• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad Review Thread: As Fresh As Green Lantern!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Between Marvel's predictable, paint-by-numbers formula (complete with utterly forgettable villains) and DC's baffling lack of cohesive screenwriting, quality direction, and sensible editing decisions...I just want this whole comic book genre craze to die.

These films just aren't doing it for me anymore.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Why did Iron Man 2 and Thor Dark World get a pass but Suicide Squad and Batman v Superman are universally hated by critics? I never watched the theatrical cut of B v S but I enjoyed the Ultimate Edition aside from the stupid dream sequences that should have been cut from the movie (should have just been a quick cut/surreal view of a destroyed city with omega symbol followed by Flash warning).

Oh come on. There is no conspiracy or "Marvel Money." As said above Iron Man 2 & Thor 2, while certainly not Marvel's best outings, are nowhere near as awful as BvS (or as bad as Suicide Squad appears to be).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I can't wait to see the reviews for Wonder Woman, where judging by the trailer, the film has the personality and intrigue of a wooden board.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Via Vanity Fair's review:

giphy.gif

Can't wait for the elaborate theories that this is the result of Ayer saying "Fuck Marvel."

I was really looking forward to this one and thought it looked amazing. Looks like that reshoot rumor was true then, if the tonal mess part is to be believed.

mcrommert

Banned
I don't know how anyone thought this thing would be good....was obvious from the trailers and the way they used queen's music to try and prop it up

Timu

Savage reviews...

Is Man of Steel gonna be the highest rated DCCU movie or will Wonder Woman and Justice League change that.

Ah, 35%, so it's higher than BvS at least so far.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Well I guess that solves it. Going to go see Star Trek this weekend and I was not a fan of the first two but Suicide Squad is looking more like a trainwreck at this point.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Why did Iron Man 2 and Thor Dark World get a pass but Suicide Squad and Batman v Superman are universally hated by critics? I never watched the theatrical cut of B v S but I enjoyed the Ultimate Edition aside from the stupid dream sequences that should have been cut from the movie (should have just been a quick cut/surreal view of a destroyed city with omega symbol followed by Flash warning).

I haven't seen Suicide Squad, but I'll say that these films aren't as smart as they think they are. Which is fine if they can be entertaining. I hated Thor 2 and Iron Man 2 was extremely disappointing, but those movies are tonally more of your traditional blockbusters. People make fun of the idea that "Marvel has quips!" but that helps a lot. These aren't well crafted dramas. So having a dour tone 100% of the time just isn't going to fly. The story and the characters that are being written aren't nuanced enough to support that. That doesn't mean they can't be but it sure as hell wasn't in Batman vs Superman. Critically, you'll probably get a pass from more reviewers if you at least put a variety of ingredients into the soup and make it more like things that they've seen before.

How many more flops will it take before Warner Bros realizes that the people they have in charge of making these movies have a fundamental misunderstanding of what made DC comics popular in the first place? I'm going with 2.

I remember the BvS review thread making my heart sink. This time I'm just numb. What are you doing to me, DC? The good news is Star Trek isn't out in my country until mid-august so summer might end on a good note.

maxcriden

I can't wait to see the reviews for Wonder Woman, where judging by the trailer, the film has the personality and intrigue of a wooden board.

It's like they took that old timey photo of her from BvS and just left it on the screen for 120 mins.

Liamario

Banned
I don't know how anyone thought this thing would be good....was obvious from the trailers and the way they used queen's music to try and prop it up
The trailers never sold me and there was definitely big effort put into the trailers (though the jokes still didn't land).

-griffy-

Banned
WB sweating now. That LOTR/Harry Potter/Dark Knight combo of critical acclaim, awards, big box office, and public love is fading into history fast. They gotta be praying Magical Beasts is a winner, cause every other thing they are violently forcing into that empty franchise space is just not doing it.

Arkeband

Banned
THE DUDE HAS 'DAMAGED' TATTOOED ON HIS FOREHEAD AND THERE WERE PEOPLE ON THIS VERY FORUM WERE LIKE 'yeah man cool interpretation'

I mean what do you expect

I need to go re-read my thread on Jared Leto following people around NYC trying out different laughs. The hope and optimism is going to hurt very, very bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom