• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibbles

Needs more Joker and Harley
EIOf3SW.jpg

Auralnauts redeemed TDKR for me.

to this day ill never understand the hate for TDKR

I love all 3 of the films but the easiest one for me to watch is TDKR

--

they are just like the Metal Gear Solid series... I know MGS3 is the best (just like TDK is the best movie), but MGS2 and TDKR are my faves.

3N16MA

Banned
I doubt anything from Marvel will be rotten for a good while. Feige runs a tight ship and they have their formula that seems to work with critics.

Jobbs

Banned
I sure did! It was very fun! ^___^

yayy! I loved Deadpool, I thought it was so much fun and Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool is the best casting of anyone as anyone since ever!

not every joke was gold but ryan reynolds elevated the material and often could make me laugh without really even saying anything :D

PaBing'ah

Neo Member
just watched the movie.
the dialog between character is really really bad. The music timing is too random, I don't know how am I supposed to laugh or sad during the bar scene.

JxM8jjf.png
:p

People forget that the first Thor was as much as origin story for Loki as well.

Also, I kinda miss the frequent title change already.

The Thor films so far have a pattern of the Asgard/Odin family drama stuff being pretty good and everything else (especially everything Earthside and the Warriors Three) being seriously mediocre. Let's hope Ragnarok corrects that pattern.

I did not intend to hurt any Thor 2 fans. You will survive.
Dozensofus.gif

I do think people are too harsh on Thor movies, they're pretty mediocre but not offensively bad (as some pretend) and I'd watch both of them over one viewing of BVS or Fantastic 4, there really is no competition.

I'm so disappointed in Suicide Squad though.

Honestly, I feel like DC is going to get a fresh rating before Marvel gets a rotten one

I don't see Marvel getting anything rotten during Phase 3, Kevin Feige has more control than before and he has been planing Phase 3 since forever, I also think that Marvel is giving each movie the right treatment, no more Iron Man 3 or Thor 2 where the movies suddenly are disconnected from the universe (and I say this when I unironically like both movies and I have IM3 actually pretty high in my list) and newcomers are looking very strong, specially Black Panther, so yeah, that covers Marvel for a few years

So, right now, I believe there are 5 DC movies that are going to happen even if Warner decides to kill the DCEU before 2020:

• WW
  • Justice League
  • Aquaman
  • Flash
  • Batfleck movie

Unlike some, I actually don't believe WW is going to be fresh at all specially after that weak trailer, so this leaves Justice League, which is obviously going to get Rotten, Aquaman, which may or may not be in trouble, Flash, which has looked like a mess since day 1 and Batfleck, which is definitely going to be fresh

The question is, is any movie before Batfleck going to get a fresh score? And surprisingly my answer is yes: if James Wan doesn't leave Aquaman, this may actually be the first DCEU movie getting a fresh treatment in RT, it may be too late to save the DCEU, but I believe this is going to be the one movie that everyone is going to see in 10 years and think "If only Warner had treated the rest of the DCEU like this"

It also misses the point when people say "fun." Fun means that you enjoyed the film, that something about the film comes together to make you happy you spent the money/time to watch it.

That's my main problem with BvS (and I suspect Suicide Squad will have this issue) is that I don't feel like I'm watching something interesting. I feel fatigued just sitting there trying to pull plot or character or anything out of these movies. Man of Steel wasn't great, but damn if I couldn't get something out of it. BvS is just a giant waste of time and energy. There's just no point to it.

The Nolan Batman films aren't "funny" but they're incredibly fun (and I only really like Begins now, but they're all still fun). It's exciting, it's thrilling, there's suspense, good character acting. None of that exists in these other movies.

Agreed 100%. When audiences don't connect with BvS or MoS, it's not because there's a lack of humor or light-heartedness.. It's because neither the characters nor story is engaging enough to sufficiently entertain them. There's no compelling character work being done, no interesting developments at hand, just a 2-and-a-half hour movie that leaves you struggling to give a shit about anything that's happening on-screen.

And a lot of that has to do with how it's written. You don't care about Superman's struggle because Superman hardly shows any emotion to suggest he's struggling to begin with. Lex is just annoying, and that forced 'my dad abused me!' backstory was eye-rollingly lame. Batman had a couple of good scenes with Metropolis, but overall his mindset and decisions don't have you rooting for, but questioning him altogether. Lois Lane is a non-character, just a plot device to get Superman doing things.

The whole thing is boring and the length and pacing makes it a slog to get through. Couple that with a ton of ridiculous, head-scratching moments with extremely poor execution, and that's why BvS has the reception it does.

3N16MA

Banned
I don't care about Thor 2, your joke was just lame ��

I do make a lot of lame jokes as you can tell from my post history.

I accept your opinion.

Dozensofus.gif

I do think people are too harsh on Thor movies, they're pretty mediocre but not offensively bad (as some pretend) and I'd watch both of them over one viewing of BVS or Fantastic 4, there really is no competition.

I'm so disappointed in Suicide Squad though.

Thor 2 was just bland and forgettable . Felt like almost all filler and Marvel released it because they had to. The actors did a decent job (Hiddleston was great) and the film looked fine but it wasn't very entertaining.

Shit, critics are killing SS now, while it hasn't moved from 33% for a few hours now, its average rating went down from 5.4 to 4.9, so that means that even the last few fresh scores weren't that high

I had high hopes, but they have no one to blame but themselves.

How can you get Leto as the joker, and have it be a cameo, it doesn't even make sense, and how can you get David to direct this, he is not a good director at all in my opinion.

I see wasted opportunity everywhere.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I don't do many review threads. Are they always this batshit crazy?

I didn't expect this kind of response to Suicide Squad. It looked decent, although I didn't have high hopes after seeing the version of Harley Quinn they went with. She's probably my favorite DCU character, and I love Robbie as Harley, but I hate the alt-chick, short shorts and belly shirt look. I hate her look in the comics too. I think the hair and face makeup is great, but I think they could have made her original look work in film, just remove the jester hat. It's a classic fucking design that I want to see in real life. If they made Spider-Man's fucking costume work, they can make Harley's debut work in film. I blame the Arkham games for this fetish Harley look. But I digress.

I was on board for Suicide Squad because of Viola Davis. She's amazing in How To Get Away with Murder, and if there was an actress I'd have cast as the Wall that wasn't CCH Pounder, it was Davis. While me and my wife weren't chomping at the bit to see the movie, we were considering checking it out this weekend or next. Depends on our schedule. We've already seen too many damn movies in the theater, and tickets are between $18-$25 each in our area, so we aren't in a hurry.

They honestly could have done a movie based off of Mad Love, with Robbie and Leto, and it'd have been amazing. The Assault on Arkham animated movie was awesome too. I don't now why it was so hard to just look at what works with those characters, and adapt it to live action. Justice League War was an awesome JL Origin story as well that would have been really cool to see live action.

I love comic books. I'm a comic book artist/writer. I love it when I have lots of awesome comic book entertainment to enjoy. I love Marvel and DC both equally. I wanted the DCCU to come out the gates swinging, even if I loathed Man of Steel.

At this point, I'd love to see Image and Dark Horse step into the television and film ring. I want an Invincible series, dammit! Put it on Netflix or HBO, or a channel that isn't sanitized to high hell like most networks.

Goodstyle

Here's an easy, simple fucking way to make this movie good. Remember Batman Assault on Arkham? Do that! Make Joker the main villain, make him the chief obstacle to the Squad. Don't hang your entire fucking movie on Cara Delevingne. No disrespect to the actress, but she's too green to be the main villain of a big film, sorry. Have Leto as the chief antagonist, have Harley struggle with her alliances, make the threat more sophisticated than the generic nonsense that's being critiqued right now.

Don't make the Joker "Bad", make him "Evil". He shouldn't be some love sick puppy that plays a secondary role, when he can be the chief antagonist of your story. Imagine him going toe to toe with the Squad throughout the film, messing with Harley, and then getting his ass kicked in a glorious fashion at the end. Would have been amazing.

Here's an easy, simple fucking way to make this movie good. Remember Batman Assault on Arkham? Do that! Make Joker the main villain, make him the chief obstacle to the Squad. Don't hang your entire fucking movie on Cara Delevingne. No disrespect to the actress, but she's too green to be the main villain of a big film, sorry. Have Leto as the chief antagonist, have Harley struggle with her alliances, make the threat more sophisticated than the generic nonsense that's being critiqued right now.

Don't make the Joker "Bad", make him "Evil". He shouldn't be some love sick puppy that plays a secondary role, when he can be the chief antagonist of your story. Imagine him going toe to toe with the Squad throughout the film, messing with Harley, and then getting his ass kicked in a glorious fashion at the end. Would have been amazing.

The problem with making the Joker the villain you risk people getting tired of the character, look at what happened with the Arkham games, by the time Arkham Knight was released everyone was almost praying the Joker wouldn't appear at all

I'm surprised there isn't a "This movie will save the DCU" chalkboard meme at this point.

It was posted a few pages ago

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

I just looked her up and have to say that girl knows the fucking hustle.

Outside of not just being a model for VS, Channel, BlueBerry, and most major brands in the past five years. She has also starred in some 12 films, Few episodes on TV, Music videos for ASAP Ferg, Taylor Swift, Die Antwood, VA for GTA and COD, designing clothing lines for DNKY and Mulberry, Sings, plays guitar and drums with her own albums. She is also dating St. Vincent.

All in 5 years and she is only 23. I feel useless now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom