• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cLOUDo

This quote from David Edlestein's review sums up one of my biggest problems with "Suicide Squad".

The movie advertises itself as a suicide mission where not everyone will make it out alive. But Warner Bros needs 90% of Suicide Squad's characters to remain alive so they can appear in future solo films, spinoffs, and sequels, for Batman, The Flash, etc. So the film never fully lives up to its premise of feeling like a "suicide mission".

holy crack that review xD

Rooster12

This quote from David Edlestein's review sums up one of my biggest problems with "Suicide Squad".

The movie advertises itself as a suicide mission where not everyone will make it out alive. But Warner Bros needs 90% of Suicide Squad's characters to remain alive so they can appear in future solo films, spinoffs, and sequels, for Batman, The Flash, etc. So the film never fully lives up to its premise of feeling like a "suicide mission".

Well in the comics they survive too...yeah I mean a lot do die but the main characters like Deadshot, Boomerang, Bronze Tiger, Bane, Vixen all live obviously.

Jobbs

Banned
it didnt have any training montage :3

yyyyyyyyyussssssssssssssss someone gets it ♥♥♥♥♥

...and that's all, like, your opinion, man, and one that is evidently not shared by the majority of the critics or the public. Clearly DC can try to cater to fans of their movies like you all they want, but it won't bring them money or success.

I don't care if they have money or success or not. I was just pointing out originally that I'm quite okay with Suicide Squad having a middling RT score, if anything I'm more likely to go see it than if it had a high score -- because RT has been very unreliable at reflecting my taste when it comes to superhero schlock. What critics listed on RT think makes a good superhero movie makes no sense to me.

For what it's worth, my favorite comic book movies that come to mind are Dredd, Raimi Spiderman 2, and Deadpool

rdytoroll

Iron man 3 is a better movie than anything DC has put out the past 7 years.

giphy.gif

That's the most boring Marvel has put out in a decade. BvS was much better and more fun

yyyyyyyyyussssssssssssssss someone gets it ♥♥♥♥♥

no jobbsie :< you... you are going to a place i can't follow :<

im just one of the muggle girls who didn't grow up on comic books when was a child so i dont have the creds to be snobbish about my comic book movies

i got converted into the love for comic book movies by thor

and though now i love all kinds of comic book movies (including bvs), i do not have the high hat to turn my nose up at the franchise that introduced me to the entire thing

thor will always be a soft spot for me.

Jobbs

Banned
no jobbsie :< you... you are going to a place i can't follow :<

im just one of the muggle girls who didn't grow up on comic books when was a child so i dont have the creds to be snobbish about my comic book movies

i got converted into the love for comic book movies by thor

and though now i love all kinds of comic book movies (including bvs), i do not have the high hat to turn my nose up at the franchise that introduced me to the entire thing

thor will always be a soft spot for me.

:O

I'm not snobbish at all on comic books XD I barely have read any comic books

:O

I'm not snobbish at all on comic books XD I barely have read any comic books

uh.... you're the one that says one training montage from ben affleck batman trumped all mcu movies, right?

i enjoy almost all comic book movies and watch them all now, even fantastic four, all of them. but yeah, thor was the beginning point for me and a lot of my girlfriends also enjoy that his franchise is the most accessible for us. i think marvel unlocked a subset of audience that wasn't previously into superheroes with thor. i am quite aware that thor's fanbase is girl-strong. and im also aware that a lot of the core superhero fans derided thor for that. it's ... fine. it's understandable. but for girls like me, thor is the one that took us through the journey so i can't hate.

boiled goose

good with gravy
giphy.gif

That's the most boring Marvel has put out in a decade. BvS was much better and more fun

It's amazing how people assert their opinions as fact.

I mean.. consensus isn't absolute but it's pretty much the most objective measure of how good a movie is.

Critics and regular folk don't agree with you.
Get over yourself.

Sanctuary

So how do you think the output of the DCU sans the Nolan trilogy will affect public perception? From what I've read elsewhere, "most of the public" don't really discriminate between Marvel or DCU (or Fox and Sony for that matter) and just see all of them as "Superhero" or "Comic Book" movies. Do you think this will affect Disney's billion dollar machine at all and that it might kill off these kinds of movies earlier than it would have if people simply got bored with them from fatigue?

Jobbs

Banned
uh.... you're the one that says one training montage from ben affleck batman trumped all mcu movies, right?

i enjoy almost all comic book movies and watch them all now, even fantastic four, all of them. but yeah, thor was the beginning point for me and a lot of my girlfriends also enjoy that his franchise is the most accessible for us. i think marvel unlocked a subset of audience that wasn't previously into superheroes with thor. i am quite aware that thor's fanbase is girl-strong. and im also aware that a lot of the core superhero fans derided thor for that. it's ... fine. it's understandable. but for girls like me, thor is the one that took us through the journey so i can't hate.

Okay I'll stop disliking Thor in your honor :D

And Batfleck was so awesome I just loved every minute of him on screen. When they make a pure Batfleck movie without any Superman crap it'll probably be my favorite superhero comic ever

Papacheeks

Banned
giphy.gif

HAHAHAHAHAH........HAHAHAHA! BVS more fun? There is no fucking fun in BVS what so ever.

Even though everyone hates on Iron man 3 I really enjoyed it, regardless of some of the stupid sub plots with pepper.

And for the record Iron man 3 sits at 79% on rotten.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Oh you want an explanation? I was reading through the RT's reviews yesterday, and lots of them (not all) made comparisons to Marvel flicks, in my honest opinion, it's unfair to compare an established "universe" that has been running for years with something that's just started, it's also unprofessional to derive from talking about the movie to compare it with something else, a movie should be reviewed on its own.

Umm. Ssimilar things will be compared. Fox's movies are also evaluated. Xmen generally good. Fantastic 4 generally terrible.

Fantastic 4 was not great before mcu. Fan4 stic terrible after mcu. Original xmen trilogy good except x3 before mcu. First class trilogy good overall.

Deadpool good after mcu. Wolverine origins bad before mcu.

Movies get compared, but they fall or stand on their own.

The failures of man of steel, bvs, and suicide squad are transparent pretty objective and universal problems.

Bad scripts, bad characterization, messy plots, choppy editing.

These are things that are bad in any genre.

Okay I'll stop disliking Thor in your honor :D

And Batfleck was so awesome I just loved every minute of him on screen. When they make a pure Batfleck movie without any Superman crap it'll probably be my favorite superhero comic ever

hahaha you dont have to stop disliking it :>

and yes ben affleck is super pretty *___* like, heartthrob pretty *____*

but i liked henry cavill's superman too :> and wonderwoman was great too :>

(see, i just love stuff now :< i can't help it. it's like falling to an entire new world and liking every toy in store. it's all shiny to me. it's okay, i understand if you think im plebeian XD i AM a new convert, after all..... but there's a fair few of us and i hope there's room for us, is all)

As a side note: What are GAF's feelings on Scott Mendelson at Forbes? I'm always struck by his sort of creepy profile pic next to his reviews and was astounded by what a difference his head being tilted upward made.

5e0887272964be6b258946209a00ffa2

ScottMendelson12.08_099b_.jpg

Imagine the brilliance of a Jai Courtney death scene. Serious contender for Oscars.

jmood88

Oh you want an explanation? I was reading through the RT's reviews yesterday, and lots of them (not all) made comparisons to Marvel flicks, in my honest opinion, it's unfair to compare an established "universe" that has been running for years with something that's just started, it's also unprofessional to derive from talking about the movie to compare it with something else, a movie should be reviewed on its own.
There is nothing unfair or unprofessional about comparing and contrasting two things that are similar and that isn't something that reviewers have saved for DC movies.

Jobbs

Banned
hahaha you dont have to stop disliking it :>

and yes ben affleck is super pretty *___* like, heartthrob pretty *____*

but i liked henry cavill's superman too :> and wonderwoman was great too :>

(see, i just love stuff now :< i can't help it. it's like falling to an entire new world and liking every toy in store. it's all shiny to me. it's okay, i understand if you think im plebeian XD i AM a new convert, after all..... but there's a fair few of us and i hope there's room for us, is all)

Wonderwoman was really beautiful! Turned out to be good casting. I'd watch her movie. Not quite as sure about Aquaman though (starring the Dothraki guy)

I should stop disliking things but something forces me to watch almost all the comic book movies even if I don't think I'll like them.. Like I knew I'd hate ant-man then I watched it and hated it hahaha

I think I prefer comedy/silliness when it's more understated or deadpanned or dry... And Marvel just pours it on most the time

jmood88

So how do you think the output of the DCU sans the Nolan trilogy will affect public perception? From what I've read elsewhere, "most of the public" don't really discriminate between Marvel or DCU (or Fox and Sony for that matter) and just see all of them as "Superhero" or "Comic Book" movies. Do you think this will affect Disney's billion dollar machine at all and that it might kill off these kinds of movies earlier than it would have if people simply got bored with them from fatigue?
The fact that Marvel Studios movies consistently make more money than Fox or Sony's should tell you that general audiences can discern the differences between the studios.

giphy.gif

Iron Man 3, boring? You can say that about the Chris Hemsworth Nordic-inspired movies *wink* but IM3 is definitely not a boring movie. You may not have liked the kid, probably not the Mandarin twist, but I don't know how you'd call it boring.

Wonderwoman was really beautiful! Turned out to be good casting. I'd watch her movie. Not quite as sure about Aquaman though (starring the Dothraki guy)

I should stop disliking things but something forces me to watch almost all the comic book movies even if I don't think I'll like them.. Like I knew I'd hate ant-man then I watched it and hated it hahaha

I think I prefer comedy/silliness when it's more understated or deadpanned or dry... And Marvel just pours it on most the time

i likey dark and i likey funsies both i guess (i loved ant-man omg)

.... maybe it's like when person discover anime for the first time and just discovering there's so much stuff and goodies in it

that's how i feel about superheroes movies atm

i appreciating all sorts of things left and right. once i acclimatized i might be jaded too. i hope it wont be for a while though :>

Memento

Iron Man 3, boring? You can say that about the Chris Hemsworth Nordic-inspired movies *wink* but IM3 is definitely not a boring movie. You may not have liked the kid, probably not the Mandarin twist, but I don't know how you'd call it boring.

I agree with him. It is one of the most boring Marvel movies alogside Thor. It is very bad.

Got the critical Consensus up in the OP.

If you haven't seen it:

Suicide Squad boasts a talented cast and a little more humor than previous DCEU efforts, but they aren't enough to save the disappointing end result from a muddled plot, thinly written characters, and choppy directing.

Anth0ny

Shame about the review score but I'm still gonna see it, I really liked Batman v Superman too despite its lukewarm reception. Gonna watch the Ultimate Edition later today

Also, why do so many people hate Thor 2? That movie was really fun, just as good as the first one

it's just used as a punching bag for the MCU because it's generally accepted as the worst film

even though Loki was fucking great in it

Jobbs

Banned
i likey dark and i likey funsies both i guess (i loved ant-man omg)

.... maybe it's like when person discover anime for the first time and just discovering there's so much stuff and goodies in it

that's how i feel about superheroes movies atm

i appreciating all sorts of things left and right. once i acclimatized i might be jaded too. i hope it wont be for a while though :>

yeah I just talk about my own opinion, I wouldn't make assumptions about anyone else if they liked something I didn't like :D Obviously I have unpopular taste in movies judging by RT hehehe

Did you like Deadpool??

Oersted

The whole dark vs funny is such a non-issue. Nolan's Batman is tonally dark and pretty bleak to look at, but has tons of jokes.

jmood88

The whole dark vs funny is such a non-issue. Nolan's Batman is tonally dark and pretty bleak to look at, but has tons of jokes.
It's all part of a fanboy argument that Marvel movies are all slapstick, candy and rainbows, comedy while DC movies are trying to elevate comic book movies to high art with deep themes.

boiled goose

good with gravy
It's all part of a fanboy argument that Marvel movies are all slapstick, candy and rainbows, comedy while DC movies are trying to elevate comic book movies to high art with deep themes.

As if the Nolan Batman movies weren't praised and Batman vs Robin panned.

It's quality vs garbage. Nothing to do with tone.

NastyBook

OléGunner;212360844 said:
Do people genuinely troll the Nolan Batman trilogy films as pure shit or is that a Gaf meme I missed? :/
IMHO, they're overrated. The action was terrible in all three films, and the only things that even help me remember the third one are taliadying.gif and Auralnauts Bane.

It also misses the point when people say "fun." Fun means that you enjoyed the film, that something about the film comes together to make you happy you spent the money/time to watch it.

That's my main problem with BvS (and I suspect Suicide Squad will have this issue) is that I don't feel like I'm watching something interesting. I feel fatigued just sitting there trying to pull plot or character or anything out of these movies. Man of Steel wasn't great, but damn if I couldn't get something out of it. BvS is just a giant waste of time and energy. There's just no point to it.

The Nolan Batman films aren't "funny" but they're incredibly fun (and I only really like Begins now, but they're all still fun). It's exciting, it's thrilling, there's suspense, good character acting. None of that exists in these other movies.

IMHO, they're overrated. The action was terrible in all three films, and the only things that even helps me remember the third one is taliadying.gif and Auralnauts Bane.
I'm Bane, yes, that's my name.
When you hear the name Bane, I guarantee the pain.
I'm coming after you, Bruce Wayne.
I'm stronger, smarter, and clinically insane.

3N16MA

Banned
Can we trust any of theses critics who gave Turd 2 a decent review? If you think Turd 2 is decent then I have doubts about your opinion when it comes to films.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom