• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kickz

Wonder Woman will save the DCEU!

8gFRKSd.gif

Nolans trilogy is good but Batman himself is just fucking atrocious--nearly unwatchable in the trilogy. Bruce Wayne is ....acceptable, but that Batman...good god. I might actually prefer Joel Schumacher versions by comparison.

Tabarin

Banned
Will watch today in a few hours.

I was sad about all the bad reviews but Jeremy liked so Im probably gonna at least enjoy it :)

Nolans trilogy is good but Batman himself is just fucking atrocious--nearly unwatchable in the trilogy. Bruce Wayne is ....acceptable, but that Batman...good god. I might actually prefer Joel Schumacher versions by comparison.

I don't care what people say: Val Kilmer remains my favorite Batman. Too bad his Bruce Wayne is beyond atrocious.

Rogan

Banned
There was a guy on youtube who went crazy over Batman V Superman, watched it 8 or 9 times on release. Did he post anything? I can't find his channel.

Val's Wayne was weird, actually insecure around women if I recall, does that have any basis in the comics?

It's a carry-over from Keaton's Wayne, who like all Tim Burton protagonists is an introverted weirdo. IMO the best Batman would combine Kilmer's Batman and either Bale or Clooney's Wayne.

I have no hope for future DC movies, well maybe Batman because it has a good writer Ben Affleck.

Maybe then they'll realize they need good writers and a good director to make these movies highly noted and good spoken by the public.

Goodstyle

The problem with making the Joker the villain you risk people getting tired of the character, look at what happened with the Arkham games, by the time Arkham Knight was released everyone was almost praying the Joker wouldn't appear at all

That makes sense on paper, but the Joker has honestly been the best part of all those games, and the series as a whole was thematically centred on his relationship with Batman. I guess there's an argument on why he could have ended up being boring, but in the end he was such a fun presence in all of those games.

I just looked her up and have to say that girl knows the fucking hustle.

Outside of not just being a model for VS, Channel, BlueBerry, and most major brands in the past five years. She has also starred in some 12 films, Few episodes on TV, Music videos for ASAP Ferg, Taylor Swift, Die Antwood, VA for GTA and COD, designing clothing lines for DNKY and Mulberry, Sings, plays guitar and drums with her own albums. She is also dating St. Vincent.

All in 5 years and she is only 23. I feel useless now.

Jesus. This girl's also dating St. Vincent? Is there anything she CAN'T do!?
Besides be the main villain of a big comicbook movie...

But seriously, she's basically my age, and I feel inadequate now lol.

I'm surprised there isn't a "This movie will save the DCU" chalkboard meme at this point.

Probably it's just sad at this point. Everybody including casual geeks thought they couldn't possibly fuck up a Suicide Squad movie. Well apparently they did.

Also WB lifting the embargo 3 days before NA release, probably will cost them 20 million BO.

Bale's Wayne is my fav for sure, but I think my fav Batman would be Conroy.

Haha I was speaking solely about live action actors. Obviously Conroy shits on everyone else.

Probably it's just sad at this point. Everybody including casual geeks thought they couldn't possibly fuck up a Suicide Squad movie. Well apparently they did.

Also WB lifting the embargo 3 days before NA release, probably will cost them 20 million BO.

I wouldn't be shocked at all if WW and JL's embargo doesn't lift until the day of release.

Rooster12

Here's an easy, simple fucking way to make this movie good. Remember Batman Assault on Arkham? Do that! Make Joker the main villain, make him the chief obstacle to the Squad.

Don't make the Joker "Bad", make him "Evil". He shouldn't be some love sick puppy that plays a secondary role, when he can be the chief antagonist of your story. Imagine him going toe to toe with the Squad throughout the film, messing with Harley, and then getting his ass kicked in a glorious fashion at the end. Would have been amazing.

I pretty much agree.

Have only 4 or 5 Squad members, flesh them out.

The team should be Deadshot (leader), Enchantress (magic girl), Croc (big dumb guy), Slipknot (comic relief dude), and El Diablo (Wildcard)

That's it. Have them do some Arkham or whatever mission, they run into the Joker and Harley during the middle of the movie. Now here's where something important happens, Deadshot does something that pisses off the Joker, tries to double-cross him or whatever.

Now Joker gets pissed, last act Joker kidnaps Deadshot's daughter and does some twisted shit to her. Now it gets personal. Boom...there you go.

Now you get this Deadshot vs Batman vs Joker triangle thing going. Go wild with that.

Platy

A brazilian critic that I follow on twitter started his youtube review joking that he needed to make a disclamer that he is payed by marvel to rate the DC movies lower.

Also that this movie is "shit" and Jaret Leto's performance deserves a Golden Raspberry Award.

His full serious review is not written already... but will be glorious, and counted by RottenTomatoes xD

That makes sense on paper, but the Joker has honestly been the best part of all those games, and the series as a whole was thematically centred on his relationship with Batman. I guess there's an argument on why he could have ended up being boring, but in the end he was such a fun presence in all of those games.

Yeah, the Arkham series Joker was really well-written (and obviously Mark Hamill was doing great work).

I think, if anything, Arkham Knight dropped the ball by totally abandoning the OTHER major subplots (the Warden Sharp/League of Assassins stuff and Titan), which was a through line through all three of the other games in the series. Scarecrow's stuff was totally unrelated to any of that, and the primary purpose of the Arkham Knight was to tie back to the Joker side of the plot.

I think the lesson to take away for the films is that the Joker is great and doesn't have to be just a one-off villain, but Batman can't *just* be about him and the Joker.

J_Viper

Wasn't 300 a huge success at the box office, as well as a hit with audiences?

I'm just saying, Snyder has made a crowd-pleaser before. With the right script, it's not impossible for it to happen again.

Let's just hope Terrio comes though...

byv2zuN.png

Yukinari

I watched The Killing Joke like 2 days ago so its only downhill from here if i go see Suicide Squad. At least Killing Joke had a fantastic 2nd half.

Justice League will be fresh. I'd imagine Superman shows up in the last ten minutes to save the day, and without his presence it's going to be Bats and co.

Supes is just a huge huge drag in general with Snyder.

ryseing

I just looked her up and have to say that girl knows the fucking hustle.

Outside of not just being a model for VS, Channel, BlueBerry, and most major brands in the past five years. She has also starred in some 12 films, Few episodes on TV, Music videos for ASAP Ferg, Taylor Swift, Die Antwood, VA for GTA and COD, designing clothing lines for DNKY and Mulberry, Sings, plays guitar and drums with her own albums. She is also dating St. Vincent.

All in 5 years and she is only 23. I feel useless now.

It's the magic of the eyebrows. How else does Emilia Clarke still get work?

Rooster12

Yeah, the Arkham series Joker was really well-written (and obviously Mark Hamill was doing great work).

I think, if anything, Arkham Knight dropped the ball by totally abandoning the OTHER major subplots (the Warden Sharp/League of Assassins stuff and Titan), which was a through line through all three of the other games in the series. Scarecrow's stuff was totally unrelated to any of that, and the primary purpose of the Arkham Knight was to tie back to the Joker side of the plot.

I think the lesson to take away for the films is that the Joker is great and doesn't have to be just a one-off villain, but Batman can't *just* be about him and the Joker.

We all know Batman has tons of great villains.

But you wouldn't know that playing the Arkham games...it's mainly just Joker...all the other villains gets treated like shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom