• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT| Goddesses, canines, and killer MMOs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not like that!

bGbCM.gif

Nyoro~n Churuya-san 01-02ish
Yeah, not going to sit myself through 11 more episodes of this. Same boring joke, looks worse than Haruhi-chan, lacks the same energy as Haruhi-chan.

Narag

This show is pretty amazing for what it is. The dub is like... atrocious at times, but I feel like it's better at being a space adventure show than Moretsu Pirates, and surprisingly, the main couple's on and off again romance actually has some chemistry behind it.

I'm really eager to dig into this soon.

Solune

Because he isn't a good director.

Fairy Tail movie is worth being hyped up if you're a staff whore.
But you're not a staff whore so why are you hyped?
Harems are the theme of Summer!

Perhaps Studio's are just playing it conservative.
I wonder how many beach episodes we'll get this Summer.
While the show was disappointing itself, "Duty Friend" really was the best ED from the season.
I think Apollon or Sankarea had the best ED, audio wise.
Looks terrible, was expecting .hack and came away disappointed.
There is no such thing.
Indeed.
It's a great way to start again on GAF since no one remembers names.

Everyone knows it's about numbers anyways.

Makoto

I don't think it had the same aims as Endless Eight, since this episode was supposed to basically be about coming to under :firehawk and the characters moving on with their lives. Endless Eight could have been like that, but I still think that Nagato is the main character of the franchise, so from that perspective, it's meant to achieve a different result.

It's so weird, because if this show was just better plotted, it could have been if good, at least an above average "one of those shows". The premise of the last summer together is a good one, and showing the friends spend their summer together before the group splits is fine as well, but it just didn't all come together. It doesn't help that the show seems to meander between the :firehawk and the wacky hijinks that the rock creates. I just can't help but wonder what the show could have been if SatoJun was directing it anyway.

At the very least, I'm glad that they didn't even try to explain the mythology of the rock. It just works, it taught them a :firehawk life lesson, and then they moved on.
Oh no, I agree. I just meant I was glad that Sunrise
didn't need eight episodes to the tell the tale of a looping summer vacation. Edit: I would have preferred KyoAni had used 3-4 episodes on Endless Eight is basically what I'm saying.

1stStrike

Banned
I... I just... wow.

It kinda grosses me out watching him suck the spit off her finger multiple times in this episode. I can just imagine it escalating to her hocking up a loogie in his mouth or something.

*shudder*

survivor

Banned
I... I just... wow.

It kinda grosses me out watching him suck the spit off her finger multiple times in this episode. I can just imagine it escalating to her hocking up a loogie in his mouth or something.

*shudder*

Yeah the drool thing really grossed me out but after a couple of episodes, I got used to it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm really eager to dig into this soon.
I wish it was easier for me to watch it!
When I found out that this was based on a comic book though, the tone and style of the stories made so much sense. The comics are apparently from the 60s onward, and it has that "golden age" science fiction tone. There's no grimdark bullshit (at least, not in the episodes I've seen) and it's back to the basics of wacky SF happenings which, if you are a fan of the genre, you'll totally recognize when you see them.

Oh no, I agree. I just meant I was glad that Sunrise
didn't need eight episodes to the tell the tale of a looping summer vacation.
Well, I mean, they're trying to do different things. The end result of the Natsuiro Kiseki finale is the characters learning to let go. The end result of Endless Eight is the release of frustration. The actual format of the episodes are meant to create those feelings in the audience - which is why, as lazy as a montage can be at times, that's all that was needed in the Natsuiro Kiseki episode.

Makoto

Best ED:

1. Lupin the Third: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna
2. Accel World
3. Ginga e Kickoff!!
4. Medaka Box
5. tsuritama

I'll rank them once I finish watching them all.
What? Where's Rick's Bread? I know you watched that... Haven't you? HAVEN'T YOU?

I... I just... wow.

*shudder*

If you get used to the drool stuff, you can see a well-made high school anime, though, the hype is maybe bigger than the real quality of the show.

duckroll

So hosannainexcelsis, when are you going to check out this amazing piece of work which moonspeak finally got around to experiencing? :D

Kara No Kyoukai 05: Paradox Spiral

iOUc2KDaaVp0I.jpg
i2g2uTHTmpaEZ.jpg

iZrZLUcVuhgBl.jpg
iQ6d6rLOjquzE.jpg

I don't have much to say about the fourth film other than the fact that 2 and 4 could easily be condensed into a single film since there's really only a few plot points required, imo. I liked 4 a little more than 2 in terms of setting up Shiki's story. It's also slightly shorter so that sort of helps in a way. So basically duckroll was right. 1,3, and 5 honestly do make for a good trilogy on their own.

Anyways onto KnK 5:

Wow.

It's been a while since an anime has blown my mind like that.

This film feels like it's on such a different level than the previous four in terms of structure, length, presentation, and direction. The non-linear narrative was an interesting and unexpected choice for the fifth film. At first it's a bit jarring and slightly overwhelming with how much is presented in the beginning. The use of repeated scenes, seemingly random shots that provide clues to an upcoming scene, and out of sequence shots to try to mess with your head. People may have a problem with the story direction and the use of repeated scenes, but I honestly loved their usage here.

What's crazy about all that is how well it's all implemented. It's a lot to take in at first but the film doesn't leave the viewer completely lost by the end. It's still one of those movies where you gotta pay attention to and follow the details it hands you.

With all that said, it's still an impressive looking film just like the rest of the previous ones in the series. The action scenes were really well animated and awesomely choreographed. While the fights in 1 and 3 weren't the best that ufotable has to offer, the fifth film more than makes up for that with some great fight scenes though the last one had some rather dizzying camera work. I liked that Touko had some time to shine in this film as well. We see not only her true abilities in full force but also an insight to her past life and her relationship with the pair of antagonists. The antagonists were also a bit of a departure from the previous ones as they were more fitting of the "villain" archetype than the more sympathetic antagonists of films 1 and 3.

If I had to have a complaint about the film, it's probably Kokuto. Not even because his character is annoying in general (though he's not as bad here), it's just his scenes kinda drag on towards the middle of the film. Though with such a strong start, one could probably take the middle of the film as a bit of a breather before the story picks up its pace again towards the end. The story doesn't really center on Shiki as much in this film as it focuses instead on the new character Shirou's Tomoe's story and Touko's relationship with the antagonists. She's still very much an important character but it's interesting to see her take a backseat to the rest of the cast of characters for a good portion of the film.

Ones full enjoyment may also have to do with much Nasu-shit they can tolerate here. There's some jargon regarding “origins” and such that the expanded Type-Moon universe also dwells in. Thankfully on its own merits, it's a wonderfully structured film with very good production values. The visual and audio quality is just as good as the previous films though I didn't find the music in this one to be as memorable. I can't recommend this film enough especially to those who enjoyed Fate/Zero let alone those interested in the Type-Moon universe. Great film except now I've come to a bit of a predicament-

I have absolutely no desire to watch the rest of the films now!

It's a bit obvious that the last few films won't live up to this one but eventually I'll get to them. Also, not gonna lie. Shiki is moe as fuck in that last scene.

1stStrike

Banned
I must admit that I never felt grossed out by MGX. Perhaps I'm too far gone. But then again, Nisemonogatari made me want to vomit, so I suppose I'm still safe.

I was starting to get used to it by the end of the episode, but then she had the moment where like a gallon of drool just burst out of her and I was like...

Wtf.gif

Narag

I wish it was easier for me to watch it!
When I found out that this was based on a comic book though, the tone and style of the stories made so much sense. The comics are apparently from the 60s onward, and it has that "golden age" science fiction tone. There's no grimdark bullshit (at least, not in the episodes I've seen) and it's back to the basics of wacky SF happenings which, if you are a fan of the genre, you'll totally recognize when you see them.

Yeah, when I looked it up initially I was excited to see that it was indeed a comic adaptation. I should really see how much of it is in english as it seems right up my alley.

Makoto

Well, I mean, they're trying to do different things. The end result of the Natsuiro Kiseki finale is the characters learning to let go. The end result of Endless Eight is the release of frustration. The actual format of the episodes are meant to create those feelings in the audience - which is why, as lazy as a montage can be at times, that's all that was needed in the Natsuiro Kiseki episode.
Natsuiro Kiseki was really trying to do multiple things. Letting go was the general overarching theme of the episode but we also had Yuka's release of her own frustration
(as she wouldn't be satisfied until she nailed that audition perfectly)
. To supplement the theme of letting go, there was also their desire to forgo regret and do everything they wanted to do before summer vacation ended. Since we're dealing with teenage girls in the summer, the writers could have gone far greater lengths with a looping summer vacation over the course of multiple episodes that would have made much more sense than 8 episodes of Haruhi. Yes, they were trying to do different things but what I'm saying is KyoAni wasn't using their time wisely. KyoAni didn't need 8 episodes to get to the simple endgame of releasing frustration, however I'm sure Kiseki could have benefited from more than 22 minutes of a
few time loops

Neither am I. Unacceptable.

So hosannainexcelsis, when are you going to check out this amazing piece of work which moonspeak finally got around to experiencing? :D

Look, I have a lot on my agenda. Maybe after I get through some more One Piece for cosmic.

I was starting to get used to it by the end of the episode, but then she had her episode where like a gallon of drool just burst out of her and I was like...

That was pretty amazing. Slight spoilers:
She doesn't do it again. I'm kind of disappointed by that.

survivor

Banned
I must admit that I never felt grossed out by MGX. Perhaps I'm too far gone. But then again, Nisemonogatari made me want to vomit, so I suppose I'm still safe.

My other problem was that I was always eating lunch while watching MGX so it made the situation worse.

Mind spoiling me on what from Nise made you want to vomit? Just curious on what I'm missing out.

My other problem was that I was always eating lunch while watching MGX so it made the situation worse.

Mind spoiling me on what from Nise made you want to vomit? Just curious on what I'm missing out.

The whole bathroom scene in episode 4
with Araragi sexily soaping up a fresh pre-pubescent nude vampire girl
... bleck.

Sengoku Collection 13
Being Assassin is suffering.
So dull. Not even the story was that good. It was like boom, story resolved, everyone's happy! Though I guess, they had to have more yuri running around to keep some people interested.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, when I looked it up initially I was excited to see that it was indeed a comic adaptation. I should really see how much of it is in english as it seems right up my alley.
You know, I hope that Laureline is still a strong character in the original book... if only because, well, the dude is basically French Captain Kirk. lol

Natsuiro Kiseki was really trying to do multiple things. Letting go was the general overarching theme of the episode but we also had Yuka's release of her own frustration
(as she wouldn't be satisfied until she nailed that audition perfectly)
. To supplement the theme of letting go, there was also their desire to forgo regret and do everything they wanted to do before summer vacation ended. Since we're dealing with teenage girls in the summer, the writers could have gone far greater lengths with a looping summer vacation over the course of multiple episodes that would have made much more sense than 8 episodes of Haruhi. Yes, they were trying to do different things but what I'm saying is KyoAni wasn't using their time wisely. KyoAni didn't need 8 episodes to get to the simple endgame of releasing frustration, however I'm sure Kiseki could have benefited from more than 22 minutes of a
few time loops

I mean, the problem we have here is that I liked Endless Eight and what it achieved, so that's probably a point that we can't really debate. lol

But I mean, the fact is, Yuka
and her audition wasn't the point of the loops at all. It was basically that they didn't want to let go of their friendship... of course, that's precisely what they need to do in order to achieve full :firehawk and end the show
. The point was the lesson that they learned, not the actual process.

Reknoc

Not hating but I was surprised to see this:

18omk.jpg

Came from this:

Q54qT.jpg

Honestly expected the comic would look more cartoony like Asterix or The Smurfs.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Not hating but I was surprised to see this:

http://i.imgur.com/18omk.jpg[img]

Came from this:

[img]http://i.imgur.com/Q54qT.jpg[img]

Honestly expected the comic would look more cartoony like Asterix or The Smurfs.[/quote]
I don't know jack about French comics, but given that it's a space serial, it makes sense that it looks like the Golden Age comics of its American contemporaries.

Reknoc

I don't know jack about French comics, but given that it's a space serial, it makes sense that it looks like the Golden Age comics of its American contemporaries.

I can't say I'm an expert either, and I don't know how accurate the anime is to the comic, but the anime feels much like a typical light hearted cartoon, like... Buzz Lightyear of Star Command. The only other french comic I know with that artstyle is XIII which is very much not like Buzz Lightyear.

Narag

I can't say I'm an expert either, and I don't know how accurate the anime is to the comic, but the anime feels much like a typical light hearted cartoon, like... Buzz Lightyear of Star Command. The only other french comic I know with that artstyle is XIII which is very much not like Buzz Lightyear.

From what I was reading, cartoon is its own thing but borrows heavily from the comic. Whole disappearing Earth thing wasn't part of the original. I had no idea how influential the original comic was either. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valérian_and_Laureline#In_other_media The Fifth Element stuff is neat.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
I think Apollon or Sankarea had the best ED, audio wise.

Sankarea's ED was pretty nice, but it doesn't top Mine Fujiko imo.

I... I just... wow.

*shudder*

I was kinda put off by that as well at first, but over time I got used to it.

Articalys

News: Crunchyroll to stream “Tari Tari” and “Sword Art Online”
News: Crunchyroll to stream “Kokoro Connect” and “La storia della Arcana Famiglia”
‪News: Crunchyroll to stream “Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita” and “Natsuyuki Rendezvous”
News: Crunchyroll to stream “Campione!” and “So, I Can't Play H!”
News: Crunchyroll to stream “Horizon on the Middle of Nowhere Season 2” and “Chitose Get You!!”

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...ounces-new-shows-for-summer-2012-anime-season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom