• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ithil

I was always confused at the people who were like "omg the marketing's so good!!"

the humor in the trailers just seemed super lame to me. And yet another Bohemian Rhapsody trailer? Really?

The marketing was good. It made the film seem colourful and fun, in the GOTG vein.
That's why it's tracking to do well.

Now GOTG delivered and was very well received, seems this will not be, but the marketing for the film was definitely high quality, regardless of the film itself.

J_Viper

Well there goes that Harley Quinn solo flick, as if that was a good idea

Bet money WB will give Affleck anything to fast track Le Batman.

Sephzilla

Those scores...

D7ij6Nh.gif

EDIT - beaten on the gif

0 for 2 for the DCU in 2016 is not a good look. Not at all. You gotta start to wonder now if they will be able to correct course in time

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
How on earth are they that high.

I'd like to know that too. Those are average & close to awful comic movies. I guess that's why DC fans go insane lol

Chicago Tribune, 1.5 stars

Meanwhile we have this thing, this garish, overstaffed, overstuffed, blithely sadistic corporate directive disguised as a PG-13 summer movie for all ages. (You'd be pretty stupid to let anyone under 13 see it. Actually you'd be pretty stupid to let anyone over 13 see it too.) It will open big, and if its de facto prequel "Batman v Superman" could make $872 million worldwide, well, anything's possible and quality has very little to do with it.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Yikes. If IGN gave it a 5, that's a really bad sign. They tend to use kid gloves with the movie reviews, especially for the nerdy films.

I hope I like it. I'm already pissed after wasting time and money on Batman: The Killing Joke a few days ago. Just fucking entertain me, please.

PBY

Banned
Chicago Tribune, 1.5 stars

Meanwhile we have this thing, this garish, overstaffed, overstuffed, blithely sadistic corporate directive disguised as a PG-13 summer movie for all ages. (You'd be pretty stupid to let anyone under 13 see it. Actually you'd be pretty stupid to let anyone over 13 see it too.) It will open big, and if its de facto prequel "Batman v Superman" could make $872 million worldwide, well, anything's possible and quality has very little to do with it.

jesus fuuuuck

this is really bvs 2.0, wow. what the hell dc film team.

Ithil

DC is getting to be the Sin Cara of comic book franchises here. All that hype and presentation can't hide the botched moves.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
How can that be, this movie has of of the best trailers, just fill the rest with whatever.... Damn. Still going to see it, regardless of reviews - its a new joker and i have to see it.

The most important part of this all, Joker updates:

Screencrush said:
(For all his insane preparation, Leto’s Joker is basically just a 1930s gangster with green hair and bad tats; he never approaches the complexities of the men played by Jack Nicholson or Heath Ledger.)

The Independent said:
Leto’s Joker matches that of Heath Ledger in his gleeful and utterly psychotic malevolence - but, confusingly, he is not the main antagonist and is on screen only relatively briefly

Cut Print Film said:
As for Jared Leto, stepping into the iconic shoes of The Joker, don’t expect a game-changing performance like that of the late Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight. Leto’s Joker, covered in tattoos and dressed like a flashy gangbanger, certainly looks menacing, but the actor plays the character as if he were doing a bad James Cagney impression — he seems moments away from uttering “You dirty rat!” Any chemistry or history that the Joker or Harley might have is glossed over with quick jump-cuts and poor editing. We never get any sense of who this Joker is, or what he’s about. Sure, he’s a bad guy who kills people — but so what? What makes him so unique? Is it all those tattoos? There’s none of the cunning and none of the mischievousness that’s made the character so iconic for so many years. Here he’s just some dumb thug with green hair.

Hollywood Reporter said:
Unfortunately, Joker never feels properly integrated into the storyline but rather seems like a special guest star on hand to enliven the show when needed, which is increasingly often. Sporting tats, green hair and metal teeth, Leto brings a measure of the requisite unpredictability and evil glee to the role, but his Joker doesn’t threaten the big-screen hold on the public imagination that Jack Nicholson and then Heath Ledger established.

USA Today said:
And Leto’s weirdo take on the Clown Prince of Crime is a far cry from the late Heath Ledger, though it definitely works. A tattooed Tony Montana type, this Joker is a nightclub owner with a thing for bling and a psychopathic determination to find his main squeeze. His relatively brief screen time leaves you wanting more, and Leto and Robbie make a distinctly dynamic duo in their fleeting scenes together.

TimeOut said:
But what of Jared Leto’s The Joker? We see little of him, but he still threatens to steal the film. Leto plays The Joker like a volatile over-privileged teenager, though his voice hints at some older influences (a bit of Brando, a dash of Pacino, a hint of Anthony Hopkins).

Overall seems he's servicable at the very worst, and not given enough screen time to elaborate on him. Would've been quite hard to 'reinvent' the role as soon of the critics were hoping for IMO, especially with how DC were trying to do things...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
After one of the crummiest summer movie seasons in recent memory, asking one film to redeem four months of tepid blockbusters might have been a suicide mission in and of itself. But Suicide Squad doesn&#8217;t even come close. From the first scene to the last, it&#8217;s an absolute mess, one whose harried pacing, jumbled narrative, and blaring soundtrack of radio hits suggests a desperate post-production attempt to reconfigure what Ayer got on set into something palatable and poppy. The movie opens with a shot of the logo for Belle Reve Prison, which serves as the Suicide Squad&#8217;s home base; the facility&#8217;s slogan is &#8220;&#8217;Til Death Do Us Part.&#8221; The direness of this movie, along with the staggering number of films yet to come in the DC cinematic universe, makes these words feel like the ultimate threat.
Going great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom