• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
If you haven't watched Fate/Zero then I have no idea what you're doing with your time.
It's called waiting for the Blurays to marathon it.

A decent Ghibli work is like a merely decent KyoAni work, it still eclipses almost everything else.
Hey, it's pretty mean to compare a pretty good movie like Poppy Hill to associate it with an overall above-average series like Nichijou :(

I do agree though that I found a lot more joy in Poppy Hill just due to its setting and the sheer amount of personality in the surroundings and the characters, rather than its almost incidental plot and storyline, but I don't see that any of that detracts from what it is.
While I did enjoy the setting and the very charming scenery and cast of characters, IU found the direction the story took with
the faux incest drama stuff
to be completely unnecessary and detrimental to the movie as a whole.

Saying that, School Days was both a far more thought provoking and in hindsight, enjoyable (the reaction posts!) work thus I consider it to be the superior of the two!

I'm not even sure what exactly is wrong with the premise. It can be done in a classy way with the right director.
yeah, it'd basically be the complete opposite of RKB

Jex

I'd agree that it's a better list, but I probably don't have the right to comment on that. I voted for Ben-To, Tiger & Bunny and Denpa Onna in my 2012 top ten at the expense of some of these other shows, after all ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I suspect my AotY 2012 top ten will be much more in line with the rest of AnimeGAF's.
You were such a rebel last year, voting for entertainment over quality. Truly outrageous.

Gintama 32

AzcfA.jpg

Justaway needs all the love you can give it, just look at their faces.

Not a bad conclusion. Wasn't as lively but I get the tree thing.

Instro

Space Bros 19

That was kind of touching, this show always does such a nice job expanding on its characters and background stories. Also, I wonder if Aunt Sharon and that other lady are lesbians. I mean, why else would they be living together?

Rinne 17

Things have picked up after the slow start to the 2nd season, next week looks like it will be a good one. Although, it seems like a lot of people have not continued watching the show, which is too bad I guess cause its still a pretty looking show and generally fun to watch. A lot more shipping with the main characters this season too.

Saint Seiya Omega 15

I havent been really keeping up with this one too much at this point, I know most people dropped it a while back, but I find it enjoyable for the most part and there tends to be some interesting and cool episodes, particularly in more recent weeks I think. Probably one of the more disappointing shows this year I imagine, although obviously Lupin takes the cake in that regard.

Jintor

While I did enjoy the setting and the very charming scenery and cast of characters, IU found the direction the story took with
the faux incest drama stuff
to be completely unnecessary and detrimental to the movie as a whole.

Saying that, School Days was both a far more thought provoking and in hindsight, enjoyable (the reaction posts!) work thus I consider it to be the superior of the two!

I agree with that plot stuff, but if you're serious about the School Days thing I will have to duel you. School Days is not particularly thought provoking, unless the thoughts you are provoking is "What the fuck"

Jex

I agree with that plot stuff, but if you're serious about the School Days thing I will have to duel you. School Days is not particularly thought provoking, unless the thoughts you are provoking is "What the fuck"

School Days is a dark examination of the harem genre taken to it's logical conclusion. It's a thought provoking piece of fiction. I'm being completely serious.

Jex

Is it the Evangelion of harem anime?

Sure, why not. That statement doesn't really mean anything anyway!

It's certainly the most interesting take on the harem genre that can be found in anime today, unless someone goes and makes something even more self-aware.

Branduil

This is what anime does to people.

No, this is what anime does to people:

Goofy is the only classic Disney character who has had sex.
Mickey has nephews, Donald has nephews, Goofy has a son.
And he wasn’t adopted, he looks just like him.
Goofy……has had sex.
Goofy…..has known a woman biblically….
Imagine what it must’ve looked like.
Imagine what it sounded like.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
You were such a rebel last year, voting for entertainment over quality. Truly outrageous.

I don't even know if I can separate the concepts now. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Actually, considering a couple of the series that I already consider a lock for my 2012 top ten, I almost certainly can still separate the concepts.

Jex

What? Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with these authors?
I think you already know. They're providing the entertainment that otaku crave. It's not like School Days is a particularly moral, pleasant or feminist tale. One should not be surprised to find that it contains sickening and depraves scenes.

Jintor

School Days is a dark examination of the harem genre taken to it's logical conclusion. It's a thought provoking piece of fiction. I'm being completely serious.

I think somewhere along the line it gets lost up its own gore/mind-breaking-producing asshole.

Jex

Come on now, that's hardly the best new quote:

Male heterosexual moe fans are frequently made fun of. Being called manchildren, basement dwellers, etc. It seems any anime journalist that gets paid actual money for their content have a negative view of heterosexual moe fans but have gone on the record of saying they support homosexual marriage (and have homosexual friends).

So there is this kind of weird morality they have where heterosexual moe fans are sexist and misogynistic (or at least of supporting such content), so their is a disapproval of moe fans for adhering to traditional sex roles, while the same person who disapproves of moe fans for that embraces homosexual relationships (either actually or by way of approval for their friends and others to do so).

Jex

That's why my impressions are always so positive.
I want to be a ray of sunshine in the dark, overwhelmingly pessimistic corner of GAF that is the anime community.

One day, I hope to make you all remember how to smile again.

This will never happen when the main source of discourse is stuff like School Days. It was truly a better time when stuff like Usagi Drop was airing.

Thank you for trying though!

Jintor

And many would say it was better for it.

Personally, re: deconstructions, I feel the potential for damage in a harem situation is more emotional than anything else, and the use of gore and shock-value displays - even as resolutions of high-set emotional damage - detract heavily from any real point School Days has to make.

I also don't really think much of School Days as a whole, finding value only really in its shock value and reactions from viewers, so there's that also.

Narag

Fresh Precure 11-15

Wig episode was friggin' amazing. Great everything. Following episode? God no.

wL6Lyl.jpg

A vast improvement over the regular character designs and thus should have been the standard!

bandrul pls
I think you already know. They're providing the entertainment that otaku crave. It's not like School Days is a particularly moral, pleasant or feminist tale. One should not be surprised to find that it contains sickening and depraves scenes.
Considering how things turn out, I'd argue that the anime very much is. It's condemning the behavior of its protagonist, not celebrating it.

wonzo

Banned
This is one of the changes in Final Fantasy VII: Last Order I complained about.
Could've been much worse:

I usually fap to pictures of the pony I am finishing on. Makes the experience a lot more pleasant, see my cheerliee set.
brought to you by a tumblr dedicated to MLP hot glue action

Personally, re: deconstructions, I feel the potential for damage in a harem situation is more emotional than anything else, and the use of gore and shock-value displays - even as resolutions of high-set emotional damage - detract heavily from any real point School Days has to make.
I'd argue the opposite and say the sick and twisted ending is the perfect allegory for such an incredibly sick and twisted genre.

Come on now, that's hardly the best new quote:
Male heterosexual moe fans are frequently made fun of. Being called manchildren, basement dwellers, etc. It seems any anime journalist that gets paid actual money for their content have a negative view of heterosexual moe fans but have gone on the record of saying they support homosexual marriage (and have homosexual friends).

So there is this kind of weird morality they have where heterosexual moe fans are sexist and misogynistic (or at least of supporting such content), so their is a disapproval of moe fans for adhering to traditional sex roles, while the same person who disapproves of moe fans for that embraces homosexual relationships (either actually or by way of approval for their friends and others to do so).
iBqQEFsDJkfE.gif

I'm not even sure what exactly is wrong with the premise. It can be done in a classy way with the right director.
ಠ_ಠ You can't be that dense. Premises don't exist inside a vacuum, you know.
Would that even be remotely controversial? How much can Urobuchi really do with Type Moon trash?
How much can he do with anything?

Jex

Considering how things turn out, I'd argue that the anime very much is. It's condemning the behavior of its protagonist, not celebrating it.

I'm not so sure about that. While the protagonist is certainly condemned for his bad behaviour by the characters in the show I don't think the show as a whole actually cares. I think it's looking to entertain and shock it's audience in whatever manner will be most effective and that's just where they ended up at.

Which is basically what I think about Elfin Lied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom