• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley327

Chicago Tribune, 1.5 stars

Meanwhile we have this thing, this garish, overstaffed, overstuffed, blithely sadistic corporate directive disguised as a PG-13 summer movie for all ages. (You'd be pretty stupid to let anyone under 13 see it. Actually you'd be pretty stupid to let anyone over 13 see it too.) It will open big, and if its de facto prequel "Batman v Superman" could make $872 million worldwide, well, anything's possible and quality has very little to do with it.

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Man, this sucks. This should have been an easy layup at the very least.

AAMARMO

Banned
Please compare to BvS xD

eaAozv0.jpg

DJChuy

So now the next question is will it have worse legs/drops than BvS?

I have two passes for the Alamo Drafthouse, but I don't know if I want to use them for this movie. My gf isn't really that big on comic book movies.

Arsenic13

It's almost as if actors gifting dead pigs and a director making his stars see war videos and listen to acts of cannibalism would make a TryHard film.

I had hope that it would be good as the cast looks great, but man this is disappointing.

Azuran

Banned
lmao

I could tell pretty much every good scene or joke was in and that still doesn't mean much if they don't make any sense in the actual movie.

I'm done. What little faith I had for this franchise is officially gone.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
No surprise. The cast is terrible and everything about the film looks like it would have came out right after Tarantino got huge.

Like this shit looks like some awful mix of Natural Born Killers and fucking Generation X.
220px-GenerationX-poster.jpg

And it's 2016.

Chicago Tribune, 1.5 stars

Meanwhile we have this thing, this garish, overstaffed, overstuffed, blithely sadistic corporate directive disguised as a PG-13 summer movie for all ages. (You'd be pretty stupid to let anyone under 13 see it. Actually you'd be pretty stupid to let anyone over 13 see it too.) It will open big, and if its de facto prequel "Batman v Superman" could make $872 million worldwide, well, anything's possible and quality has very little to do with it.

Another quote I liked in this review:

But folks, this is a lousy script, blobby like the endlessly beheaded minions of the squad's chief adversary. It's not satisfying storytelling; the flashbacks roll in and out, explaining either too much or too little, and the action may be violent but it's not interesting.

Plus, there's some brief shade thrown at the typical early fanboy reviews.

But don't worry, I'm sure they'll quickly announce an R-rated cut that will solve none of the problems but be used as a scapegoat for diehard fans!

scoobs

I'm legit shocked it's this bad. Going anyways, I love the batman universe too much not to. Wow though, DC fans just can't catch a break. Chris Nolan come back!!

Ithil

I'm not doubting the validity of these reviews as I haven't seen the movie yet, I'm just a bit annoyed that the Marvel films rate so high when so many of them have obvious flaws like the villains. But yeah, with this and Doomsday and Luthor in BvS, it looks like DC doesn't have strong villains anymore. And I don't know that WW (Ares?) and Justice League (Darkseid's uncle?) will change that.

Marvel has an issue with weak villains, but their weaker films like Thor 2 aren't "bad" as in badly made, they are just sort of bland and forgettable without much substance. They are competently shot, edited, paced, etc. They are an adequate generic blockbuster, in short, nothing you will remember, but nothing really to hate either.

This seems like the issues are bad pacing, editing, a poor script, etc. BvS had gaping technical flaws and fundamental script issues, those are much more offensive than just being bland with an underdeveloped villain as Thor 2 was.

I'm actually surprised, really, I thought this would be a solid, decent film, not transcendent but perfectly enjoyable. Never expected it to be slated like this.

ezekial45

Banned
Still seeing the movie this week.

Wonder Woman can still save us. Suicide Squad was made before the change up at DC films happened, so we're basically seeing the results of that mindset still with this movie.

Poor Patty Jenkins, she's about to get a lot of phone calls from a bunch of nervous executives.

Batman is now the only DC film I have a little bit of faith in thanks to Affleck. Come on DC, just get George Miller to make a Superman movie and then you can pack it up.

Levito

Banned
Are people really that surprised? The marketing and aesthetics for this film made it look like it was directed by a angst ridden tween that wears a Nightmare Before Christmas belt buckle. If this film came out in 2003 all the trailers would have Evanescence playing in the background.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom