• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

Maybe it'll do what Gintama has been doing and take some time off and they'll just rotate.

Though, don't even think that Sket Dance is in any danger of catching up with the manga based off what I seen in this thread and what I read.
I guess that is an option; by my best estimate they could be anywhere from 80-100 chapters behind. It's also worth noting that Sket Dance is recently ranking about the same or slightly better than Gintama in Weekly Shonen Jump.

Mandoric

Banned
I assume you mean the original 1978 series? I broadly agree with the points you've raised - the original series is surprisingly boring and flat. It's pretty interesting that it managed to influence a whole generation of anime creators considering how poorly it's stood the test of time.

Every show has a beginning and an end; its innovation was having a clear middle, rather than what particularly was there.

Jinrui 09

ixNeU13bMUPZN.jpg

The fairies antics are really what makes me like this show.

Accel World (rewatch) 1-3

Just mainly paying attention to the visuals and its flashier than I remember. I think its vastly enjoyable a second time through and its really growing on me and KYH is hilarious. Taku/Haru moments still win and the backdoor!

Monochrome Factor 1

I dont understand what Haruka is adding to the plot as she seems distracting, But Kenga was hilarious with Akira, and Akira is a really cool and powerful main character and that blushing. Shirogane is alright. Is their power really transferred through kisses? Really enjoyable with the supernatural ghost shadow and light stuff, will definitely keep watching.

BluWacky

Interesting that you should say this. I haven't watched many shoujo anime, but the few ones I've tried haven't generally given me that impression - I mean, Lovely Complex doesn't have amazing animation or anything but it still has a lot of charm and character. The only shoujo show I've tried and thought the production values were too low to be enjoyable was Bokura ga Ita (ironically an Akitarou Daichi work).

Bokura ga Ita is my main example of this. I read a bit of the manga after it won the Shogakukan Award a few years back and surprisingly loved it, but the anime captured absolutely none of the atmosphere that the manga creates. Shoujo romantic dramas often have very "wispy" artwork, with soft lines and panels that blur into each other. It makes everything seem hazy and wistful and makes even the most ridiculous melodrama seem somehow more emotionally affecting, I guess. The live action movie adaptation has been a huge hit at the cinema, incidentally.

It's odd because Daichi does such great work with the Fruits Basket anime, but that's much funnier than Bokura ga Ita ever was and comedy is really his strength.

Other examples of weak shoujo anime are:

Fushigi Yuugi and Ayashi no Ceres (both by Studio Pierrot, both Yuu Watase adaptations) - Fushigi Yuugi was infamously low budget, even at the time, and Ayashi no Ceres unfortunately didn't improve matters much. Watase's manga artwork is infamously good (sometimes to the exclusion of anything like a decent plot...) and although Fushigi Yuugi, with its fantasy setting and harem of bishounen, could get away with okay artwork, Ceres is set in the modern day and is a significantly darker work, and would have benefited from much better animation in its numerous action sequences.

Aishiteruze Baby is Usagi Drop but with the father figure being a teenager. Although the story itself was touching and nicely handled, the animation was severely limited. Who remembers AishiBaby now, while Usagi Drop gets a live action adaptation and a beautiful anime from Production IG? For a similar big name shoujo adaptation with poor production values you could look at Itazurana Kiss from the same studio.

Glass no Kamen, the grandma of shoujo manga, has been animated twice. I've only seen the modern adaptation, but the whole point is that this is a story about acting, and yet none of the girls actually act in it because the animation isn't good enough - they strike poses and proclaim, but although that works to an extent in manga it just doesn't cut it in a visual medium IMO.

These are just a few examples where the charm of the story - or at least its "impact" - has been dulled by poor production values. To be fair, there are several excellent shoujo adaptations with good production values or direction, such as:

- The Madhouse CLAMP adaptations, particularly Cardcaptor Sakura and X, had sumptuous animation
- the Please Save My Earth OVAs, which are beautifully atmospheric thanks to the music and art being top notch
- Kare Kano, where the frequently appalling animation is rendered charming by the quality of the scripts and the occasional visual invention
- Fruits Basket, as mentioned above
- Skip Beat!, which does "acting" much more entertainingly than Glass no Kamen does
- Ouran High School Host Club, which absolutely surpasses its original manga
- Utena, obviously

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oda Nobuna 8

Another weird first person POV shot of dude feeding a loli:
CrgSml.jpg

I wonder if this is a new trend in anime directing!

Also, I'd love to live in this supposed future of his:
6G3r2l.jpg

Maybe his future is also an alternate reality!

----
Jinrui 9
c3xpol.png

This was cute.

For a one off, non-arc episode, it really feels like it went back to the absurdities of the first arc rather than the scifi stuff that's been happening with the Y/Voyager/Assistant arcs. I think it would have been nice if this was slotted in between two of those arcs, but maybe this episode is signalling a change of tone for the final episodes.

Still, watching Watashi basically play a live action version of
Civilization with the fairies
was fun. It was also a nice reminder of what a
bureaucrat she can be.
lol

survivor

Banned
Interesting that you should say this. I haven't watched many shoujo anime, but the few ones I've tried haven't generally given me that impression - I mean, Lovely Complex doesn't have amazing animation or anything but it still has a lot of charm and character. The only shoujo show I've tried and thought the production values were too low to be enjoyable was Bokura ga Ita (ironically an Akitarou Daichi work).

Just checked out a few clips of the Bokura ga Ita anime and it's really making a compelling case to make me stay with reading the manga.

Bokura ga Ita is my main example of this. I read a bit of the manga after it won the Shogakukan Award a few years back and surprisingly loved it, but the anime captured absolutely none of the atmosphere that the manga creates. Shoujo romantic dramas often have very "wispy" artwork, with soft lines and panels that blur into each other. It makes everything seem hazy and wistful and makes even the most ridiculous melodrama seem somehow more emotionally affecting, I guess. The live action movie adaptation has been a huge hit at the cinema, incidentally.

It's odd because Daichi does such great work with the Fruits Basket anime, but that's much funnier than Bokura ga Ita ever was and comedy is really his strength.

Other examples of weak shoujo anime are:

Fushigi Yuugi and Ayashi no Ceres (both by Studio Pierrot, both Yuu Watase adaptations) - Fushigi Yuugi was infamously low budget, even at the time, and Ayashi no Ceres unfortunately didn't improve matters much. Watase's manga artwork is infamously good (sometimes to the exclusion of anything like a decent plot...) and although Fushigi Yuugi, with its fantasy setting and harem of bishounen, could get away with okay artwork, Ceres is set in the modern day and is a significantly darker work, and would have benefited from much better animation in its numerous action sequences.

Aishiteruze Baby is Usagi Drop but with the father figure being a teenager. Although the story itself was touching and nicely handled, the animation was severely limited. Who remembers AishiBaby now, while Usagi Drop gets a live action adaptation and a beautiful anime from Production IG? For a similar big name shoujo adaptation with poor production values you could look at Itazurana Kiss from the same studio.

Glass no Kamen, the grandma of shoujo manga, has been animated twice. I've only seen the modern adaptation, but the whole point is that this is a story about acting, and yet none of the girls actually act in it because the animation isn't good enough - they strike poses and proclaim, but although that works to an extent in manga it just doesn't cut it in a visual medium IMO.

These are just a few examples where the charm of the story - or at least its "impact" - has been dulled by poor production values. To be fair, there are several excellent shoujo adaptations with good production values or direction, such as:

- The Madhouse CLAMP adaptations, particularly Cardcaptor Sakura and X, had sumptuous animation
- the Please Save My Earth OVAs, which are beautifully atmospheric thanks to the music and art being top notch
- Kare Kano, where the frequently appalling animation is rendered charming by the quality of the scripts and the occasional visual invention
- Fruits Basket, as mentioned above
- Skip Beat!, which does "acting" much more entertainingly than Glass no Kamen does
- Ouran High School Host Club, which absolutely surpasses its original manga
- Utena, obviously

Thanks very much for the detailed response. This is where my inexperience really leaves me at a disadvantage when trying to form general conclusions. I suppose shoujo manga have been particularly unfortunate in receiving low budget adaptations; perhaps that's a side-effect of the traditional emphasis on investing animation resources into action instead of character acting. Aishiteruze Baby had actually slipped my mind - I've seen some rather unattractive screenshots of it, but I still want to check it out for some reason. I'm certainly glad that Usagi Drop received better treatment.

I'll have to add Skip Beat! to my to-watch list; it hadn't been on my radar before now.

Just checked out a few clips of the Bokura ga Ita anime and it's really making a compelling case to make me stay with reading the manga.

It is seriously in the running for the most bland visuals I've ever seen in anime.

Jex

Every show has a beginning and an end; its innovation was having a clear middle, rather than what particularly was there.

I seem to remember interviews with a number of people who said that the show felt a lot more mature than other things they were watching due to it's ongoing, episode by episode plot story developments.

Jex

Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse 8

Ugly CG and terrible action be damned, the show is at its best when it's doing the political/mecha stuff. Next ep preview shows some promise too.

Dear god man you should spoiler-tag that stuff, it might make people go blind.

BluWacky

This shot, for instance, takes up a single small panel in the corner of a page in the first chapter of the manga. Technically this is being "faithful" to the original material - but the detail is missing in the manga for space reasons, not artistic laziness. Without wishing to go crazily off-topic, the first chapter of Bokura ga Ita has some really nice panel layouts.

I'm not normally one for going "bu-bu-bu the manga was better!" because I normally don't read manga, but this is one of those cases where it really, truly was better.

Jex

I definitely agree that the direction in the first series was exceptional. The tone was extremely consistent and the staff did a great job developing atmosphere. Just looking at the opening arc highlights the difference in talent between the two staff. The scene with Ed in the church talking to Rose, in the first series, was masterful. Hell you could look at the
way Hughes and his death was handles as another example.

That said, this darker tone transferred into the anime-original writing and gave the show a fundamentally different message compared to the manga/Brotherhood. This is my main gripe with the original series as it kinda shits on the characters at the end.

In short,I would say the directing of the first adaptation was better but the writing in the second adaptation/manga is better.
Well, I can't really say if the writing is really any better in Brotherhood but I certainly didn't really care for the finale endgame that developed in the original series. Despite that I still prefer the original series to Brotherhood just because the area's that it excels in are so important to my enjoyment of the work.

http://i.imgur.com/CjdLt.png

The sparse, barely existing backgrounds; the crude outlines of non-important characters - and the important characters aren't really much better except for being in color; the barely existing animation - this is sub-Shaft tier. At least Shaft usually has something to look at. Artland really dropped the ball here.

Cwarrior

It is seriously in the running for the most bland visuals I've ever seen in anime.

The manga isn't any different it's hideous more so then the anime somehow(yes unfortunately i watched some of the anime without realizing i read the manga, that's how forgettable the story is).

It's some really dumb shit if femmeworth read this dumbshit he/she would die.

Lovely complex episode 1was good after that it took a drop off, dropped it at around ep 7.

DiGiKerot

You know, I've kind of got a softspot for Fushigi Yuugi. Probably because it was pretty much the first thing I grabbed once I got my region free DVD player, since Pioneer (as it was back then) was just about to release the first set at the time. I got really annoyed when it turned out that the horrific cliffhanger than first boxset ended on was resolved in the next episode, only for the one afterwards to be a recap. Infact, that still irks me, now that I think about it.

Can't say I've watched it since it was first released, though. I'm happy to keep my glasses thoroughly rose-tinted!

- Utena, obviously

Is Utena really an adaptation, though?

Muv Luv Alternative Total Eclipse 9
tumblr_m9dp47HJds1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Weve seen Yuuya angry more times than happy, which hopefully changes as we go along, though with the people he constantly has to work with, Im not that hopeful. The show succeeds extensively in make me really dislike any of the characters that are not part of Argos. Scarlet Twins were starting too just based on the last episode and the beach one, but then this episode its like all is forgotten. Even worst the Russian or whatever commander lady and her subordinates are just awful personality, though I had a few favorites among them, Jacob is kind of cool.
Though unfortunately it was really sad when he died after being surrounded :( ugh, his comrades could have assisted him or something not just stand there

The in TSF communication among Top Gun, Stella, Chobi, and Macaroni were hilarious and probably my favorite part of the episode, besides Yuuya contributions to the battle. Real good and post battle moment
Rail gun was awesome and definitely what I signed up for

Kind of cant wait for more, and the BETA's still are ugly, wish we get more TSF v TSF fights.

Articalys

Rinne no Lagrange S2 8

Once again, 19 minutes of useless junk and 3 minutes of actual plot.
Moid confirmed for final boss (again)?

Also, I want that insert song "Flower in Green" right now. Looks like it's going to be on the S2 OST coming mid-September. Good to know.

BluWacky

You know, I've kind of got a softspot for Fushigi Yuugi. Probably because it was pretty much the first thing I grabbed once I got my region free DVD player, since Pioneer (as it was back then) was just about to release the first set at the time. I got really annoyed when it turned out that the horrific cliffhanger than first boxset ended on was resolved in the next episode, only for the one afterwards to be a recap. Infact, that still irks me, now that I think about it.

I think a lot of people have a soft spot for Fushigi Yuugi for very similar reasons; it was also one of the easier fansubs to get hold of on VHS, if I remember rightly. MIAKAAAAA! TAMAHOMEEEEE!!!! etc.

I can't really imagine Fushigi Yuugi ever being animated these days, let alone licensed for US release.

Is Utena really an adaptation, though?

Heh. Not really, you're right. I just have Utena on the brain. It also has some truly non-existent animation in a couple of places :p

Replace Utena with Nana, then. Or, apparently, Magic Knight Rayearth, which I think is the only shoujo manga adaptation on the Sakuga Wiki - although I would say that after the first few episodes I think the production values aren't exactly great, and the show hasn't aged particularly well.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Rinne no Lagrange S2 8

Once again, 19 minutes of useless junk and 3 minutes of actual plot.
Moid confirmed for final boss (again)?

Also, I want that insert song "Flower in Green" right now.

Maru, wan, fingersex, etc?
(I like that my copy of Chrome doesn't think of fingersex as a spelling mistake now. lol)

cajunator

Banned
Also, Space Brothers is the only anime where I manage to stay focused for 20 minutes.
Don't know why, but I have a hard time doing this for other animes, no matter how good they are.
I usually pause the thing, do something else, and then come back to it. It's not that I'm bored... I don't know. That's weird. Might be the reason why I don't watch many animes. (I'm more of a manga guy anyway)

You're not alone. I think a surprising number of us watch anime like this. I know I definitely do.

To love ru Darkness OVA

This gives me hope they can do the manga justice, even if it requires waiting for the BDs.

We agree on Misaki, Watashi, and Momo now. I like this trend.

Dear god man you should spoiler-tag that stuff, it might make people go blind.

Normally I'm not one to criticize the art of an anime, but my god that is truly awful. I used to draw mainly machines and cars and building designs, so this kind of lazy artwork is actually kind of offensive to me lol.

Articalys

The first two Madoka movies are going to be a new Shaft record. Revisions of revisions!
Well, it is for theatrical release, though, so I suppose it's a bit warranted.

Jex

The first two Madoka movies are going to be a new Shaft record. Revisions of revisions!
Well, it is for theatrical release, though, so I suppose it's a bit warranted.

I dunno, judging from their track record I think it just shows that they have no idea what they're doing!

BluWacky

If this pic had some known directors name on it like hosoda , am sure gaf would fabing vigorously, jex would write a 5k word essay on it and branduil would do the same but one about how it changed his life.

Oh FFS. Akitaroh Daichi is plenty known in the thread - everyone loves to pile on Now and Then, Here and There - but was a big name in the 90s for directing Kodocha in particular.

It's shit. Obviously shit. Regardless of who directed it.

Novid

Banned
So the BD doesn't have that like... filter thing over the characters anymore? I quite liked that.

if it does, its faint...

I understand doing revisions, but thats to give one fluffer hair, fix animation mistakes, uncenor the censored... but what shaft did was a bit too far even for me.

Oh FFS. Akitaroh Daichi is plenty known in the thread - everyone loves to pile on Now and Then, Here and There - but was a big name in the 90s for directing Kodocha in particular.

It's shit. Obviously shit. Regardless of who directed it.

Don't let yourself get riled up by obvious bait. Anyone not intent on creating strawmen would see that being Mamoru Hosoda does not exempt you from criticism here - just consider the Spiral OP, or even Summer Wars.

Articalys

Actually, what would really cause me to die laughing is if, when they release the movies on BD, they add another layer of revisions to the same scenes on top of that.

...what are the odds of that happening?

Jex

Cheap... sterile, lifeless b/g art - in every scene. One of the reasons I dropped Space Bros.. If you're not going to give me an interesting story, AND you're going to force clean hallways and blank blank walls down my throat why am I watching you!?

Yeah but stuff has to be clean up in a space, for safety reasons. It totally makes sense.

DiGiKerot

It's also the guy who is directing Poyo Poyo. Everyone loves that round, round cat.

I like to think of myself as a pretty big Daichi fan (to the point where I actually have all of that Japanese Kodocha DVDs - admittedly bought at a significant discount back when we had a good exchange rate!), but I think I only made it maybe two episodes into Bokura ga Ita, if that. I can't say it left anything of an impression on me, either.

The manga isn't any different it's hideous more so then the anime somehow(yes unfortunately i watched some of the anime without realizing i read the manga, that's how forgettable the story is).

It's some really dumb shit if femmeworth read this dumbshit he/she would die.

Lovely complex episode 1was good after that it took a drop off, dropped it at around ep 7.
*eyebrow raises*
Actually, what would really cause me to die laughing is if, when they release the movies on BD, they add another layer of revisions to the same scenes on top of that.

Oh that would be hilarious. If they don't touch up the visuals in every scene it's going to be (more of) a visual clusterfuck.

jman2050

It'd convince me that Shaft has this compulsive need to animate even if it means just dicking around with stuff they've already done multiple times.

BluWacky

It's also the guy who is directing Poyo Poyo. Everyone loves that round, round cat.

I like to think of myself as a pretty big Daichi fan (to the point where I actually have all of that Japanese Kodocha DVDs - admittedly bought at a significant discount back when we had a good exchange rate!), but I think I only made it maybe two episodes into Bokura ga Ita, if that. I can't say it left anything of an impression on me, either.

He's not the most consistent of directors, I think, even within the same franchise - I bought the first season of Jubei-chan based on how much I enjoyed The Counterattack of Siberian Yagyuu and it was significantly inferior.

I think the conclusion we can all draw is that no-one should waste any time on watching Bokura ga Ita, basically!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom