• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Utakoi 6
what the fuck is all this doin in mai historical romance poem anime

holy shit, this episode was literally insane
I really like how UtaKoi doesn't give a single fuck now. The first episode was still somewhat grounded, but as they go on and on, more and more anachronisms have crept in. Best way to do historical fiction. :p

School Days is a dark examination of the harem genre taken to it's logical conclusion. It's a thought provoking piece of fiction. I'm being completely serious.

Seriously, that's Cross Days. There's no contest. It's
M. Butterfly
but taken to the next level. lol

madp

The Light of El Cantare
These words are synonymous.

You've never watched something and thought to yourself "I can tell that this is all really well-done but I'm just not enjoying it"?

Fresh Precure 11-15

Wig episode was friggin' amazing. Great everything. Following episode? God no.

FH4j6h.jpg

Jarmel

Banned
You've never watched something and thought to yourself "I can tell that this is all really well-done but I'm just not enjoying it"?

Is this code for Boardwalk Empire? Then there are polar opposites which are trainwrecks in every way imaginable but are highly entertaining. I wouldn't deem the trainwrecks as being 'quality' even if I'm laughing at the production.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Have you even seen the show?
Yes. It's enjoyable but it's honestly pretty depressing to think that anyone would consider the writing to be one of the show's strong suits. It's riddled with logical fallacies and cut corners in a feeble attempt to pack the story within the boundaries of the established world.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Yes. It's enjoyable but it's honestly pretty depressing to think that anyone would consider the writing to be one of the show's strong suits. It's riddled with logical fallacies and cut corners in a feeble attempt to pack the story within the boundaries of the established world.

The logical fallacies exist because the character themselves are faulty. Also, Fate/Zero has excellent writing. Just because Urobochi has to deal with Type-Moon stuff doesn't make it automatically bad.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The logical fallacies exist because the character themselves are faulty.
Faulty in what sense? In that none of them are believable or realistic, instead falling into rather bland archetypes because of the size of the cast? That I would agree to.

Jarmel

Banned

The deconstruction of certain characters as well as the discussion of certain philosophical questions is without a doubt one of the highlights of the show and something very few anime shows in general touch. Then we have the analysis of different time periods and the mindsets of these different time periods through the kings. The Grail Dialogue(Episode 11 IIRC) was a fantastic episode primarily for that reason. Then we have the balancing of a large ensemble cast and actually being able to flesh out the characters to a reasonable degree. The writing is, without a doubt, one of the highlights of the past few years.

Faulty in what sense? In that none of them are believable or realistic, instead falling into rather bland archetypes because of the size of the cast? That I would agree to.

Those bland archetypes are then shat on, ripped apart, and thrown in a fire. The show is a tragedy because it breaks down almost every single character on the show and what they think are their beliefs. Kariya pictured himself as the hero and when push came to shove, he showed what he really was. Half the cast thought they were better than everybody else, due to whatever reason, and the show then proceeds to drag them in the mud and make them human.

Branduil

I'm not so sure about that. While the protagonist is certainly condemned for his bad behaviour by the characters in the show I don't think the show as a whole actually cares. I think it's looking to entertain and shock it's audience in whatever manner will be most effective and that's just where they ended up at.

Which is basically what I think about Elfin Lied.

I'm still not sure if you're spelling that wrong on purpose or not.

I'm not so sure about that. While the protagonist is certainly condemned for his bad behaviour by the characters in the show I don't think the show as a whole actually cares. I think it's looking to entertain and shock it's audience in whatever manner will be most effective and that's just where they ended up at.

Which is basically what I think about Elfin Lied.
This is one of those times where I'd consider the creator's intent mostly irrelevant. Maybe they were only aiming to shock and entertain, but what they actually made was more than that.

Dresden

This is one of those times where I'd consider the creator's intent mostly irrelevant. Maybe they were only aiming to shock and entertain, but what they actually made was more than that.
dunno, School Days is only worth it for the end and the end is easily viewed via a handy youtube link, and its worth mainly lies with the shock value, which then wears off after the first viewing. There's no message being disseminated with school days, or meaning, just a bloody twist that's more important for its memetic potential than any real value of its own.
Then we have the analysis of different time periods and the mindsets of these different time periods through the kings. The Grail Dialogue(Episode 11 IIRC) was a fantastic episode primarily for that reason.

the dialogue ep showcased three personal philosophies, i wouldn't consider them to be representative of their era, nor is it a historic analysis of the time period. it's just... differing perspectives presented out in broad strokes, and their values aren't dependent on the era these genderbent royalties are from.

Jarmel

Banned
the dialogue ep showcased three personal philosophies, i wouldn't consider them to be representative of their era, nor is it a historic analysis of the time period. it's just... differing perspectives presented out in broad strokes, and their values aren't dependent on the era these genderbent royalties are from.

I disagree with that especially when you compare Saber and Rider's perspectives. Both of those I could definitely see being set in historical precedence. King Arthur's rule was mainly based around the knights but a general principle was that no person was inherently better than another(hence the Round Table). That stands in sharp contrast to say Rider and Gilgamesh where those time periods elevated individuals. It stands to reason then that Arthur would of course have issues with both kings. Also many of the stories(myths) in Arthurian era are based around the principle of self-sacrifice especially in the search for the Grail.

dunno, School Days is only worth it for the end and the end is easily viewed via a handy youtube link, and its worth mainly lies with the shock value, which then wears off after the first viewing. There's no message being disseminated with school days, or meaning, just a bloody twist that's more important for its memetic potential than any real value of its own.
Just youtubing the ending is silly. For me, the characters' downward spiral was much more interesting and memorable than the Nice Boat.

Dresden

I disagree with that especially when you compare Saber and Rider's perspectives. Both of those I could definitely see being set in historical precedence. King Arthur's rule was mainly based around the knights but a general principle was that no person was inherently better than another(hence the Round Table). That stands in sharp contrast to say Rider and Gilgamesh where those time periods elevated individuals. It stands to reason then that Arthur would of course have issues with both kings. Also many of the stories(myths) in Arthurian era are based around the principle of self-sacrifice especially in the search for the Grail.
no, they're not molded around perspectives unique to their times, or patterned after whatever times they're supposedly from--they're each representative of fairly universal themes, and their backgrounds are there more to fill out their skillsets for the game of cups. i think it'd be one thing if their views were truly representatives of their origins, but they all come off in the end as modern personas, and the setting itself supports this as they are essentially timeless beings, anyways.

the whole point of the king arthur mythos is that he (or she in this case, lolnasu) is special, that he is elevated and above the rest. the story ends with the mythification of the king as he disappears into avalon, anyways. the irony of the round table is that your worth isn't considered reciprocal to that of others due to its shape, but rather, it's measured by the distance of your seat from that of your king.

Just youtubing the ending is silly. For me, the characters' downward spiral was much more interesting and memorable than the Nice Boat.

The fun of School Days is the journey leading up to the end, not just the end itself. come on people

sorry, the journey sucks. it's like walking to grand canyon, the destination is what matters because the trip itself is going to blow.

e: except in this case it's more like walking to LA so you too can have the pleasure of being mugged. Deconstruction of tourism.

sorry, the journey sucks. it's like walking to grand canyon, the destination is what matters because the trip itself is going to blow.

e: except in this case it's more like walking to LA so you too can have the pleasure of being mugged. Deconstruction of tourism.
Walking across the country is liable to be a lot more interesting than whatever you do/find/suffer at your destination!

kayos90

no, they're not molded around perspectives unique to their times, or patterned after whatever times they're supposedly from--they're each representative of fairly universal themes, and their backgrounds are there more to fill out their skillsets for the game of cups. i think it'd be one thing if their views were truly representatives of their origins, but they all come off in the end as modern personas, and the setting itself supports this as they are essentially timeless beings, anyways.

the whole point of the king arthur mythos is that he (or she in this case, lolnasu) is special, that he is elevated and above the rest. the story ends with the mythification of the king as he disappears into avalon, anyways. the irony of the round table is that your worth isn't considered reciprocal to that of others due to its shape, but rather, it's measured by the distance of your seat from that of your king.

I love it how you guys do research for this kind of stuff. I'm just too lazy.

Dresden

Walking across the country is liable to be a lot more interesting than whatever you do/find/suffer at your destination!

I think the more fitting and voncoluted analogy would be that you're walking naked across the country as a van follows you and out the windows are two men with waterguns squirting warm syrup on your back and as night falls they light lamps so that bugs crawl all over you as you struggle to get to your destination.

I love it how you guys do research for this kind of stuff. I'm just too lazy.

sorry, no r-word here for me.

Jarmel

Banned

Not really. Yes Arthur had Excalibur and Avalon however the rest of the knights were reknown for various reasons and it wasn't Arthur who found the grail. It was Galahad due to the purity of his spirit. Then you have Lancelot who was a better swordsman than Arthur. It's the Knights of the Round Table as a whole. Saber having a self-sacrificial complex would fit into the general mythos for a lot of Arthurian myths of that time. Also Arthur isn't really known to be a conqueror like Alexander but rather the uniter and a ruler. This is a rather important difference in that Alexander and Gilgamesh both took what they wanted and for the most part weren't really interested in the managing of their empire(although you could make a valid argument that Alexander wanted to spread certain Macedonian/Greek values). Gilgamesh is the furthest from his real life origin/mythos in personality but again I would say his viewpoint ties into earlier concepts of how people viewed kings. Saber definitely fits into a more modern perception of what people expect kings to be, however that's true of a good amount of the mythos currently surrounding Arthur.

I think the more fitting and voncoluted analogy would be that you're walking naked across the country as a van follows you and out the windows are two men with waterguns squirting warm syrup on your back and as night falls they light lamps so that bugs crawl all over you as you struggle to get to your destination.
ibjHG8Z7P93Lv9.jpg

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So what summer op's do you people enjoy?
Well I've had the OP to Jinrui stuck in my head these past few days. If that counts as enjoying it I guess I have to go with that. I like the dance however.

Yuru Yuri - 06

Why hasn't anyone made a gif where Chitose is spinning her way down the aisle? :(l
Because I went to bed straight after posting that one gif. Guess this will be my next one.

I will never stop being incredibly envious of people who got to experience School Days without being spoiled beforehand.
I know nothing about this School Days show. Is it worth a gander?

Yuru Yuri was wonderful as always. It's a shame I was watching it on the terrible PS3 crunchyroll app.
Why would you do that to yourself?

first being Porco Rosso
icWRSDuMsNQxy.gif

Is one to deny a man the pleasures of dressing up in his older sister's clothes?

Why is she dressed like a 10 years old?
Helps her fit in with potential targets easier.

If you haven't watched Fate/Zero then I have no idea what you're doing with your time.
Drinking tea.

duckroll

If you have a JP IP or a VPN, you can watch the first 10 minutes of Akito the Exiled now: http://www.geass.jp/akito/index.html

- Character animation seems rather stiff, not as nice as some of the stuff in Code Geass.

- The CG action is pretty well done, except for the explosions. I love the particle effects and the shading, but the explosions trying to copy how 2D explosions look just doesn't work well.

- Music rocks.

- The 10 min clip ends in the middle of an action scene, FML.

Articalys

Literally the only change in the Temporal First Volume Spring Sales for last week is that Kuroko no Basket picked up about another 4,000 copies. No change for anything else.
For completeness' sake, though:
16,768 *2 Kuroko no Basuke [DVD+BD]: 2012/07/27
*9,455 *3 Hyouka [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/29
*9,138 *1 Accel World [DVD+BD]: 2012/07/25
*8,918 *2 Haiyore! Nyaruko-san [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/22
*7,990 *2 AKB0048 [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/27
*6,966 *2 Saki Achiga-hen Episode of Side-A [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/20
*4,887 *2 Eureka Seven AO [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/22
*4,698 *1 Natsu-iro Kiseki [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/27
*4,494 *1 Tsuritama [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/27
*3,759 *1 Queen's Blade Rebellion [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/27
*3,588 *1 Nazo no Kanojo X [DVD+BD]: 2012/07/04
*3,499 *1 Jormungand [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/27
*3,302 *2 Sengoku Collection [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/06
*3,192 *2 Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka? Of The Dead [DVD+BD]: 2012/05/25
*2,520 *2 Acchi Kocchi [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/06
*2,180 *1 Hiiro no Kakera [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/22
*2,059 *1 Tasogare Otome x Amnesia [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/27
*2,037 *1 Sakamichi no Apollon [DVD+BD]: 2012/07/27
*1,487 *1 Sankarea [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/29
*1,133 *1 Shirokuma Cafe [DVD]: 2012/07/27
**,882 *1 Kimi to Boku. 2 [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/27
**,612 *1 Zetman [DVD+BD]: 2012/06/22
**,*** *0 Medaka Box [DVD+BD]: 2012/07/25
**,*** *0 Shining Hearts ~Shiawase no Pan~ [DVD+BD]: 2012/07/27

If you have a JP IP or a VPN, you can watch the first 10 minutes of Akito the Exiled now: http://www.geass.jp/akito/index.html

- Character animation seems rather stiff, not as nice as some of the stuff in Code Geass.

- The CG action is pretty well done, except for the explosions. I love the particle effects and the shading, but the explosions trying to copy how 2D explosions look just doesn't work well.

- Music rocks.

Code Geass had some nice character animation?
That's what you get for watching a preview clip. :p

duckroll

Code Geass had some nice character animation?

The first few episodes of Code Geass has really nice character animation and solid key frame art, especially the major scenes with the lead characters. Lots of great poses and movement which defined the characters early on. It's not consistent, but it made a solid first impression and introduced the characters well. Didn't look boring and plain.

kayos90

The first few episodes of Code Geass has really nice character animation and solid key frame art, especially the major scenes with the lead characters. Lots of great poses and movement which defined the characters early on. It's not consistent, but it made a solid first impression and introduced the characters well. Didn't look boring and plain.

Not enough Spinzaku.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom