed at a generation who likes to look or feel clever by referencing things that were before their time.

EGM1966

Iron Man 1 totally holds up. The only thing I really didn't like about it at the time was Stark being crippled with the mark 1 arc reactor in the finale. I felt cheated out of a better display of the armor's abilities. But we've seen plenty of the armor do badass shit in the last 8yrs so it doesn't bother me nearly as much any more.

That's also why I'm not as fond of Batman Begins as other people. He gets tooled so many times in that movie, and we don't get a good ninja-Batman like I expected or even unstoppable force Batman like we did in BvS. In fact, he never comes across as particularly scary or formidable in any of the Nolan films so I never felt like I got exactly what I wanted from the character in that franchise. He's always getting clowned in some way in all of Nolan's movies. I don't want an invincible protagonist, nor am I a huge fan of the Bat-god trope, but a little more in that vein would have gone a long way.
Did we watch the same films?

In BB he's creating the character so of course he makes mistakes: zero room for improvement and character growth otherwise. That said he's pretty dam intimidating taking out a warehouse full of goons and acting like an actual scary creature and of course by the end is fully formed.

Dark Knight he's always on top physically as he's fully formed. From start to end he wins every battle: his challenge is all moral and that's where Joker shines.

Rises is "returns one last time" narrative. He comes back strong, then gets taken out by the new kid on the block then pulls himself back to triumph fully one last time.

Seems decent show of abilities to me. All Snyder did was "borrow" warehouse scene and make it more of an action scene with overdone effects vs Nolan keeping him in the shadows .

Sephzilla

Haven't seen SS yet. Going Saturday.

To me it was similar to seeing a 15 year old walking around with a Zelda backpack or a Nirvana shirt on in Hot Topic. It had a lot of things I really, really loved in it, but they were all aimed at a generation who likes to look or feel clever by referencing things that were before their time.

Oh man it sounds like you'll hate SS then

Oersted

Lists!

Gold standard for medium:
The Dark Knight
The Incredibles
Superman The Movie (screw the old effects as a film it's still way ahead)

Very good:
Iron Man8
Unbreakable
Spider-Man 2
Guardians of the Galaxy
Blade 1 & 2
Iron Man 3 (I don't care if you hated what he did Black turned in a very witty take)
Batman Begins
Winter Soldier (sry forgot it originally)

Good with flaws
Dark Knight Returns
Spider-Man
Ant Man
Avengers
Chronicle
Civil War

Rest merge for me into mostly good with flaws to average.

Where is Matrix on your list? And Hellboy?)

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Call me crazy:

1 The Dark Knight RISES
2 Spider-Man 2
3 The Dark Knight
4. The Incredibles
5. Iron Man 1

I'm sorry guys.

OTfifEL.gif

Holy shit

Haven't watched it myself but if I had to summarize from all the impressions, apparently it's really unfunny at some points, bad pacing with the character introductions, really poor action, and the tired save-the-world 3rd act.

The action was serviceable. From the ratings I'd think this was Taken 2 action.

Who can't love Captain Boomerang? Him and Deadshot were gold for comedic purposes.

"If she doesn't get good enough grades then do that white thing y'all do to get in."

Yall really think Marvel is going to let Coogler have his way like that

He ain't getting that much breathing room

Tbh yeah

This guy is one of the most talented of up-and-coming directors, Marvel knows every studio wants to snatch him up, so they gotta keep him happy. They also know how important it is to nail Black Panther being THE minority superhero for their universe. My guess/hope is, Feige is telling every executive to fuck off from Coogler's path, hence the 90% AA cast. They're going all out with this one.

This is also one of the first MCU films to not get caught in the overlap of Perlmutter's control, so it is 100% overseen by Feige.

breakfuss

Few days ago it was at 35%, now 27%. Critics are essentially saying not to see it. Unbelievable.

EDIT: Double Toasted review now up lol, let's see what they have to say.

Fitts

Just seen this is now sitting at the same RT score as BvS. Well, at least this DC universe thing is consistent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom