• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Considering it now. So I understand the anime takes one of the few
bad endings
...but without spoiling anything, is there a
worse
ending in the VN? Because...wow. I can't imagine there is.

In my opinion
the ending in the anime is a lot more fucked up then the ones we were given in the VN.

Congratulations!

If you're considering playing one of the VN's I'd say go with Shiny Days. Even the
moms get involved. smh

If you're looking for
'holy shit' jaw dropping shennanigans
, Cross Days is the only way to go.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I watched it cuz I thought it was just a slice of life and school romance. Even the OP was subtle. Boy... *sigh*....

suko_32

I'm a lurker, but you guys have convinced me to finish the School Days anime. Back when it was still airing I remember dropping it after the second episode because it seemed rather boring...guess I missed out on something special. I need to know why people keep talking about it!

Jarmel

Banned
I wish the internet, as it is now, was around for the ending of EVA. The reactions for the initial airing must have been absolutely astounding.

Star Driver 20 - 21

Star Driver continues to hit its stride as it charges full speed ahead to the ending and it was rather enjoyable.
Tokio Tsunashi, Head, had an interesting backstory. I kind of felt a bit sad for everyone involved around him, especially the boy he had taken a liking too who fell into a coma. It was pretty unfortunate and it seems that he, in some ways is stuck in Zero Time. Time is running out so I hope whatever hes after can bring him peace no matter how the plot goes down. The fight was highly intense thanks to Needle Star intereferring with Camel Star's assault. Madoka becoming a Cybody was epic as well, though, I almost thought she was gonna die. Wako was impressive even if Sugata is still not capable of doing anything in third phase :(!

Yeah, I'm kind of considering trying the game now just to see how that scene goes down.
If you want to know...

Makoto and Hikari stumble upon Taisuke fucking Kotonoha in a room at school. Kotonoha is saying no and it's clear that she's being forced. You then get the option to stay and watch and then finger Hikari while watching.

Jarmel

Banned
If you want to know...

Makoto and Hikari stumble upon Taisuke fucking Kotonoha in a room at school. Kotonoha is saying no and it's clear that she's being forced. You then get the option to stay and watch and then finger Hikari while watching.

Is the game translated?

cajunator

Banned
If you want to know...

All while animated at a glorious 2 frames per minute!

If you want to know...

Oh, that's not as bad as I thought. I figured
Makoto told Taisuke to rape her and then he and Hikari just started masturbating while laughing maniacally.

Thoraxes

If you want to know...

And then you see a
puddle of "liquid" on the floor where Makoto and did what he "did" with Hikari outside of the room before the scene ends.

Jintor

Let's talk about From Up On Poppy Hill and how amazing and peaceful and not-crazy-ass-bullshit that is instead. Because it's all those things. And not School Days.

wonzo

Banned
l01Lk.jpg

For my sanity, i shall pretend you are reading the novel.
Sonichu... is a part of the Nasuverse!?

oh my god

Let's talk about From Up On Poppy Hill and how amazing and peaceful and not-crazy-ass-bullshit that is instead. Because it's all those things. And not School Days.
and that's why it's nowhere near as good nor memorable

cajunator

Banned
Is From Up on Poppy hill at least more interesting than Tales of Earthsea? Because holy shit Earthsea made me want to watch paint dry instead.

Nafe

As for The Terminator discussion earlier, it's been so long since I've seen the films but one thing I've wondered is why doesn't Skynet just
send back a nuclear bomb? If it knows which city, then instead of running around trying to find the correct Sarah or John Conner, why not just blow up the whole city and just get it over with quickly?
I suppose you could use the arguement that you wouldn't even have a film in the first place then.

Super Space Brothers 19

Man, that second half of the episode really struck a chord; I'm sure everyone knows what it feels like to finally find a group of peers that share a otherwise unloved hobby/passion of yours. Excellent stuff.

This is what happened when I found AnimeGaf or even just NeoGaf in general. When I'm not on the internet I often feel like Mayaka from Hyouka in that many people, despite maybe sharing a similar hobby to me such as video games or anime, aren't even aware of many of the titles I talk about or reference.

I can understand that. I try to talk about Tetris The Grand Master and I always have to give a long explanation just so people can parse what I want to say but they still don't really understand why it's a big deal. I suppose meeting somebody who is otherwise would make me go "OMG I'M UNDERSTOOD" too.

I think the last Tetris game I got into was Tetrisphere on the Nintendo 64 years ago. Admittedly though I haven't even tried many others yet. Any recommendations?

I suppose it's true of many people but I'm really hit and miss with puzzle games. Some I can really like whereas others I have no interest in at all. Then there's some like Angry Birds which I found fun to start with and could see maybe why people liked it so much but then I got bored of it after only a few days.

I may end up regretting fixing that avatar. It's like weaponizing something to be used against me. lol

Well I won't tell anyone if you use the "H word". ;)

..... I don't get the joke.
If you ever watch Hyouka, you'll get it.

What Branduil said. It's kind of getting in spoiler territory so I'll just say that it's a play on words with Irisu's character and what you said before that Branduil was quoting.

Thanks for the heads up homegirl/boy, but I'm really too tired too find that right now. Even I won't really respond to everything written on here about those dudes, if I'm too tired/busy/drunk to post or if I have nothing interesting to respond to someone's thoughts with. Which is 100% of the time really, since I'm just regurgitating things I've said before a million times.

It was actually page 124 not 114, sorry. I can understand not replying to everything. I've made it publicly known some of the shows I really enjoy but I don't respond to every impression or comment either.

/XX/ and I were talking about this earlier where maybe you don't really have anything you can add or someone's already answered someone's question or just a general opinion has already gotten across from earlier replies. There could be a lot of discussion going on at the moment too but you haven't watched ,or are watching, the show so you maybe can't really join in even if you wanted to.

Other than being busy it was a combination of these things for why I haven't responded in the thread for awhile.Plus...

what the hell am i reading

I also found myself thinking this quite often as I was reading the thread catching up.

Hyouka Episode 16

iJRXMPN3QfGQA.jpg

argh why isn't it next week already

Dead Eyes Chitanda! <3
Sorry, I've always had a thing for dead eyes "moe". It's probably my favorite of all "moe".

Saint Seiya Omega 18
tumblr_m8b3gfcAF01r1n5pqo1_500.gif

One of the top tier episodes of Omega so far. Was really disappointed in Sonia though. She actually is the second leading female character on the anime, before this episode but now, well definitely on Yunas level. (The Athena with them is the best female character)

Agreement on the first I bolded. I love that gif.
You're not just hating on Sonia because she
lost
are you?
As for the second bolded how can
Aria
be the best female? You say Yuna is awful because she's not contributing but
Aria
hasn't really been doing anything either.

I do hate the industry as a whole in it's current state :/

Autogames for babbys that pander to the player's vanity. Bad.

Same, I'm finding myself playing much less. I miss when video games were video games.

wonzo

Banned
Hellsing Ultimate: The Dawn I-II

Hey, it's the anime adaptation of that prequel series Hirano will never finish! I sure do hope you like your dismembered limbs really poorly motion tweened as you're gonna see alotta that in the second part!! I don't think there's gonna be a third one due to the lack of a to be continued but the hilariously cheesy "Seig Heil!" at the end with the bad CG doors slamming shut was a pretty fitting way to end it if so.

hellsingdawn2a.jpg

Is From Up on Poppy hill at least more interesting than Tales of Earthsea? Because holy shit Earthsea made me want to watch paint dry instead.
Yes, it's actually a surprisingly competent movie directed by Goro. Hard to believe, I know!

cajunator

Banned
Hellsing Ultimate: The Dawn I-II

Hey, it's the anime adaptation of that prequel series Hirano will never finish! I sure do hope you like your dismembered limbs really poorly motion tweened as you're gonna see alotta that in the second part!! I don't think there's gonna be a third one due to the lack of a to be continued but the hilariously cheesy "Seig Heil!" at the end with the bad CG doors slamming shut was a pretty fitting way to end it if so.

hellsingdawn2a.jpg

Yes, it's actually a surprisingly competent movie directed by Goro. Hard to believe, I know!

Thanks. I'll give it a watch. He deserves more than one chance. Every director has made a shitty movie or two.

wonzo

Banned
Says you. My favourite Ghibli film is Whispers of the Heart.
And Whisper of the Heart's my second favourite (first being Porco Rosso and I still need to see the highly praised Only Yesterday) but I don't see how that makes From Up On Poppy Hill any less forgettable, a decent Ghibli work but nothing more.

If you're memorable for shock value you're in a shitty low-tier grade of memory. Chestbursters only work once!
For as long as there are people that have yet to experience School Days, then School Days itself will never be forgotten.

Aw shucks. I missed it!

School Days
The most disturbing stuff in the VN involves Taisuke, especially a scene where Makoto and Hikari masturbate while watching Taisuke rape Kotonoha.
I find the (alleged) VN scene where
Makoto rapes Katsura's little sister
to be more impressively fucked up, personally. In the anime, Makoto comes off as just an incredibly dense and weak teenage boy, but in the VN
he's a straight up monster.

Like an internet version of the reactions to the initial airing of Patrick McGoohan's finale for The Prisoner I'd imagine. Crazy-yet-brilliant tv endings and resultant pissed off fans have been around for a long time.

I'M GOING TO SEND MR. ANNO AN ANRY E-MAIL!!1!!!!1

Eta: oh, the internet as it is now. Mob him with strongly worded tweets?
I watched The Prisoner weekly as a kid with my dad, completely unspoiled. That ending still makes my brain itch just thinking about it.

jman2050

School Days - 12

Okay, I really don't know what to expect from this now. Already the MC is
worst dad EVER
in the first few minutes. And...oh no. He's been
busted again!
And now
OH SHIT IT'S CONFRONTATION TIME
. And now
Setsuna is busted
, but hey, at least she's in
France!
And OH MY GOD NO
THEY'RE HOOKING UP IN FRONT OF PREGNANT SEKAI AHHHH WHAT THE FUCK
and euuuhhh it's extra raunchy too. God, this is hard to watch. Oh, and Sekai tried to
set Setsuna up with him before any of this
, wow. And oh my lord now he wants her to
get an abortion. And she's possibly going to?!
Now suddenly the scene is calm with the MC and Kotonoha...too calm. Oh, here's the extra-tense meeting with Sekai and
OH FUCK OH FUCK WHY DOES SHE HAVE A KNIFE
oh there's Kotonoha with her sis again OH SHIT
PIMP DOWN PIMP DOOOOOOOOOWN
uh oh there's Kotonoha, she can't be happy to see that. Oh boy, that definitely isn't the MC...and sure enough, here's a
no doubt unhappy Kotonoha
and oh god don't look in the bag OH GOD WHAT CONFIRM WHAT AND SHE WASN'T EITHER WHY IS THERE A BOAT WAIT
SHE'S CRADLING HIS HEAD AHHHHHHHHHHHH
Oh...oh my. What...how...oh.

That...all escalated very quickly in the last few episodes. I need a glass of water.

This never gets old.

Nafe

Rinne no Lagrange - 05

My heart. My heeeeeeart!

I know he said those things for her own good, but her sad face just killed me.

I know! That expression of her's really got to me. The way she looks like she's still smiling like he's only joking and her squished up cheeks but the way that she's tearing up in pain and confusion. Combined with Ai Kayano's "Oni-chan...?" where her voice sort of cracks in sadness and has that questioning confused tone just emphasized things. :( :( :(

I knew it was what you mentioned in the spoilered but I still felt really bad for her. :(

Just quoting myself because I found the two pairs of results.

NeoGAF AotY 2011:

Code:
1 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica 495
2 Usagi Drop 475
3 Mawaru Penguindrum 452
4 Steins;Gate 394
5 Fate/Zero S1 260
6 Hourou Musuko 253
7 Redline 216
8 Hanasaku Iroha 195
9 Working'!! 154
10 Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Boku-tachi wa Mada Shiranai. 141

AnimeGAF AotY 2011:

Code:
1 Mawaru Penguindrum 243
2 Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica 242
3 Usagi Drop 222
4 Steins;Gate 185
5 Hourou Musuko 163
6 Fate/Zero S1 146
7 Hanasaku Iroha 123
8 The Idolm@ster 92
9 Working'!! 87
10 Redline 85

And special mention of #11 Chihayafuru at 81 votes due to some Idolm@ster ten-point votes of dubious sincerity.

Amazingly 9/10 are still in the top ten even though only ~50% of the voters were AnimeGAF participants. In general, the only thing that changed were the individual series rankings within the top ten.

I read this before back when you posted it but it's pretty interesting to see these comparisons. Thanks for going to the trouble of doing this.
Personally I like AnimeGaf's list better as I found The Idolm@ster to be a much more enjoyable watch than AnoHana.

You just have a fetish for girls who never reveal the top half of their face.

I'm kind of imaging Tomoe to look like the girl on the cover of the manga "A corpse by evening".

Is Irisu in the new Hyouka episode?

This has already been answered but I just had to emphasize what a tragedy it was that we weren't graced by the presence of The Empress this episode. :(

We at least get graced with anothers presence and she's even wearing a new outfit. See firehawk's avatar for details.

We are not a single entity. We are made up of many individual voices and opinions.

I'm not sure where people are getting this idea. It's true there are times when AnimeGaf does seem to show some unanimity but often there is a clear divided which fuels many of the discussions in the thread.

Speaking of dead eyes. These still popup in my nightmares occasionally.

I don't know why but I kind of like it...

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
I know! That expression of her's really got to me. The way she looks like she's still smiling like he's only joking and her squished up cheeks but the way that she's tearing up in pain and confusion. Combined with Ai Kayano's "Oni-chan...?" where her voice sort of cracks in sadness and has that questioning confused tone just emphasized things. :( :( :(

Man you hit the nail on the head. Scene ate at me. :(

Taruranto

I wish the internet, as it is now, was around for the ending of EVA. The reactions for the initial airing must have been absolutely astounding.

I wish Anno had Rei pregnant and married to some random dude like Ikuhara suggested him.

I can even retroactively taste the tears from the alternate space-continuum where this has happened, so delicious...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom