• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

So the Gyo OVA is getting released in the UK with very appropriate boxart:

TPzmX.jpg

That's fucking amazing. I don't even know what to say, but... it seems very appropriate. Lol. I hope it makes Aniplex and Ufotable some money in royalties at least. Roflmao.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Miracle Train: Oedo-sen e Youkoso 01:

At the unsettling crossroads of bishounen anime and train otakuism, there lies Miracle Train. Now, I've been under the impression that train otakuism is a predominantly male pastime, but if anime can make guys give a shit about anything from soda to cephalopods to minor historical figures so long as it's anthropomorphized as a cute girl, I suppose that the presence of pretty boys can make girls interested in public transit.

So, the premise: if a girl in need of help boards a train on Tokyo's Oedo line, she may be transported to the MIRACLE☆TRAIN, a magical place where the impossibly-handsome embodiments of the various stations on the Oedo line help the girl to resolve whatever is troubling her. And if a guy in trouble boards the train? lol fuck off dude, you get nothing. It's your own fault for being a pig disgusting male.

This is one of those shows like SKET Dance or Ookami-san Nakamablahblah that centers around the main characters helping other characters with their problems, although in Miracle Train's case, it's about a 90%-9%-1% split between the bishies dicking around aimlessly, making the girl blush, and actually helping to resolve problems. This episode's problem was "girl's pet is ill and she's afraid of it dying", but the bishies spend most of the episode trying to track down the dog after it runs off and when they find it, BAM, problem resolved (except not because the pet's illness is never addressed again in spite of the fact that it's the reason that the Miracle Train appeared before the girl in the first place). I can't wait to see what other thrilling "problems" future occupants of the train have and what really terrible solutions the bishies ultimately provide.

The episode was also fairly light on the fujoshi bait, although there were a couple of choice lines that were cause for tittering when taken completely out of context. I just want one good train/tunnel metaphor out of this series and I'll be satisfied.

The amount of completely uninteresting train trivia infodump was pretty impressive too. Throughout the course of the episode there were actual pop-up boxes spouting useless trivia about the Oedo line. It's like a DVD bonus feature that you can't turn off!

Also, they totally ripped off the Baccano! ED:

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Im kind of interested in Miracle Train.
Did that just come out?

2009. Just based on the first episode, I think you would find this to be a pretty.........difficult watch. Bishounen stuff aside, it's basically a bunch of talking heads standing around in a train car.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Seems like my kind of show. I should jump in.
Yeah, if you like grungy military scifi without too much noise (although there's a bit that creeps in during episode 6 as they begin to open up the mythology), then this show is perfect.
In fact, it's a perfect compliment to Time Jam in terms of how they both approach dudes in space flying around in a space ship.

The hair is trying to tell you to look at her tits.
So it's Chet hair?

Miracle Train: Oedo-sen e Youkoso 01:

You know, the fact that it was about trains that turn into boys got me to watch the last two episodes just to see what it was about. I don't think I understood what was going on, other than the fact that it was very
:firehawk
. lol

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Why would you rip off the worst part of Baccano!?

Because it's cheaper than ripping off the good parts.

Really, the entire show would be better if, instead of stepping into a normal train car only to unwittingly enter the MIRACLE☆TRAIN, characters found themselves suddenly on board the Flying Pussyfoot face-to-face with Ladd Russo, who would then proceed to give the character advice on how to solve their problems through extreme violence.

You know, the fact that it was about trains that turn into boys got me to watch the last two episodes just to see what it was about. I don't think I understood what was going on, other than the fact that it was very
:firehawk
. lol

ahahahaha, now I have to watch the whole thing.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Miracle Train: Oedo-sen e Youkoso 02:

scintillating

-----------------------------

"Miracle Train, I have a problem. If I get transferred to America for my job, my boyfriend will leave me."

"You can always get another boyfriend."

"oh okay"

cajunator

Banned
2009. Just based on the first episode, I think you would find this to be a pretty.........difficult watch. Bishounen stuff aside, it's basically a bunch of talking heads standing around in a train car.

I watch a wide variety of anime.
The idea seems entertaining and ridiculous.
Its worth checking out.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Her hair knows what I like, so I suppose so.
Welp, now we've discovered boob hair.

Somewhere out there Lafiel is crying because of you.
He should have said to skip the first episode. :p

ahahahaha, now I have to watch the whole thing.
Fabulous!

You like men beating up women?! :p

Its worth checking out.
Don't you wish beautiful boy-trains could solve your woman problems?

-----

Smile Precure 25

So they decided to ship the two tomboys together. I approve.

I also like the wacky directing in the episode. That opening shot with the transition to the beach was just hilariously and charmingly old fashioned. lol
The Princess transformation is still fun to watch as well, as is the kill shot with Happy blowing out her wand. Yay stock footage.

And I suppose at the rate their collecting trinkets, we're due for another power up in 10 weeks or so? I wonder what could be more powerful than pegasus-unicorns.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Its worth checking out.

I was warning you about it because it's painfully boring, not because it lacked [redacted] :p It's always a tragedy when something fails to live up to the insanity of its premise, but this is definitely one of those occasions.

Smile Precure 25

So they decided to ship the two tomboys together. I approve.

ohshit, a Nissan Combination episode? Miracle Train can wait for the rest of the night (after I finish this episode).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I was warning you about it because it's painfully boring, not because it lacked [redacted] :p It's always a tragedy when something fails to live up to the insanity of its premise, but this is definitely one of those occasions.
The finale is a pretty big gamechanger though. lol

ohshit, a Nissan Combination episode? Miracle Train can wait for the rest of the night (after I finish this episode).
Oh yeah! It's like they are trying to come up with a new canon pairing for the doujin guys or something!

Narag

Glass Fleet 13

This is the most haphazardly stitched together recap episode I've ever seen. There's no additional framing to make up for it either aside from Michel's usual opening soliloquy and a brief comment from her at the end. They can't even do a clip show right.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
He should have said to skip the first episode. :p
The first episode is good though. I'm not even sure if your complaints about it make any sense though.
I suppose I don't mind teens in space (I sat through Space Pirates after all), but given that they had actual adult characters in the first episode, making it about teens in space was just something I wasn't expecting.
It's not about teens in space though.
the main characters are adults in banner 1 and onwards
it's pretty realistic when it comes to that kind of thing, it isn't stupid shit like Space Pirates.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The first episode is good though. I'm not even sure if your complaints about it make any sense though.
It's not about teens in space though.
the main characters are adults in banner 1 and onwards
it's pretty realistic when it comes to that kind of thing, it isn't stupid shit like Space Pirates.
The first episode playing out the setting of the universe from the perspective of Jinto was brutal, especially when they had the guy talk about how much of a douche his father is supposed to be. "Your father's dead, I guess you're the Lord now." Uhh, okay.

And I'm just assuming Lafiel and Jinto are the main characters. lol
I don't really care, but I already saw Jinto blush during their first real meeting, so there's a part of me that's bracing for a Renton/Eureka-esque relationship.

I suppose it's all expectations though. Coming off Space Battleship Yamato, which is basically the Japanese version of BSG, I was expecting Crest to be similar based on your recommendations. I wasn't expecting a politics-loaded opening episode and the two main characters chasing down a bunch of street kids.

yesssssssss

Better late than never, I guess.
Yup. In terms of ending a series, it's probably the most conclusive ending that you could get. lol

Yeah, if we thought the yuri shippers were coming out in force for this show before we probably haven't seen anything yet.
It's funny, because in Suite, since it's just two girls for half the show, the canon pairing is pretty obvious. Now they're giving fanboys 10 combinations right off that bat. lol

He's a true egalitarian, just like Hei.

http://i.minus.com/ioDazT8rZYh1x.gif
I wonder if someone has made a gif of all the kugilolis hitting their male love interests. lol

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Yup. In terms of ending a series, it's probably the most conclusive ending that you could get. lol

Please tell me that I'm going to be a party to a literal trainwreck ending.

It's funny, because in Suite, since it's just two girls for half the show, the canon pairing is pretty obvious. Now they're giving fanboys 10 combinations right off that bat. lol

Suite also had the advantage of the "harmony power" concept that some fans immediately took to mean something else, hahah.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Miracle Train: Oedo-sen e Youkoso 03:

“Miracle Train I have a problem. I’m only 14 but I want to get married.”

“Life is an adventure.”

“What relevant advice, thanks Miracle Train!”

Miracle Train: Oedo-sen e Youkoso 04:

“Miracle Train I have a problem. My business partner wants to expand our fortune-telling business but I’m afraid that the quality of service will go down.”

“Look to your past instead of your future.”

“I’ve divined from a nondescript ten-second flashback of my reading someone’s palm that I need to part ways with my business partner. Thanks Miracle Train!”

Miracle Train: Oedo-sen e Youkoso 05:

The infodump was fucking oppressive this episode. Seriously half of the episode’s dialogue was nothing but train trivia dribbling out of everyone’s mouths in the most forced manner possible.

Also, the most ridiculous “problem” yet:

“Miracle Train I have a problem. I’m not a train otaku but I take the train home with a dude who relentlessly spergs out about train trivia whenever he sees me and even though he’s clearly creepy and unrelatable his obsessive train passion gets me wet so I pretend to be a train otaku in order to get his attention but he never makes a move on me he just keeps talking about trains trains trains trains trains.”

“He’s totally into you, he just doesn’t know how to break the ice.”

“Okay guess I’ll just keep talking trains with him. Thanks Miracle Train!”

Seriously, replace “trains” with “video games”, “anime”, “comic books”, or the nerdy interest if your choosing and consider just how laughably detached from reality this scenario is. Even for a show about anthropomorphized train stations, a girl who’s not a nerd being attracted to a sexless pasty obsessive nerd because he’s a sexless pasty obsessive nerd is suspension of disbelief-breaking. lol this show.

Branduil

Miracle Train: Oedo-sen e Youkoso 05:

The infodump was fucking oppressive this episode. Seriously half of the episode’s dialogue was nothing but train trivia dribbling out of everyone’s mouths in the most forced manner possible.

Also, the most ridiculous “problem” yet:

“Miracle Train I have a problem. I’m not a train otaku but I take the train home with a dude who relentlessly spergs out about train trivia whenever he sees me and even though he’s clearly creepy and unrelatable his obsessive train passion gets me wet so I pretend to be a train otaku in order to get his attention but he never makes a move on me he just keeps talking about trains trains trains trains trains.”

“He’s totally into you, he just doesn’t know how to break the ice.”

“Okay guess I’ll just keep talking trains with him.”

Seriously, replace “trains” with “video games”, “anime”, “comic books”, or the nerdy interest if your choosing and consider just how laughably detached from reality this scenario is. Even for a show about anthropomorphized train stations, a girl who’s not a nerd being attracted to a sexless pasty obsessive nerd because he’s a sexless pasty obsessive nerd is suspension of disbelief-breaking. lol this show.

But isn't this show aimed at women?

Thoraxes

Hayate no Gotoku!! - 04

"Valentines Day is an irreplaceable day given to use delicate and pure maidens by pride-of-the-world Corporate Japan!"

"All sixteen years of my life are worthless since i've never had a girlfriend."

Hayate no Gotoku!! - 05

NTR! NTR! NTR!

Hayate no Gotoku!! - 06

The plot thickens. Next episode will be glorious as Hayate's fortitude will be challenged by all the women.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
But isn't this show aimed at women?

It's aimed at women, but I don't think that there's a lot of overlap between that demographic and the train otaku demographic. The subject matter is niche enough that I get the feeling that it was far more interesting to the people involved in its creation than it was to the audience.

It's clearly meant to be educational on top of being a cheap bishounen vehicle, but the information and trivia included in each episode never builds on itself and ends up being really scattershot in a way that fails to create a meaningful groundwork of train knowledge for the uninitiated. I doubt that the show successfully got anyone interested in trains.

Branduil

It's aimed at women, but I don't think that there's a lot of overlap between that demographic and the train otaku demographic. It's clearly meant to be educational on top of being a cheap bishounen vehicle, but the information and trivia included in each episode never builds on itself and ends up being really scattershot in a way that fails to create a meaningful groundwork of train knowledge for the uninitiated. I doubt that the show successfully got anyone interested in trains.

Maybe love trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom