• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh awesome, Sentai even licensed Hiiro no Kakera

Sentai Filmworks is pleased to announce their acquisition of Hiiro no Kakera ~ The Tamayori Princess Saga. Director Bob Shirohata (Gravitation, Hetalia Axis Powers) and script writer Yoshiko Nakamura bring this otherworldly tale of fate to life with help from character designs by Naoyuki Onda (To-Y, Gantz) and music by Hikaru Nanase (Kimikiss: Pure Rouge, Canaan).

Hiiro no Kakera ~ The Tamayori Princess Saga will begin release through select digital outlets soon with a home video release to follow.

1stStrike

Banned
Holy crap guys. I come back from work and we're already over 500 posts. It'll take me forever to read all of these D:

Anyway, I'm starting Mysterious Girlfriend X today since I've seen so many people hyping it up.

Holy crap guys. I come back from work and we're already over 500 posts. It'll take me forever to read all of these D:

Anyway, I'm starting Mysterious Girlfriend X today since I've seen so many people hyping it up.

It's quite good, and I'm sure Gravijah would agree with me.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Bah, I thought they would stream it.

Either way, it looks like they are announcing 10 titles today, so chances are the shows I'm watching will get picked up

Dang. They really don't want to leave fans wanting more after the huge amount of shows they picked up during the spring season.

Great pick.

Makoto

Here's the live streams from the con floor:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/live
ibarDqYOgaqewk.png

scaled.php

Am curious about the Soubi Yamamto interview and Steve Blum panel.

Ultimadrago

I don't know about "hyping it up", but it's pretty consistent from episode to episode. Regardless, a nice choice from recent showings.

I don't really have much of a problem with Karou's behaviour in episode 6. It doesn't seem like he's ever managed to find a companion who he feels as strongly about as Sentaro so I actually buy his jealousy and childishness. We've all had moments where we've acted out of character before so I think it was fine.

Meh. Kaoru's a teenager with a history of social isolation, he has an immature outburst of petty jealousy at perceived potential loss of a friend - that I can buy. I just feel that the way it was portrayed didn't sell it to me;
fang boy doesn't seem enough of a serious threat and Kaoru's actions on the beach seem wildly sudden and overdramatic.
Admittedly, some of my dislike might be retroactively reading my frustration back,
as Kaoru continues to believe in a petty and irrational manner in his relationships with Sen and Ritsuko, all the way up to his graduation and departure. If this is supposed to be a coming-of-age story, it doesn't feel like Kaoru has actually come of age. The way the timeskip ending tries to cover this over by "Hey look Kaoru found Sen, and now they're jamming, and oh here's Ritsuko randomly showing up - isn't it great that the band's back together?" - it leaves the unresolved issues in their relationships smouldering in an unsatisfactory manner that makes it feel like the journey has been mostly pointless.

Now, the finale I have some problems with. On reflection:
How we even arrived at the set up for the final episode is hugely contrived.

At the start of the penultimate episode Sen is about to run away from home because he fears being ostracised upon his father's return but in reality it turns out that his father is a changed man and Sen is accepted in his home. Then the accident happens, and suddenly he decides to leave even though, miraculously, no one has been badly hurt. This...doesn't make much sense. I can buy him leaving because of his father, but not because of this random accident that left no permanent damage. It just feels weird that he'd abandon everything, including his siblings who I assumed he'd want to support emotionally and financially.

It's not true that no one had been badly hurt, as Sachiko was initially in a coma and the doctors said she might never wake again (this was kind of glossed over, unfortunately). So Sen blames himself for this, saying "Why do I always hurt those who I want to protect?", and presumably leaves because he feels that staying around will only further harm his family. But... this still doesn't make a lot of sense. Why was Sachiko on the back of his motorcycle anyway? This whole plotline is very sketchy - maybe the manga fleshes it out in a more comprehensible manner, but the anime certainly dropped the ball here.

When we see him again in the finale he has become a priest, which is fine I suppose. But then when he hears the organ being played he says 'I thought this day would some day'. Did you? Did you really think that, in the whole of Japan someone who previously knew you might happen to see a photograph of you at some random wedding and that that person would miraculously bump into Karou and show it to him so that they'd be reunited? Because that seems incredibly unlikely.

I don't have a problem with this. If you want to believe that you will be reunited with that special person one day because of destiny of whatever, that's fine. I can understand that. It's not like Sen indicated he had any idea of the specific means by which he would be reunited with Kaoru. What I do have a problem with is that over the eight year gap the two of them would not make any attempts to reach out to each other. At the very least, I would have hoped that Sen, after presumably getting his life together, would have contacted his family to let them know he's alright. Maybe some of that did happen in the manga portions that were cut out, but again, this is a mark of poor and clumsy planning on the part of Shinichiro Watanabe and the other anime staff.

Jex

It's not true that no one had been badly hurt, as Sachiko was initially in a coma and the doctors said she might never wake again (this was kind of glossed over, unfortunately). So Sen blames himself for this, saying "Why do I always hurt those who I want to protect?", and presumably leaves because he feels that staying around will only further harm his family
I wasn't saying that Sachiko wasn't badly hurt - I was just saying that, after a remarkably short amount of time she had miraculously recovered so no actual damage was done. It's not she received any permanent damage that we know of. Which, in itself is a cop-out.
At the very least, I would have hoped that Sen, after presumably getting his life together, would have contacted his family to let them know he's alright. Maybe some of that did happen in the manga portions that were cut out, but again, this is a mark of poor and clumsy planning on the part of Shinichiro Watanabe and the other anime staff.
Right, it all boils down to the length of the work they were adapting. I think it's really interesting that a far more junior director in terms of experience, Ei Aoki, took a completely different approach when he adapted Wandering Son and he was far more successful with it.

Rather than an attempting to cram the whole manga into 11 episodes he knew that he couldn't do it, so he chopped off the front and compressed that arc into flashbacks and then he chose a particular moment in the story to be the cut-off and finale. This led to a number of people saying "but all this important stuff was skipped!" or "they should have started at the beginning" but the path he chose to go with the adaptation worked really well and it respected the limits of the shows episode count.

jman2050

Yuru Yuri 3-4

3 was pretty good. 4 not so much. I wish that white-haired girl wasn't in this show cause she's ruining every scene she's in.

The jokes are pretty hit or miss but to the show's credit when it hits it hits hard. The end to episode 3 was pretty awesome in that regard. Kyoko seems to be the main purveyor of all the good jokes, whether its her and Yui or her and Ayano. Yui plays the stock dependable girl well enough. Chinatsu is just sort of there so far. I dunno, I guess after watching Kuuko muck about for twelve weeks this less manic sort of yuribait here isn't doing anything for me on the comedy side of things.

If Nichijou is funny 20% of the time then this show is somewhere in the area of eh, 50-60% or so?

Accel World 12

Exposition between just Scarlet Rain and Black Lotus was kind of boring as usual, but
she really just accepted her back even after being blasted by her, what even Kuroyukihime?! The sob story wasn't even that good

I liked the action and was actually pleased with
Cyan Pile's return, was so afraid Taku lost Brain burst but I forgot the recovery rule as well as that glorious finishing move Judgmento Blow and the Transition Time

I wasn't saying that Sachiko wasn't badly hurt - I was just saying that, after a remarkably short amount of time she had miraculously recovered so no actual damage was done. It's not she received any permanent damage that we know of. Which, in itself is a cop-out.

It's understandable why Sen thought there would be permanent damage, considering what the doctor said. Of course, I agree that it ended up being a cop-out, and the lack of regard the narrative showed for what Sachiko and her family went through is kind of shocking. This may be a controversial statement, but Key has handled similar events better.

Right, it all boils down to the length of the work they were adapting. I think it's really interesting that a far more junior director in terms of experience, Ei Aoki, took a completely different approach when he adapted Wandering Son and he was far more successful with it.

Rather than an attempting to cram the whole manga into 11 episodes he knew that he couldn't do it, so he chopped off the front and compressed that arc into flashbacks and then he chose a particular moment in the story to be the cut-off and finale. This led to a number of people saying "but all this important stuff was skipped!" or "they should have started at the beginning" but the path he chose to go with the adaptation worked really well and it respected the limits of the shows episode count.

Both Wandering Son and Usagi Drop last year were really successful in how they adapted their source material. They had more volumes of manga to pull from than Kids on the Slope, but found sections they could extract to make a successful stand-alone package without feeling rushed or disjointed. It's really puzzling that Watanabe chose the path he did, especially since with minor alterations the events of episode 7 could have made a very satisfying ending.

Narag

The Sacred Blacksmith 2

I'm a sucker for anime in a fantasy setting. I actually like Cecily some but she needs to lose that armor and stop being an idiot. Maybe Luke could be less of a dick and this would be something fun.

Loli elf assistant/mediator? She can stay the same.

I'm back. What'd I miss?

Welcome back! The big takeaways from this past season are that Kenji Nakamura still has it, and Ayumu is the superior Watanabe.

Gintama 1

*cough cough*

Well, at least it was better than an average episode of Nyarko-san.

I'll throw in the standard disclaimer here that Gintama does grow more confident in its handling of its material after the initial character introduction phase, so even if you're not feeling it initially I'd recommend sticking with it for at least a couple more episodes, or watching episodes 25 or 79 to see how the humor develops later on.

What?

What?

Whaaaaaaat?

I don't know what's more disturbing, really. The fact that it got retconned out suggests there was never a legitimate reason for the rape to be in the story, which suggests that the rape was just their for the viewers benefit. That's rather disgusting.
I don't think that was his intent, no. I mean, in the manga version there is nudity through that sequence, so I'm sure some people will like that stuff, but I don't think it was really intended that way... it's more about the horror of what she's going through. I will admit that given that it is manga it could be meant both ways, but given the imagery there, and that she spends the next two chapters after that struggling with the aftermath of the attack, suggests that they were trying to keep the focus on the assault, not titillation. Does that mean it's not disgusting at all? No, as was said, it's that bad old "female character gets raped and it leads to character development" plot point. And that's true, and a definite problem. Even so though, there's certainly a lot worse out there, particularly in terms of reactions and aftermath.

Anyway though, I don't know if there was actual sex that was retconned out -- no one's shown proof that things were different in the LN versus the manga. That would be interesting to know.

Also, as cruel as that part is, as far as sexism is concerned, I was at least as, or quite possibly more, offended by the events of two chapters after the attack, as I describe at the end of the post I link below. At least sexual assaults do happen in reality, unfortunately, even though that trope is a sexist one; in comparison, the usual sexism that later chapter defends is inexcusable. I mean, it's obviously far less violent, but that kind of gender-bias sexism is something more common than rape, and if you can deal with that in a society, I think you'd result in reducing the other one too...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39353259&postcount=348

The author was going for "rape = female character development", fan backlash from it was so great that then the author was all "lol she never got raped, your waifu is still pure".
Yeah, this is right. The author's thinking was that old "rape as character development" theme. At least it wasn't the hentai one where the girl starts liking it halfway through, she certainly doesn't. But seriously, when THAT is praise, you know something is wrong with a genre...

Though when it comes to The Sacred Blacksmith, we knew from the beginning that the author wasn't aware of that.
Most certainly true. Do remember that the anime's actually more sexist than the manga and thus perhaps also the source material I would guess, but the manga's fairly sexist as well for sure. And yeah, there's no way he realized that there was another way of having a female character get character development.

But anyway, Yes, Sacred Blacksmith's basic plot concept of "Cecily wants to be a strong and powerful knight but because she's a girl and weak she always needs to be protected by Luke" is really sexist and offensive. And there's certainly no getting around it, it is the plot. And the writing doesn't get any better from there.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yuru Yuri 3-4The jokes are pretty hit or miss but to the show's credit when it hits it hits hard. The end to episode 3 was pretty awesome in that regard. Kyoko seems to be the main purveyor of all the good jokes, whether its her and Yui or her and Ayano. Yui plays the stock dependable girl well enough. Chinatsu is just sort of there so far.

Not for long. Trust me.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Brand new Hayate no Gotoku TV anime by Manglobe this Fall. No other details this week, but the series is confirmed at least.
Is that a third studio on the franchise now? I wonder if they'll do yet another reboot.

Time Jam 1-12
Wow, I have no words. Nothing could have prepared me for this. From what I could only describe as one of the most charming, seemingly competent English dub on an anime I've seen to a plot that becomes more and more bonkers to a very fun main cast. A very pleasant bizarre surprise.
This show is pretty amazing for what it is. The dub is like... atrocious at times, but I feel like it's better at being a space adventure show than Moretsu Pirates, and surprisingly, the main couple's on and off again romance actually has some chemistry behind it.

Natsuiro Kiseki 12 (FINAL)
I’m pleased that the last episode was one of the better ones. Sunrise did
Endless Eight
better than KyoAni. Fascinating.
I think the girls’ acceptance that summer was at an end was competently written.

As for Natsuiro Kiseki, I went in expecting moe. Now that I’ve watched it to completion, I actually don’t find these characters moe at all (in the sense that I'm instead, able to take these characters seriously). The writing in this show is suitable, probably more than it deserves to be when it comes to anime about four teenage girls. I rarely empathize with shows that try to capitalize on the nostalgia of summer but Natsuiro Kiseki got some feels out of me. It’s a show about experiencing the crazy happenings of a season with friends. Unlike Ano Natsu’s
love triangles and amateur filmmaking
, I was able to relate to Natsuiro Kiseki to an extent. The highlight episodes of the show included
the bodysticking, the bodyswap, the time travel and this final episode.

The biggest blunder of Natsuiro Kesiki is the animation. The quality of it was relatively solid initially, got awful in the middle and then it began begging to get back in the ring as the show concluded and tried its best to regain its former glory.

A so-so series marred by inconsistent animation that I thought I would regret watching by the end of it but actually left me mildly surprised in some episodes given the tame premise. It’s nothing truly extraordinary and you wouldn’t find me recommending it to anyone but Natsuiro Kiseki was a nice little show to watch while it was airing.

I don't think it had the same aims as Endless Eight, since this episode was supposed to basically be about coming to under :firehawk and the characters moving on with their lives. Endless Eight could have been like that, but I still think that Nagato is the main character of the franchise, so from that perspective, it's meant to achieve a different result.

It's so weird, because if this show was just better plotted, it could have been if good, at least an above average "one of those shows". The premise of the last summer together is a good one, and showing the friends spend their summer together before the group splits is fine as well, but it just didn't all come together. It doesn't help that the show seems to meander between the :firehawk and the wacky hijinks that the rock creates. I just can't help but wonder what the show could have been if SatoJun was directing it anyway.

At the very least, I'm glad that they didn't even try to explain the mythology of the rock. It just works, it taught them a :firehawk life lesson, and then they moved on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom