• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.
4nC4fJG.gif

C´mon man.

Marvel has an issue with weak villains, but their weaker films like Thor 2 aren't "bad" as in badly made, they are just sort of bland and forgettable without much substance. They are competently shot, edited, paced, etc. They are an adequate generic blockbuster, in short, nothing you will remember, but nothing really to hate either.

This seems like the issues are bad pacing, editing, a poor script, etc. BvS had gaping technical flaws and fundamental script issues, those are much more offensive than just being bland with an underdeveloped villain as Thor 2 was.

I'm actually surprised, really, I thought this would be a solid, decent film, not transcendent but perfectly enjoyable. Never expected it to be slated like this.

Yeah, that's Marvel's greatest strength. At worst, their movies are slightly below average but never venture into disaster territory because they play it safe. The downside is that this never really allows for "great" movies, imo of course. But right now, I could use an average film from DC. Oh well, I'll see this soon, I might enjoy it as I did Man of Steel. I never thought it would rate lower than BvS though.

jrcbandit

Why did Iron Man 2 and Thor Dark World get a pass but Suicide Squad and Batman v Superman are universally hated by critics? I never watched the theatrical cut of B v S but I enjoyed the Ultimate Edition aside from the stupid dream sequences that should have been cut from the movie (should have just been a quick cut/surreal view of a destroyed city with omega symbol followed by Flash warning).

So I guess Apocalypse will be my favorite superhero movie of the year, wew

How can DC be this incompetent? And I was looking forward to this too.

Oddduck

http://comicsalliance.com/suicide-squad-review-the-dc-movie-universes-darkest-night/

3 out of 10

After one of the crummiest summer movie seasons in recent memory, asking one film to redeem four months of tepid blockbusters might have been a suicide mission in and of itself. But Suicide Squad doesn’t even come close.

From the first scene to the last, it’s an absolute mess, one whose harried pacing, jumbled narrative, and blaring soundtrack of radio hits suggests a desperate post-production attempt to reconfigure what Ayer got on set into something palatable and poppy. The movie opens with a shot of the logo for Belle Reve Prison, which serves as the Suicide Squad’s home base; the facility’s slogan is “’Til Death Do Us Part.” The direness of this movie, along with the staggering number of films yet to come in the DC cinematic universe, makes these words feel like the ultimate threat.

Darkgran

Yeah

It's a bad movie. I posted in one of the clips threads that if you think that (the clip) was bad just wait.

It's just a mess...

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Where the Ayer hate at, you guys were unforgiving with Snyder.

I need the Ayer hate!

Why did Iron Man 2 and Thor Dark World get a pass but Suicide Squad and Batman v Superman are universally hated by critics? I never watched the theatrical cut of B v S but I enjoyed the Ultimate Edition aside from the stupid dream sequences that should have been cut from the movie (should have just been a quick cut/surreal view of a destroyed city with omega symbol followed by Flash warning).

Because they're mediocre movies at worst. Some of DC's worst are absolute dumpster fires by comparison.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
THE DUDE HAS 'DAMAGED' TATTOOED ON HIS FOREHEAD AND THERE WERE PEOPLE ON THIS VERY FORUM WERE LIKE 'yeah man cool interpretation'

I mean what do you expect

vareon

Oh man, here's for a round two of DC movies vs Marvel movies nonsense. Going to watch it tomorrow, wish me luck lol.

Dying at the "casual sexism" comment in one of the reviews

Like of course... Did you watch the trailer... Harley spends much of it catering to male gaze. The most egregious example being when she bends over in front of the store window for the camera.

Chris1

Holy fuck.

Time to ring up Nolan with that blank cheque, actually, I doubt he wants to come anywhere near DC films now.

*clears throat*

That subtitle was not mine! It was not mine! I had no parts of this, I object to it's
very funny
usage, and I will update the OP UNDER PROTEST!

PROTEST!

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Ayer "fuck marvel"

Lets see if it can manage to get a higher rt score than bvs

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Iron Man 2 and Thor 2 are at their worst just dull. BvS is rife with script decisions and editing choices that are actively bad and make it seem like a sloppy, messy production and this sounds exactly the same

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom