• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jelly

So pacing is the most common problem everyone has been saying. That doesn't sound too bad.

It's one of the worst things about these DC films, they feel the need to scene jump back through time out of nowhere and drag scenes down for what seems like 2 hours then you enter the last 30 minutes of seizure town. Who the fuck is allowing that shit.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
whZ6Ba1.png

Divergent+vs+Insurgent+(Rotten+Tomatoes)

I'm just saying

Really thought this could be the first DCEU flick to be certified fresh. I'm wary of Wonder Woman since I don't think Gal's a very good actress. And I have no faith in JL because of Snyder.

jett

D-Member
DC is really dumpster fire. I watched BvS despite the abysmal reviews, I won't be making that mistake twice.

Sephzilla

Well now I fully expect Wonder Woman to suck and the enthusiasm I had after that Justice League trailer is gone.

The DCCU was a mistake

I'm not doubting the validity of these reviews as I haven't seen the movie yet, I'm just a bit annoyed that the Marvel films rate so high when so many of them have obvious flaws like the villains. But yeah, with this and Doomsday and Luthor in BvS, it looks like DC doesn't have strong villains anymore. And I don't know that WW (Ares?) and Justice League (Darkseid's uncle?) will change that.

It is now time to unapologetically toot my own horn:

I'm really confused... I feel like I'm taking crazy pills with all of these responses. Trailer was very "meh" to me. Seemed kinda cheesy. I still certainly don't like The Joker thus far. All the comments saying "this is the best trailer I've ever seen in my life" honestly just completely flabbergast me. I'm not saying it looks awful but I'm not really excited for this at all. To each their own, I guess!

Not very impressed at all. Not intimidating in the slightest. The whole movie looks shit TBH.

I know I'm in the minority but this just looks bad to me. I haven't been impressed with any of the trailers either.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
DC really needs better editors, editing is something that I rarely think is poorly done is films but it seems DC is now 2 for 2 is that department.

Oddduck

i09 review:

"Suicide Squad Is Chaotic, Manic, and a Total Mess"

http://io9.gizmodo.com/movie-review-suicide-squad-is-as-messy-and-weird-as-th-1784666704

In a way, the film mirrors the actual Squad itself—a bunch of interesting parts that would often work better alone than together. For instance, the main character of the film is Will Smith’s Deadshot; he’s the first person we meet and the character who gets the most backstory. It’s a strong story too, but it’s also so prevalent compared to almost every other character, at times the film feels like it should be called “Deadshot plus Six” instead of “Suicide Squad.”

[The Joker] is such an iconic, important villain, and yet he’s an afterthought in the film. There’s no big, meaty, iconic Joker scene for us to marvel at. His occasional appearances detract from the smaller characters the movie is actually about, to the point you almost wish he wasn’t in the movie at all.

Marvel checks cleared
"I don't trust reviews, I have to see for myself"
LOL IGN
Reviews don't always line up with the real world
"Still going to see it anyways"
WW and JL will save us
6/10 isn't necessarily bad
Scores mean nothing
I already knew scores would be bad
They rated it for what it isn't rather than what it was
Score disagrees with the text
The reviewer's expectations were wrong
"I feel sorry for people who can't form their own opinion"

SeanC

I'm seeing this on Friday after work.

If I end up not liking it, then I'm not going to bother going to DC movies anymore. I'll avoid them the same way I avoid Adam Sandler movies : I already know it'll be bad, I'm not wasting my money and time on it.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Comicbook.com

Suicide Squad is the fun, action-packed movie DC Comics fans have been waiting for, delivering two hours of great quips, crazy action sequences, a pitch-perfect Harley Quinn, and other actors stepping swiftly and easily into their roles. Its flaws will bother some more than others - comicbook fans? You won't have to worry. Moviegoers less familiar with this structure or being introduced to these characters for the first time will still find so much great character work that the flaws should be able to be overlooked in favor of a good time at the movies. It's crazy, sexy, funny, but most of all full of heart - several elements that the DC Films universe needed sooner rather than later. Ultimately, I left smiling, thinking and talking about the individual characters more than even the action, and wanting more. Whether that's in a full team sequel, solo movies for several of the characters, appearances by them in heroes' movies, I just hope this cast gets to continue building their world, and sooner rather than later.

4 out of 5 stars.

jelly

Really thought this could be the first DCEU flick to be certified fresh. I'm wary of Wonder Woman since I don't think Gal's a very good actress. And I have no faith in JL because of Snyder.

She doesn't shine in the trailer at all unfortunately. Looks the part and has a nice reaction or two but dialogue is yikes.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Welp.

It's one of the worst things about these DC films, they feel the need to scene jump back through time out of nowhere and drag scenes down for what seems like 2 hours then you enter the last 30 minutes of seizure town. Who the fuck is allowing that shit.

Yeah I rewatched BvS Uncut the other night and couldn't believe how many scenes were all over the place. It's like someone clicked a shuffle button and hoped for the best.

Lol the DC cinematic universe has just been a complete vapid mess after Nolan left. Even through the dark and serious tone of TDK trilogy, it never felt heavy handed and was constantly fun and immersive. This is why I have little to no faith in the Justice League film, even with all the overblown hyperbole hype during Comic-Con weekend.

mcrommert

Banned
This is one of the those movies where the "positive" reviews have quotes that are similar to "this movie is dogshit, but a character isn't the worst in it"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom