• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yuru Yuri fuwa fuwa ep 6
I know this is a all girls show damn at least put some males in a comiket event. Poor poor Ayano.
It's a ladies only event. It was shown in the last series as well.

You know you can leave OPs and EDs on in the background.
I sometime do that. I carry on reading a GAF thread.

Sounds like a waste of three perfectly good minutes.
You need those bookends to hold up the books. You need to experience the complete package.

Good Lords above on Toast.

thatoverusedgif.gif

I see the future of 4 people's avatars

And it's bleak
Is this a round about way of requesting me to make this my avatar. No need to be tsun about it. If you say please I may consider it.

So the Gyo OVA is getting released in the UK with very appropriate boxart:
Anime in the UK. Whatever next? Also all releases need covers like that.

Accel world 11

This show is awesome!
THIS SHOW IS SO FUCKING AWESOME!!!
Never thought I'd see these words to describe the show.

And with another character named Yui. Guess Billiechu has a new potential avatar.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I need a new avatar, this face is just too much. I can't handle it.

If anyone is bored and wouldn't mind posting random suggestions I'd appreciate it.

duckroll

More screens of that KyoAni to mock, have fun guys:

68LdS.jpg

XP5Dt.jpg

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
A Letter to Momo - This was pretty good, It was VERY different from what I expected, when it was first announced I was expecting something naturalistic and down-to-earth akin to a Isao Takahata film. But it felt more like a homage to miyazaki instead, there's a lot of familiar elements on display here that reminded me of miyazaki films such as my neighbour totoro and spirited away, there isn't anything particularly original about it in that regard, but it does all of it's individual elements really well from the direction, characterization, animation music etc. The emotional core of the film was really well-done too, although I felt some of the supporting cast lacked development.

Really liked the animation too, the direction despite the fantastical nature of the plot, had a lot of those naturalistic touches that Okiura is known for, and there was a very nicely done sakuga running scene that reminded me a lot of Dennou coil in places.

Overall I'd say the biggest problem with the film is it feels a tad to safe, there really isn't much here that I haven't already seen done in other anime films, a good summary of the film is there's particularly nothing wrong with it, but nothing that really stands out as amazing either. The biggest compliment I can give to it, is it's better at being a ghibli film than the past several years of ghibli. And actually, if it was a ghibli film it would probably be a mid-tier one at best I think.

Anyway definitely glad I saw it, can't wait to see Wolf Children next month OMGGG.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Toradora 1-25
Being bored of the current season I dug into backlog stuff, and while I chewed through Toradora pretty quickly I'm left feeling rather lukewarm to it. Moving along at a pace that often feels crawling, characters consistently turn backwards or run away to needlessly delay the obvious and inevitable outcome. This sort of manufactured emotional build up is really just sort of frustrating to me. All conflict is derived around every girl in this show pining after the same character, and who can really blame them? How often does a nice guy come around who likes to cook and clean?

Ultimately though, I found myself perplexed with how these puzzle pieces of unrequited love fit into the larger story. From the outset it's clear that the focus of Toradora is on the relationship between Taiga and Ryuji, but the show is constantly tripping over itself to thrust other characters and pairings under the spotlight.

It would be one thing if each character introduced their own interesting dynamic, but the series has an incredibly limited range in its message, tone, and character operations. In spite of the cast being likeable and diverse, they all consistently play the same sad sack part committed to self sacrifice. It's as though the characters aren't really being used to their full potential, and for a story that lasts so long it spends most of its time turning in place on its heels. After drawing things out for so long the ending just sort of sputters out, doing little more than moving to the logical conclusion through a series of unnecessary contrivances. It's remarkably unsatisfying, and the lives of the supporting cast are all just sort of pushed out of sight and mind to be left in a state of flux.

Oh, and for the record, best girl was
Ami.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Toradora 1-25

Being bored of the current season I dug into backlog stuff, and while I chewed through Toradora pretty quickly I'm left feeling rather lukewarm to it. Moving along at a pace that often feels crawling, characters consistently turn backwards or run away to needlessly delay the obvious and inevitable outcome. This sort of manufactured emotional build up is really just sort of frustrating to me. All conflict is derived around every girl in this show pining after the same character, and who can really blame them? How often does a nice guy come around who likes to cook and clean?

Ultimately though, I found myself perplexed with how these puzzle pieces of unrequited love fit into the larger story. From the outset it's clear that the focus of Toradora is on the relationship between Taiga and Ryuji, but the show is constantly tripping over itself to thrust other characters and pairings under the spotlight.

It would be one thing if each character introduced their own interesting dynamic, but the series has an incredibly limited range in its message, tone, and character operations. In spite of the cast being likeable and diverse, they all consistently play the same sad sack part committed to self sacrifice. It's as though the characters aren't really being used to their full potential, and for a story that lasts so long it spends most of its time turning in place on its heels. After drawing things out for so long the ending just sort of sputters out, doing little more than moving to the logical conclusion through a series of unnecessary contrivances. It's remarkably unsatisfying, and the lives of the supporting cast are all just sort of pushed out of sight and mind to be left in a state of flux.

Oh, and for the record, best girl was
Ami.

At least you got one part almost right.
Taiga > Ami > Yasuko > everyone else > Minori

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I suppose it's all expectations though. Coming off Space Battleship Yamato, which is basically the Japanese version of BSG, I was expecting Crest to be similar based on your recommendations. I wasn't expecting a politics-loaded opening episode and the two main characters chasing down a bunch of street kids.
The main focus of the series is pretty much the relationship between the two main characters (which are lafiel and jinto ;p), the politics take a backseat to that. To be honest if you had a problem with the exposition in the first episode, you'll probably be complaining about LOGH more when you finally get around to watching it! :p
I suppose it's all expectations though. Coming off Space Battleship Yamato, which is basically the Japanese version of BSG, I was expecting Crest to be similar based on your recommendations. I wasn't expecting a politics-loaded opening episode and the two main characters chasing down a bunch of street kids.
Pay attention to how the two leads interact when you watch more, then you'll SEE why I'm crazy about the series. Because it's like totally the kind of thing I love if you know my tastes well.;p

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Use this as a base and join the Magi bandwagon!

jCKeK.gif
I will consider this, but I'm assuming it's related to a show that's actually good right? You wouldn't suggest something related to a crappy show would you?
So how long did you have it for then? And how long were you going for?
I'm not really certain how long I've had it, maybe 4 days or so? Was shooting for a week.
There's always this option:

iDYBLESixyd0L.jpg
Found this to be way funnier than I probably should have.

Horizon on the Middle of Nowhere 2 - 5
tumblr_m8fqnrwLNC1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Nicolas Bacon is my favorite of Oxford Academy, interesting fairy powers and abilities, and hilarious too. The fight even had
Noriki get involved with January, excellent
. The underwater battle was great too and as always epic Slicing Dragonfly action. Good episode in the end even if tons of battles were covered.

Oh and I wish they translated this. :/ I dont know that language.
tumblr_m8fqnrwLNC1qbxqfpo2_500.png

sonicmj1

Mobile Suit Gundam 08th MS Team 5

This episode had a different sort of tone, which I liked.

infBs71lzA9hu.png

I think this says it all.

While I suspect the events of this episode indicate we're not going to see the politics of the independent guerrillas (that'd disrupt the "Zeon is bad, Federation is good" narrative outline), this episode gave some extra dimension to the Zeon side, to the people in the occupied zone, and to some of our friends in 08th MS.

iIcowVQWWN71M.png

I like this guy. He's alright. He doesn't want any trouble. And he has a silly mustache.

Even though Eledore survives his injuries, this episode seemed to raise the stakes for me, driving home that major characters could actually wind up in serious danger. And that even though they're soldiers, they have lives outside of the battlefield that they want to return to.

08th MS and the Zeon superweapon seem inextricably entangled now. I like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom