• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soma

Keep telling yourself that.

Excellent contribution to the discussion!

Branduil

The various other minor details on the site with regards to the setting and story of the show confirm that Psycho-Pass is a near-future detective thriller sort of anime, dealing with law enforcement in a high-tech world, etc. Sounds good to me! :)

Isn't this going to be all-CGI, or am I thinking of something else?

duckroll

Isn't this going to be all-CGI, or am I thinking of something else?

No one really knows. There is probably a pretty heavy CG component since the first teaser was a CG gun, and it looks like it's going to be an IG show, but if Shiotani is directing it's not likely going to be full CG, since the guy is an animator himself. We'll find out... soon! Lol.

Branduil

This is the weirdest and worst sort of change you could make to a show. I can't even tell which is "before" and "after" because there's no objective view of one being better or worse than the other, they're both simply completely different background and setting designs. It's really.... bizarre. >_<

It's like they're Lucas-ing their own shows but instead of waiting 20 years they're doing it after a few months.

Erm, it's bad because it's pointless revisionism. It is damaging to art when you change things without a good reason and without preserving what was done before. By completely changing backgrounds in the home video releases, it means they are removing and invalidating the existence of the TV versions from commercial release. This is really no different from what Lucas does with Star Wars with each release, trying to replace stuff and revise the "definitive" vision. It's bullshit and should be condemned.

Oh, I see you already went there.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
It's like they're Lucas-ing their own shows but instead of waiting 20 years they're doing it after a few months.

At least, unlike Lucas, they aren't adding more shitty CG. Though I guess the the manservice censoring was done digitally, so that argument goes out the window.

Branduil

I have no love for what Lucas did to Star Wars in general in the 90s, but I consider the militant purists of the original cut to be... not an example I would follow in any way.

Even ignoring that there's a big difference between making cosmetic changes to a work that was released 20 years ago and had since cemented itself into popular culture as opposed to changing a niche work that is barely half a year old.

In short, nobody cares.

If the artists don't care about their work, why should anyone else?

Branduil

We're just going to have to disagree on this. Art is a medium of personal expression and communication, and as such the artist is the ultimate authority on how this personal construct is composed, and that includes the right to revise. Whether it's from some internal drive to improve or acquiescing to the wishes and/or pressures from your audience. And yes, I absolutely believe that George Lucas was 100% well within his right to do what he did to the original movies, as undesirable as those changes would be to us. I may not like it, but I'm not going to claim moral superiority over a work that I had absolutely no hand in creating.

The original cuts of the Star Wars trilogy are important cultural artifacts. George Lucas is basically an art vandal. Especially since it's not like he made them all by himself.

Natsuyuki 8

Can bad things happen to Ghostprick yet? Like devoured by a Hellmouth, or whatever happens to shitty ghosts in Japanese folklore? I'm finding it hard to feel anything but contempt for this guy.

Not to defend SHAFT, but there is a difference between what they do and what Lucas does.
Culture has really gone to shit if that's the case.
Regardless of the quality, Star Wars is/was important.

Not all revision is bad, you guys make it sound like an artist should never touch a piece of artwork again if their pencil leaves the paper.

duckroll

Not all revision is bad, you guys make it sound like an artist should never touch a piece of artwork again if their pencil leaves the paper.

They shouldn't try to pass it off as the same thing if they have modified it though. There's nothing wrong with revisiting something and doing it differently if it is presented as a modified work. But trying to go back and change things you did to completely replace the previous work is wrong.

Any revisionism which replaces the existing work is bad. There is nothing wrong with multiple versions co-existing, but they should be properly communicated.

jman2050

Think of it this way, imagine if the Louvre decided the Mona Lisa was outdated and they painted over it with their own take. People would be outraged regardless of the legality of doing so.

No, it'd be like the Louvre commissioning a revised version of the Mona Lisa (not painted over, that would be stupid) that is then presented as a follow up to the original.

Really, the only problem with what Lucas did is attempting to make the original cuts inaccessible, a stance that I will not defend. But nothing more.

Natsuyuki 08

Zzzzz...All the feels I had for this show is slowly going away. This is dragging quite long, not even really sure where it's going anymore.

jman2050

They shouldn't try to pass it off as the same thing if they have modified it though. There's nothing wrong with revisiting something and doing it differently if it is presented as a modified work. But trying to go back and change things you did to completely replace the previous work is wrong.

Any revisionism which replaces the existing work is bad. There is nothing wrong with multiple versions co-existing, but they should be properly communicated.

I'm pretty sure there's no danger of the TV broadcast of Nise no longer being available nowadays. Heck, even if that weren't the case, the original version was broadcast solely on TV with the explicit expectation that it would be released in a permanent form on Blu-Ray revised. That sounds like proper communication to me.

Excellent contribution to the discussion!
Bah, it's not like I've heard anyone talk about the merits of Bakemonogatari. Going through old threads is too much of a pain in the ass. For the record, I don't think it's totally worthless. I just don't think the good outweighs the bad.

Fair enough.

wonzo

Banned
Natsuyuki Rendezvous 8

Yeah, I really wish Shimao's control over Hazuki's body would come to an end as it's really starting to give me the shits. I just want them to focus on Hazuki's and Rokka's relationship but instead I get this arsehole of a ghost messing things up. Whatever, at least there was some nice clothing sakuga at the very end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom