• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.
More Magi shilling, still no new anime footage. :(

popif.jpg

New artwork and with cool Alibaba smiling.

But their doing the odd thing with the hair being completely transparent to show the eyes :/

Jex

Summer Wars and The Wolf Children Ame and Yuki are by the same director.

Well, considering that he was asking about things of a similar quality I wouldn't really recommend Summer Wars. One Piece Movie 6 is excellent, it's by the same director and it doesn't require any knowledge of One Piece to enjoy.

I love how Natsuyuki slipped in under the radar and has then remained so solid throughout. I honestly don't remember any hype, or potential hope for it back in the season transition period. (then again my memory is really poor)

For a "hype train" for a show (or movie) to arise, one of three things must be the case.

1) It is a sequel to a popular show. (e.g., K-ON! movie)

2) It is an adaptation of popular source material or part of a popular franchise. (e.g., Fate/Zero)

3) One of its creators is a popular person. (e.g., Shinichiro Watanabe)

For Natsuyuki Rendezvous, none of these things were true and thus there was no hype. Personally I was very excited for it, since I had read a few chapters of the manga, and heard something of Kou Matsuo's directing style, and the PVs looked quite good. It has certainly lived up to my expectations.

Many of the best shows and movies have no hype attached to them before they come out, and often none even after they finish airing.

duckroll

For a "hype train" for a show (or movie) to arise, one of three things must be the case.

1) It is a sequel to a popular show. (e.g., K-ON! movie)

2) It is an adaptation of popular source material or part of a popular franchise. (e.g., Fate/Zero)

3) One of its creators is a popular person. (e.g., Shinichiro Watanabe)

For Natsuyuki Rendezvous, none of these things were true and thus there was no hype. Personally I was very excited for it, since I had read a few chapters of the manga, and heard something of Kou Matsuo's directing style, and the PVs looked quite good. It has certainly lived up to my expectations.

Many of the best shows and movies have no hype attached to them before they come out, and often none even after they finish airing.

I dunno. My only condition is "animated by BONES"!

cajunator

Banned
I'm a member again! AnimeGAF, today is a day of celebration! Everybody go watch your favorite episode of your favorite anime in honor of this great day.

'Grats! How did you lose status in the first place and regain it?

More Magi shilling, still no new anime footage. :(

popif.jpg

That's cute artwork but I agree on the ricebowl mouth. Oh well at least the blue haired kid is a cute design.

Ezalc

'Grats! How did you lose status in the first place and regain it?

I think it was because I was too lazy to type out a junior member's name so I just called him junior. I got juniored as a joke apparently. As for how I regained it, the mods and admins sorrounded me and made me do questionable things.
Duckroll forced me to watch Guilty Crown
I have no idea, I know that Stump said he was going to look into my case in the is GAF too strict thread.

Utena 6
jbz5gGpgCEkFc4.jpg

How lewd.

Miki with dat perception. And he's not even making a big stink about Touga dunking all over him last episode. Truly the best of the Utenas.

Also: we need to go deeper.

Just so you know,
your little reactionposts are filling lots of hearts with anticipation of what there is to come.
I will be there... watching.
I'm split between gratitude and fear. Pretty soon my brain is going to stop trying to separate the two. Mindbreak End.

Stop like, analysing stuff man.
Right? Thinking is for chumps.

Kazzy

Well, considering that he was asking about things of a similar quality I wouldn't really recommend Summer Wars. One Piece Movie 6 is excellent, it's by the same director and it doesn't require any knowledge of One Piece to enjoy.

...I did not know this! I've suddenly become very interested in watching something One Piece related.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Just go ahead and tell him to join the only true team, Team Asuna.

No. One must not give answers so easily young one. We must guide him to enlightenment. Only after coming to the proper conclusion by one's own choice and journey, will he truly be accepted.

P.S. Join team Asuna.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
One Piece - 559

Finally got caught up to the latest episode of One Piece (was too tired to make this post last night).

Usopp, Chopper, and Luffy losing their shit at Franky's new inventions almost, almost, made up for the ridiculous length of this arc. That whole skit was adorable, hilarious, and then some.

Sanji using the
Geppou
technique was awesome, as I was hoping he would get a significant power boost during the two year gap. And Zoro was simply Zoro
aka overpowered as hell.

Jex

[Fullmetal Alchemist] - 43

I would take a moment to talk about this shows plot but really there's little point in doing so. It's not like I'm going to really discuss it with anyone and it doesn't really matter anyway. Things are progressing along at a good pace and that's all that really matters.

This episode doesn't feel wholly consistent, direction-wise. There's a number of good scenes but it's a little bit spotty and I don't really detect a strong guiding hand to tie it all together. Never the less, there's some nice stuff to talk about. This shot is pretty cool:

FullmetalAlchemistBrotherhood431.png

Why? It establishes some important information. The guy at the front of the frame has heard a noise from all the way at the back, passed the two walls and into the obscured corridor. He doesn't know what's out there, but it's got him concerned. This shot shows us that there are two barriers (the two walls) between him and the noise, so it shows us that he's relatively safe from whatever that noise. Those barriers are protecting him. Or are they...

FullmetalAlchemistBrotherhood432.png

I guess not. Ed has literally broken through the barriers that we all thought were protecting this guy. This shocks both him and us and it demonstrates Ed's power - he knows more than the audience.

Next up is a little car chase sequence that isn't particularly amazing but contains effective shots. For example:

FullmetalAlchemistBrotherhood435.png
FullmetalAlchemistBrotherhood434.png

As you can see, these two shots are wide-angle, making the inside of the car look much bigger than it appears and stretching the characters inside the vehicle. Everything is a little bit stretched and weird, the world if off-balance and uncertain which is fitting for an action scene.

FullmetalAlchemistBrotherhood436.png
FullmetalAlchemistBrotherhood437.png

The use of these quick cuts to low-angle shots of the driver performing certain actions builds up the tempo of the scene, puts the camera in interesting places and makes the action feel more dynamic because we're following the exact movements of the driver as he does them. It brings us closer, literally, to what's happening on screen in the hope that we'll feel more engaged with it.

FullmetalAlchemistBrotherhood433.png

For whatever reason they kept cutting back to this shot every so often. I think the director thought that it would imbue the audience with a sense of speed but I think it just looks odd. There's no real reason for it to be shot from a canted camera and, frankly, it doesn't sit well with the images that it's edited near to.

Cwarrior

Summer wars is a lot closer to "forced hammy meloDrama through time" then One piece movie 6.

Fun filled shounen island adventure might not jive with the sort that liked those movie.

op movie 6 is even more enjoyable if your familiar with the source material, certain viewers might demand answers to the bizarre things on screen like "why is there a talking transforming tannuki in the crew""did that classy woman make lots of hands pop out of the ground with her mind?".

Articalys

So that's why the MSRP is $90.

More importantly, they're also reconfirming that it's the native HD video, not an upscale.

edit: here's the full quote:
"We've been getting a lot of questions about the Lain Blu-ray, it's not an up-res, it is native HD. They actually went back and remastered the whole series, we even have a 24 page restoration booklet (along with a 320 page artbook) included with our release."

Oh wow, an ABe artbook. I'll be all over that.

[Fullmetal Alchemist] - 43

I would take a moment to talk about this shows plot but really there's little point in doing so. It's not like I'm going to really discuss it with anyone and it doesn't really matter anyway. Things are progressing along at a good pace and that's all that really matters.

Yeah, the pacing of Brotherhood is pretty good through its middle portion. It does get draggy at the end, just as a warning.

Finished up UN-GO. I liked it, but it wasn't great. I feel like they really could have done so much more with it, especially given how much they emphasized the war. The beginning of the first episode was in the thick of the war (I assume), his war-torn self is featured heavily in the OP/ED, and they mention the war every single episode. Still don't know jack shit about it. Not to mention all the spiritual aspects like Inga/Bettenou, they could really have gone far with that.

Actually now that I think about it I'm thoroughly disappointed. I could probably bitch about it for another couple paragraphs, but I gotta head out.

6/10

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Finished up UN-GO. I liked it, but it wasn't great. I feel like they really could have done so much more with it, especially given how much they emphasized the war. The beginning of the first episode was in the thick of the war (I assume), his war-torn self is featured heavily in the OP/ED, and they mention the war every single episode. Still don't know jack shit about it. Not to mention all the spiritual aspects like Inga/Bettenou, they could really have gone far with that.

Actually now that I think about it I'm thoroughly disappointed.

6/10

Be sure to watch Un-Go Episode 0: Inga-ron now. It retroactively makes some plot points less incomprehensible (especially the origin of Bettennou) and fills in some basic backstory necessary to understand the motives of the various important characters in the show, all of which was excluded from the show for fuck knows why.

You'll even understand why
there are some oddly-prominent idol statues in the OP and a bandage-faced guy in the ED that never appear in the show
, olololol.

Reknoc

Actually now that I think about it I'm thoroughly disappointed. I could probably bitch about it for another couple paragraphs, but I gotta head out.

6/10

Don't forget to watch Episode 0 if you want nothing explained!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom