• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love how Natsuyuki slipped in under the radar and has then remained so solid throughout. I honestly don't remember any hype, or potential hope for it back in the season transition period. (then again my memory is really poor)

It was the only real show from this season that I was looking forward to, but I guess I wasn't really 'hyped' per se. But I definitely expected it to be the standout show of the season, and was very optimistic for it.

To Love-ru 23
n9hI8.png

Japanese harem.
Saruyama gets jealous of all the attention Rito gets from all the ladies, so he starts dreaming weird folk tale inspired dreams. Weird, but kinda repetitive, since they basically go through this one part twice with basically the same animation.
ZrhC9.png

DASKOI!!!

Branduil

Well, considering that he was asking about things of a similar quality I wouldn't really recommend Summer Wars. One Piece Movie 6 is excellent, it's by the same director and it doesn't require any knowledge of One Piece to enjoy.

Well, not being as good as Tokikake doesn't mean he won't like it. Also, why has no one mentioned the Digimon films or Superflat Monogram?

wonzo

Banned
Just watched Girl Who Leapt Through Time, so damn good.

Anything of similar quality out there? Any quality anime movies released recently?
Time of Eve
Colourful
You Are Umasou
REDLINE
Sword of the Stranger
Mai Mai Miracle
Genius Party
Genius Party Beyond

I think I'm forgetting a few more but that's a good starting list.

Branduil

Time of Eve
Colourful
You Are Umasou
REDLINE
Sword of the Stranger
Mai Mai Miracle
Genius Party
Genius Party Beyond

I think I'm forgetting a few more but that's a good starting list.

Colorful. Japan officially recognizes the superior American spelling.

wonzo

Banned
Darn why cant other Funimation anime be as loaded (for Funi) as that Serial Experiments Lain set, a 320pg Artbook with it.
tumblr_m96co7pFBB1qbxqfpo1_500.jpg
Awesome, they're really going all out for this release.

You say this as if I haven't already ordered it!

Hmm... hopefully that's either an early render, or they haven't sent that box art to the printer's quite yet...

ij0V0.png
sounds like some crappy DEEN production

Colorful. Japan officially recognizes the superior American spelling.
sorry but my spellcheck >>>>> japans use of english words any day of the week

BluWacky

Ezalc's jubilation has made me think about my favourite episode of anime ever, and although I have some favourites which are probably a bit classier or more thoughtful ("Unfulfilled Jury", episode 7 of Utena, is one of these) I think I've mentioned before that probably my favourite episode of anime ever is episode 19 of Escaflowne, "Operation Golden Rule of Love".

Here's why. It's long, sorry people, and I hope I haven't screwed up layouts too badly.

I've tried to avoid being spoilery as far as possible bearing in mind this is a late episode in the series and I've covered some things up with spoiler bars. Everything else I mention should be generic enough or incomprehensible enough to you if you don't know the show that it shouldn't matter I hope!

1. Nostalgia

Escaflowne's my favourite anime of all time, so it stands to reason that it was likely to have my favourite episode of anime ever. It's probably not the best I've seen, but Esca was my true "gateway" anime rather than just enjoying bits and bobs that I'd seen on TV - it was the first show I owned on DVD blah blah blah.

2. The Episode Title

Escaflowne's English language release was, I believe, translated by whoever had done the original VHS fansubs in 96/97. I've forgotten the translator's name, but he does a fantastic job with the translations in general (IMO) and I've always liked his rendering of the episode titles - particularly "The Diabolical Adonis" for 魔性の美少年 (mashou no bishounen, literally "demonic pretty boy") early in the series.

I'd thought for years that Operation Golden Rule of Love was some kind of weird Engrish thing, but it's a very literal translation of the title. The Golden Rule is rather menacing in the context of the events of this episode - literally "do unto others as you would have others do unto you", except here it's forced upon the characters to act in this way.

I will also admit that for years I thought that the Golden Rule was related to Isaac Newton, which would be particularly fitting if you know anything about Escaflowne. Alas, it turns out this isn't really the case unless you watch Youtube clips of Oprah Winfrey in a science lab. Maybe I should just stick with that.

They even rendered the 金 in the title in gold. That's nifty, that is.

3. The Little Touches

Escaflowne is hardly avant-garde but watching the show reminds me that not every show would bother to do some of the things you see here.

Take, for instance, this shot from early in the episode:

It's hardly subtle - Allen is pensive and reflective, hence why we see his reflection - but the episode has Gaddes pour more drink into his cup and they hand-animated the "rippling" of Allen's reflection. It's only about three frames of animation on loop, but it's a small touch that makes a difference (the ripples later in the episode when Hitomi throws a stone into a river are much more "conventional" but no less appealing).

There's a scene a little bit later (see above screen shots) between Millerna and Hitomi where the sun passes behind a cloud (again, not subtle imagery), and the lighting levels in Millerna's bedroom fade down slowly with the sunlight - both background and character art. It's not a big deal, but it's a nice touch to add to a well acted scene.

4. The Big Touches 1 - The Windmill Scene

I love the end of this scene, which is at the midway point of the episode. You know how the scene's going to end because of Hitomi's previous characterisation -
she refuses to be used as a deliberate weapon against Zaibach
- and so we don't see it. We don't even hear it. We just get a few short shots of animation - Hitomi crushing the straw, the gulls flying out of the windmill - and then the aftermath. It's perfect, and the final shots of Van in the windmill are the icing on the cake.

5. The Big Touches 2 - FREAKING DANDELIONS

Hand animated dandelion seeds, people. They even throw in a flying flower petal at the end, and I'm a total sucker for anything like that - this explains so much about why I like CLAMP stories.

Plus, this scene features Eries, and I love Eries. One of the consequences of Escaflowne's frantic pace is it throws hordes of characters at us and some of them never get quite enough time spent with them. Sometimes the show gets it right on seemingly throwaway characters - Zongi in the Freid arc, for instance, is dealt with perfectly - but Eries and particularly Jajuka are characters I always wanted to see more of. Eries has an intriguingly complicated relationship with Allen (for spoilery reasons) and this scene is my favourite embodiment of it.

It's also shoujo as hell.

6. EVERYTHING FROM 15 MINUTES INTO THE EPISODE ONWARDS

Well, really it's everything from just under 17 minutes into the episode when my favourite piece of Escaflowne instrumental music kicks in. But the "climax" of the epiosde, when the Operation goes into effect, is probably more gripping than any one of the excellent mecha fights in Escaflowne for me. Even if the Zaibach soldiers do make me laugh as they all say "altering fate!" one after another in a really ridiculous way.

Things I like about the end of the episode in particular, illustrated with a few choice shots. Read this with Chain playing in the background. I've even linked it for you, I'm that nice.

- It's a conveniently dramatic storm. Yes, lightning flashes at particularly momentous occasions. It's glorious.

- I love the steampunk aesthetic in Zaibach and it allows brilliant shots like this, where the action is framed by hissing steam jets. There's an even better one later in the sequence but it's a bit more spoilery.

- one of Escaflowne's real strengths for me are its sympathetic antagonists (aside from Dornkirk). This shot doesn't have quite the same impact without the animation of Naria's eyes here, but this and Eriya's acting throughout the scene work on so many emotionally tortuous levels.
Is Naria just nervous about the fate alteration, or is she desperately jealous of her sister? Meanwhile, Eriya has to "pretend" to be in love with Folken-as-Allen, so not only is she forced into a situation she has longed for with Folken but she also has to contend with Folken treating the whole thing as an operation. "Think only of me", he says to her - and that's exactly why it's so delicious to watch.

- The whole plot point that this hinges around is delightfully ambiguous. I will admit to being very frustrated with this episode when I originally watched it because I couldn't decide whether or not what happens is due to the antagonists
forcing Allen and Hitomi to kiss through use of the Destiny Prognostication Engine
, or whether
it's really just their desires and Zaibach has nothing to do with it
. On reflection, however, I've come to enjoy this because it's kind of the point of the series - that
yes, Hitomi had the power to manipulate destiny, but actually everything should be down to choice, because humanity has free will. That and she should snog emo dragon boy, not the chauvinist with mummy issues.

7. The Bad Thing About This Episode

I don't think Dornkirk ever gets to say "maboroshi no tsuki no SHOUUUUUUUUJO" in his gravelly old man voice in this episode, which is a downside. Escaflowne has some of my favourite voice acting in all of anime - Minami Takayama going batshit insane as Dilandau, Joji Nakata and his ridiculous basso profundo voice as Folken, and of course Maaya Sakamoto, the only seiyuu I will ever fanboy over, as Hitomi.

8. The Other Bad Thing About This Episode

Mystic Eyes is still a lame-ass ending song.

That's it, folks. I'm done now. Apologies if this is too "bloggy" for the thread.

Lurky

Branduil

Ezalc's jubilation has made me think about my favourite episode of anime ever, and although I have some favourites which are probably a bit classier or more thoughtful ("Unfulfilled Jury", episode 7 of Utena, is one of these) I think I've mentioned before that probably my favourite episode of anime ever is episode 19 of Escaflowne, "Operation Golden Rule of Love".

Great post, great episode. Escaflowne is one of the few series that manages to be anime-as-all-get-out while still being legitimately good entertainment. It's a quality of direction I've come to expect from Kazuki Akane.

8. The Other Bad Thing About This Episode

Mystic Eyes is still a lame-ass ending song.

Too true. I skip it every time.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Space Brothers 18

Ahahahaha. This had me laughing out loud.

Makabe's daughter is the best. And gotta love the way he prepares his hair. That's some classy stuff right there.

I liked 00 OST more but Seed is a close 2nd. :)

final mission

fight

prototype

Ash Like Snow

Celestial Being need to intervene in Syria, erase war from the planet

00 certainly also had great OST but imo the music didn't blend to overall series as well as in SEED. In SEED it felt that the anime was built around the music. Well when it comes to music there is no wrong opinions. Everyone has their taste. =)

The OST is one of the few redeemable parts of Destiny. Really quite good. The OP's, on the other hand...well, Pride is ok.

I actually liked the OP's except the last one that was just bizarre compared to overall musical direction of the series. It was also slightly annoying that they used pretty much same animation scenes in every OP....

Ultimadrago

Mobile Suit Gundam 08th MS Team 7

Well, Shiro indeed knows how to
put himself out there
. Then again, was there ever a doubt?

This is strangely another episode I don't have much to say about besides the obvious. It confronts the main romantic pairing who seem to be found by fate. Something inside me appreciates that the confrontation didn't instantly escalate and dwell upon
Shiro taking the relationship as important and worthy or developing while Aina thinks that they should focus only on the war and conflicting sides. Therefore, a full episode on them debating about the essential nature of one over the other.
This in itself wouldn't be a negative, if executed well as it could hold a wealth of character insight that wasn't raised before
probably not consisting of that "standing naked" proclamation from Aina

However, let's just say I'm glad they went with a more relaxed route
(at least relaxed for now)
. They acknowledge the case for now without allowing it to potentially bog things.

On a side note, Shiro's resourcefulness from the first episode makes a comeback,
in order to make a hot spring!
I'm hoping he makes an anti-air defense system out of some rocks next.

Stop like, analysing stuff man.

:Cwarrior

Thoraxes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom