• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Anyone who watched the movie here liked it?

I keep hearing from casuals, not critics, that the movie is actually good and fun

Angry Joe just posted a review and he and his panel of friends all loved it. Spent like half of the discussion calling out the critics given all four of them had almost nothing but positive thoughts. Probably the first outright glowing take on the movie I have seen. They all disliked BvS as I recall.

I remain hesitant to believe though.

jph139

I watched it for the first time about a year ago and had no nostalgia for it and the Brandon Lee tragedy was a distant memory, so it didn't influence my take on the movie. I thought it was corny and silly and was surprised that it had such a cult following.

Eh, I saw it a year or two ago for the first time and really loved it. It's very corny, but I guess I have a high tolerance for the goofier trappings of the genre.

I mean, it's just a earnest piece of cinema. It felt like everyone involved was bringing their best and working toward the same goal, even if that goal is a bit silly and melodramatic. I like that sort of thing.

Sojgat

I keep hearing from casuals, not critics, that the movie is actually good and fun

I thought it was okay. Half the time it's edited like a music video/trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy, but the characters themselves are fun. Except Leto. He sucks.

It's better than the BvS theatrical cut at least.

Oersted

Is Neo from Matrix the only leading superhero who (ending spoilers)
sacrifices himself
?

Can't recall anyone else.

I generally don't care too much about reviews but they are kind of dead on for this movie. It's a mess. Not sure what I disliked more this or BvS. Both really disappointing. I don't have high hopes for any future DC movies after these 2 letdowns.

EGM1966

mmmmmmmmmm

hc73ughwetbf9voif4t5.gif
I love pretty much every action sequence in Reloaded. Shame they're submerged under an incoherent narrative with very messy character motivation.

I still struggle to believe they went that far off the rails after the nicely structured and clear focus of the first film. Quite something in a way. Their own original work since really makes The Matrix look like a happy accident.

That said I am on team #ratherlikedSpeedRacerbecausesoprettyplusjohnfuckinggoodman

rrc1594

The only thing these bad movies keep on doing is hyping me up for that Solo Batman movie. I need my Batman movie in like the next 3 years WB plz.

The pacing is atrociously bad and the editing isn't great either, but other than that I thought it was good. It has issues for sure, but it's fine. Far from the worst superhero movie I've ever seen.

I remember the Chateau fight being well-executed when I first saw it, but on rewatch over a decade later it just looks stiff and dated. Keanu doesn't have the necessary skill or timing to have a one vs many fight flow naturally (most of the 1v1 fights still stand up well, like the fights in the first movie or the Morpheus vs Agent fight on the truck), and YWP's fight choreo seems really half-assed in hindsight.

I'm fairly certain the action in the Snyder superman movies will age terribly, too. People who praise it are just as blind as I was in the early 2000's.

pompidu

I just read through three pages of lists...

And not one... NOT ONE... person mentioned The Crow. C'mon, guys...

When DC tries to "go dark and gritty", I just tend to laugh, because even at their darkest and grittiest, they haven't come close to being as dark or as well done as this film.

Loved the crow. Everything was pretty much done right.

Oersted

I love pretty much every action sequence in Reloaded. Shame they're submerged under an incoherent narrative with very messy character motivation.

I still struggle to believe they went that far off the rails after the nicely structured and clear focus of the first film. Quite something in a way. Their own original work since really makes The Matrix look like a happy accident.

That said I am on team #ratherlikedSpeedRacerbecausesoprettyplusjohnfuckinggoodman

The messy motivation was to be fair part of the story. Things don't get clear till he meets someone.

Superman sacrificed himself twice in BvS.

To clarify, I meant
sacrifice which kills the character for good.

Fury451

Banned

It's bare minimum functional. The action is the epitome of dull and uninspired, which is a shame because the director can shoot an intense gun battle, he's done it many times.

It's not great, it's got a pretty messy plot that borderline makes no sense, bad editing, corny and clunky dialogue, and it's basically the poster child for wasted potential. Some good performances considering the material, but the characters largely just didn't have all that much to do.

I could muster out a half-hearted recommendation for it though, which I couldn't do for the last DC outing, so take that for what it's worth.

Joker was bad and honestly he ruined every scene he was in for me, which was a pretty big shocker.

Papacheeks

Banned
Is Neo from Matrix the only leading superhero who (ending spoilers)
sacrifices himself
?

Can't recall anyone else.

Captain america sacrificed himself in first avenger by going down with the ship.

Superman sacrificed himself in BVS.

Iron Giant as well.

I still think the Matrix Sequels would have worked better If Neo was still inside the matrix when he exhibited powers when he thought he was outside the Matrix.

Wait, people are actually saying this is WORSE than BvS? Impossible. I was all set to see this tomorrow, willing to give DC strike 3, but now I'm not so sure. BvS was an interminable pile of garbage.

Real Hero

Jeremy Jahn is so regular its almost like his reviews consist of most basic view possible that anyone could come up with and there's no real reason to ever watch one of his videos

eizarus

Banned
I always thought the movie gave a strong implication that Neo survived

It did.The Oracle told that little girl at the end that she expects they'll see Neo again. Plus according the wikia, the MMORPG hinted that Neo was alive too. (Not that that's saying much).

Sephzilla

It did.The Oracle told that little girl at the end that she expects they'll see Neo again. Plus according the wikia, the MMORPG hinted that Neo was alive too. (Not that that's saying much).

Plus when they
fly Neo's body away at the end and cut to that fire-vision style they show that Neo's body is glowing like a fucking star. Which always indicated energy/life.

Which film portrayal was worse? There's been some pretty bad animated ones.

Legitimately curious, don't mean to sound aggressive or anything. I think by far his interpretation was pretty weak and uninspired considering that he's a talented actor.

I agree there have been some bad animated ones.
In terms of live action I think that everyone that has played him has brought something different to the table.Comparing them is useless in my opinion because the joker is always portrayed a little different depending who is writing him in the comics. I think Leto's joker is the closest he has gotten to the animated series joker, granted he doesn't have a ton of screen time so it's hard for a lot of people to form an opinion. Hopefully he will be featured prominently in the batman movie so people can get a better opinion of him. I loved what I saw. He was funny and unnerving which is what the joker is supposed to be in my opinion

the scene where the guy kisses his ring and he jumps on his lap and says I can tell you meant it really solidified him for me. I think if they had left the Hot and Cold way he treats Harley in the film people would see what he is going for. The editing left some people guessing

I like Gangsta Joker. I think if he is in the solo Batman movie it can be something great

Gangsta Joker isn't the problem, it's Leto Joker that's the problem. His line delivery was just bad. Maybe going for some high/lethargic/detached portrayal. But it just didn't work and didn't come off as intimidating. Maybe a good laugh is enough for people to consider him a good Joker, but Leto was just trying to chew the scenery with very little material.

Leto Joker is my favorite joker by far. Seems like he could actually be a supervillain, and be someone that people actually fear in Gotham and elsewhere. Absolutely cannot wait to see him get more screen time.

The scene of him rescuing Harley and shooting out the back of the helicopter, when it flashed to Joker laughing as he was shooting, was legitimately terrifying.

Havent watched TDK in a while so I need to do that to refresh things but as of now I have Leto > Ledger > Nicholson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom